Testing Gaia's blessing

Options
2»

Comments

• klys
    klys Posts: 283 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I like how you just ignore parts or even sometimes the whole of my posts. You assume that the HoT part of the skill is the only part of the skill worth describing in the description- not taking anything else about the skill into consideration.

I think we're done here. Ill summarize the results of this thread:

these are the concerns originally ~
    It ticks 5 times and lasts 15 seconds (description seems to be wrong) and heals a bit more than what 25% m. attack + 783 + heal blessing would suggest.

Another interesting thing about the skill is the range - its misleading. It's actually an AOE heal zhen centered around you, similar to how seeker's edged blur works. This means the AOE heal only works if the target is within 20m of you at the time of the heal tick.

The skill DOES heal 25%m. attack + 783 - simply un-equipping weapon for static numbers will confirm this.

"party members withing a 20 meter area will recover HP" - there is nothing misleading about the fact that it is an AEO heal centered around you.

The skill ticks 5 times. You claim the skill description has a typo and the entire duration should be read as 15 sec, not 12, because the 3 sec delay preceding the first tick should be counted, following the format of other skills that have a HoT/DoT.

The counter-argument is that, unlike other HoT/DoT skills, Gaia's has no secondary effect that takes place immediately - encompassing the entire duration, including the first delay. Because of this, and the fact the description is there to describe the whole skill, and not just the HoT part, the 12 second duration described is justified.

TLDR?: The description is technically correct with both 12 sec and 15 sec - how one interprets the skill for themselves can't be helped.
  • Burnout - Harshlands
    Burnout - Harshlands Posts: 2,585 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Options
    klys wrote: »

The skill ticks 5 times. You claim the skill description has a typo and the entire duration should be read as 15 sec, not 12, because the 3 sec delay preceding the first tick should be counted, following the format of other skills that have a HoT/DoT.

The counter-argument is that, unlike other HoT/DoT skills, Gaia's has no secondary effect that takes place immediately - encompassing the entire duration, including the first delay. Because of this, and the fact the description is there to describe the whole skill, and not just the HoT part, the 12 second duration described is justified.

TLDR?: The description is technically correct with both 12 sec and 15 sec - how one interprets the skill for themselves can't be helped.

No. You can't pretend that you can just change the rules just so you can justify your own weird reasoning. You claimed falling petals lasts 9 seconds because the delay is interactive - well guess what? The delay in gaias is also interactive.

You have to survive for 3 seconds before getting any sort of heal - then after the heal ticks, you need to survive for another three seconds. The 3 second delay is part of the interaction of a *heal over time*.

The whole point of a heal over time is that you need to wait to get a heal. That's why every single other HoT in the game has the 3 second delay.

It's not unique to gaias. All you're doing is coming up with some complex logic as to why the HoT lasts 15 seconds but the description only says 12.

Read the descriptions for ironheart and falling petals. IH heals for 15 seconds. Gaias heals for 12 seconds. Just because IH can be "purged" doesn't mean the heal duration suddenly changes. Ig gaias was suddenly given a buff icon, it now heals for 15 seconds instead of 12 according to your system?

Nope, it makes zero sense, and you know it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I replied to the 7th topic on the 1st page of mystic forums, and got reported for necro. Plz save mystic forums.
  • klys
    edited November 2013
    Options
    No. You can't pretend that you can just change the rules just so you can justify your own weird reasoning. You claimed falling petals lasts 9 seconds because the delay is interactive - well guess what? The delay in gaias is also interactive.

falling petals heals every second for 9 seconds, with a dynamic delay

You have to survive for 3 seconds before getting any sort of heal - then after the heal ticks, you need to survive for another three seconds. The 3 second delay is part of the interaction of a *heal over time*.

Talk about twisting reasoning... you just admitted that falling petals is different than other HoTs. How does that hurt my argument?

The whole point of a heal over time is that you need to wait to get a heal. That's why every single other HoT in the game has the 3 second delay.

No, WTF are you smoking? Falling petals does not have a 3 sec delay

It's not unique to gaias. All you're doing is coming up with some complex logic as to why the HoT lasts 15 seconds but the description only says 12.
    How am i being complex? I've been straightforward this whole time. You're the one grasping at anything to save face- seeing as how the entirety of your inital complaint has been countered.

Read the descriptions for ironheart and falling petals. IH heals for 15 seconds. Gaias heals for 12 seconds. Just because IH can be "purged" doesn't mean the heal duration suddenly changes. Ig gaias was suddenly given a buff icon, it now heals for 15 seconds instead of 12 according to your system?

The buff would be a secondary effect, and then the 15 sec would be justified- how is that unclear?

Nope, it makes zero sense, and you know it.

It makes sense and you know it.
  • Burnout - Harshlands
    edited November 2013
    Options
    It makes sense and you know it.

Do you even play the mystic class? The falling petals has the same heal delay as any other HoT. The heal ticks are 3 seconds apart - you don't get healed every second for 9 seconds. You get healed every 3 seconds for 9 seconds.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I replied to the 7th topic on the 1st page of mystic forums, and got reported for necro. Plz save mystic forums.
  • klys
    edited November 2013
    Options
    the delay with the FP buff and the delay in between the hit and the first tick are 2 different things- which separates this skill from gaia's.

And no, there is no 3 sec delay preceding the first tick- it's around 1 second. If anything the description on petals needs to fixed to 7 seconds instead of 9.

But please- keep going off onto tangents
  • Burnout - Harshlands
    edited November 2013
    Options
    the delay with the FP buff and the delay in between the hit and the first tick are 2 different things- which separates this skill from gaia's.

And no, there is no 3 sec delay preceding the first tick- it's around 1 second. If anything the description on petals needs to fixed to 7 seconds instead of 9.

But please- keep going off onto tangents

Please play a mystic before you post. The delay is not 1 second. It's variable, because the game only checks for a tick every 3 seconds. If you get hit 2 seconds into the tick, then you get a 1 second delay. If you get hit 1 second into the tick, you get a 2 second delay.

The same thing happens with Gaia. Check the delay after casting the skill - it varies from 1-3 seconds. It's a HoT mechanic, and all HoT mechanics work the same way in PWI. The game descriptions still count that delay as 3 seconds though, for the purposes of # of ticks. (9 sec = 3 ticks, 15 sec = 5 ticks, etc).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• klys
    edited November 2013
    Options
    If this delay preceding the first tick is truly a random variable non-dependent on when you or someone else triggers the skill it's news to me. It doesn't make sense from a programming standpoint, and doesn't make sense from a gameplay perspective, because i've never experienced a 3 sec delay on the first tick of FP. If someone can confirm this then ill admit i learned something new.

Nonetheless, it is still a tangent of the issue~ Gaia's, regardless of its HoT component, has no secondary status effect overlapping the first delay. The skill's description purpose is to describe the WHOLE skill not just one part of it.

If you really want to push an issue on fixing broken skill descriptions you should have a look at Swirling Mist.
  • Xaner - Dreamweaver
    Xaner - Dreamweaver Posts: 195 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Options
    So if a 3 mystics use gaia's blessing with a one second casting interval.. Does a person get a gaia's blessing heal every second after the 3rd mystic has casted XD?
  • Burnout - Harshlands
    edited November 2013
    Options
    If this delay preceding the first tick is truly a random variable non-dependent on when you or someone else triggers the skill it's news to me. It doesn't make sense from a programming standpoint, and doesn't make sense from a gameplay perspective, because i've never experienced a 3 sec delay on the first tick of FP. If someone can confirm this then ill admit i learned something new.

Nonetheless, it is still a tangent of the issue~ Gaia's, regardless of its HoT component, has no secondary status effect overlapping the first delay. The skill's description purpose is to describe the WHOLE skill not just one part of it.

If you really want to push an issue on fixing broken skill descriptions you should have a look at Swirling Mist.

That's my point, the delay at the start of cast before it heals is part of the skill. It's a HoT.

@ Xaner - I wondered that but I would need to find another mystic w/ gaias to test whether it overlaps.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• klys
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Yes it is part of the skill- it's part of every skill with a HoT, but Gaia's has no secondary status- so the time the skill actually affects users is limited to those 12 sec (after the first delay). If it gave reduced damage for the full duration like BT, or had a status indicator that could be purged like IH- then it would for sure be a misleading description.

Xaner, yes- same concept as having multiple BB's going, except no reduced dmg, time limited, and movable.
  • Burnout - Harshlands
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Yes it is part of the skill- it's part of every skill with a HoT, but Gaia's has no secondary status- so the time the skill actually affects users is limited to those 12 sec (after the first delay). If it gave reduced damage for the full duration like BT, or had a status indicator that could be purged like IH- then it would for sure be a misleading description.

Xaner, yes- same concept as having multiple BB's going, except no reduced dmg, time limited, and movable.

Why are you so obsessed with secondary effects? They have no bearing on the actual healing part.

IH description says it heals for 15 secs. There's 5 ticks. It says nothing about giving a buff.

Petals says it heals for 9 secs. There's 3 ticks.

Take edged blur as well. It can't be purged, and lasts 12 seconds, but it still ticks 4 times. It doesn't affect anything for its first 3 seconds, but the description/duration there is correct.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• klys
    edited November 2013
    Options
    i'm obsessed with secondary effects as much as you are obsessed with the HoT effect. The skill description is there to describe the skill as a whole. When a skill is different than another because of a secondary effect, or lack thereof, it stands reason to assume that the skill description may be different.

I offered this possible explanation, and we have been going in circles.
    If this is the only aspect of the skill description you wish to keep conversing about, i assume you've reasoned that the heal amount and AOE status are described correctly.

I can live with you not accepting that one part as 12 sec, and it's clear i'm not going to change your mind ~ i'm done for now.
  • Burnout - Harshlands
    edited November 2013
    Options
    i'm obsessed with secondary effects as much as you are obsessed with the HoT effect. The skill description is there to describe the skill as a whole. When a skill is different than another because of a secondary effect, or lack thereof, it stands reason to assume that the skill description may be different.

I offered this possible explanation, and we have been going in circles.
    If this is the only aspect of the skill description you wish to keep conversing about, i assume you've reasoned that the heal amount and AOE status are described correctly.

I can live with you not accepting that one part as 12 sec, and it's clear i'm not going to change your mind ~ i'm done for now.

I'm not accepting it because it's wrong based on the evidence of how every other HoT works...Edged blur also has no secondary effect besides damage, but the listed duration is correct. I don't care whether I'm right or wrong - that's not the point.

The point is, the listed duration is wrong, but you're saying it's right by just ignoring part of the skill - the 3 second delay is part of every HoT. If a HoT/DoT has an initial tick of damage, it always says so in the skill itself, like swirling mist or crown of flames.

(In the case of crown of flames, it does base magic damage as initial damage, then the DoT lasts 9 seconds, with ticks every 3 seconds apart, for 3 ticks total).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands
    Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands Posts: 7,231 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Wow 5 pages of you two arguing on a skill...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

b:dirty "I **** rainbows and love everyone"-Longknife b:cute
  • Euthymius - Heavens Tear
    Euthymius - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,162 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Wow 5 pages of you two arguing on a skill...

Its better than the usual inactivity this place suffers~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Remember: OP may be a duck|OP/GMs/Devs may not deliver|Search function is your friend|Lurk more|Be wary of Mods: they can't be trusted|This place isn't a hugbox|Your tears sustain me|Know what Bait is|"Soon" may never come|Postcount, Dubs, and other GETs are important|Don't revive long dead threads|There is a section for everything|You can be banned for anything|No Fun Allowed outside of OT|Sweetiebot rules OT|"Circlejerks" are inevitable|Threads can be derailed and saved|Those who use"XD" should off themselves at their earliest convenience|
  • CapnK - Sanctuary
    CapnK - Sanctuary Posts: 1,166 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Options

Swirling Mist's description is actually correct! It's just worded in a very confusing manner.
  • Burnout - Harshlands
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Its better than the usual inactivity this place suffers~

This was all just a secret conspiracy to revive mystic forums b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]