All Path BM- Pure Blademaster

124»

Comments

• Vindis - Dreamweaver
    Vindis - Dreamweaver Posts: 614 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Atmos strike works too. However, it comes down to a few things:

1. Is it going to be more efficient to just drop those mobs out of range?
    2. Do you have a sin taking those out?
    3. Is your time better spent aoeing the main group to get those down faster instead of pushing 1-2 mobs into DB/Barrage/Vortex Range?

Now I used to utilize pushbacks in RB (I don't do RB anymore since they nerfed the coin rewards). I would do pushbacks the AOE DD is strong enough to make it worth my time, or there is enough mobs to push back. Really in many cases I do enough damage to drop said runners easy. However, if it is a big enough group and aggro is right, I can line enough of them up with Meteor and get em all back into AOE. If your DD power is not as good as the AOErs, it is efficient to use pushback if you utilize it well.

In Lunar, unless some idiot pushes the mobs out of range I have the mobs grouped well to the point its not needed. Everything there is pullable in 1-2 pulls and does group well unless you're doing other paths...and it's still not hard to get them in close enough to drop them in those other paths. Really it's more of a pull strategy there, its not the same as all the runners in RB. If your puller sucks or something goes wrong - yea go for this.

I really like atmos and meteor for warsong pavillion defends though. It makes head management very easy when combined with smack.

Why can't bms on my server be like you and Saku? T_T
    Ring Engraving/Amulet Carving Guide - pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1174451

Retired from PWI.

b:bye
  • Jaabg - Sanctuary
    Jaabg - Sanctuary Posts: 2,256 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Just to add to using push back in delta, often times a pull is bad, or barb did not agro archers on the pull. Using push back, takes 3~5 shots to get all archers in aoe range. Often time the dd is low for me as a bm to go out and push back. It takes 20 seconds to a minute to get all archer mob ready.

I have two choices at that point.

1) Focus on killing the physical dd that can be stunned and hope the barb reagros them with his agro skills and pulls them in.

2) Hope a sin did decide to aoe and take all the agro on him/her self. If the sin has not agroed the archers, it only takes 1~3 aoe to get agro the archer mobs, use a running skill, pull them in aoe, run back,hf/gs which ever is available, and use axe skills as normal. The archers will die quick.

I prefer strategy 2 most of the time, often times when the barb is pulling mobs in i check how the barb agros the mobs. If the barb is using alpha male only to pull, i do nothing for that squad except the bare minimum. If the barb spends some time to build agro, i often go forward and use fissure just before the barb turns around to run back. This often times both the archers and melee mobs to be grouped up together, hf+1 aoe takes care of the archers on any wave usually. If they do survive, sins can pick them off easily.

People seem to underestimate the usefulness of bm in keeping the squad alive. There have been numerous times when the barb dies on wave 4 in stage 3 for what ever reason, and my bm is left alone to tank the mobs of both wave 4 and 5. I have no OP gear like others here, but with a bit of help from squad members it is not hard to tank those waves as a bm. Most people are kept alive, but it depends on squad make up usually. When i go with friends i never have this issue. One time it was 2 sins, 1 seeker, 1 barb, 1 bm and cleric. Our aoe was not super high, but the barb timed his arma with hf, the sins sub sead with hf and we did fine for full delta. Other times we have some OP aoe combos where the mobs are ping ponged between db/boa/vortex and no one takes any damage.

In most of the above squads, i always found it more time consuming to push back most of the archers back in the aoe range. If it is a few archers, they can be easily cleaned up after the bulk dies. If the barb/puller messed up in pulling, strategy 2 works best. Meteor rush may have a linear push back, but atmos strike is a single target push back skill. Just my thoughts on the matter. Btw, barbs have a push back skill to, slam. The barb has to do it behind the archers though so they get knocked back into the aoe.
  • Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    Sakubatou - Sanctuary Posts: 4,001 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Recapping in my own words since Maelael and Jaabg covered it all pretty well.

Meteor rush is an aoe knockback, so you can use it on multiple mobs. Atmos strike is single target with 6 and 8 second cooldowns. So if its a single mob make the choice of knocking into zhenning area or just killing (normally apsing down quickly). If its a group of mobs I prefer to just aoe them all and either kill or get aggro then have them chase me into zhen area. Actually, since sins only have 2 aoes (3 if they have aeu skill) but they hit really hard then this is almost a perfect job for them. Have them teleport to the middle of the archers, subsea, earthen rift, teleport back to cleric and the mobs will follow. Their aoes hit hard enough that they're almost sure to get aggro on the range mobs if no one else is attack and the pulling time is about perfect for their cooldown.

When running mobs are aggroed they'll kite twice. Typically as the barb rounds them up they'll run once. Then as he runs past bb they'll follow. If you give the barb a moment the mobs will attack once and then kite their second time as he comes back towards them with the melee mobs. This is their second kite and they shouldn't move again unless re aggroed.

Consider that and keep an aoe out for how many times the mobs have run from the barb. I've used Atmos and Meteor to knock the mobs towards the barb (which should be the center of the zhenning circle) and had them turn around and run back towards me away from the barb because they hadn't kited twice. Sometimes its easiest to just go behind the mobs and start killing thm and when aggro switches to you they'll run away from you right at the zhen group.

I hit my 7th level 100 and managed to do 8 BH Deltas today (7 classes, twice on my sin, twice on my archer, but dualed my cleric and barb). Kind of fun learning everyones job :D All I can say is each Delta squad is different and the second stage 3,4,5 waves are perfect for figuring out how your squad is gonna work for later stages. They're easier mobs, physical, but have a difficult melee/range mix which takes some finesse.
    Seven 100+ characters leveled the hard way. Free to play. Mystic, Psychic, and Wizard left to level. b:victory
  • Vindis - Dreamweaver
    Vindis - Dreamweaver Posts: 614 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Recapping in my own words since Maelael and Jaabg covered it all pretty well.

Meteor rush is an aoe knockback, so you can use it on multiple mobs. Atmos strike is single target with 6 and 8 second cooldowns. So if its a single mob make the choice of knocking into zhenning area or just killing (normally apsing down quickly). If its a group of mobs I prefer to just aoe them all and either kill or get aggro then have them chase me into zhen area. Actually, since sins only have 2 aoes (3 if they have aeu skill) but they hit really hard then this is almost a perfect job for them. Have them teleport to the middle of the archers, subsea, earthen rift, teleport back to cleric and the mobs will follow. Their aoes hit hard enough that they're almost sure to get aggro on the range mobs if no one else is attack and the pulling time is about perfect for their cooldown.

Is Sanctuary mostly melee toons still? My server has a pretty high archer/caster pop, but still alot of aps toons. And definitely, most bms and especially sins are not doing what you suggest here.

I will definitely recommend the sins do as you said. I often find myself in circumstances with 2+ bms/sins and I am the only aoe (for like w2/3 bh if my brother is at work). And I am unable to get any of the mobs into aoe myself (because of BoA). I would prefer the sins/bms/barbs stay here and focus aoe/HF/SS everything rather than run after the archer mobs (they mostly do the latter). If I have a tanky seeker/barb/wiz or a higher refined archer I can use Arrow Inferno or BoA the ranged mobs from the back side of BB to pull the ranged mobs into melee range (since ranged mobs like to stand just outside of vortex/db range).

Also of note, most Deltas are done full spawn point on my server now (not sure if this is how others are).

Also also, thanks again for posting in such detail. Helps me understand and further appreciate the BM role in squads (I can tell a pro BM when I see one :D)
    Ring Engraving/Amulet Carving Guide - pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1174451

Retired from PWI.

b:bye
  • Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    edited December 2012
    Also also, thanks again for posting in such detail. Helps me understand and further appreciate the BM role in squads (I can tell a pro BM when I see one :D)

I know my detail can be a little...excruciating. I put it there because I find if I don't in these forums I need to explain things repeatedly rather than having just covered it in more expanse the first time, but I do feel like it clutters things for people who already know 99% of the info and are just looking for a new tip or two.

Sanctuary is pretty balanced on chars. I think we lack mystics and have an abundance of sins for pve and archers for pvp but overall pretty well balanced. My TW faction waxes and wains on what class we need and what we don't need. Sanctuary gets some **** for being a pve carebear server but my first toon was on Harshlands, a pvp server, and I would pop over there and watch pk occasionally. Its mostly level 100s+ killing low levels or people suiciding. I think the PvE environment really allowed people to focus on learning all their toons skills without fear of being ganked at some point. More duals, more PvP for just fun, more experimentation to actually learn the class. We have some real skill. My faction is Legendary and many of us are free-to-play and primarily PvE but we're the #1 faction currently, we go back and forth with Vindicate who are infamous cash shoppers (not all of them, but they pride themselves on money spent in the game) and most of those are PvP only. Took one on a BH Seat a while ago and he didn't know where to pick up BH platform or that Drake's Bash had a stun on it >.<

Anyway. I'm learning Delta on my archer right now. Experimenting with targetting the highest life/def melee mob and barraging, using STA on ranged mobs or STA and Thunderous, just focusing on range, doing 2 attacks on ranged then switching to melee...

Yes, most Deltas are done at spawn point on Sanctuary. People think its significantly faster, although the only real time you save is about a 1.5 minute travel time between boss and first wave, so 15 minutes for a full delta difference. The main reason I still encourage it is because the stun waves are much easier at spawn when the mobs are all grouped up. A 15 second Bodhi or vac for a barb means they loop around, them, roar, and kill all before vac wears off. When they run to start they're in a very long chain making rounding them up before vac dies difficult.

Two things I want BMs to do more in Deltas is use Bolt of Tyresues and to time their HFs better. Bolt is a freeze, not a stun, and works on ranged mobs too. The barb will run past bb and the mobs will follow, then he'll loop back towards the ranged mobs who will stop and take one attack. At that moment the melee and the ranged are right next to each other and its the perfect time to Bolt and freeze everything in a nice zhenning bunch. Its also a Frighten/Muddle debuff on mobs so if you have a squishy barb it'll give them a chance to recover as the bulk of the mobs die. It only uses 1 spark so you can chain with HF or with full chi you can even Bolt, HF, (cloud eruption) GS. Because its not a stun the barb can still be getting bestial rage chi for Sunders, Armas, Untamed Wrath... to keep aggro. I see alot of bm's trying to HF the mobs as the barb runs by, or just bad positioning (standing in front of melees but away from ranged). Try to wait until mobs are stopped so they're not moving as you try to attack and aoe them to make best use of your hf.

Oh! One more thing. Alot of BMs don't know this but HF is a ranged attack (8m) with a 12m diameter around the target. Meaning it doesn't matter where you are standing when HF is cast, the 100% amp curse will be all around the targetted mob. Use that when planning your HFs.
    Seven 100+ characters leveled the hard way. Free to play. Mystic, Psychic, and Wizard left to level. b:victory
  • vicpaaa
    vicpaaa Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    If i decide to sacrifice 1 dex for 1 vit every 2 lvls. will it affect my endgame alot?
  • Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    edited January 2013
    vicpaaa wrote: »
    If i decide to sacrifice 1 dex for 1 vit every 2 lvls. will it affect my endgame alot?

Not really. In fact, when I hit 100 I moved 45 points into vit for a couple months so I could pk. I had my level 100 gear and there was something like +37 dex on all of it so i brought my dex down to 200 even and put what I could spare into vit to help with pking.

Just make sure you have enough dex to wear your next weapon each time and plan ornaments and tome around that.

I then later restat everything back out of vit and into strength, giving me 3 vitality, 3 magic, 200 dex, and everything else in strength. This is advised when you have enough refines on your armor that vit isn't needed.
  • FissureX - Lost City
    FissureX - Lost City Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    5 STR a level with base DEX and VIT capped at 60 (Or at 53 for reset notes):

Erm, what does this mean? If you put 5 STR per level that's all of your stat points per level
  • Arocus - Archosaur
    Arocus - Archosaur Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited February 2013

Erm, what does this mean? If you put 5 STR per level that's all of your stat points per level

It means that once you have DEX and VIT at 60 (or decide to leave VIT at 53 so it can be reset to 3 with one reset note), you add all stat points to STR.
  • FissureX - Lost City
    FissureX - Lost City Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    It means that once you have DEX and VIT at 60 (or decide to leave VIT at 53 so it can be reset to 3 with one reset note), you add all stat points to STR.

So pretty much every level up from the start you add points only to Dex and Vitality until they hit 60, then add to STR? So that would be like, starting to add STR at level 40 O_o
  • Arocus - Archosaur
    Arocus - Archosaur Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    So pretty much every level up from the start you add points only to Dex and Vitality until they hit 60, then add to STR? So that would be like, starting to add STR at level 40 O_o

Not exactly. You'll need 3 STR per level for axes, so it'd be more like 3 STR, 1 DEX, 1 VIT per level until you get to the amount you'll cap DEX/VIT at. After that, all STR.
  • Sylvae - Sanctuary
    Sylvae - Sanctuary Posts: 1,018 Arc User
    edited February 2013

Oh dear god; never, ever, ever do that ****. It is the path towards Lost City server incompetence. If you want it easy, just add 3 str and 2 dex every level. Know that if you have trouble grinding/BHing/Rebirthing, that it isn't the build, it's that you are terrible. And apparently need to take the time to learn how to actually play.
  • Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    edited February 2013

This was sad like you were quoting something and I can't find where it's quoted.

At some point in the thread there was a discussion for BMs that wanted to add vit and felt a 3str/2dex build would be too squishy. I was trying to be diplomatic and not insist that there was only one right way to build a BM and so we got into some ways to add vitality. Here's the plain and simple truth: you don't need vit, and you really only complicate things by straying from the 3/2 build. I've seen BMs who added vit then had to use evasion ornaments with +strength adds to use their axes, which is actually a loss in survivability. Vit is always helpful, but it requires more gear planning than its worth in most cases.

At some point I was suggesting dex tomes and a 1 vit every two levels until you had 28 vit. If you stick with a 3/2 build then at level 100 you'll have 305 strength and 205 dex base, and with gear you'll probably have near 220-230 dex. That was the wiggle room I was trying to work with, but it really is better to have too much dex than too much vit.

That's why I never wrote down any gear plans for building a bm with vit in it. Its too complicated to follow and too easy to **** up, and over all vit isn't needed.
  • Maelael - Heavens Tear
    Maelael - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,497 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    This was sad like you were quoting something and I can't find where it's quoted.

Its from my seciton. The Str max Vit/Dex at 60 (53 for resets) is the old school pure axe build for AOEing.
    pwcalc.com/bb6fc16982637a5c / pwcalc.com/28948ee5778526f5
  • Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    edited February 2013
    Its from my seciton. The Str max Vit/Dex at 60 (53 for resets) is the old school pure axe build for AOEing.

Ah, right! Don't.

Good builds in 2008 were only good because people didn't understand aps yet and many pieces of -int gear weren't implemented. Everyone but sage barbs have moved on from this, and they like to show off higher hp instead of actual effectiveness.
  • Nalvaes - Raging Tide
    Nalvaes - Raging Tide Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The requirement to use Flame Tsunami has recently been changed to 75% Health f:victory
    Chaos is an ally not something to avoid...After all, how can your foes stand up to you if they have no idea what your next move will be?

Gear and weapons may make strong opponents but even a strong foe can be felled by the right tactics...
  • Joshcja - Sanctuary
    Joshcja - Sanctuary Posts: 3,502 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Ah, right! Don't.

Good builds in 2008 were only good because people didn't understand aps yet and many pieces of -int gear weren't implemented. Everyone but sage barbs have moved on from this, and they like to show off higher hp instead of actual effectiveness.

Totally irrelevant axe bm talk, damit bobby

Pre packs aps set was

tt99 LA wrist boot
    tt99 HA chest legs
    tt100 fists/deicides (I think we actually had someone on our sever farm a set of tt100's pre packs)
    g13 lunar cape/trophy mode (people had just started farming lunar/ trophy mode was implemented in early 09)

there was no tome at that time so 4.0 was the cap sans -.15 OHT wrists. Man we speculated the hell out of those things.

Archers could hit 5 aps though. So ya, BM's 4erver out DD'd with our own weapons.

The only interval items that have been added are r8r chest/boot, vana legs, tome. After the tome all additional interval items have only added to survivability.

The "good" builds of 08 were as horrible then as they are now.
    Gifs are hard to make work here
  • icemensis
    icemensis Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Hello I started to play Perfect World International and I made a blade master but I dont know if I choose the attribute points correclty,and what skills I need to level Im level 17 and
    I have: 55 str,26 vit,20 dex,5 magic, and my skills are: draw blood level 3,drake ray level 3,cloud sprint level 2,aura of the golden bell level 1,tiger maw level 3,stream strike level 2 it is correct?Or I need to start another character or to restat?
  • Walpurga - Dreamweaver
    Walpurga - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,028 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Restart a fresh toon

your STR should be [(your level - 1) * 3 ]+5 because you stat 3 str per level

your DEX should be [(your level - 1) * 2 ]+5 because you stat 2 dex per level

your VIT and MAG should be 5. At some point you will buy a reset note and bring those down to 3 each. Your HP will come from gear alone.
    Channels

youtube .com/user/WallyPWS Active

youtube .com/user/tehnewblife Semi Inactive
  • Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    edited July 2013
    icemensis wrote: »
    Hello I started to play Perfect World International and I made a blade master but I dont know if I choose the attribute points correclty
    Restart a fresh toon

your STR should be [(your level - 1) * 3 ]+5 because you stat 3 str per level

your DEX should be [(your level - 1) * 2 ]+5 because you stat 2 dex per level

your VIT and MAG should be 5. At some point you will buy a reset note and bring those down to 3 each. Your HP will come from gear alone.

Lol, so harsh.

What Walpurga means is at endgame you'll more than likely remove all the vit you've added since your refines and shards will give you as much hp as you need. This will cost around 6m to do, or you can restart your char now if you're not too attached to the name.

However, adding a little vit isn't a bad thing. 26 is fine. You'll just have to find other places to get dex/str to make up for it. A new player usually want have the best gear so I don't think 26 vit is a bad idea and I wouldn't worry about it. Just from now on try to stick to 3/2 since your vit is covered and don't ever add to magic.
  • ovenusarmanio
    ovenusarmanio Posts: 6,695 Community Moderator
    edited July 2013
    A little vit is fine until you can get higher level with decent refines. You probably dont' need more than you already have though. NO need to restart.

kritty%20sig_zpsp0y7ttsb.png
    Thanks to MikoTenshi for the Avi and Kritty for the Signature.
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Walpurga - Dreamweaver
    Walpurga - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,028 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    When you're leveling, if you're doing it right, you really are not going to get hit by any super hard damage. Even if you solo 1-1 squad mode at level 80 you can still cancel everything and camp phys marrow. The thing that really helps you, though, is damage. The faster you kill a mob the less damage you take, basically.

And I was soloing PV 60-74 with 2 pieces of unsharded tt70, npc/quest rest and a pair of TT60 axes, self buffed with BP, 5 v so it really isn't a problem lol
    Channels

youtube .com/user/WallyPWS Active

youtube .com/user/tehnewblife Semi Inactive
  • calicoslim
    calicoslim Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Thanks for help I already started another character and you were right,I dont need vit I choose just str and dex and Im fine thanks:D.
    But I have another questions Im level 23 but I cant learn the Aeolian Blade skill it says that I need to be aware of principle and I am I have even that proof in my inventory,but even if I am Aware of Principle when Im tryng to learn it says:Your persequite level si too low... I dont understand why?
  • Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    Mayfly - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,094 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    If you open up your skill table (R), and click on the Skill Tree link in the lower right corner, you'll see small arrows connecting some of the skills, this is the skill progression. The progression for Aeolian Blade is Tiger Maw->Draw Blood->Stream Strike->Aeolian Blade. You start out knowing Tiger Maw, so you must not have learned either Draw Blood or Stream Strike if you can't learn Aeolian Blade. (You only need 1 level in a prerequisite skill in most cases to learn the next skill; one of the few exceptions, and one that is pertinent for BMs, is Will of the Bodhisattva, where you need level 10 of Cloud Sprint before learning it, but then this is noted on the skill tree.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Weekly Japanese/English bilingual webcomic
    thejapanesepage.com/ebooks/yuki_no_monogatari_manga
  • Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    edited July 2013
    calicoslim wrote: »
    Thanks for help I already started another character and you were right,I dont need vit I choose just str and dex and Im fine thanks:D.
    But I have another questions Im level 23 but I cant learn the Aeolian Blade skill it says that I need to be aware of principle and I am I have even that proof in my inventory,but even if I am Aware of Principle when Im tryng to learn it says:Your persequite level si too low... I dont understand why?

Make sure you have at least level 1 of the skills preceding it: Tiger Maw, Draw Blood, and Stream Strike.
  • kaeanoregon
    kaeanoregon Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013

Recommended, A must:
    Alter Marrow Physical (get to level 5, then level as you can)

Do you mean Alter Marrow Magical as the second one of these?
  • Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    edited November 2013

Recommended, A must:
    Tiger Maw (to level 5, then stop)
    Drakes Ray (to level 5, then stop)
    Draw Blood (to level 5, then stop)
    Golden Bell
    Roar of the Pride (Must Must Must)
    Ocean

Whatever you were going to post probably got cutoff by the apostrophe in Oceans Edge. I'm guessing it was a comment on my recommend skills. Much of the guide honestly needs to be revisited.

At the time I wrote this I was TT90ish and then revised when I was endgame aps (tt99/G15). Then r9 came out and I was still clobering most people with aps instead of axe spam. TheDan and I even had some pk against each other where I was undergeared (tt99+5 vs r9+10) and I probably knocked off 300-400k off his charm with claws before he zerked me after about only 80k of my own charm loss. I just couldn't finish him. But anything less than phys marrowed endgame BMs were killable with claws back then.

I largely favored claws with axe swap for stun/HF until r9t3 became realistic with nation wars which was only about 10 months ago. That's when I switched my playstyle to the currently popular axe skill spam using fast channeling skills.

So this guide was written primarily for PvE. I've always been of the opinion if you learn your class solidly in PvE its only a short jump to learn how to PvP, since most PvP is repetitive. Skills I'd recommend maxing for PvP damage are all 3 Morai Skills and then the axe usable skills with channel + cast under 1.2 seconds, like Drakes Ray, Drake Sweep, Fan of Flames, Draw Blood, Ocean's Edge, and even Tiger Maw. Highland Cleave and Fissure are great pve aoe skills but in PvP the damage:time ratio is actually poor unless using HC to try to jump a charm.
  • kaeanoregon
    kaeanoregon Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I didn't realize I had cut it off. I edited it, but the question was - do you mean Magical for the second Alter Marrow? You have physical listed twice. I haven't gotten the magical one yet, but was curious.
  • Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    edited November 2013
    I didn't realize I had cut it off. I edited it, but the question was - do you mean Magical for the second Alter Marrow? You have physical listed twice. I haven't gotten the magical one yet, but was curious.

Oh yes, ty. Will edit.

Yah, the goal is to keep marrows low until you learn to use them with smaller adjustments first. Then benefits are higher at higher level marrows, but so are the risks, so until people learn when to marrow it's better to start with a low level marrow with less benefit but also less risk.