Testing Gaia's blessing

Options
Burnout - Harshlands
Burnout - Harshlands Posts: 2,585 Arc User
edited November 2013 in Mystic
So yeah I recently had the chance to buy this book for 700k, and since it was a decent price I decided I may as well learn it.

It's a pretty decent skill - has a bit more utility than expected.

It ticks 5 times and lasts 15 seconds (description seems to be wrong) and heals a bit more than what 25% m. attack + 783 + heal blessing would suggest.

I healed for ~7k per tick with 18k m. attack, 5 times every 3 seconds.

Another interesting thing about the skill is the range - its misleading. It's actually an AOE heal zhen centered around you, similar to how seeker's edged blur works. This means the AOE heal only works if the target is within 20m of you at the time of the heal tick.

It does have it's advantages - you can cast it from far away, then holy path into a big firefight and still give everyone around you 8k-20k heal ticks depending on m. attack. I guess it's also similar to how blade tornado works on BM. This also means that it's probably immune to the effects of purge, as there's no buff icon associated with it.

The ticks are a little stronger than a 5-stack demon ironheart from cleric basically.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I replied to the 7th topic on the 1st page of mystic forums, and got reported for necro. Plz save mystic forums.
Post edited by Burnout - Harshlands on

Comments

• klys
    klys Posts: 283 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Hate to kill the party but the description is correct.

It heals 5 times for 12 sec starting with the first tick, every 3 sec ( a couple sec after you finish casting)

cast>delay>tick>3sec>tick>3sec>tick>3sec>tick>3sec>tick

The heal amount is also correct 25% mag dmg +783 ( it's a shet ton regardless)

I also don't see why the description is misleading "party members withing a 20 meter area will recover HP" - seems straightforward to me.

It's a good skill overall, but i rarely use it in pvp
  • Burnout - Harshlands
    edited November 2013
    Options
    klys wrote: »
    Hate to kill the party but the description is correct.

It heals 5 times for 12 sec starting with the first tick, every 3 sec ( a couple sec after you finish casting)

cast>delay>tick>3sec>tick>3sec>tick>3sec>tick>3sec>tick

The heal amount is also correct 25% mag dmg +783 ( it's a shet ton regardless)

I also don't see why the description is misleading "party members withing a 20 meter area will recover HP" - seems straightforward to me.

It's a good skill overall, but i rarely use it in pvp

So you're just ignoring the 3-second delay from initial casting of the skill to the first tick?

Why?

Using that logic, falling petals lasts 6 seconds and IH lasts 12.

For it to be correct the tick should occur on the initial cast, but it actually just does nothing for 3 seconds after you cast it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I replied to the 7th topic on the 1st page of mystic forums, and got reported for necro. Plz save mystic forums.
  • klys
    edited November 2013
    Options
    So you're just ignoring the 3-second delay from initial casting of the skill to the first tick?
    Yes

Why?
    Because the skill doesn't do anything until the first tick.

Using that logic, falling petals lasts 6 seconds and IH lasts 12.
    No. the only way you could use "logic" in comparing this skill to another skill is if the other skill shared the same properties- like blade tornado or that wiz skill. the dead space before falling petals ticks is interactive. Ih stacks. Apples and oranges.

For it to be correct the tick should occur on the initial cast, but it actually just does nothing for 3 seconds after you cast it.
    The skill description is correct in that all the info is accurate. How one interprets it is another story.
    Mystics have a few unique skills- theyre pretty weird
  • Burnout - Harshlands
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Mystics have a few unique skills- theyre pretty weird

Falling petals is interactive, sure, but it still does nothing for 3 seconds after you get hit. It lasts 9 seconds at 3 second delay per tick. (3 ticks total)

Ironheart also does absolutely nothing for the first 3 seconds after you cast it. It lasts 15 seconds at 3 second delay per tick. (5 ticks total)

Ice prison does absolutely nothing for the first 3 seconds after you cast it. It lasts 9 seconds at 3 second delay per tick. (3 ticks total) - note, they recently updated this skill to make it last 12 seconds, thus 4 ticks. Note this skill is the most similar to Gaia's blessing, escept it affects enemies instead of allies.

See where I'm getting at? If it's a PBAOE type skill with 3 second ticks, the first 3 seconds are always counted in its duration. The skill description for gaias duration is for 12 seconds.

...our falling petals is also worded pretty horribly, and our triple spark should be MP, not HP. Someone at pwi apparently hates writing mystic skill descriptions.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• klys
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Falling petals is interactive, sure, but it still does nothing for 3 seconds after you get hit. It lasts 9 seconds at 3 second delay per tick. (3 ticks total)

Ironheart also does absolutely nothing for the first 3 seconds after you cast it. It lasts 15 seconds at 3 second delay per tick. (5 ticks total)

no, that's not how these 2 skills function

Ice prison does absolutely nothing for the first 3 seconds after you cast it. It lasts 9 seconds at 3 second delay per tick. (3 ticks total) - note, they recently updated this skill to make it last 12 seconds, thus 4 ticks. Note this skill is the most similar to Gaia's blessing, escept it affects enemies instead of allies.

Ice prison- i'm not familiar with the details, no comment

See where I'm getting at? If it's a PBAOE type skill with 3 second ticks, the first 3 seconds are always counted in its duration. The skill description for gaias duration is for 12 seconds.
    no , i don't see what you're getting at- excluding ice prison which i have little knowledge of, gaia's blessing is unique. Even blade tornado adds a status effect to the caster immediately, extending throughout the duration of the skill.

...our falling petals is also worded pretty horribly, and our triple spark should be MP, not HP. Someone at pwi apparently hates writing mystic skill descriptions.

i think falling petals description is fine- there are no errors.
    The triple spark description needs to be fixed.
    colors
  • Burnout - Harshlands
    edited November 2013
    Options
    colors

...Have you actually read the descriptions for both falling petals and gaias?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• klys
    edited November 2013
    Options

The first time the target is attacked, they will recover HP equal to 1300 plus 35% of your Magic Attack every second up to 9 seconds. Lasts 1 minute.

• Burnout - Harshlands
    edited November 2013
    Options
    The first time the target is attacked, they will recover HP equal to 1300 plus 35% of your Magic Attack every second up to 9 seconds. Lasts 1 minute.

Gaia's duration is 15 seconds, each tick is delayed by 3 seconds. (spells take effect right after channeling time ends - since gaias has 5 ticks each 3 seconds apart, it lasts for 15 seconds, ending at the final 5th tick). The duration is not 12 seconds as stated in the skill.

Get it now?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• klys
    edited November 2013
    Options
    What are we going in circles?

No the spell takes effect after a delay. From the first tick to the last tick it is 12 sec. The amount it heals is also correct.

Your description of falling petals and ironheart are wrong. How about YOU read the ingame descriptions before misquoting me?

You clearly are new to the mystic class since you just discovered this skill. How about you stop for a second, step back and try to understand what exactly this thread is about.
    You posted in the mystic subforum, claiming a skill is labeled incorrectly- instead of posting directly into the quality corner. This means you were looking for feedback/confirmation?
    You got your feedback- the skill's description is accurate- you just interpret it differently.
  • Burnout - Harshlands
    edited November 2013
    Options
    What are we going in circles?

No the spell takes effect after a delay. From the first tick to the last tick it is 12 sec. The amount it heals is also correct.

Your description of falling petals and ironheart are wrong. How about YOU read the ingame descriptions before misquoting me?

You clearly are new to the mystic class since you just discovered this skill. How about you stop for a second, step back and try to understand what exactly this thread is about.
    You posted in the mystic subforum, claiming a skill is labeled incorrectly- instead of posting directly into the quality corner. This means you were looking for feedback/confirmation?
    You got your feedback- the skill's description is accurate- you just interpret it differently.

Sorry, but you're just twisting the meaning of words and game mechanics to try to be right.

First - WHERE in the skill description does it say it has a 3 second delay before taking effect?

Game mechanics in PWI = when casting finishes, the spell takes effect.

Why doesn't break in the clouds have a 3 second delay?

Why doesn't comforting mist have a 3 second delay?

The delay is part of the TICK, and thus part of the duration.

Anyone who has played pwi for any length of time understands how HoT effects work. Ironheart heals hp every 3 seconds for 15 seconds, for 5 ticks total. Now compare that to Gaia.

P.S. - Are you a forum alt of Brilliance?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• klys
    edited November 2013
    Options

I'm the one twisting the meaning of words? You're just flat out wrong. No twisting necessary.

Why are you so mad that pwi doesn't have a paragraph explaining the unique features of newer skills, when there are plenty of other things REALLY worth fixing?
  • Burnout - Harshlands
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I'm the one twisting the meaning of words? You're just flat out wrong. No twisting necessary.

Why are you so mad that pwi doesn't have a paragraph explaining the unique features of newer skills, when there are plenty of other things REALLY worth fixing?

The "3 second delay" that you claim is on Gaias isn't a "unique feature"...it's part of the duration of the HOT...ROFL.

Also there's a difference between Gaia's being a PBAOE effect that travels with the mystic, and it being an AOE buff effect that only applies a 15 sec HOT at the time of cast. It changes the usage of the skill significantly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• klys
    edited November 2013
    Options
    You're comparing a stackable, spammable, purgable, non aoe, healing skill to Gaia's. More specifically this is about skill descriptions. While both are HoT, they do not share the same properties, and IH doesn't even mention the tick durations in the description. Why arent you going batshet crazy over that? The HoT isn't the unique feature- everything else about the skill is.....like the second part of your last post, and features i listed above. WTF is the point you're trying to make? I feel like im talking to a skitzo.
  • Burnout - Harshlands
    edited November 2013
    Options
    You're comparing a stackable, spammable, purgable, non aoe, healing skill to Gaia's. More specifically this is about skill descriptions. While both are HoT, they do not share the same properties, and IH doesn't even mention the tick durations in the description. Why arent you going batshet crazy over that? The HoT isn't the unique feature- everything else about the skill is.....like the second part of your last post, and features i listed above. WTF is the point you're trying to make? I feel like im talking to a skitzo.

Ok. One last time.

Gaia's description says it heals hp every 3 seconds for 12 seconds.

here's how it works:

Cast
    skill takes effect
    since it heals every 3 seconds, you have to wait 3 seconds for the first heal
    after the first heal, you have to wait 3 seconds for the 2nd heal
    after the 2nd heal, you wait 3 seconds for the 3rd
    After the 3rd, you wait 3 seconds for the 4th **12 seconds has passed**
    the final tick of the heal occurs after 15 seconds has passed.

You get it now?

No, you still need more explanation?

Compare Ice prison, which deals damage every 3 seconds for 12 seconds.

Cast
    skill takes effect
    since it damages every 3 seconds, you have to wait 3 seconds for the first tick
    after the first tick, you wait 3 seconds again for the 2nd tick
    2nd tick, you wait 3 seconds for the 3rd tick
    after the 4th tick the skill ends, and **12 seconds have passed**.
    There are only 4 ticks of this skill.

Compare that to gaias. 5 ticks vs 4 ticks. 12 seconds vs 12 seconds. Compare it to any other HOT/DOT in the game. every HOT/DOT in the game is duration/3 (or in rare cases, 2) = total ticks.

Do you get it now?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• klys
    edited November 2013
    Options
    but that's not how every single duration based HoT/DoT works in Pwi.

I get it, and so do you- as you point out there. Not all HoT or DoT skills are the same- your lack of understanding on how falling petals works should make is evident enough (there is no delay or 3 second delay in between ticks)

You're getting angry that a unique skill, with different properties, from 1 class doesn't share the same description format as another skill from another class....

I understand what you're getting at, I really do... you want the 12 sec in the description to turn into 15 sec - and i assume you're redacting your statement about how much it actually heals (because i havent heard anything else about that, after i pointed out they were accurate)and redacting the part about the misleading aoe heal description (because it's clear as day that it is an aoe heal)....but who cares? The numbers in the description are accurate...just move onto something actually needs to be fixed.
  • Burnout - Harshlands
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I get it, and so do you- as you point out there. Not all HoT or DoT skills are the same- your lack of understanding on how falling petals works should make is evident enough (there is no delay or 3 second delay in between ticks)

You're getting angry that a unique skill, with different properties, from 1 class doesn't share the same description format as another skill from another class....

I understand what you're getting at, I really do... you want the 12 sec in the description to turn into 15 sec - and i assume you're redacting your statement about how much it actually heals (because i havent heard anything else about that, after i pointed out they were accurate)and redacting the part about the misleading aoe heal description (because it's clear as day that it is an aoe heal)....but who cares? The numbers in the description are accurate...just move onto something actually needs to be fixed.

There are two main ways to implement an AOE HOT. One is to make it similar to an ironheart. You cast the buff, and no matter how far away the target goes, once he gets the buff it will tick it's full duration.

The other way is to make it centered on the mystic.

Just tell me one thing. If you had never seen the skill ever, and just read the description, would you assume it had 5 ticks of heal? If that's the case, would you also assume Ice prison had 5 ticks also? And Ironheart had 6 ticks?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• klys
    edited November 2013
    Options
    You can't assume anything, especially with Chinese> English translations. I would guess a lot of skills function differently- even IH- the description is vague enough that it does not give interval times or frequency.

I'm guessing the devs are only counting the 12 seconds of Gaia's and excluding the first delay because nothing happens until the first tick. When i say nothing, i mean nothing. No changed status on the caster/teammates/enemies. With skills like IH or ice prison, or BT, there is an immediate icon signaling a change in status, which is probably why the entire duration is counted in the skill description.
  • Burnout - Harshlands
    edited November 2013
    Options
    You can't assume anything, especially with Chinese> English translations. I would guess a lot of skills function differently- even IH- the description is vague enough that it does not give interval times or frequency.

I'm guessing the devs are only counting the 12 seconds of Gaia's and excluding the first delay because nothing happens until the first tick. When i say nothing, i mean nothing. No changed status on the caster/teammates/enemies. With skills like IH or ice prison, or BT, there is an immediate icon signaling a change in status, which is probably why the entire duration is counted in the skill description.

Nothing happens in between or after ticks. The reason for the delay is because it waits 3 seconds before healing after every tick. The same is true for ironheart - there's a delay before you see any healing.

Nothing happens with Blade tornado for BM's also, yet their duration is correct. ...Again you haven't explained why there's a delay in the skill except "cuz that's how it is", when the simple explanation is that it's a typo and the duration is actually 15 seconds.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• klys
    edited November 2013
    Options
    There's a delay in the skill because it a HoT. The skill desciption doesn't count the delay as part of the skill's duration because nothing happens until the first tick. In all the other HoT/DoT skills there is a change in status immediately, even before the first tick. These status being confirmed by the ih/bt/iceprison/etc icons.
  • Burnout - Harshlands
    edited November 2013
    Options
    There's a delay in the skill because it a HoT. The skill desciption doesn't count the delay as part of the skill's duration because nothing happens until the first tick. In all the other HoT/DoT skills there is a change in status immediately, even before the first tick. These status being confirmed by the ih/bt/iceprison/etc icons.

Nope. You don't get a buff icon even after the first tick. Neither on you nor anyone you heal.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• klys
    edited November 2013
    Options
    That's what i just said... this skill is unique like that.
  • Burnout - Harshlands
    edited November 2013
    Options
    That's what i just said... this skill is unique like that.

So why would you arbitrarily count any duration after the first heal tick? Your reasoning for just ignoring the delay is because there's no icon, when the reality is that the effect is active, it doesn't heal immediately because each tick is delayed by 3 seconds.

You can verify this by casting the skill, then unequipping your weapon right after the channel finishes. The heals still tick based on your magic attack with the weapon, even though you're not holding a weapon at the time of the tick. This means the spell is active from the time it finishes channeling.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• klys
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Of course it's active. It doesn't do shet until the first tick tho. Other skills actually do something- ih gives buff that can be purged, BT gives buff that gives user anti-immobilize and reduced dmg, etc... all before the first tick. Gaia's has no secondary effect and can't be purged- which is probably why the devs only count the duration for which the skill actually does something.

The point I've been trying to make since the beginning- the skill isn't like any other skill- it's unique.
  • Burnout - Harshlands
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Of course it's active. It doesn't do shet until the first tick tho. Other skills actually do something- ih gives buff that can be purged, BT gives buff that gives user anti-immobilize and reduced dmg, etc... all before the first tick. Gaia's has no secondary effect and can't be purged- which is probably why the devs only count the duration for which the skill actually does something.

The point I've been trying to make since the beginning- the skill isn't like any other skill- it's unique.

It's doing something from when you cast it. Each heal is delayed by 3 seconds. The delay you're seeing after you channel the skill is part of that 3 second heal timer.

You're still not giving a reason for why it even has the delay (my simple explanation is that the ticks are delayed by 3 seconds, and the skill lasts 15 seconds total).

The only thing you're saying is, "oh, it has a delay because it has a delay".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• klys
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I've already said why it has a delay- as have you- because it's a HoT. The issue isn't why it has a delay- it is why the delay isn't counted. Your view is that it is an error, and the 12 should be a 15. My view on why the delay isn't counted is described in the post above.

As much as i like this back and forth banter, having to repeat the same shet isn't floating my boat.
  • Burnout - Harshlands
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I've already said why it has a delay- as have you- because it's a HoT. The issue isn't why it has a delay- it is why the delay isn't counted. Your view is that it is an error, and the 12 should be a 15. My view on why the delay isn't counted is described in the post above.

As much as i like this back and forth banter, having to repeat the same shet isn't floating my boat.

Ok, if the 3-second delay at the start before the first tick isn't counted (as you claim), give me a reason why the arbitrary 3-second delay even exists, besides "cuz its unique like that".

I've never seen anyone call a skill that isn't working as it's described as "unique". Most call it a bug or error.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• klys
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Why are you so fixated on validating the existence of the first delay? I'm not arguing that point. It's clear that it is a function of a HoT skill.

I feel like you skipped over this post on my explanation of why the first delay isn't counted in the description.

• Burnout - Harshlands
    edited November 2013
    Options
    It's clear that it is a function of a HoT skill.

Ding ding ding. The delay is a function of every HoT or DoT skill, and is always counted in its duration. Just because Gaia's doesn't have a secondary effect doesn't mean it isn't active.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• klys
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Gaia's doesn't have a secondary effect

Ding Ding Ding. The reason the skill has a description different from other HoT/ DoT, is because it DOES function differently- not the delayed repeated ticks part- but everything else about the skill, which gives it different properties- and validates its non-comforming description.
  • Burnout - Harshlands
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Ding Ding Ding. The reason the skill has a description different from other HoT/ DoT, is because it DOES function differently- not the delayed repeated ticks part- but everything else about the skill, which gives it different properties- and validates its non-comforming description.

Lol...it doesn't function differently. It works like every single HoT in the game - cast, wait 3 seconds, heal, wait 3 seconds, heal, wait 3 seconds, heal.

Ask anyone familiar with the game (or even DoT/HoT mechanics in general) how many times a Hot that heals for 12 seconds every 3 seconds will tick. They will all say 4 ticks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]