Can someone explain to me how p/m def addded up?

Options
DemansPsy - Lost City
DemansPsy - Lost City Posts: 359 Arc User
edited October 2013 in General Discussion
So i was looking at the difference between mines and my guild leader's p and m def and taking into account sharding (he's full JOSD and im in G8/G10 p def shards) he has about 2k more m and p def than me unbuffed. The only difference in our gear though is he has a +12 ring while i have a +11 and he has the NW cape upgrade while i have Matchless Wings. So my question is, where is this extra def coming from? He has 29 more vit than me and an extra 100 def points from merdian and other than what i already stated that's it, can someone explain where this big difference is coming from?
full 3r9 +11/12 (still using immac shards though) w/o CSing, leveled to 105 spaming pv, yes i have no life =D
Post edited by DemansPsy - Lost City on

Comments

• Roseary - Sanctuary
    Roseary - Sanctuary Posts: 978 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Options
    So i was looking at the difference between mines and my guild leader's p and m def and taking into account sharding (he's full JOSD and im in G8/G10 p def shards) he has about 2k more m and p def than me unbuffed. The only difference in our gear though is he has a +12 ring while i have a +11 and he has the NW cape upgrade while i have Matchless Wings. So my question is, where is this extra def coming from? He has 29 more vit than me and an extra 100 def points from merdian and other than what i already stated that's it, can someone explain where this big difference is coming from?

Vit adds both m.def and p.def, the amount it adds based on your class I don't know at the moment I just know Vit adds defence as well as health.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DemansPsy - Lost City
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Vit adds both m.def and p.def, the amount it adds based on your class I don't know at the moment I just know Vit adds defence as well as health.

Used pwcalc earlier putting in vit shards, was only getting 7.5-8 pts per vit (75-80 per shard, value decrease as i added more vit), and he only has 29 over me, no where near enough to make up the extra 1.5k worth.
    full 3r9 +11/12 (still using immac shards though) w/o CSing, leveled to 105 spaming pv, yes i have no life =D
  • opkossy
    opkossy Posts: 11,177 Community Moderator
    edited October 2013
    Options
    The gap between +11 and +12 is rather noticable.

That aside, gear defense works like weapon attack. An item with pdef +100, for example, is going to give you a good bit over 100 pdef in reality. Much like how weapon attack has its own multipliers before you see what goes on your character menu.

The exact formula should be on the wiki somewhere but at the moment I can't go check for it.
    (Insert fancy image here)
  • FlyingStab - Archosaur
    FlyingStab - Archosaur Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Options
    OPKossy wrote: »
    The gap between +11 and +12 is rather noticable.

That aside, gear defense works like weapon attack. An item with pdef +100, for example, is going to give you a good bit over 100 pdef in reality. Much like how weapon attack has its own multipliers before you see what goes on your character menu.

The exact formula should be on the wiki somewhere but at the moment I can't go check for it.

Its on damage calculation:

http://pwi-wiki.perfectworld.com/index.php/Damage
    Resistance

Physical Resistance is based on your Str, Vit, and equipment defense (the sum of the Physical Defense found on all of your equipment). Similarly Magical Resistances are based on your Mag, Vit, and equipment Magical Resistances. Magical Resistances should be calculated separately for each of the 5 magical elements, but most equipment has the same resistance across all the elements.
    physical defense = Round{ ( Vit + Str - 2 ) / 4 } + Round{ Def * ( 1 + Round{ ( ( 2 * Vit ) + ( 3 * Str ) ) / 25 } / 100 ) } + 1
    magic resistance = Round{ ( Vit + Mag - 2 ) / 4 } + Round{ Res * ( 1 + Round{ ( ( 2 * Vit ) + ( 3 * Mag ) ) / 25 } / 100 ) }
    Defense and resistance work by lowering damage according to the following formula. (Values within "Round{ x }" are rounded to the nearest integer.)
    physical reduction% = physical defense / ( ( 40 * attacker level ) + physical defense - 25 )
    magical reduction% = magic resistance / ( ( 40 * attacker level ) + magical resistance - 25 )
    The reduction is rounded down to two decimal places.
    damage delivered = damage dealt * ( 1 - reduction% )
    The above reduction percentages are shown in the character sheet when hovering over the stat. If equipment adds a physical damage reduction stat it does not contribute to this reduction%. This is a separate reduction that applies in a different step from the above.
    physical damage delivered = damage dealt * ( 1 - defense reduction% ) * ( 1 - total physical damage reduction from equipment% )
    Note that in-game statistics menu reductions are shown as truncated numbers (39.7% reduction will be shown as 39% in menu). To receive exact results, you shouldn't omit fractions.
  • TCHP - Lost City
    TCHP - Lost City Posts: 577 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Options
    normal defense has an exponential curve, compared to linear lv of defense. On G16 gear 130 point is around 1 % better defense, and the highest the value goes the worst defense bonus it gives, to get 1 more % over that you might need 260 or 500 something. so in the end the 2 k difference is maybe a 5 or 6 % difference.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DemansPsy - Lost City
    edited October 2013
    Options
    normal defense has an exponential curve, compared to linear lv of defense. On G16 gear 130 point is around 1 % better defense, and the highest the value goes the worst defense bonus it gives, to get 1 more % over that you might need 260 or 500 something. so in the end the 2 k difference is maybe a 5 or 6 % difference.

Not even close to what i was asking.

Thank you FlyingStab for the link, ill try putting all the numbers into that formula and see if i get the right value now.

Edit ok put in all the numbers for my own gear set and got a value only 30 pts higher than what i actually had(got 10402 p def from formula when i have 10370 in game) which probably just me overlooking something extremely minor, tyvm for that link, need to W8 for my guild leader to log again so i can put his numbers in and see if they match up to.