Was it REALLY necessary to put in the Pedophilia and Desperate Stalker Search Engine?

Options

Comments

• Titoto - Raging Tide
    Titoto - Raging Tide Posts: 96 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Pedophilia? There shouldnt be any kids playing this game anyway. What's your point?

Is you ****? The game is for 13+, it's in the ToS i mean really?

Yep
    I just love them little boys with those 12 pixel epeens
    :P

This made me LOL so hard
    My forum avatar has been through so many changes by itself it's not even funny -.-
  • Asone - Raging Tide
    Asone - Raging Tide Posts: 792 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Meh, I'm just gonna ignore this feature. It really doesn't benefit me in any way. If it's bugging you guys so much, just ignore it. This is a game, not reality. Fantasy, make believe, whatever. The game is rated ages 13+ with guardian supervision.

You may be required to create an account (an "Account") to access our Games and certain features and functions or our Service. You must be 13 years of age or older to create an Account. If you are 13 or over, but are under the age of 18, we require that you review these Terms with your parents or guardian to ensure they read and agree to them. If you are the parent of guardian of a user of our website and you have questions about this website or these terms, please contact us at tos@perfectworldinc.com.

By creating an Account or otherwise using the Service, you represent that you are at least age 18 and agree to these Terms, or that you are over 13 years of age and your parents or legal guardian have read and agreed to these Terms, and you understand and agree that we are relying upon that representation in allowing you to use the Service. Only one person may use an Account.

Notwithstanding the above, certain portions of our Website and some of our games may contain mature contents not suitable for anyone younger than 18 years of age. We will require that you confirm that you are 18 years of age or older to access such content. If you enter any portion of the Website which is intended for or is marked for mature audiences only, you are certifying that you are at least 18 years old or the applicable age of majority in the jurisdiction in which you reside and have the legal right to access such content. We shall not be responsible in any way for your failure to accurately confirm your age per the terms hereunder.

And that's only part of section 4.

I for one am truly aghast by the implementation of your Match.com feature, WHAT THE HELL are you trying to promote here ??

I hope your company stands total liability should anything happen to your influential and vulnerable underage players and well as all the single women and men who risk being harassed using that feature!!!

Really you people are trying to turn an online game into something else which I'm sure you lack the safety precautions for.

I'm very disappointed PWI that you guys choose to go down this path.

Paranoid much? Just read the quote above this one. If you look at this in a good way think of all the other things on the internet that are much, much worse then this feature. I don't think I have to explain.

Oh and by the way, there is such a thing as blacklist.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Retired PWI veteran. 06/26/2010-2014.
  • TheFire - Lost City
    TheFire - Lost City Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Options
    OHHHHHHHHH Wont someone Plz think of the Children... but make shure you check under that ladies skirt, you might find extra pices ;) b:laugh
  • Mr_Swiss - Heavens Tear
    Mr_Swiss - Heavens Tear Posts: 879 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Options
    I totally agree, this has to be one of the stupidest things PWI has ever done. Putting an option for under 18/love is rediculous. On another similar note though, if they took the 18 and under out, what's to stop an underage player from putting they are 18+. There are a lot of smart under age kids that can also flip it around and act like they are older to take advantage of someone. I find the this impimentation to be idiotic and sick.

This whole feature is a ploy to make money from wedding packs. The next sale will be wedding packs, and most likely new wedding fash or items, especially since Sweetest Day(known in several states), is coming up on Oct 19th. If you really take a close look at the feature, there's not that many options to narrow your search with. It's setup to basically match any person with you that puts the same options as you, and for those that are mindless, make you think that the person your talking to is a match for you. When in actuality, they are nowhere near a match for you. But for those that are incapable of understanding how the brain works, you going to mentally assume they are your equal.

How many matches do you think will pop up by entering the most common search on the system. 18+ > lover > gaming. Does that really say much about a match? That right there is like 90% of the players. And, when it comes to chatting/texting/email, even a serial killer is an angel, the shyest person in the world, who would never approach a person for a date, is a Don Juan. A dork is a Kick boxer. A grocery bagger is an FBI agent. You can assume any identity in this game. Matching someone up with such a narrow minded search engine, is unreal. Oh and not to mention the rediculous "Let me spam the **** out of you mailbox with the gifts I want" button.
    R9s3 Beast w/Demon Facepalm
  • Surukuvio - Raging Tide
    Surukuvio - Raging Tide Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Options
    If I was to prey on someone I wouldnt' do it in a MMORPG nonetheless b:surrender

Seriousy though, stop the paranoia. I have no bad experiences yet with male or female toon and neither has my faction. Friends do troll me, and I even recruited two people with the thingy.
  • Mr_Swiss - Heavens Tear
    Mr_Swiss - Heavens Tear Posts: 879 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Options
    I even recruited two people with the thingy.

That's what she said b:laugh
    R9s3 Beast w/Demon Facepalm
  • JanusZeal - Heavens Tear
    JanusZeal - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,852 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Options
    It's been fun watching the paranoid delusional people who can't differentiate the pixel world from the real one take issue with "find a lover/companion" but not the marriage system.

Good luck on the tin foil crusade.
  • ResMePls - Heavens Tear
    ResMePls - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,349 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Yep
    I just love them little boys with those 12 pixel epeens
    :P

I am usually very linient, but did n0t l0l at this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]I know what your thinking.
  • Fiery_Demon - Heavens Tear
    Fiery_Demon - Heavens Tear Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Options
    At first I was a bit surprised to see so many people rage about a minor implement, but now it's beginning to look downright hilarious. It's just a game, why all the drama? First of all, no one's making you use the system. Secondly, if someone "unpleasant" pms you, you can blacklist them. Finally, whatever you do in the game has no effect in real life because it's a game and unless you go around telling strangers your full name and address, there's nothing to worry about.
    When PWI came out I was 15 I think, I've been playing ever since and during that time no one has ever sent me inappropriate pms, I had one in-game "stalker" a few years ago but as I'm not an idiot, I blacklisted him, easy as that. I don't just see what the fuss is about, people saying that they already get enough flirt attempts as female toons. I've met maybe 3-4 guys in PWI who have been flirty, but that was also not serious talk but more like friendly teasing.
    I think the system is great because it gives you an excuse to talk to random people and meet new friends. If you don't like it, don't use it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2013
    Options
    At first I was a bit surprised to see so many people rage about a minor implement, but now it's beginning to look downright hilarious. It's just a game, why all the drama? First of all, no one's making you use the system. Secondly, if someone "unpleasant" pms you, you can blacklist them. Finally, whatever you do in the game has no effect in real life because it's a game and unless you go around telling strangers your full name and address, there's nothing to worry about.
    When PWI came out I was 15 I think, I've been playing ever since and during that time no one has ever sent me inappropriate pms, I had one in-game "stalker" a few years ago but as I'm not an idiot, I blacklisted him, easy as that. I don't just see what the fuss is about, people saying that they already get enough flirt attempts as female toons. I've met maybe 3-4 guys in PWI who have been flirty, but that was also not serious talk but more like friendly teasing.
    I think the system is great because it gives you an excuse to talk to random people and meet new friends. If you don't like it, don't use it.
    I agree, I've had quite a bit of fun with people in our guild and on FL. But then again I'm shameless and don't give a **** about being tasteful nor do I care about people who are easily offended so I might be a bad example.

Anyhow, a number of players have this reflex to simply reject something because it's fun to do so or because they feel a part of some bandwagon, and the bandwagon today is be paranoid as **** and walk on eggshells, because there's a rapist behind every monitor screen just waiting for a feature like this to finally put their moves on some innocent and unsuspecting minor.

In reality, this feature is nothing more than a joke (hence the PWIharmony cracks), and maybe an excuse to randomly message people. It doesn't give the amount of personal detail I'm sure eHarmony gives, and is no more serious than the wedding system which people are perfectly fine with. It doesn't give you access to the person outside the game, there's little justification for their kind of paranoia.
  • Vinat - Sanctuary
    Vinat - Sanctuary Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Options
    I find it really silly that we had an emergency maint to change the word "lover" to "companion."

I also find it silly that people are crying "WHAT ABOUT THE CHILDREN!?!?!" over this.

I've had more than one 16 year old boy PM me from the perfect match thing. A few actually solicited me for "friends with benefits" -- to which I am not interested. Point being: "children" are not that innocent.

And the PWI system is so lacking in sophistication, your match percentage can only be based on the boxes you checked off, and perhaps some astrology since they ask for your zodiac sign. Apparently, the age filter is not being applied to matches if I am showing up for those under 18.

Regardless, PWI's perfect match is nowhere near "dangerous."
  • Kittennice - Heavens Tear
    Kittennice - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Options
    I find it really silly that we had an emergency maint to change the word "lover" to "companion."

I also find it silly that people are crying "WHAT ABOUT THE CHILDREN!?!?!" over this.

I've had more than one 16 year old boy PM me from the perfect match thing. A few actually solicited me for "friends with benefits" -- to which I am not interested. Point being: "children" are not that innocent.

And the PWI system is so lacking in sophistication, your match percentage can only be based on the boxes you checked off, and perhaps some astrology since they ask for your zodiac sign. Apparently, the age filter is not being applied to matches if I am showing up for those under 18.

Regardless, PWI's perfect match is nowhere near "dangerous."

That's not a child
    That's a horny teenager
    12- are children :P
    The VenoX: Heavy Pure Melee (Axe User with a hint of magic) Venomancer and Proud
    Having fun since lv1
    5 more levels baby!
    ^_____^
    {=^.^=} < I'll never give up. Never give in. )

I'm for The Cursed!
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=656132
  • Nature_God - Sanctuary
    Nature_God - Sanctuary Posts: 475 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Options
    That's not a child
    That's a horny teenager
    12- are children :P

Wrong, teenagers are children as well. Everyone who is under 18 is a kid.
  • Kniraven - Lost City
    Kniraven - Lost City Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Wrong, teenagers are children as well. Everyone who is under 18 is a kid.

Child is defined in the dictionary as an individual between the stages of birth and puberty.

You lose.

Now somebody close this wart on the a5$ of our forum with it's inappropriate title
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Nature_God - Sanctuary
    Nature_God - Sanctuary Posts: 475 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Child is defined in the dictionary as an individual between the stages of birth and puberty.

You lose.

Now somebody close this wart on the a5$ of our forum with it's inappropriate title

''You lose'' I never said that this is some kind of competition or race. So, no I did not lose. This is just what I think.
  • Gertha - Archosaur
    Gertha - Archosaur Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Options
    To me, the funniest part is criticism about the new button that makes all chars look stripped, so all the guys wear trunks and girls are in modest bikinis. What does it have to do with pedophilia or stalking? b:puzzled 16-year-old kids have never been to a beach? And bikinis have existed in this game for ages... Not to mention some totally tasteless fashion sets, that make bikinis look even more modest b:laugh
  • sjampie
    sjampie Posts: 624 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Options
    According to TOS children (read 18-) are only allowed to play PWI when a parent is around...all other players should be 18+. No pedophilia here. Personally I think people don't have to use the options to find a mentor, friend or companion. Just turn it off if you don't want it.

Had a few pm's to be a 'partner in game' but (except for counting the pm's) totally ignoring it.
  • Apostasy - Raging Tide
    Apostasy - Raging Tide Posts: 1,197 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Options
    I for one am happy they put that dating site search thing in game now... b:cute

IT is the only thing I can afford to do in game these days b:surrender b:cry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ChaseyLain - Lost City
    ChaseyLain - Lost City Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Options

You lose.

in the USA (where PWE is based) it is illegal for someone over 18 years to molest, annoy, or date a person under 18 years. because of where PWE is based, they have to comply with the current law there. so up to 18 years is considered a child. i would love to see you in a courtroom with your dictionary telling a judge why it is ok for you mess with an after puberty just because of a definition.
  • Kniraven - Lost City
    Kniraven - Lost City Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Options
    sjampie wrote: »
    According to TOS children (read 18-) are only allowed to play PWI when a parent is around...all other players should be 18+. No pedophilia here. Personally I think people don't have to use the options to find a mentor, friend or companion. Just turn it off if you don't want it.

Had a few pm's to be a 'partner in game' but (except for counting the pm's) totally ignoring it.

in the USA (where PWE is based) it is illegal for someone over 18 years to molest, annoy, or date a person under 18 years. because of where PWE is based, they have to comply with the current law there. so up to 18 years is considered a child. i would love to see you in a courtroom with your dictionary telling a judge why it is ok for you mess with an after puberty just because of a definition.

1.) The TOS do not define child anywhere.
    2.) Someone of 18 years or older is required to approve accounts because as adults they may legally agree to contracts.
    3.) At 18 you are legally an adult in the U.S. At puberty you are an adolescent.
    4.) The U.S. Government and laws DO recognize a difference between children and adolescents. **** a fifteen year old or sexually assaulting one is not considered pedophilia.
    5.) It is not illegal to date an adolescent with mutual consent, only to have sex with them.
    6.) In the United States, the age of consent varies from state to state.
    7.) The system/content you're criticizing has nothing at all to do with any of these things.

Btw I'm an administrative justice student and i work security as a contractor for the U.S. Department of Defense.

Your @sses just got served
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kuzshi - Dreamweaver
    Kuzshi - Dreamweaver Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Options
    What is illegal or not does not change the definition of what a child is. It doesn't change what pedophilia is. A child is not anyone under 18, it is anyone from birth to puberty. Someone attracted to one under 18 but is going through or has went through puberty does not count as a pedophile by definition. Laws do not dictate definitions, nor do definitions dictate what's okay and what's not okay.

If for example, say, an older woman has sexual relations with a 15-year-old male, she is not a pedophile under any sense of the word... but she is committing statutory r@pe (wtf, PWI censors that?) under the law. The 15-year-old is not by any means a child, but that individual is still a minor.

tl;dr - What the law states ≠ how words are defined

Edit: Or what Kniraven says~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2013
    Options
    This assumes the people are having a relationship outside the game, and are physically in the United States -- this is an interface between pixel characters, in no way does it promote anything outside the fantasy realm of Perfect World.

By all means take it to a court room, I'd love to see how you do.

As of now it's just humour and dramatics.
    edited September 2013
    Options
    -eats popcorn and Doritos-
    b:pleased

BTW, Nature_God
    The word you are looking for is a minor (18-)
    Children are defined as Kniv said
    Teens are up until 18 (barely legal I say)
    Look up law and terms pls

Also buy some sense of humor from the cashshop while you're at it
    The VenoX: Heavy Pure Melee (Axe User with a hint of magic) Venomancer and Proud
    Having fun since lv1
    5 more levels baby!
    ^_____^

I'm for The Cursed!
  • Euthymius - Heavens Tear
    Euthymius - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,162 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Options

PWI/PWI Forums are srs business.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Remember: OP may be a duck|OP/GMs/Devs may not deliver|Search function is your friend|Lurk more|Be wary of Mods: they can't be trusted|This place isn't a hugbox|Your tears sustain me|Know what Bait is|"Soon" may never come|Postcount, Dubs, and other GETs are important|Don't revive long dead threads|There is a section for everything|You can be banned for anything|No Fun Allowed outside of OT|Sweetiebot rules OT|"Circlejerks" are inevitable|Threads can be derailed and saved|Those who use"XD" should off themselves at their earliest convenience|
  • Vinat - Sanctuary
    Vinat - Sanctuary Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Options
    http://www.perfectworld.com/about/terms

TOS is right there. Use ctrl+F to search:
    - minor

You can then swiftly and easily read the relevant parts of the TOS.

You must be over 13 to even have an account.
    Over 13 but 18 should not play the game without a parent or guardian.
    All users must not "harm minors" in any way.
  • XNekhebet - Heavens Tear
    XNekhebet - Heavens Tear Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Options
    1.) The TOS do not define child anywhere.
    2.) Someone of 18 years or older is required to approve accounts because as adults they may legally agree to contracts.
    3.) At 18 you are legally an adult in the U.S. At puberty you are an adolescent.
    4.) The U.S. Government and laws DO recognize a difference between children and adolescents. **** a fifteen year old or sexually assaulting one is not considered pedophilia.
    5.) It is not illegal to date an adolescent with mutual consent, only to have sex with them.
    6.) In the United States, the age of consent varies from state to state.
    7.) The system/content you're criticizing has nothing at all to do with any of these things.

Btw I'm an administrative justice student and i work security as a contractor for the U.S. Department of Defense.

Your @sses just got served

And i am the easter bunny. b:chuckle
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Having fun since lv1
    5 more levels baby!
    ^_____^

I'm for The Cursed!
  • belias20
    belias20 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Options
    -eats popcorn and Doritos-
    b:pleased

BTW, Nature_God
    The word you are looking for is a minor (18-)
    Children are defined as Kniv said
    Teens are up until 18 (barely legal I say)
    Look up law and terms pls

I don't really care about law and terms. There are other countries you know. I am in Finland and here below 18 you are a kid. Of course teens are considered as kids as well, because their actions surely are not ''adult'' like. And at what point I had to have sense of humor? :o
  • Belhumer - Dreamweaver
    Belhumer - Dreamweaver Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Options
    I for one am truly aghast by the implementation of your Match.com feature, WHAT THE HELL are you trying to promote here ??

I hope your company stands total liability should anything happen to your influential and vulnerable underage players and well as all the single women and men who risk being harassed using that feature!!!

Really you people are trying to turn an online game into something else which I'm sure you lack the safety precautions for.

I'm very disappointed PWI that you guys choose to go down this path.

Well it is a funny ironic system XD but if you dont like it dont fill out the survey, and BAM! u dont have to worry at all, plus why can't the game have a match system? It has a marriage system.. So how can people get married if they dont meet eachother, so this will match u up with some person who u may or may not like. like..... Come on can't you think outside the box?? I hope you get all dem pedos at ur door XD
  • babytrom
    babytrom Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Options
    b:cute Has anyone looked at the questions they ask for the match feature? It asks your date of birth. I am sure they aren't going to pair up some kid with some older person. Get real! Always someone bit.chin about something on here. b:shutup