Venomancer Guide 2013

13»

Comments

• Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I'm not even slightly going to address evolved pets. That's way beyond the realm of this guide.

But veno's can and do tank. We don't do it as well as Barb/Bm/Cheatfish. But we're probably in the next tier. Making us, as Kiszmet says, excellent backup tanks - which role I did try to emphasise.

The opening statement is to place us in the classic Tank/Healer/DD triangle, and I stand by it. We're right smack bang in the middle - capable of anything, but not excelling at any of it.

Apologies on Tough; I did of course mean protect. Added threaten, which I don't use myself but if you're all recommending it as an option, great.
  • Markhor - Dreamweaver
    Markhor - Dreamweaver Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited August 2013

Luring.

Luring is using a quirk of the aggro mechanics to cause a single monster (or a chosen few) to attack, rather than grabbing the whole group. You do it by hitting the moster with your pet, then unsummoning the pet. Our tame-pet spell can do this too.
    Venomancers are masters of this skill. Mystics can do it the pet-way too, and one genie skill can do it.
    See the wiki for more details.

How did I never know this?! lmao!

Fantastic guide, btw. Thanks for taking the time and effort to put it together.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    Mayfly - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,094 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    How did I never know this?! lmao!

Probably because you never read Vitenka's luring guide (which now resides in the wiki.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Weekly Japanese/English bilingual webcomic
    thejapanesepage.com/ebooks/yuki_no_monogatari_manga
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    Desdi - Sanctuary Posts: 8,680 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Well, I didn't find it very confusing since Vitenka does explain after. Might be just me :P but I understand the reasoning behind the way it was written because it is actually true.

[SIGPIC]http://i.imgur.com/MtwcqjL.png[/SIGPIC]
    ★ Venomancer videos - tinyurl.com/k6ppkw4 ★ Desdi - Demon ♪ Wyvelin - Sage ★
  • Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands
    Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands Posts: 7,231 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I don't know if it's cause venos on HL suck or if on all other servers all other class suck, but I never saw a veno tanking a boss if the rest of the squad was equally geared and by tanking I mean from the start to the end to have aggro, I never saw a veno get aggro on me on my mystic even before I was R9. (Even if the veno had a better weapon with better refine)

Maybe on other servers other class let veno tank and hold themselves of DDing at their max potential so they don't steal aggro.

On my wizz and mystic I constantly need to keep myself from DDing too much or I get aggro even on 5aps chars. I never saw a veno steal aggro on any class, unless the veno was R9rr+12 and the rest of the squad R8+5 or lower weapons. Don't get me wrong here, I'm not pretending that wizz or mystic can tank more than a veno, casters don't have any skill to keep aggro.

I maybe sound like a veno's hater, but I'm not, I adore play my veno, but reality is that if there's someone looking for a tank in wc and I pm ''tank'' they will prolly don't take me seriously when they will see I'm a veno and specially if not R9rr, cause majority of the squads these days get 5aps chars and not a lot of class can hold aggro on them, unless a good seeker, bm, barb or archer.

People that consult guides usually are new players that look what class is for them or people that already play that class to see if they can learn something new. Saying to a new player that veno is a tank might get them disappointed when they realize that venos are not purely a tanking class.

In my opinion saying that veno is a support/solo class describe better a veno than saying it's a healer/tank/DD class.

Anyway the guide is great, I just think the description of the class is wrong.

@Jasms: As I said yes pets can tank, evolved Herc is pretty much OP, on my veno I can purely DD and would never got aggro on my evolved Herc or some other class too, but it's the pet that hold the aggro not the veno. =P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

b:dirty "I **** rainbows and love everyone"-Longknife b:cute
  • Jasms - Lost City
    Jasms - Lost City Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Xx_BeLLa_xX,indeed,the pet hold aggro but the pet is not separate from veno herself,need to be summoned,healed,feed and ofc have owner too(a veno can fight w/o pet ofc,but then...why need pets? If i want to fight w/o pet,i roll other class ) .That means veno and pet considered as one "team",as "solo"class.With the last updates of game,the evolved pets gain the most from veno armor and weapons witch "bound" more the pet and veno together.My herc have over 9.5k hp and i have +5 refines at armor only.I cant imagine myself having that herc in bag and trying kill "things" around by myself,it make no sense.This is our bless,this is our curse...
    You will always have followers.Try have opponents...f:shy
    edited August 2013
    Xx_BeLLa_xX,indeed,the pet hold aggro but the pet is not separate from veno herself,need to be summoned,healed,feed and ofc have owner too(a veno can fight w/o pet ofc,but then...why need pets? If i want to fight w/o pet,i roll other class ) .That means veno and pet considered as one "team",as "solo"class.With the last updates of game,the evolved pets gain the most from veno armor and weapons witch "bound" more the pet and veno together.My herc have over 9.5k hp and i have +5 refines at armor only.I cant imagine myself having that herc in bag and trying kill "things" around by myself,it make no sense.This is our bless,this is our curse...

Not everyone have a herc yet. =)

And wow my gears are +7-10 and my herc have 6k hp. o.O
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Desdi - Sanctuary
    edited August 2013
    Does your Hercules have Bless? Sounds like it does. I'm pretty sure a Hercules can reach 10k HP or so with Bless, good inherit and good gear.
  • Jasms - Lost City
    Jasms - Lost City Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Xx_BeLLa_xX you are right b:surrender
    Desdi,well you are right too,i have bless on herc.With a few calculations i did,my herc can reach 14k+ hp,if i max out my gears refine and shards.That means i ll have 18k+ hp unbuffed b:pleased
    You will always have followers.Try have opponents...f:shy
  • ovenusarmanio
    ovenusarmanio Posts: 6,695 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013
    Out with the old, in with the new!

kritty%20sig_zpsp0y7ttsb.png
    Thanks to MikoTenshi for the Avi and Kritty for the Signature.
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    edited September 2013
    Out with the old, in with the new!

Whoa. I'm honoured.

And scared. And still need to finish it.
  • CrashmanOl - Dreamweaver
    CrashmanOl - Dreamweaver Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Whoa. I'm honoured.

And scared. And still need to finish it.

This guide is great. been using it to help my downstairs neighbor and my Veno alt. Haven't played in a looong time so was a little lost at first XD. great Guideb:pleased
    edited September 2013
    Does your Hercules have Bless? Sounds like it does. I'm pretty sure a Hercules can reach 10k HP or so with Bless, good inherit and good gear.

Is it the real name of the skill? I try to find the description of the skill, but didn't find it on ecatomb.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    edited September 2013
    Blessing of the Pack is the full name of the skill.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2013
    Blessing of the Pack is the full name of the skill.

It's not on Ecatomb, I'm looking for the skill description since it doesn't seems to be on Ecatomb or I'm blind.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    edited September 2013
    I don't see it on Ecatomb either, but it's on the Wiki.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DeffyNature - Archosaur
    DeffyNature - Archosaur Posts: 1,400 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    It's not on Ecatomb, I'm looking for the skill description since it doesn't seems to be on Ecatomb or I'm blind.

On ecatomb, for some odd reason, it has always been called Fire.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2013
    I don't see it on Ecatomb either, but it's on the Wiki.
    On ecatomb, for some odd reason, it has always been called Fire.

Thank you both. Last question, in game it's on the name of blessing of the pack?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    edited September 2013
    The skill, when taught to a pet, is Blessing of the Pack. The scroll used to teach it is Bless Scroll, which is what you'd have to search for in AH.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    edited September 2013
    The skill, when taught to a pet, is Blessing of the Pack. The scroll used to teach it is Bless Scroll, which is what you'd have to search for in AH.

Yeah, hence most people tend to call it Bless.

Side note, Pounce appears as Doo-Doo in AH/pet scroll.
  • Kilala_Vixen - Dreamweaver
    Kilala_Vixen - Dreamweaver Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Great job! This was really helpfull b:thanks
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    edited September 2013
    I'll be honest. I haven't logged in since I wrote the last update on this guide; so someone else needs to take it over.
  • mekukafu
    mekukafu Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    i admit venomancers are good at being in two places at once, but mystics are better. mystics can also use magic and physical, are better at buffs and debuffs, and can be in THREE places at once. Venomancers are no better than weak mystics with a fox form.