I dream of Genie

tsunamii
tsunamii Posts: 2 Arc User
edited September 2013 in Blademaster
Yes, If you look at my join date, I'm ancient. Played in beta and for awhile, but friends left so I left, only recently returned.

Currently am a LvL 70 BM looking to either possible tanking or heavy DDing in PvE, and hopefully be useful in NW/TW

so there is really 2 questions here:
What is a good stat/skill setup for a NW/TW genie

What is a good stat/skill setup for a PvE bossing Genie (Using fist/axe currently, all path stats)

Please, I'm asking what is good, as in advisory, rather than "What is best." Also this is not a troll post.

Thankies for any replies that are constructive b:mischievous
Post edited by tsunamii on

Comments

• Walpurga - Dreamweaver
    Walpurga - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,028 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    PVE: must haves: Cloud Eruption, Holy path if you're impatient, tangling mire and extreme poison are very popular and good skills, bramble rage used to be popular but is getting more rare these days. AD for obvious reasons, fortify if you feel like needing to IG

PVP: cloud, whirlwind, AD, faith if you can tank while not debuffed, occult ice for apsers, fortify to IG, Badge of Courage for a dex genie to break stuns
    Channels

youtube .com/user/WallyPWS Active

youtube .com/user/tehnewblife Semi Inactive
  • WannaBM - Archosaur
    WannaBM - Archosaur Posts: 1,984 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    In my personal order of importance:

PvE

Cloud eruption so that you can spark AND HF.
    Holy path for too many reasons to name.
    AD to stop yourself from dying.
    TOP to stop yourself from dying.
    Earthflame to pull mobs
    mire so you do a little more damage.

I think mire is nice if your genie can learn enough skills, but in squad theres probably someone else who has it, and solo, i value survival over that 10-15% damage bonus. The extra damage will just allow you to kill easy bosses faster. AD and TOP will actually allow you to solo tougher bosses.

Earthflame could also have been in last place i guess, but i tried playing without it and i felt like handicapped at some times having to ask another toon to pull for me.

Cloud eruption is a great skill for everyone, but mostly so for BMs. A BM who cannot spark + HF is a noob BM. You can use thee for it instead of course, or the other genie chi skill, but you need something to make chi. CE is generally the best option.

AD and TOP are simply important tools to stay alive, both when you are fighting bosses possibly solo and you simply know that your paint heals and crab dont cut it and for the unexpected situations in life. Have them handy, not only those, but also apoth items with similar effects are invaluable. The more options the better (since they all have cooldowns) AD can also used to activate IG without the demobilising effect.

EP of course deserves a mention. It is a nice skill on the right genie. But i strongly advocate using vit/mag genies so that you can cast all those skills often. EP is a bit poor on such a genie. Out of the skills i proposed, only TOP seriously benefits from str/dex, and even that skill does its job very well enough with base str. BTW as for stats, IF you have mire on your genie, make sure your genie has enough VIT to cast CE and mire within a second of eachother for that spark-hf-mire combination. Remaining points are best in magic imo. Keep your CE level 1 or the cost will go too high.

About PvP i know very little. Only thing i learned is that in NW, high magic is again important since if you are not OP, you are dying often. You want that genie to regain his energy as fast as possible after death.
    In pvp there are many other skills however that do need str/dex on the genie. So there are a lot of conflicting interests and you probably best make a few different genies to test different skill combinations with different stats on the genie to see what you like most. To allow yourself some versatility, i would buy a bunch of 65-70/100 genies. They are really cheap (1-2m on my server) and since you're just testing now, it is not yet so important to have many skills on them. Later when you really know exactly what you want you go for the 81+ genie for pvp :) (for PvE, a 65-70 can really be fine or a 71+ when you want to pay an extra 5m to get that extra skill (in my line of suggestion mire)
    Everything i write is from PvE perspective unless mentioned otherwise.
  • TsunamiRyu - Heavens Tear
    TsunamiRyu - Heavens Tear Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    thanks, I'm definatly gonna look into those after maint tomorrow. Anymore skill's anyone advises? I'll be giving everything a look over.

Oh also stats for genie? Or should I stat based on what the skill says?
  • WannaBM - Archosaur
    WannaBM - Archosaur Posts: 1,984 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    It needs to go together. Thats why you need a total build where the skills and stats work together. After you add 40 stat points to one stat, they will halve in efficiency. Your genie usually has in the 160-180 range of points to use. You can very cheaply make items that add 4 points to 1 stat (4 items 16 points total) or a little less cheaply +4 to 2 stats or +6 to one stat.

Therefore 40 mag and 40 vit are usually a given. If you want to cast CE + mire, you will need about 80 vit. 16 will come from items. So that means you want to bring base vit to around 65. Remaining points i would put in mag.

If for PvP you want to make dex/str genies. I would recommend starting with 40 in dex or str and 40 in mag and vit. For 120 total. Leaving you 40-60 points to put in any of those 3 stats after that.
    Trying to make a genie that has both str and dex i think will result in a genie that is not really good at anything.
    Everything i write is from PvE perspective unless mentioned otherwise.
    edited September 2013
    Alright, think I get it then. thanks a lot for explaining it out for me.
  • Jaabg - Sanctuary
    Jaabg - Sanctuary Posts: 2,256 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    TheDan made a good guide on the genies. It is sticked in the forums. http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1320761

Welcome back to pwi, hope you have fun, and don't get turned away by the rude people, and OP people.
    edited September 2013
    Every game has Rude and OP players, I'm used to that with F2P games. And thanks for the sticky, didn't see it while browsing forums. Long as I got friends here I'm set honesty, just starting to hunt for a faction on Heavens Tear.

Edit: Just noticed it says my forum join date is this month *shrugs* thought it would show my old date