Selling Gold without AH

Options
assistantscott
assistantscott Posts: 0 Arc User
edited September 2013 in Dungeons & Tactics
There have been people on World Chat announcing "WTB gold without AH fee, PM me" but as far as I have found, you can't do this. Are they just out of the loop, or is there a way to transfer gold to other people without the auction house?

Thanks. D:
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    Mayfly - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,094 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Options
    How this works is the cash shopper buys the customer's desired item from the boutique and sells that to the customer for coins, so it isn't directly transferring gold.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Weekly Japanese/English bilingual webcomic
    thejapanesepage.com/ebooks/yuki_no_monogatari_manga
  • PotatoHeadQR - Dreamweaver
    PotatoHeadQR - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,507 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Options
    what mayfly said.
    although I haven't managed to strike a deal when I tried buying gold... all I got was a noob scammer that wanted me to mail him 170m while he 'mailed' the chipsb:laugh
    you only purge once #yopo
  • NigeIus - Dreamweaver
    NigeIus - Dreamweaver Posts: 399 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Options
    what mayfly said.
    although I haven't managed to strike a deal when I tried buying gold... all I got was a noob scammer that wanted me to mail him 170m while he 'mailed' the chipsb:laugh

it sounds legit.
  • assistantscott
    edited September 2013
    Options
    But they're not talking about items. They're saying "Want to buy gold for ____ price without AH fee" and one person just posed "Selling blah blah item for ___ gold each." Nobody is mentioning coins or items. .-.

I thought they just didn't know you couldn't sell gold that way but a lot of people keep posting it and nobody is smarting them off calling them noobs or correcting them or getting annoyed that people keep asking to do stuff you can't even do, etc.
  • Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    Mayfly - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,094 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Nevertheless, that's what's being offered. There is no way to barter coins for gold outside the AH, so there must be (boutique) items being used to carry out the exchange.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Weekly Japanese/English bilingual webcomic
    thejapanesepage.com/ebooks/yuki_no_monogatari_manga
    edited September 2013
    Options
    But they're not talking about items. They're saying "Want to buy gold for ____ price without AH fee" and one person just posed "Selling blah blah item for ___ gold each." Nobody is mentioning coins or items. .-.

I thought they just didn't know you couldn't sell gold that way but a lot of people keep posting it and nobody is smarting them off calling them noobs or correcting them or getting annoyed that people keep asking to do stuff you can't even do, etc.

because since everyone knows that you can't trade gold in any other way besides items+AH, it's automatically assumed that an item trade is what's going to happen. In case of the sellers, it's impractical to list all boutique items
  • SomeRandomEA - Lost City
    SomeRandomEA - Lost City Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Options
    I had a few trades like that but it is very hard to find someone willing to sell gold that way... They all think it some sort of scam or that it is imposible (even when I explain how to do it)... If you need some item from boutique it is much better to buy like that since you don't need to pay AH fee which is good for both buyer and seller...
  • Azura - Lost City
    Azura - Lost City Posts: 2,281 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Options

It's like mayfly said in the 1st post. The cash shopper buys items for the costumer, and then the costumer pays according the rate they agreed upon. The reason they don't say anything about items is because this part is implicit. A costumer expects someone to pm him/her something like: "how much gold do you want to buy?" The costumer says then how much gold s/he wants to buy, and after that the cash shopper asks what item s/he wants.
  • skaitavia
    skaitavia Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Options

"Want to buy gold for x price without AH fee" is the same as something like

"Want to buy 50 gold for 5 Medals of Glory for x coin per gold without AH fee", which translates to:

"Want to buy 5 Medals of Glory for x coin, which totals 50 gold * x price per gold, without the AH fee", which more or less translates to:

"Want to buy 5 Medals of Glory for x coin"

I hope that helps.
  • Salari - Raging Tide
    Salari - Raging Tide Posts: 2,102 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Options
    In other games forum moderators or a GM would be the middle man between those types of transactions. CS would buy the item and give to the Mod, other person would give Mod the coins. Then Mod would give the coins to the CS'er and the item or items to the other. A lot safer and generally the Mod would save screens of the transaction encase there was any issue that arises later on. The only real issue with this was from people using cracked accounts to sell off items or gold(boutique items) off the account.

This was pretty much the standard on the last game I played. The top end items had more value that you could hold in your bank so multiple transactions would happen. There was an item similar to big notes here, but for some odd reason they (the developers) decided those would be bound and never changed their minds even with all the uproar about it. So you had to sell those give coins to middle man then sell more till you were done.

This would be good to do here, but with the low amount of mods it is not really feasible and near zero interactive of GM's (which is really not their fault). The idea of Game Advisers would work with this from another thread though.
    Marine - Marshall - Raging Tides - Retired
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    DEMHEALSMAN - Dreamweaver
    Yes, because people really need 900+ dex or 1000+ magic just for the lulz
  • assistantscott
    edited September 2013
    Options
    I had a few trades like that but it is very hard to find someone willing to sell gold that way... They all think it some sort of scam or that it is imposible (even when I explain how to do it)... If you need some item from boutique it is much better to buy like that since you don't need to pay AH fee which is good for both buyer and seller...

^ I do have gold to sell and as you said, when people post it worded that way it makes me think they're trying to scam me since just "selling gold" isn't possible, so I never bother PMing them.

Thanks everybody for answers. f:kneel
    edited September 2013
    Options
    In other games forum moderators or a GM would be the middle man between those types of transactions. CS would buy the item and give to the Mod, other person would give Mod the coins. Then Mod would give the coins to the CS'er and the item or items to the other. A lot safer and generally the Mod would save screens of the transaction encase there was any issue that arises later on. The only real issue with this was from people using cracked accounts to sell off items or gold(boutique items) off the account.

don't really see the point of doing all that.
    if it was "person A gives mod the coins, person B buys the item and gives it to the mod" it makes sense since person B is secured against person A "changing" his mind; then, B is stuck with an item that might not be able to be sold fast/for the original value (e.g. fashion)