Why Nerfing Tidal is Stupid.

tsyfall
tsyfall Posts: 9
edited November 2013 in Arigora Colosseum
Why Tidal is OP: OP for

Over Persecuted

By Tsyasae, resident forum PvP poster

QQers complain extensively about how Sage Tidal Protection is broken - and, in an uncertain environment, players keep being suckered.

ACCORDING to QQers, I'm a cheater. Excuse me: "overpowered." That's because, even though I play a DPH sin that can get charmbypassed by Gemini, and have the armour rating of a half-assed archer, my only passive defensive buff marks me as overpowered, according to the QQers.

Sage Tidal is the only defensive buff that Assassins have. It's their only defense, and fills the role of a Seeker's Adrenal Numbness, or perhaps a cleric's Plume Shell. However, many people consider Sage Tidal to be too difficult to circumvent, and thus it is considered as extremely "overpowered." There's just one problem with these figures: They are based on a remarkably elaborate series of falsities, myths, and lies purported by people who have neither the knowledge nor the skill to compensate for a rather simple buff.

That's a pretty strong claim, right? You bet. But why not be straightfoward when discussing a scam the scale and audacity of which would raise Bernie Madoff's eyebrows?

My beef with Tidal critics isn't novel. The issue has an impressive supply of proponents and critics, and surprisingly many advocates of Tidal aren't Assassins. (They admit while annoying, it can be circumvented, and that while annoying, it is a necessary evil. Sound familiar?) The main arguments against Tidal Protection, however, are lies - a harsh word. But it is the only word that reflects the ignorance of those carrying out their propaganda war against an Assassin's only form of defensive buff.

Lie No. 1: Tidal Protection is godhood. An assassin can not be debuffed in any way while they have Tidal Protection up.
Reality: Yeah, no. The skill description for Sage Tidal clearly states a modest "66% chance to evade the status of incoming attacks." That means, one in three debuffs will work against an assassin. Most people can't debuff an assassin because they think "oh, 1/3. Not going to try," and never actually go for a debuff. You're going to miss all the shots you take.
Assassins are very debuffable, perhaps more so in mass PvP, where there are AoEs flying around and there are a lot more skills that have a % to debuff landing on a poor assassin.

Lie No. 2: Tidal Protection is overpowered because people only get a 30 second window to kill the assassin.
Reality: Yeah, bullcrap. Ever heard of a thing called damage? Tidal Protection, unlike Focused Mind, has a chance to only block status effects. And we must remember that to actually kill someone, we must deal damage - using stuns just makes it somewhat easier. Sins can still be killed during Tidal Protection.
Furthermore, this relates to my previous point. Assassins can still be debuffed during Tidal Protection. If you don't bother to try to debuff an assassin while they have Tidal, they can save genie and apothecary for the 30 seconds when Tidal is on cooldown. You will certainly not kill them.
However, if someone takes the initiative to try to stun during Tidal, then they have a modest chance of stunning the assassin. A well placed stun will force genie or apothecary. Doing this multiple times not only means that an assassin can't use genie or apothecary to kill you; it also means that you can kill them with ease when Tidal Protection is off.

Lie No. 3: Tidal Protection is overpowered because sins are overpowered.
Reality: Not a chance. Every class has their own role. Assassins just tend to be better at 1v1 than group PvP - a lot better. And 1v1 is usually when a lot of ego-problems are going to rise up, because simply put, a 1v1 is a contest to prove who deserves the bigger e-peen. If people actually took into consideration how disadvantaged Assassins are in group PvP, overall, they would conclude that Assassin (with the introduction of Morai skills, Purify Proc, and similar modifications) is actually a balanced class.

Lie No. 4: Assassins are immortal. A DPH sin will never die 1v1 because of Tidal Protection.
Reality: Okay, really? Fine, let's take a look at some examples.
Example A: These two PvPers are excellent overall and have relatively equal (maxed out) gear. The assassin in question loses one of the fights - ironically enough, to a debuff landed through Tidal Protection.
Example B: These two characters are well played and have exactly equal gear. The assassin in question loses many fights - in no small part due to debuffs and a playstyle that counters Tidal Protection extremely well.

Lie No. 5: Sins don't need Tidal Protection. They can make do without it.
Reality: No. Just no.
An assassin is a light armour class. It, unlike arcane or heavy armour, can not tank extensively versus either types of damage. An assassin without Tidal Protection, getting hit with 100% debuff rate, is akin to shredding tissue paper with an industrial-grade diamond-tipped blade.
Let's do some comparisons that make this easier to perceive.
An assassin has light armour. Same as archer. Archer has range; assassin is melee. Fighting an assassin is basically fighting an archer that has to stay next to you and take full damage.
An assassin can stunlock. Same as Bm. A blademaster has a consistent stunlock and impressive defensive capabilities; an assassin has a short stunlock that deals little damage, and once again, has no armour capabilities. Try fighting a blademaster with none of his ornaments and a stunlock so terrible you could AFK tank it.
So as you can see: Assassins need Tidal Protection. It's their only reliable way to defend themselves.

Lie No. 6: Tidal Protection is OP everywhere. It would be more balanced to remove the current-day version of it.
Reality: Yeah, no. Sage Tidal Protection contributes heavily to a Sage Assassin's survival, including matters of PvE. Currently the main outlook is this: Demon Assassins have higher damage and lower defense capabilities. Sage Assassins have lower damage and better defense capabilities.
Taking Tidal out of that equation basically means that Sage Assassins would have nothing over Demons (beside Sage Spark, which is commonly overwritten by Windshield anyways).

In short, somewhere along the way over the past few years, Tidal Protection became the scapegoat of Assassins. Classic human behavior: If you're failing, blame it on anything but yourself.

Many critics of Sage Tidal protection simply don't get it. They see that seals can be countered by Will Surge, or that Purge can be countered by Faith. They don't see a skill that let's them hit 100% through Tidal Protection, and so they say "I don't understand, therefore OVERPOWERED!" The truth is, dealing with Tidal Protection is more of a matter of playstyle. If you keep in mind the following:

a. Try for debuffs through Tidal so an assassin uses genie so they don't have it when there's no tidal.
b. Kite around and waste an assassin's defense through pure damage.
c. Realize that Tidal is not godhood.

Then killing an assassin is a long, but entirely straightfoward, task. Lots of experienced players will advise others that a rational alternative to QQing is to compensate accordingly. Think outside of the box. There is always a solution. I agree.

But it really shouldn't be my responsibility to bring this issue up and address it. Players buy into the whole "Tidal is Overpowered" religion because the critics are so loud and the players themselves are so uncertain. The only way to correct this misconception is to learn yourself.

So, players, PvPers, and critics: Got a problem? Learn the solution. It's not hard.
End rant.

I will be happy to respond to any questions you have about this issue. I suggest that if you reply without having read the whole thing, you will be one of the people who listens to a radio excerpt on a debate and think they understand world politics.
I also apologize about the length of this post. Habit.

Credit to John Tierney and Paul Campos in providing inspiration for me writing this article.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Boomz - Harshlands
    Boomz - Harshlands Posts: 516 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    ok, first LOL. Now, you stated in your long rant that an assassin is better in 1v1 - much better than other classes, this just defeats your entire point that sins are not overpowered in pvp. pvp "Player vs. Player" refers to a 1v1 match. If in a 1v1 a sin is much stronger it therefore is an overpowered class, enough said. 2nd on the pve side sin is the best farming class, they can solo almost any instance in the game (except gv, warsong, and aeu of course), enough said. Now, you do a long rant about sage tidal protection, i will simplify this: you say r9 3rd sins are easy to kill even though you can barely even land a debuff? there are many classes who damage is based on landing debuffs like a wizard, that arguement is horrible. If I as a wizard can't land a debuff on a sin with almost 20k hp how am i suppost to kill it? As a r9 3rd cast wiz myself I am not hitting those insane 15k+ on aa and la classes without debuffs. Also, I think you forgot the mention that when your "30 second window" opens, you can just go into stealth and hide until all your cools are ready. How can you stand to say sins are not overpowered when they are the best at real pvp and pve?b:surrender
    ░░░░███████]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂ cause i can't make art, so i made
    ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤this awesome tank.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] 1 shot king. LV 150 FSP bosses hit for 3m. Top Player hit record: 652,656.
  • SashaGray - Heavens Tear
    SashaGray - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,765 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    nobody cared the first time, what do you think changed?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tsyfall
    edited September 2013
    ok, first LOL. Now, you stated in your long rant that an assassin is better in 1v1 - much better than other classes, this just defeats your entire point that sins are not overpowered in pvp. pvp "Player vs. Player" refers to a 1v1 match. If in a 1v1 a sin is much stronger it therefore is an overpowered class, enough said. 2nd on the pve side sin is the best farming class, they can solo almost any instance in the game (except gv, warsong, and aeu of course), enough said. Now, you do a long rant about sage tidal protection, i will simplify this: you say r9 3rd sins are easy to kill even though you can barely even land a debuff? there are many classes who damage is based on landing debuffs like a wizard, that arguement is horrible. If I as a wizard can't land a debuff on a sin with almost 20k hp how am i suppost to kill it? As a r9 3rd cast wiz myself I am not hitting those insane 15k+ on aa and la classes without debuffs. Also, I think you forgot the mention that when your "30 second window" opens, you can just go into stealth and hide until all your cools are ready. How can you stand to say sins are not overpowered when they are the best at real pvp and pve?b:surrender

PvP stands for Player vs Player. Adding two "s" to that makes it "Players vs Players". Assassins basically suck at group PvP compared to other classes, because they get to specialize in particularly single target control.
    Similarly, archers suck at 1v1. But they're basically gods at group PvP - ranged and aoe purge, highest physical aps damage at endgame, kiting, antistun, etc etc.
    It all averages out.

I also provided two videos for your viewing pleasure that feature assassins losing even with sage tidal - to debuffs landed THROUGH tidal. There's no point in replying to something you didn't even read. If IKUTMYSELF can kill Bait through tidal, using the same spark combo that you use as well - maybe you just die because you don't have skill? Just a thought.

If an assassin goes into stealth, that means they're not attacking you. That means you have 30 seconds for apoth and genie to cooldown, too. If you play defensive for 60 seconds and let them stealth for 30, you should not die.

Edit: "The Original Troll" in your signature. Guess I wasted my time here.
    nobody cared the first time, what do you think changed?
    Can't believe someone brought this up so quickly, actually.
  • Sister_Warui - Raging Tide
    Sister_Warui - Raging Tide Posts: 996 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Yeah I have multiple issues with sins although...Tidal is not one of them :O
    Perfect Signature made by Silvy![SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RandomSin: Horu your wife is a murderer.
    Horugou: I know, Isn't it great? :D
    Reroll closed thread because necros suck. -Kossy
  • Zsw - Dreamweaver
    Zsw - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,087 Arc User
    edited September 2013

Obvious troll. Even says so in signature.

If PvP was singular, PvP server should just be about duels then. Also, last I checked, undine is pretty spammable with barely any cost.

Should I make a longer reply?
    Zsw -104 Sage Assassin
    TehZsw - 100 Demon Archer

All Luck No Skillz PvPer: youtube.com/user/zsw007
  • Boomz - Harshlands
    Boomz - Harshlands Posts: 516 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I can also post 2 videos, but with an assassin with sage tidal and that person owning in pvp 1v5. Its very simple: the assassin walks out in 105 stealth, 2 spark, inner harmony, subsea, earthern rift, go back into stealth. This combo kills even r9 3rd casts within about 3 seconds or less. Assassins are amasing at group pvp because they can stealth, kill the cleric, stealth, kill another, etc.
    ░░░░███████]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂ cause i can't make art, so i made
    ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤this awesome tank.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] 1 shot king. LV 150 FSP bosses hit for 3m. Top Player hit record: 652,656.
  • Zsw - Dreamweaver
    edited September 2013
    I can also post 2 videos, but with an assassin with sage tidal and that person owning in pvp 1v5. Its very simple: the assassin walks out in 105 stealth, 2 spark, inner harmony, subsea, earthern rift, go back into stealth. This combo kills even r9 3rd casts within about 3 seconds or less. Assassins are amasing at group pvp because they can stealth, kill the cleric, stealth, kill another, etc.

Detection Pot?...
    Zsw -104 Sage Assassin

• Zanryu - Dreamweaver
    Zanryu - Dreamweaver Posts: 7,261 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Okay, I'll bite.

Well you've already started off with a bold faced lie, Tidal is not their only defensive skill. You neglect to mention Deaden Nerves, which even if you DO manage to get through Tidal or force their genie while in Tidal to go for the kill, they can still very much survive and render those efforts worthless.

1: Debuffs cost time and usually chi, in a game where you need debuffs to land kills a skill that resists them 2/3 of the time is arguably the best defensive skill in the game. You need stuns, debuffs, amps, or usually some combination to actually bring down a target or you just simply will not have the damage needed to bypass a charm or drop it from full to 0 in 10 seconds (less if fighting a Psychic). It's not impossible, sure, but it's difficult and you can end up wasting both time and chi to hope you can land a debuff, stun, or amp.

2: Let's not forget that for every debuff that isn't landing, that's less genie energy the sin has to use to break stuns, purify debuffs, or resist damage. 30 seconds would be enough to kill a class if it were to sit there and face tank you while you threw debuffs on it, but it's extremely likely that an Assassin will be able to save his genie to mitigate any damage you can throw at it as well as being able to kite efficiently with the use of Tackling Slash on melee classes and Deep Sting on ranged classes in order to buy a few seconds. Remember how it usually takes some kind of debuff to land kills? Yeah, that just makes it all the harder for you to get the damage required to kill outside of an insanely lucky zerk crit chain or crit from ~ half HP.

3: They can still have quite the impact in group PvP, especially if waiting on the right timing. I wouldn't call it disadvantaged unless it's large scale PvP, but in a situation like that anything that gets focus fired is going to have a tough time. I'd chalk it up to them having a more specialized role, which is waiting in stealth to take down a key target after it's exhausted genie or apo. Not much can survive an Assassin once it has no outside resources to defend itself with. You've experienced this yourself I believe in some of our 2v2 and 3v3s, you were able to survive a handful of people for a fair amount of time even after your partner(s) died. You weren't able to win, but you did survive which is what most other classes are capable of as well. Sure, you have less AoEs than most classes, but you do offer a fair amount of passive survivability and the option to stealth some of your squad members for a short amount of time.

>b-but stealth pots

Yeah, so? If they're wasting time going for you when you're likely 30 meters away waiting to teleport to your target if people see you they'll either ignore you as it's a waste of time to chase you down, or chase you down which takes heat off your team and possibly leaves them at a temporary numbers advantage. At the very least it could take one of them away from your team while you waste his/her time kiting them. I'd say that's still quite useful.

4: I personally wouldn't say immortal, but I would say very difficult to kill given their passive resistance to one shots at nearly any given time and 66% chance to resist the only reliable way of landing kills. Immortal? No. But the things I just listed in combination with extremely good CC abilities and the ability to constantly regenerate chi allow sins a lot of chances to land kills that they would likely not land if limited by chi as every other class is. Blowing through 5 sparks in one combo and having some left after? Come on man. Come on.

5: An Assassin's lock does very respectable damage, you should know this better than anyone. That being said, it isn't the main point of this is it? So let's move on. I'll agree that the debuffs can shred an Assassin, but there's a fine line between not good enough and too good. As it stands, Tidal Protection is too good. A slight nerf to Demon and Sage Tidal would allow people to have a decent chance at landing debuffs while still allowing the sin extremely good resistance to it. I don't believe a sin should be able to sit there and take attack after attack without wasting genie to purify the debuffs that actually do land. There should be some kind of balance between it, and a small nerf would allow sins to still dodge a lot of debuffs but they'd still need to use genie now and then even while in Tidal.

6: I.. honestly can't say I care about it much in PvE, let's face it that aspect of the game is already easy enough anyway. I can't speak for the new Abba and SoT, but the rest of it? As if it even requires skill past a certain point. It's gear up and faceroll.

I understand Tidal fine, and I still believe it's a bit much. In my experience it's been mostly Assassins that defend the skill and the way stealth is, as it seems to be in every game involving a stealth class. "It's not broken 'cause it's part of the game. We need it 'cause we're squish. Our high damage doesn't mean anything." when the reality is they seem to get much more love than other classes. I get that they're squishy, but it usually works out in a way that the classes have skills that far exceed what they need to compensate for it.

In any case, good luck landing important debuffs through tidal and playing a game of luck where the sin has nearly every advantage depending on the class. Is a game where luck rules supreme the kind of game you really enjoy?
  • tsyfall
    edited September 2013
    How I've missed you, sir!
    Okay, I'll bite.
    HI ZANRYU <3

Well you've already started off with a bold faced lie, Tidal is not their only defensive skill. You neglect to mention Deaden Nerves, which even if you DO manage to get through Tidal or force their genie while in Tidal to go for the kill, they can still very much survive and render those efforts worthless.
    Deaden Nerves is completely different. If it's ticked, then you have to wait for the rest of the cooldown to get it up again. Tidal stays up no matter how many times it works/fails.

1: Debuffs cost time and usually chi, in a game where you need debuffs to land kills a skill that resists them 2/3 of the time is arguably the best defensive skill in the game. You need stuns, debuffs, amps, or usually some combination to actually bring down a target or you just simply will not have the damage needed to bypass a charm or drop it from full to 0 in 10 seconds (less if fighting a Psychic). It's not impossible, sure, but it's difficult and you can end up wasting both time and chi to hope you can land a debuff, stun, or amp.
    This is true of all classes. If a player always died to a specific combo, then this would be a game of speed, not intelligence and skill. Futhermore, assassin's also need stuns, debuffs, and amps - which in themselves also have to work against their target's natural self-buffs.
    Tidal makes it difficult for an opponent to proc a sin's genie, yes. However, if a sin is using debuffs to try to kill you, they're also using genie - which means they won't have it for their defense. Chi is also not as costly as you imply - Roar costs 35 chi and can be spammed pretty much every 15 seconds. Chances are, you're going to stun at least once during a Tidal cycle, and chances are, a BM will get sufficient zerk crits to force genie at least once in a 2 minute fight.

2: Let's not forget that for every debuff that isn't landing, that's less genie energy the sin has to use to break stuns, purify debuffs, or resist damage. 30 seconds would be enough to kill a class if it were to sit there and face tank you while you threw debuffs on it, but it's extremely likely that an Assassin will be able to save his genie to mitigate any damage you can throw at it as well as being able to kite efficiently with the use of Tackling Slash on melee classes and Deep Sting on ranged classes in order to buy a few seconds. Remember how it usually takes some kind of debuff to land kills? Yeah, that just makes it all the harder for you to get the damage required to kill outside of an insanely lucky zerk crit chain or crit from ~ half HP.
    The same thing could be said of any other class. A wizard can kite if their genie is used up, thus negating their vulnerability.
    Furthermore, at endgame defenses, a crit chain or lucky charm bypass is really the only way someone will kill something - baring a wizard sutra combo.

3: They can still have quite the impact in group PvP, especially if waiting on the right timing. I wouldn't call it disadvantaged unless it's large scale PvP, but in a situation like that anything that gets focus fired is going to have a tough time. I'd chalk it up to them having a more specialized role, which is waiting in stealth to take down a key target after it's exhausted genie or apo. Not much can survive an Assassin once it has no outside resources to defend itself with. You've experienced this yourself I believe in some of our 2v2 and 3v3s, you were able to survive a handful of people for a fair amount of time even after your partner(s) died. You weren't able to win, but you did survive which is what most other classes are capable of as well. Sure, you have less AoEs than most classes, but you do offer a fair amount of passive survivability and the option to stealth some of your squad members for a short amount of time.
    Most other classes can also survive 2v1 and similar in a pure defense mode. Taking away Tidal just basically removes that capability completely - a nerf for sins that brings more imbalance than equality.
    My point is, however, that while a BM can HF and basically help drop a group of 5 people - a sin can only pretty much do that to 1 person, after waiting in stealth, which is rare. They'd lose this capability with the nerf of tidal as well, seeing as most sins are instantly targetted out of stealth.

>b-but stealth pots

Yeah, so? If they're wasting time going for you when you're likely 30 meters away waiting to teleport to your target if people see you they'll either ignore you as it's a waste of time to chase you down, or chase you down which takes heat off your team and possibly leaves them at a temporary numbers advantage. At the very least it could take one of them away from your team while you waste his/her time kiting them. I'd say that's still quite useful.
    5v1 was the original situation. Could honestly just have people cycle their stealth detection pots once every 30 seconds.

4: I personally wouldn't say immortal, but I would say very difficult to kill given their passive resistance to one shots at nearly any given time and 66% chance to resist the only reliable way of landing kills. Immortal? No. But the things I just listed in combination with extremely good CC abilities and the ability to constantly regenerate chi allow sins a lot of chances to land kills that they would likely not land if limited by chi as every other class is. Blowing through 5 sparks in one combo and having some left after? Come on man. Come on.
    Smack doesn't cost 1 spark, as does Throatcut. Drake Bash doesn't cost 2 sparks, as does Headhunt. Furthermore, those mentioned "5 spark combos" are necessary as assassins actually hit weakly without amazing crits and debuffs. Sins generate chi faster than any other class - but they use it up just as quickly. I don't see wizard's expending 5 sparks to kill someone - because they can just do it with two.
    The only advantage sins really have is that their sparks cost "half as much" - considering their chi generation is twice as fast.
    That being said, assassins lose that without tidal. They get CCed to hell the moment tidal is off and often use genie to compensate if they don't holy path off the map.

5: An Assassin's lock does very respectable damage, you should know this better than anyone. That being said, it isn't the main point of this is it? So let's move on. I'll agree that the debuffs can shred an Assassin, but there's a fine line between not good enough and too good. As it stands, Tidal Protection is too good. A slight nerf to Demon and Sage Tidal would allow people to have a decent chance at landing debuffs while still allowing the sin extremely good resistance to it. I don't believe a sin should be able to sit there and take attack after attack without wasting genie to purify the debuffs that actually do land. There should be some kind of balance between it, and a small nerf would allow sins to still dodge a lot of debuffs but they'd still need to use genie now and then even while in Tidal.
    Okay, you serious? Ask a Sin to permanently stunlock the way a BM can, and deal damage while doing it.
    Find which class is going to deal the most damage and lock the longest time. I'll bet it will be the BM.

Sins only lock for short periods of time in order to pull off those multispark combos, where they can have a both stunned and debuffed opponent at the same time, which is the only way sins ever kill anyone.

6: I.. honestly can't say I care about it much in PvE, let's face it that aspect of the game is already easy enough anyway. I can't speak for the new Abba and SoT, but the rest of it? As if it even requires skill past a certain point. It's gear up and faceroll.
    JAJAAJAJAAJ LOL PVE but yeah, same.

I understand Tidal fine, and I still believe it's a bit much. In my experience it's been mostly Assassins that defend the skill and the way stealth is, as it seems to be in every game involving a stealth class. "It's not broken 'cause it's part of the game. We need it 'cause we're squish. Our high damage doesn't mean anything." when the reality is they seem to get much more love than other classes. I get that they're squishy, but it usually works out in a way that the classes have skills that far exceed what they need to compensate for it.
    Go 1v1 an assassin without Tidal. If assassins were balanced without Tidal, it would be a 50/50 win rate.

Equal gear, I highly doubt that would be the outcome.

In any case, good luck landing important debuffs through tidal and playing a game of luck where the sin has nearly every advantage depending on the class. Is a game where luck rules supreme the kind of game you really enjoy?
    I've already explained that assassins are naturally deficient in defenses. Is a game where you can kill with ease every single sin the kind of game you really enjoy?
    Well actually. Hmm.

Basically, for balance at around 1v1 purposes, you'd expect an assassin to win slightly more than 50% of the time with an equally geared and skilled opponent. Since this is basically what today's 1v1s look like - an even score leaning more towards the sin - I'd say assassins of today are balanced.

Nerfing tidal basically says: Assassins are only balanced without tidal. So, I'd expect assassins to win slightly more than 50% of the time with an equally geared and skilled opponent... without tidal.

As good as I am, I can't pull that off.

Let me remind everyone reading that this is NOT a thread on how sins are better at somethings and not so good on others.

It is a thread to prove that the arguments for nerfing Sage Tidal Protection are clearly invalid.
  • Lyritha - Heavens Tear
    Lyritha - Heavens Tear Posts: 447 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    instead of complaining I highly suggest a solution that only you can come up with and not the development team : go play something else. If it is broken in your opinion and there are no signs of a "fix" then just simply play something you do not have a problem with.
  • tsyfall
    edited September 2013
    instead of complaining I highly suggest a solution that only you can come up with and not the development team : go play something else. If it is broken in your opinion and there are no signs of a "fix" then just simply play something you do not have a problem with.

Hmm. I wasn't complaining about the problems. I was complaining about the people complaining about the problems - and trying to prove that those problems don't actually exist.
    Did you misinterpret me?

It's not Sage Tidal I have an issue with. I have an issue with the people who make an issue out of Sage Tidal - and for facetious reasons.
  • Zanryu - Dreamweaver
    edited September 2013
    tsyfall wrote: »
    Deaden Nerves is completely different. If it's ticked, then you have to wait for the rest of the cooldown to get it up again. Tidal stays up no matter how many times it works/fails.

As long as it still negates the hit, it effectively renders whatever tactics used to bring the sin's HP to zero worthless. It's entirely likely that the combo used to do so is far more costly than Deaden Nerves, and could force their genie, apo, or both on cooldown as it may have used both of those or it may have used a lot of chi, needing a White Tea or Cloud Eruption to regenerate. Though Deaden Nerves only works once, it can still give the Assassin that edge it needs to pull off a win. Especially considering how luck based a fight can be thanks to Tidal Protection.
    This is true of all classes. If a player always died to a specific combo, then this would be a game of speed, not intelligence and skill. Futhermore, assassin's also need stuns, debuffs, and amps - which in themselves also have to work against their target's natural self-buffs.
    Tidal makes it difficult for an opponent to proc a sin's genie, yes. However, if a sin is using debuffs to try to kill you, they're also using genie - which means they won't have it for their defense. Chi is also not as costly as you imply - Roar costs 35 chi and can be spammed pretty much every 15 seconds. Chances are, you're going to stun at least once during a Tidal cycle, and chances are, a BM will get sufficient zerk crits to force genie at least once in a 2 minute fight.

Truth be told players tend to die to the same combo, it isn't using the combo that takes skill, it's forcing your opponent's options to create an opening for the combo or some variation of it. Assassins have naturally high damage output and the ability to regenerate their chi for no cost. Whatever they spend they can get back with proper skill management. A sin can spare 50 energy on an Extreme Poison now and again as on any average genie it's only 25 seconds to recharge that, less if using a high mag/vit genie. The fact that they have the option to use amps as they please with little to no fear of a stun/debuff chain shows that something is wrong. 35 chi is a lot on a class that isn't going to be able to recover it very quickly, especially since it can be locked down fairly easily unless it uses genie or wastes 1 spark. 35 chi multiple times to try for just one stun will add up quickly. Even if the BM does force genie it's unlikely to happen at an optimal time, and if it does it's likely to require genie and possibly apothecary to recover the chi used. A two minute fight is enough to allow the sin to throw Tidal Protection up once again if the person fighting them fails to land the kill.
    The same thing could be said of any other class. A wizard can kite if their genie is used up, thus negating their vulnerability.
    Furthermore, at endgame defenses, a crit chain or lucky charm bypass is really the only way someone will kill something - baring a wizard sutra combo.

Thing is you can actually force that easier, you can exhaust their resources and get them into a position where they need to kite or likely die. An Assassin is much more difficult to force into that position, however they can still very easily kite anyway and make it that much harder to kill them.
    Most other classes can also survive 2v1 and similar in a pure defense mode. Taking away Tidal just basically removes that capability completely - a nerf for sins that brings more imbalance than equality.
    My point is, however, that while a BM can HF and basically help drop a group of 5 people - a sin can only pretty much do that to 1 person, after waiting in stealth, which is rare. They'd lose this capability with the nerf of tidal as well, seeing as most sins are instantly targetted out of stealth.

Nobody said anything about taking it away, just reducing its effectiveness slightly so that it doesn't have as much impact as it currently does. You can see a BM coming and focus them/ready your genie for them and resist or at least mitigate the effect they're going to have. You can do no such thing for an Assassin in most cases, and this puts the class in a unique position to take advantage of the chaos the others can cause, such as forcing genies or apo. Once that's done the Sin can come in and destroy key targets on the opposing team as once you've exhausted those resources it's extremely difficult to survive an Assassin, let alone an Assassin plus their team. The only other class that could hope to fill this niche is Archer, and they'd do it poorly. It's not conventional in terms of the style of PvP this game offers, but it's a viable tactic and you see it a lot outside of group PvP (sins waiting in stealth for someone to finish a 1v1 then double/triple sparking and killing them). It's underhanded, but it definitely serves its purpose their and will serve its purpose in group PvP as well.
    Smack doesn't cost 1 spark, as does Throatcut. Drake Bash doesn't cost 2 sparks, as does Headhunt. Furthermore, those mentioned "5 spark combos" are necessary as assassins actually hit weakly without amazing crits and debuffs. Sins generate chi faster than any other class - but they use it up just as quickly. I don't see wizard's expending 5 sparks to kill someone - because they can just do it with two.
    The only advantage sins really have is that their sparks cost "half as much" - considering their chi generation is twice as fast.
    That being said, assassins lose that without tidal. They get CCed to hell the moment tidal is off and often use genie to compensate if they don't holy path off the map.

Smack lasts 3 seconds, Throatcut lasts 4. It also does much higher average damage and will crit more often due to being the skill of an Assassin, as well as having a shorter cooldown. Throatcut is a far superior skill and it makes sense that it has a longer cooldown. Headhunt, though having a longer cooldown, has much higher average damage than Drake's Bash and has a chance to consume only one spark (since we're talking about Sage). In order for a BM to have the same chance on Drake's Bash they would need to be Sage, reducing the stun time to a mere 6 seconds which is only 1 second longer.

Now, let's remember Assassins have the ability to lock outside of Headhunt via Throatcut+Tackling Slash, and can sleep targets for a few seconds preventing either side from making a damaging move but giving the Assassin a chance to get a charm tick, let skills cooldown, or otherwise prepare for their next combo. This all on a class with skills that will effectively recover the chi they use on those combos and having skills that double as both crowd control and spike damaging skills.

The combination of high crit rate, CC skills that double as spike skills, and extremely good chi recovery allow a Sin to perform effective stunlocks even with a much higher chi cost than a BM. They require less chi management and have a stronger offense along with having a buff that allows them to seriously abuse it. I'm not saying the buff should be completely removed, but people should have a fair chance at getting through it.
    Okay, you serious? Ask a Sin to permanently stunlock the way a BM can, and deal damage while doing it.
    Find which class is going to deal the most damage and lock the longest time. I'll bet it will be the BM.

Sins only lock for short periods of time in order to pull off those multispark combos, where they can have a both stunned and debuffed opponent at the same time, which is the only way sins ever kill anyone.

In order to stunlock in such a way the BM sacrifices any reliable way of actually killing the target (Glacial Spike/HF combos and BT), yes they can keep you locked down but actually killing you outside of breaking the RNG that determines our hits? Well. I don't know, I guess miracles can happen. In that short period you're able to force the opponent's genie/apo and put them on the defensive, which is the most important aspect in a fight. Forcing your opponent's resources.

A Blademaster can do the same thing of course, stunning and working an HF combo into it, however unless timed properly it will backfire and result in the opponent using genie to escape and leave the BM with low chi, making it useless until it either wastes apo/genie on chi or is able to recover it passively through the fight via skills or using an APS set. This severely hinders the class, especially since once those resources are used they can no longer be used as a defense against the Assassin in question. It leaves them open. Of course, an Assassin does not have to waste any of the above on chi and is able to throw out combo after combo, regardless of the timing or amount of resources the opponent has left.
    Go 1v1 an assassin without Tidal. If assassins were balanced without Tidal, it would be a 50/50 win rate.

Equal gear, I highly doubt that would be the outcome.

..But I'd actually have to play the game.
    I've already explained that assassins are naturally deficient in defenses. Is a game where you can kill with ease every single sin the kind of game you really enjoy?
    Well actually. Hmm.

No, but I'd like a fair shot at it. That or somehow get PWE to change from debuff and crit dependent to a different type of PvP in order to win. I actually sort of like that about the game I play now, the PvP metagame isn't static. It constantly evolves.

Basically, for balance at around 1v1 purposes, you'd expect an assassin to win slightly more than 50% of the time with an equally geared and skilled opponent. Since this is basically what today's 1v1s look like - an even score leaning more towards the sin - I'd say assassins of today are balanced.

Nerfing tidal basically says: Assassins are only balanced without tidal. So, I'd expect assassins to win slightly more than 50% of the time with an equally geared and skilled opponent... without tidal.

As good as I am, I can't pull that off.

Let me remind everyone reading that this is NOT a thread on how sins are better at somethings and not so good on others.

It is a thread to prove that the arguments for nerfing Sage Tidal Protection are clearly invalid.

Noob.
  • DionDagger - Dreamweaver
    DionDagger - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,140 Arc User
    edited September 2013

Noob.

And even after all that the BM still has about 3x the Pdef and 2x the HP. Stop ignoring the fact sins have low natural defences and BM's have several survival skills.
  • Zanryu - Dreamweaver
    edited September 2013
    And even after all that the BM still has about 3x the Pdef and 2x the HP. Stop ignoring the fact sins have low natural defences and BM's have several survival skills.

u wot m8

BM

Sin

(Edited the chestplates to include the refinement bonus from the NW'd R9 rings, was too lazy to NW the cube necks or tomes)

The BM has 1/4th more HP than the Assassin, granted I didn't include the stats from the gear because I'm lazy, the amount of HP a BM has over a sin is not even close to half. Also, since you mentioned Pdef, that stat suffers from diminishing returns. Though the BM has roughly 3x the Pdef, it only has 16% higher defense (or 18% should the BM be Demon and use Bell, or either cultivation and use Physical Marrow).

They also have much a larger amount of attack levels and the the best defensive buff in the game in the form of Tidal Protection.

Try again please.
  • tsyfall
    edited September 2013
    Try again please.

TRIED

BM: 88% Reduction. 10k damage = 1.2k damage taken.
    Sin: 72% Reduction. 28k damage = 2.8k damage taken.
    That's more than double the damage taken.

But yeah, Sage Tidal is necessary to tank double the damage.
  • Zanryu - Dreamweaver
    edited September 2013
    TRIED

BM: 88% Reduction. 10k damage = 1.2k damage taken.
    Sin: 72% Reduction. 28k damage = 2.8k damage taken.
    That's more than double the damage taken.

But yeah, Sage Tidal is necessary to tank double the damage.

Not with the degree of power it has, considering the sin's got many ways of CCing the opponent. It doesn't matter how much damage you do if you can't actually hit your target.
  • Aeliah - Dreamweaver
    Aeliah - Dreamweaver Posts: 784 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Not with the degree of power it has, considering the sin's got many ways of CCing the opponent. It doesn't matter how much damage you do if you can't actually hit your target.

Hmm assassins do have less defense, thats a fact, and in group pvp they will suffer since they'll die to raw damage. In 1vs1 they do have the ability to conserve genie a lot more and have a lot of control skills, so they will do well. This is probably how things were intended to be, if we are presumptious enough to pick apart the brains of the devs. If an assassin can avoid debuffs in the first place (a trait that other classes now share in a more limited way, I might add: sage seeker, demon mystic, blademasters during leap forward (6s cd)), then arcanes can randomly purify debuffs. The heavy armors with their great hp and defense, the light armor archers with their range, ports, stealth, wings of grace, etc.

As a cleric fighting a sage assassin I use my lowest cost debuffs and keep using them until they work (elemental and physical defense), and stack healing debuff, if I can whittle hp near half then I go for pure damage and try to force genie uses before tidal is off cooldown. I'll say it is definitely difficult though. I cannot kill stuff without debuffs. Some debuffs are no-chi (mark of weakness), some chi (magical shackles, 50), or heavy chi (seal of gods, 1 spark). Barbs and seekers and bms might be able to with zerk crits, but even then I'd be inclined to say that they'd still need tangling mire at the very least in most cases. Course they can purge a lot easier than a sage assassin, keep that in mind. In a group a r9rr +12 deity assassin worries me less than any random barb with a spiritblackhole pole.

Tidal is annoying yeah but they will get one shot a lot, or at least charm bypassed, if they go into melee range all the time with a weak or nonexistant tidal. BTW, lest we forget, demon tidal is pretty powerful too, I do see the odd '1' dmg from it, which I have on video as having saved my life before. You can always guarantee that at least on a sage sin your dmg will hit, barring the usual things anybody can do like genie, apoth or triple spark.
    YOUTUBE CHANNEL:
    youtube.com/user/csquaredcsquared

CLERIC PV GUIDE (complete):
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1531411

CLERIC PK GUIDE (Incomplete):
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=18027931
  • Bashmaster - Raging Tide
    Bashmaster - Raging Tide Posts: 353 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I hav elittle issue with tidal, whether it be sage or demon. I stun through it like 95% of the time. Or at least get a seal or disarm through it
  • Riverwell - Archosaur
    Riverwell - Archosaur Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Right now, I don't have an opinion one way or another, and I tried reading the exact description on ecatomb, but I think it's wrong.

However, I just want to point out, that the chance to stun (or whatever) through tidal isn't 33% if the attack doesn't have a 100% chance of the effect.
    So if whatever you're trying to stun / freeze / etc. with only procs 33% of the time on it's own, then adding that to tidal diminishes that chance further.

Again, I wan't to say that I don't have much of an opinion on / experience with the subject, but that wasn't accounted for in the original post when you were talking about the ability to break through tidal.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    -
    Previous Enemy Executor
    Current SentineI Member
    -
    "I'm sorry, but if you cant aggro control, then you better have the gear/charm to back yourself up. And falling short of that, you simply deserve to die. It's PWI darwinism tbh." - DaKillanator - Raging Tide
  • Angel_Spawn - Sanctuary
    Angel_Spawn - Sanctuary Posts: 3,034 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Pff, tidal fails way too much to be considered a real threat, It maybe saves me from bleed VS the puppet boss 2 out of 10 times, and that goes for any other debuff any1 throws at you, heck I have had more luck with demon Focused Mind which ads a small pct of tidal to save me.
  • lordhanzo
    lordhanzo Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    seeing how evasion is useless in this game, I dont see the problem with Tidal.

sin should be the character that dodge a lot, no? but if get hit, they get hit hard.
    (dont start with heavy CSers / heavy farmer)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I'm on Heavens Tear!
  • RankNine - Momaganon
    RankNine - Momaganon Posts: 1,241 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    lordhanzo wrote: »
    seeing how evasion is useless in this game, I dont see the problem with Tidal. read the skill dscription again...

sin should be the character that dodge a lot, no? but if get hit, they get hit hard.
    (dont start with heavy CSers / heavy farmer)

sorry, but its the end of 2013 and we dont talk about pvp in nirvana gear anymore.
    and the sins i fight dont get hit hard anymore when all their nw items are +12.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    noob, can only run, spawnkiller, only white vodoo, only plays for kd,
    never kills anyone, only gear, no skill, no life, cash only, eats dogfood to cash more, lives at moms,
    only survives cause of cleric heals, if we had your gear you would lose. b:cryb:cryb:cry
  • Raphxelion - Raging Tide
    Raphxelion - Raging Tide Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Tactic to defeating ALL Assasins in 1vs1:
    : RUN KITE UNTILL TIDAL PROTECTION WEARS OUT :D LOL

Its cheap but it works!!!
  • juicybluca
    juicybluca Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    wait i read somewhere sutra spark combo on a tidaled sin

seriously? b:laugh

nw josd r9r3+12 wizard hits 3-4k on a equal geared sin since he cant even undine him, the sin hits him back 5 digits. and wizards are the strongest of arcane classes. nuff said.

you know what? i should remake my nerf tidal thread into rework broken sage sin class

faks sake sins has 3x stealth, chi gain skills, antistuns, huge damage amps, gap closers, immunity to death, all sort of CCs of different type also A CHI GAIN CC that is completely ****, 60+% crit and gof, purge and sage tidhack... did i forget anything?
  • Zsw - Dreamweaver
    edited September 2013
    juicybluca wrote: »
    wait i read somewhere sutra spark combo on a tidaled sin

seriously? b:laugh

nw josd r9r3+12 wizard hits 3-4k on a equal geared sin since he cant even undine him, the sin hits him back 5 digits. and wizards are the strongest of arcane classes. nuff said.

you know what? i should remake my nerf tidal thread into rework broken sage sin class

faks sake sins has 3x stealth, chi gain skills, antistuns, huge damage amps, gap closers, immunity to death, all sort of CCs of different type also A CHI GAIN CC that is completely ****, 60+% crit and gof, purge and sage tidhack... did i forget anything?

Yes, you forgot that for faks sake wizs has 3x ulti skill, 3x nuking skill with 0 chi, seals which cannot be resisted by anti stuns, huge damage amp with spammable undine strike, distance shink which can either close gap OR increase gap, immunity to aps, all sorts of damage and a FIRE DEFENSE DEBUFF that is completely ****, 20% crit as arcane class and purify, instant channel and stonebarrierhack for 20k pdef...

r9r3 +12 sin hit 1-2k on equal gear wizard since their defense is so high, the wizard hit him back and 1 shot, and sin are the strongest 1v1 class? nuff said.
    Zsw -104 Sage Assassin

• juicybluca
    juicybluca Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Yes, you forgot that for faks sake wizs has 3x ulti skill, 3x nuking skill with 0 chi, seals which cannot be resisted by anti stuns, huge damage amp with spammable undine strike, distance shink which can either close gap OR increase gap, immunity to aps, all sorts of damage and a FIRE DEFENSE DEBUFF that is completely ****, 20% crit as arcane class and purify, instant channel and stonebarrierhack for 20k pdef...

r9r3 +12 sin hit 1-2k on equal gear wizard since their defense is so high, the wizard hit him back and 1 shot, and sin are the strongest 1v1 class? nuff said.

which kind of blured pvp experience you have?

amps\undine\spark doesnt work on tidal,
    aps? rofl!,
    fire defense buff? wait... fire defense buff? you serious?
    purify in 1on1 just does not trigger?
    20k phys res that go down to 13kish with just a tangling mires? thing that does not work on sin cause wait: sage tidal?
    leap is good tho if the sin is a decent skilled one u'll get freeze and leap stuck in the air, or he will just tele\telestun on you...
    nuking skills that take 4 seconds to cast and are always halved by magical charms? or in the time u channell a nuke u've been cced 3 times?

also r u really comparing 20% crit on no chance to debuff\amp, with 60+% crit+zerk full amps and debuffs?

blured, yes. b:bye
  • Zsw - Dreamweaver
    edited September 2013

aps? rofl!,
    20k phys res that go down to 13kish with just a tangling mires? thing that does not work on sin cause wait: sage tidal?
    leap is good tho if the sin is a decent skilled one u'll get freeze and leap stuck in the air, or he will just tele\telestun on you...
    nuking skills that take 4 seconds to cast and are always halved by magical charms? or in the time u channell a nuke u've been cced 3 times?

also r u really comparing 20% crit on no chance to debuff\amp, with 60+% crit+zerk full amps and debuffs?

amps/undine/spark does work on tidal. lol
    APS was hardly something to laugh at before all these new expansion and gears came along.
    Spark? Yes I'm serious, spark is a fire defense debuff.
    Purify in 1v1 does trigger?
    20k physical resit only goes down to 18k with tangling mire? Why are you using tangling mire on a sin as a magic class?
    Yes, but that depends on the terrain. Won't get stuck as often on flat grounds. Even if a sin tele, they still lost a few seconds of damage.
    nuking skills only take 2.5 seconds actually? Sandstorm/Divine Pyro/Glacial Snare. or Nukes can be casted without channeling?

also, wizard non crit damage = sin's crit damage, so 20% is alot. Once again, wizards can debuff as well.
    Zsw -104 Sage Assassin

• DionDagger - Dreamweaver
    DionDagger - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,140 Arc User
    edited September 2013

aps? rofl!,

BTWWHY THE HELL would a full r9.3+12 sage sin have mire on their genie? Explain that one to me.
  • tsyfall
    edited September 2013
    Tangling mire + EP + double spark hits a lot harder than EP + double spark only
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    Quilue - Sanctuary Posts: 5,787 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    What the hell is wrong with you people...complaining about which class sucks worse between two perfectly good PvP classes, giving excuses left and right, and ignoring the elephant in the room.

Think hard about which class is really the worst in endgame PvP. lols...
    Elena Costel: I wash my hands of this affair.
    Legerity: *drags you back* *stains your hands with said affair*
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
    Qui: b:dirty