Thicket for Brillance

CapnK - Sanctuary
CapnK - Sanctuary Posts: 1,166 Arc User
edited September 2013 in Mystic
I still laugh when someone says, "No AOE!" after I use thicket on a boss. Its a perfectly legitmate move, but all anyone knows is no AoE on a boss. "Oh you are fail you did that. Everyone knows not to use an AoE on a boss. Grrr!"

Any Mystic knows they are fail if they can use thicket on the boss, and dont. The only reason they couldnt use it is when the bosses hit-box is larger than the range of the thicket.
On the Thicket - I am not assuming. I know the spell very well. Did you not read the part where I said it can be used on any boss (not sure about Puppet, or whatever new boss that is that gets all bent if anyone AoEs but otherwise...)?

It is such a short range AoE that it will not pull any mobs that arent already right there anyway. Itshaxors. It will not work on physically large bosses, like that big one in Brim. That is because the bosses hit-box totally overshadows its range. That's how small its range is.
Its some of the best DD you have as a Mystic - Demon Mystics preferring it to Craggy for some reason beyond my comprehension. Who knows? Maybe just Mystic trolls claiming to be Demon, huh? Name another spell that is better. You didnt cause you cant. Triple spark in and of itself is just a pretty light, lol.

Its a DoT, slow burn that isnt slow at all, and you can still use your other spells along with it. I can triple spark and in a few seconds have enough sparks to use Thicket too. Yes, my Nab Sage Mystic has got it like that. b:cute

Whats so great about it? Its the only AoE spell we have that doesnt seal. We need a good strong AoE that neither freezes nor seals. Perhaps a new high level spell so we can handle the probable aggro from it.

First of all, Thicket is not a good source of damage. It's not. Yes the spell description sounds like it does a lot of damage, but it doesn't. It's divided up into multiple hits and each hit gets reduced by the enemy defenses so it doesn't end up being much at all.

Thicket is a control skill. It has a high chance to seal and freeze the enemy (and curse if you're demon). I don't know why you say Thicket doesn't seal since that's pretty much its reason to exist. Bosses can't be sealed but that doesn't mean you should be using it on bosses.

Name another spell that's better? Nature's Vengeance. On bosses you should be triple sparking and then spamming Nature's Vengeance until you can triple spark again. Yes it's boring and repetitive but it's the most effective damage you can do on a boss. Triple sparking and then using Thicket is pointless - Thicket is a plant and not affected by Triple Spark anyway.

There might be some situations where a demon mystic could Thicket a boss for the 25% curse damage. But a mystic who has acquired level 11 Thicket is usually tanking anyway and will be better served by just spamming NV to retain agro.
Post edited by CapnK - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Xainou - Sanctuary
    Xainou - Sanctuary Posts: 5,369 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Lol thicket and it's tiny range.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Licensed tail brusher of ƙɑƙʊɱɑʊ ~ only the fluffiest
    Outrunning centaurs since 2012~
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    Desdi - Sanctuary Posts: 8,680 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I feel sorry for this subforum D:
    [SIGPIC]http://i.imgur.com/MtwcqjL.png[/SIGPIC]
    ★ Venomancer videos - tinyurl.com/k6ppkw4 ★ Desdi - Demon ♪ Wyvelin - Sage ★
  • Zoldi - Morai
    Zoldi - Morai Posts: 1,595 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    On a boss I personally prefer saving sparks for triple spark as well.
    After that I generally try to use Lucky Break (if cooldown and chi are ok), then just spam Nature's Vengeance and some Swirling Mist.
    Just before the triple spark effect is done I always try to cast a last Swirling mist (after rapid growth when I can) because the DOT will continue benefiting from the attack bonuses.
    I change a little bit depending on the boss and if I'm solo or not but this is basically what I find the most efficient for any boss.
    ~ Sage Mystic 105-105-105 ~
    ~ Sage Sin 103-103-102 ~
    ~ Sage vita Barb 103-102-101 ~
    ~ Sage BM 102-101 ~ Demon Archer 102 ~
    ~ Sage Cleric 102 ~ Demon Wizard 101 ~
    ~ Sage Seeker 101 ~ Sage Psy 101 ~
    ~ Sage Heavy Veno 101 ~ Demon Storm 9X ~ Dusk 6x ~
    Started playing this game in 2007 on Oracle (PW-MY) : Demon MG 101 - Sage EP 99 - WF 89
  • Nowitsawn - Heavens Tear
    Nowitsawn - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,864 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I feel sorry for myself for remembering all this despite quitting almost a year ago.
    It's divided up into multiple hits and each hit gets reduced by the enemy defenses so it doesn't end up being much at all.

(1+1+1+1+1) * 0.5 = 2.5

5 * 0.5 = 2.5

See what I'm getting at?

You're still right, however. Thicket deals 12x weapon damage (character level + average weapon range + shards + rings), which would be about 3200 with a +12 r9 weapon.

(3200 * 12) + 6500 = 44900

Now let's take the average (unbuffed) attack range for that +12 weapon (does 23000~26000 sound about right?) and do that for Nature's Vengeance:

24500 + 3200 + 723 = 28423 BUT, with a 50% shorter channel and 33% shorter cast + no chi cost + benefits from cleric's M.Attk buffs (since this does not affect weapon damage) + benefits from sparks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Brillance - Raging Tide
    Brillance - Raging Tide Posts: 1,643 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Lol thicket and it's tiny range.

So um...no dislike of players who spam NV? Just curious...

Ikr? At this point they should just name it after me. xD
    edited September 2013
    I feel sorry for myself for remembering all this despite quitting almost a year ago.

(1+1+1+1+1) * 0.5 = 2.5

5 * 0.5 = 2.5

See what I'm getting at?

You're still right, however. Thicket deals 12x weapon damage (character level + average weapon range + shards + rings), which would be about 3200 with a +12 r9 weapon.

(3200 * 12) + 6500 = 44900

Now let's take the average (unbuffed) attack range for that +12 weapon (does 23000~26000 sound about right?) and do that for Nature's Vengeance:

24500 + 3200 + 723 = 28423 BUT, with a 50% shorter channel and 33% shorter cast + no chi cost + benefits from cleric's M.Attk buffs (since this does not affect weapon damage) + benefits from sparks.

Channeling time of Thicket is not long. My chan is at like 37 - 39% with out Rapid Growth. With Rapid Growth, even AS is a matter of a few secs to cast. I will give you that spamming NV would be faster in and of itself, but I see nothing wrong with casting Thicket and SM, NV to follow it up. If Im lucky, and proc another Rapid Growth, throw in an AS too.

Chi is not an issue for me, on lower levels yes. Once you get into managing Chi on your char, its really not a problem for any Sage Mystic with pots and Cloud Eruption.

I get a ton of chi from just DDing, but if I need it from scratch, I can have 3 sparks in a matter of seconds.

And, thanks for all that Math. I am in awe of people who can get the numbers from games like that. <3
  • Alexis - Lothranis
    Alexis - Lothranis Posts: 264 Arc User
    edited September 2013

I know the feeling.

Not that seeing a new thread after like a week isn't nice but wasn't there already a thread about thicket where I explained what's wrong with its damage just a few threads down?

It may look boring or what have you but the fact is triple-spark + NV (+keeping SM on) is most effective combo single-target-DPS wise. Anyone can do the math if they want to convince themselves. And thicket would consume the sparks needed to get that tripe spark faster.

Each person's choice if they want to be effective or flashy, but that still remains as fact.
    Youtube channel: youtube.com/user/FDB19
    edited September 2013
    I know the feeling.

Not that seeing a new thread after like a week isn't nice but wasn't there already a thread about thicket where I explained what's wrong with its damage just a few threads down?

It may look boring or what have you but the fact is triple-spark + NV (+keeping SM on) is most effective combo single-target-DPS wise. Anyone can do the math if they want to convince themselves. And thicket would consume the sparks needed to get that tripe spark faster.

Each person's choice if they want to be effective or flashy, but that still remains as fact.

No anyone cant. How many times does someone have to say they stink at Math, before it sinks in? *rolls eyes and giggles*

How is it possibly the end of the world to throw a Thicket before that? Oh right, Im wasting Chi. I dont have any issues with Chi, but Im still bad for wasting it. Okies, w/e. *shrugs*
    edited September 2013
    Why the **** would I make a post explaining stuff in detail if you're just going to disregard it as usual and talk out of your *** again? Yea.

Okies, didnt get any last night I see. So very frustrated you are. I can tell.

Thanks for admitting you cant address the question. b:chuckle

Easy to see you dont want to discuss it. xD
  • Alexis - Lothranis
    Alexis - Lothranis Posts: 264 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    No anyone cant. How many times does someone have to say they stink at Math, before it sinks in? *rolls eyes and giggles*

How is it possibly the end of the world to throw a Thicket before that? Oh right, Im wasting Chi. I dont have any issues with Chi, but Im still bad for wasting it. Okies, w/e. *shrugs*

Not about having chi issues. It's about keeping the triple-spark attack buff up for as long as you can. A mystic can't keep it up for ever, like for example a 5 aps can, so trying to activate it as soon as you can increases your DPS.

For example even if you used a 2-spark chi pot. You have all the chi in the world with that. So you could say you could Thicket then activate the chi pot and triple-spark nv.
    But instead of that you could triple spark then use the chi pot (+2 sparks) and gain another +1 spark by NV and then once triple spark buff wore off you can triple spark again immediately and that doubles the time for that 700% extra attack which is more then that Thicket at start can do.

Like I said it's all about efficiency.
    Youtube channel: youtube.com/user/FDB19
    edited September 2013
    Sorry about that Alexis. I posted something before, but I see it didnt take. Oh well...

tl;dr Cant believe everything you read on a forum, lol. Especially not the Mystic forum, cause people like Mystics - like to play with them anyway. *shrugs* b:chuckle

Thanks though, you have given me a new angle to approach farming with - and new angles are always fun to explore. I never thought about trying to work the sparks before. Should be fun! b:thanks
  • ovenusarmanio
    ovenusarmanio Posts: 6,695 Community Moderator
    edited September 2013
    If you have a message to a specific user, please send it through the pm. Thanks.

kritty%20sig_zpsp0y7ttsb.png
    Thanks to MikoTenshi for the Avi and Kritty for the Signature.
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
This discussion has been closed.