Returning after 5 years and need class advice

sdkoster
sdkoster Posts: 0 Arc User
edited August 2013 in General Discussion
As the title says, I've been out of it since late 2008. I made the switch from MY-EN to PWI with my clan and made it to 64 on my BM, but now I can't remember my old email and password so I can't recover my old account.

Now there a some new classes that I've read about but since I've never played them I'm clueless as to how good they are. I'm trying to figure out what's best for my play style. And I should mention that upon creating my new account, I received an email with a dream chaser code, and ive researched exactly what it gives so I know the first 40 lvls will be a breeze with the good low lvl gear I'll get. I'll tell you what I'm looking to do and if anyone can give some insight on a good class it would be greatly appreciated.

I want a good DD class that can put out some good DMG while still being able to solo grind/quest and survive. I usually tend to shy away from mage-type classes, and usually opt for a good physical atk character, either ranged or melee.

Like I said, I've played a BM before, and I have already lvld a sin to 30 but wasn't as much fun as I hoped. I'm almost leaning toward BM again, or even archer, but I've read about seekers and it sounds interesting.

Sorry for the long read. I may be over thinking the whole thing, but I don't want to waste a dream chaser on a character I won't like. So in short, from peoples experience, what's a fun physical based character to play?
Post edited by sdkoster on

Comments

• Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    Mayfly - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,094 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    If you send in a ticket the support staff may be able to help recover your old account. Be prepared to provide a lot of personal information.

That said, seekers tend to be very hard to kill due to their high defense levels, and deal out a lot of damage, especially in AOE situations.

Also, assassins are, at high level and with very good gear, the premier solo farmer. The first 30 levels are not representative of their abilities. They struggle until about 59 (when they get double spark) and don't really shine until after 89 (with triple spark) or 99 (when much of the interval gear becomes available.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Weekly Japanese/English bilingual webcomic
    thejapanesepage.com/ebooks/yuki_no_monogatari_manga
  • sdkoster
    edited August 2013
    I already put in a ticket a couple times, and each time its been the same response. They won't do anything unless I contact them from the registered email associated with the account. I tried telling them I would provide any personal info they needed to prove it was mine and they would say the same thing. They even told me my only option would be, without access to my old email, to make a new account and start over :(

And maybe I'll try out a seeker and then later go back to my sin once they give out more dream chaser codes. Another question. Are Venos still a really good solo class? When I used to play, it seemed like they were always the ones doing solo runs for mats for lvl 60 gear (can't remember if that's TT gear or not). I don't necessarily want to take the easy route, which then a Veno was, but just wondering if they are still as good after the new classes came out.
  • SpazziKitten - Heavens Tear
    SpazziKitten - Heavens Tear Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    When you make your new account you will get a dreamchaser code in your e-mail.

I play on a lot of different classes, and I can say that a BM is still as sexy as ever. They have always been and always will be one of the best solo grind/farmers in game.

Seekers are runner up in the HA. They can't put out as much damage as far as APS is concerned, but they can easily out DD with Vortex. So if you like the idea of being locked in a single skill for most of your killer moves, go for Seeker. It's like a lazy version of BM, or perhaps an HA archer with more magic attacks.

Veno's can't solo half as well anymore. Their pets are still great, and now even upgrade-able, but they are not the solo farmers of end game gear as they were in 08-09.

Mystics, psychics and wizzies are all very sexy, but as you're veering away from the AA, I would still recommend a BM. Useful as hell, desired in every instance. Go with a seeker, however, if you want to try something new.

I do not recommend sins to new players. Sins are costly to gear and pretty useless at lower levels except for BP. They can't solo farm until decently well equipped. Sins are an investment.
  • sdkoster
    edited August 2013
    ty for the replies. Ill have to think about it. Ive been watching alot of videos today on different classes and im torn now. Ive seen vids for solo fc runs with seeker, bm and archers and they all looked really good. And ive been watching some guys archer vids in pve and pvp and it was crazy how many people he would kill in TW with a majority being a 1-h or 2-h kill. I do remember archers being kind of a pain until lvl 20 or so from my past experiences, but never got about lvl 25ish. Now its down to BM, seeker or archer.

And i have dabbled with magic classes before and the wiz was kinda fun to play, but like i said before, for some reason I always end up going with a warrior or archer type character. I guess its fun to experiment in other stuff, but sometimes I have to stick to what i know best. Anywho, ty again for the info, though im having a harder time trying to decide now than before i made this post
  • WannaBM - Archosaur
    WannaBM - Archosaur Posts: 1,984 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    You might want to consider your end game future most of all:

The seeker is one of the most OP chars in game for PvP if you ever get top equipment. PvE it is magnificent in squad and to solo lower level stuff like TM69 and TM79. But not so much to solo farm. Will take years to get to that level though for everyone but the most special players (active farmer + merchant)

BM, Sin and Barb can each be good solo PvE when you get the required APS equipment. This is medium expensive equipment. When starting out it is reasonable to expect this within a year if you are an active player with some brains.

When you cannot affort APS equipment the sin lost most of his functionality, the BM lost half of its functionallity and the barb can be a fully functional char in cheap equipment but then it is not to be considered a DD. So ye a DD costs money either way. As said though, it is an amount of coin that is a realistic goal for many.

In eind game PvP, the BM is considered to be one of the most disadvantaged classes. The barb can be pretty OP although IMO that very much depends on getting those expensive or lots of work to get lvl 100 skills. The sin is very good at 1v1 PKing but often one of the first to die on mass battle fields like TW and NW.

For the questing your way to level 100:
    The Barb is most wanted in squads, but it is very slow to solo.
    The sin is fastest to solo, but maybe a bit one-dimensional as you noticed.
    The BM i think is a very interesting to play as it has a nice combination of tankiness, single target DDing and aoe DDing.
    The seeker is a good DD and tanky, it kills and levels fast. It is actually kind of the perfect combination. Ranged skills both physical and magical, like the glass cannons archers or casters, but with HA like a barb. But to me it was also a bit boring. Too simple to play. After lvl 75 this gets worse as you get a skill that allows you to do great AOE damage continuously but being unable to move while using it. So most seekers in PvE just start this skill, eat mana pots till everything is dead and then move to the next spot where they are expected to start this skill.
    Everything i write is from PvE perspective unless mentioned otherwise.
  • sdkoster
    edited August 2013
    Thats alot of good info. But I noticed you never said anything about archers. Are archers good endgame, both solo and pvp? ive seen some vids of archer TW and they did really well, but the only solo stuff ive seen were lvl 100+ soloing dungeons 30 lvls lower than them. Do they lvl fast as well once they get better skills?
  • WannaBM - Archosaur
    edited August 2013
    Archers are pretty good at PvP. I think if you make a poll and ask whats the best PvP class, they may come out third after the seeker and psy. (all considering the real end game equipment)

Archers are not very wanted in squads. (not specifically disliked either, but you simply got no key features for squad play like the barb, cleric, seeker, BM, sin)

Archers are absolute **** at soloing end game stuff (TT, card bosses etc) except that you can put APS on them as well. I dont know if they are very good at it though and if they are more or less costly to make APS than a barb/sin/bm

Archers are an interesting, but probably not one of the easier classes to quest your way to level 100.

About the leveling from 1 to 100 btw; most players nowadays use higher level characters to help level the new ones. They get to level 70 in 2 hours and to level 100 in 1 to 3 weeks after that.
    I do not advise you to do this since playing the game at lower levels is fun if you didnt do it (multiple times) recently. Just so you know that the option will be there and that because of so many people doing it, it will be a bit lonely at the lower levels which in turn might compel you to do it as well. If you think you are the type that will succumb to such temptaion, you dont need to consider what it is like to play the lower levels :)
  • sdkoster
    edited August 2013
    Ty again. Ill have to decide soon seeing as how im home now and about to start the game up and make my new character. I really like the dmg of an archer, but i like the idea of AoE grinding if i want with either a bm or seeker. Ill just have to find a guild that will help with dungeon runs if i go archer. Anyway, ty again. If you know of anyone willing to take on low lvl character into their guild let me know. Since ive been out of it for 5 years all my old friends in game have moved on and i havent been able to get into contact with them.

To add:
    I just noticed you added more to your last post after i replied. Yeah, ive been out of it too long to want to power lvl myself. Part of learning your character and getting good comes from the hours/days/weeks it takes to lvl up. I just really wish i could gain access to my 64 bm again. Not just to use him, but at the time he was one of the richest guys on my server at a little over 2m (doesnt seem like alot now, but at the time no one really had alot of money that early in the game and the highest lvl was only around 70) and had alot of mats from doing TT runs with my veno friend.
  • WannaBM - Archosaur
    edited August 2013
    Take care in your considerations what server to choose.

Most importantly for the event times ! You dont want NW at 05:20 like me b:cry

If you happen to end up on archosaur, feel free to give me a shout if you want advise or help :)
  • sdkoster
    edited August 2013
    I may just do that. I first started my other new test sin on heavens tear cuz thats what my old clan was on, but since i no longer have friends on that server im not tied to a specific one. Im guessing your ingame character is still wannaBM?
  • WannaBM - Archosaur
    edited August 2013
    Yes it is. :)
  • sdkoster
    edited August 2013
    hmm. 124 ping for me there and east coast servers are only like 46. Will that make a big difference in the game play?
  • WannaBM - Archosaur
    edited August 2013
    I have always between 300 and 500ms because of the atlantic between me and the server.

This i assume is the reason i cannot usually use my skill alacrity of the beast to interupt a mobs casting. It also sometimes just the delay that causes you to activate your Absolute Domain (5 second god-mode skill) just a fraction to late and have it activated after you died and respawned. (while you cant cast it after you died and respawned since then you dont have the energy for it, so it must have been casted before death). I also asume that this is the reason when a mob runs away from me, i can follow it but i cant hit hit before it stops while if i run away from a mob, the mob will hit me while i am already meters away from it.

So while the game is perfectly playable for me, this amount of lag is definately noticable. The numbers you are talking about however should not realy be very noticable.

Still, i would factor it in my decision yes. Event times just seem more important to me though and server population and economy differences are also very a very interesting factor. I dont know much to say about this last factor though. Archosaur has the lowest gold price in game coins and thus it is cheapest for the farmer/merchant to buy his CS stuff, but i imagine that probably means the stuff we farm and merchant may also be worth less.
  • Ursa - Dreamweaver
    Ursa - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,634 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    sdkoster wrote: »
    hmm. 124 ping for me there and east coast servers are only like 46. Will that make a big difference in the game play?

go for the low ping servers, there are some pretty nice ones on East. NW and TW it will matter a lot

~I listen to hardcore FIGHT songs when I visit the forum, just to get into the proper mood~

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Reliea - Sanctuary
    Reliea - Sanctuary Posts: 685 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Since you seem to like the seeker or archer idea, I'd suggest you make 2 accounts, one with the seeker (or bm), and one with the archer. Make one female and one male, for easy travel :3
    Since they both use different gear sets normally, you don't need to worry about sharing gear between them too much, and if you have access to 2 computers or you are able to log both simultaneously, you can help yourself as well.
    It would also save you time on the questing front, since you could just do every quest once together instead of twice separately.
  • Elenacostel - Heavens Tear
    Elenacostel - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,822 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Multi-clienting is a nice idea, as Lady Reliea stated. One common tactic is to have a healer (Cleric or Mystic) as one of your characters. As you progress, you'll always have a healer to help you through instances, and it will increase the number of dungeons that you can "solo".
  • Ilisha - Raging Tide
    Ilisha - Raging Tide Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Even if you don't find plvl in fc, early levels are very easy now for any class with free daily charms till level 60 helping alot and dreamchaser pack providing gear. From lvl 20 (or 40?) till lvl 80 pwe also added daily quests at jolly jones giving some decent coins.
  • Ilenka - Harshlands
    Ilenka - Harshlands Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I started playing this game back on early 2009 and been on and off for a while... Tried most of classes not really focusing on single one... I started on Harshlands and have always been there (when i picked server i just liked the name).

Anyway, I am recently leveling up a psychic and a seeker together, and it has been really easy without spending any coins on them, both are 48 right now, and they both quest most of the time and do dailies. It is true that most people in Harshlands is not new... most of them at least have a 100 character, as myself, (my main is an archer so i know what you mean) so I can run most of my alts instances without much pain :P

If you end up going to East Coast servers, like Harshlands... send me a message as it will be fun to play together. I can start a new char to play with you.

b:cute