How's this game going atm?

eraldus
eraldus Posts: 336 Arc User
edited August 2013 in General Discussion
I've been retired from this game for roughly 2 years, so, how's PWI right now?

I heard and read some of the patch notes, and it seems that the game got a few revamps over the years.

Is this game still all about having APS/Rank gear?

What about the BMs? Is Axe/Fist still the only way you can play as a BM?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ICanSeekYou - Heavens Tear
    ICanSeekYou - Heavens Tear Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Well, with nirvana **** now APS isn't all it used to be. An axe or fist BM will probably be the main thing your using, the other trees only have a couple good skills in them, but to each his own.
  • Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    Mayfly - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,094 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    In PVP, rank gear still rules (and always will), and with purify proc on the latest magic rank weapons, APS is in effective against casters. APS is still preferred for much of PVE, but there's an increasing number of bosses with anti-melee buffs where skill spamming is more effective for fights that last more than a single spark cycle.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Weekly Japanese/English bilingual webcomic
    thejapanesepage.com/ebooks/yuki_no_monogatari_manga
  • Loshon - Archosaur
    Loshon - Archosaur Posts: 134 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    an all path bm has always been, is, and will always be the best way to play a bm...
  • PotatoHeadQR - Dreamweaver
    PotatoHeadQR - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,507 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    an all path bm has always been, is, and will always be the best way to play a bm...

+1. it's like saying "i'm playing healing path mystic" or "i'm playing fire path wizzie".
    you only purge once #yopo
  • thumbs
    thumbs Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    eraldus wrote: »

No, but most of what's left in the player base still play as if it is.

I sold my claws and put the coin into restat and some S3 gears. I don't regret it at all. Pole / Axe works great for me.

The biggest problem you face coming back is that a lot of the good players are gone. Much of what's left is poor teamwork and 1-1 mentalities.
  • Mr_Swiss - Heavens Tear
    Mr_Swiss - Heavens Tear Posts: 879 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    thumbs wrote: »
    No, but most of what's left in the player base still play as if it is.

I sold my claws and put the coin into restat and some S3 gears. I don't regret it at all. Pole / Axe works great for me.

The biggest problem you face coming back is that a lot of the good players are gone. Much of what's left is poor teamwork and 1-1 mentalities.

I agree, it's more about people building gear and seeing if they can solo whatever. It's about who got the better gear, which is really what it's always been like. But, overall, still fun, new things to try if you've been gone for a bit, new gear, and lots of upgrades.
    R9s3 Beast w/Demon Facepalm
  • thumbs
    edited August 2013
    I was referring more to someone starting a pull only to have half the squad sit and derp derp on 1-3 mobs, melee toons chasing ranged mobs around in delta, archers pulling mobs backwards in an instance and then leaving drops (stupid sins do this too), etc.
  • Ursa - Dreamweaver
    Ursa - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,634 Arc User
    edited August 2013

I heard and read some of the patch notes, and it seems that the game got a few revamps over the years.

aps still top the food chain, but it's a lot more leveled than 2 years ago. It's not an aps or gtfo game anymore, tho aps is still very important. People farm warsong and NW a lot and support classes have their purpose.

There's the Morai thing: new skills/quests and quite nice shard rewards and stuff.

Nation Wars: a very fun, entertaining and proftable PvP instance twice a week. You don't need to be top dog to make 5-6 million coins in those two hours while you have a dumb smile on your face 80% of the time.

axe/fist BMs I would say still the "best" combo, and unlike 2 years ago I see a lot of BMs actually using axes instead of fists/claws.
    Btw, claws are almost worthless right now. Fists are the choice.

Game is still fun to play, a lot of things to do, from farming WS to dailies or weekly quests.

~I listen to hardcore FIGHT songs when I visit the forum, just to get into the proper mood~

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • thumbs
    edited August 2013
    aps still top the food chain, but it's a lot more leveled than 2 years ago. It's not an aps or gtfo game anymore, tho aps is still very important.

How so? It doesn't take aps to fast kill BH Aba boss. Most aps toons suck in BH metal, SoT, RB, Lunar, etc. Twilight Temple is the only place I think they may have an advantage anymore. Maybe you have a different perspective. I'm just observing a lot of people asking for Assassins for things that are most often better done w/o them; so please elaborate.
  • Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    edited August 2013
    I think in many cases, people want assassins for bloodpaint.

In one case recently, the leader insisted on getting an assassin for weekly Abaddon, despite my explaining that the healing of Mask could be interrupted.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Ursa - Dreamweaver
    Ursa - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,634 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    How so? It doesn't take aps to fast kill BH Aba boss. Most aps toons suck in BH metal, SoT, RB, Lunar, etc. Twilight Temple is the only place I think they may have an advantage anymore. Maybe you have a different perspective. I'm just observing a lot of people asking for Assassins for things that are most often better done w/o them; so please elaborate.

I don't know where you came up with aps toons sucking in BH meta/sot/Lunar really, but I don't know what kind of undergeared **** aps toons you have on your server. RB is one instance where sin can be easily replaced, but you cannot generalize and say that by far the best DPS classes in the game actually suck...really...b:shocked
    It does not take aps to kill fast Abba BH boss, but go there with R8 or g16 casters with average refines and you'll see the difference. Try to pass the puppet boss with 6 to 7k HP buffed casters with r8/g16 and you'll see how that will go.
    Sure, if you have 2-3 R9rrr + 10/12 it does not matter what other classes you have in that squad because those will do the BH and the rest are just to fill up spots and buffs. 15-18k HP wizards/clerics , 20k hp archers and 30k HP BMs who needs sins for aps?

I have a +5 gear (10k HP) +10 g16 dagg 5 aps sin and with a 15/15 blessing, HF and another Sin 4/5 aps can an tank the whole WS. Do that on a full G16 wiz. Sure, it's circumstantial, if I run with a tanky BM/Sin/Archer that can pull the AoE from wiz are more beneficial, but that's in rare occasions.
    I think in many cases, people want assassins for bloodpaint.

In one case recently, the leader insisted on getting an assassin for weekly Abaddon, despite my explaining that the healing of Mask could be interrupted.
    well, 90% of the players now have no idea about other classes skills except their own and a few flashy/very visible/damaging ones from the rest of the repertoire. Coodowns? that's a friggin mistery. Ask around how many know what Arma is based on and what's the cooldown on it. See if they can name one of their skills that have the same cooldown from the top of their head. Just ask in a non-barb squad, for fun, what Alacrity of the Beast does. And what its cooldown is.Expect even a majority of barbs to not know what the difference between sage and demon bonuses are. I can bet you right now 50% of people reading this will actually check on ecatomb or wiki.
    But that does not mean everyone is like that. Yup, the current system teaches that everyone is special. The difference is that there are special ppl and special needs ppl.

~I listen to hardcore FIGHT songs when I visit the forum, just to get into the proper mood~

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • thumbs
    edited August 2013
    I don't know where you came up with aps toons sucking in BH meta/sot/Lunar really, but I don't know what kind of undergeared **** aps toons you have on your server. RB is one instance where sin can be easily replaced, but you cannot generalize and say that by far the best DPS classes in the game actually suck...really...b:shocked

I requested elaboration not shock response and baseless praising.
    It does not take aps to kill fast Abba BH boss, but go there with R8 or g16 casters with average refines and you'll see the difference.

What I see is poorly timed melee because they have to rush up to the boss to start hitting it. That could be avoided by a ranged dd pulling so all can erupt together at same spot and be ready to attack when boss gets to them, but that's too complicated for derp apsers and derp barbs that like to interrupt the pull.
    Try to pass the puppet boss with 6 to 7k HP buffed casters with r8/g16 and you'll see how that will go.

I play 4 casters, 3 of which can tank that boss. My ~10k hp assassins are lucky if they can tank the spawns. The boss has an anti-melee buff like BH SoT boss. Generally on HT; casters have about the same HP as Assassins so I don't get your point.
    Sure, if you have 2-3 R9rrr + 10/12 it does not matter what other classes you have in that squad because those will do the BH and the rest are just to fill up spots and buffs. 15-18k HP wizards/clerics , 20k hp archers and 30k HP BMs who needs sins for aps?

BH SoT, and Aba bosses are tank-able with 13k hp, no rank required. Leaf Rain Dryad, and BH SoT are soloable with a 13k hp mystic -no rank/ no pots. Most aps toons are using inferior lvl 99/ rank 8 gears for the aps. They're incapable of range tanking and poor at tanking melee range.
    I have a +5 gear (10k HP) +10 g16 dagg 5 aps sin and with a 15/15 blessing, HF and another Sin 4/5 aps can an tank the whole WS. Do that on a full G16 wiz. Sure, it's circumstantial, if I run with a tanky BM/Sin/Archer that can pull the AoE from wiz are more beneficial, but that's in rare occasions.

Why wiz? -They're the worst pve class in the game. Also; most assassins aren't 10k hp, and how do you get 10k HP from +5 gear? - vit?
    well, 90% of the players now have no idea about other classes skills except their own and a few flashy/very visible/damaging ones from the rest of the repertoire.

They don't even know their own skills. I rarely see an assassin subsea or powerdash, a barb devour, a cleric that IH's, etc.

Apsers waste our time chasing ranged mobs around in RB, 1-1'ing when everyone else is AoE'ing, and dying or holding back because they can't tank **** in their R8/99 gears.

Have someone show you how smooth and fast a lunar run with an all ranged squad can be, a metal run w/ all mag squad, etc. I swear some people just would never consider it so they never see how good it can be.
    edited August 2013
    What I see is poorly timed melee because they have to rush up to the boss to start hitting it. That could be avoided by a ranged dd pulling so all can erupt together at same spot and be ready to attack when boss gets to them, but that's too complicated for derp apsers and derp barbs that like to interrupt the pull.

so you have a caster pull the boss and waste time till boss comes to squad. yeah, sounds way better than simply walking to the boss

I play 4 casters, 3 of which can tank that boss. My ~10k hp assassins are lucky if they can tank the spawns.

then you suck at playing sin.

BH SoT, and Aba bosses are tank-able with 13k hp, no rank required.

it's not about what's required, it's about what's faster.

Leaf Rain Dryad, and BH SoT are soloable with a 13k hp mystic -no rank/ no pots.

SoT is soloable with lvl90 sin no rank no pots

Most aps toons are using inferior lvl 99/ rank 8 gears for the aps.

because then the dps is better

They're incapable of range tanking and poor at tanking melee range.

(a) why would you want them to range tank (b) in your perfect world perhaps

Why wiz? -They're the worst pve class in the game. Also; most assassins aren't 10k hp, and how do you get 10k HP from +5 gear? - vit?

why not

They don't even know their own skills. I rarely see an assassin subsea or powerdash, a barb devour, a cleric that IH's, etc.

Apsers waste our time chasing ranged mobs around in RB, 1-1'ing when everyone else is AoE'ing, and dying or holding back because they can't tank **** in their R8/99 gears.

Have someone show you how smooth and fast a lunar run with an all ranged squad can be, a metal run w/ all mag squad, etc. I swear some people just would never consider it so they never see how good it can be.

yeah, lunar range tanking is sooo fast yay, feels like 2009. comparing a nice played caster with a noob sin is only fair in your delusional mind.

nobody gives a **** about the performance in a bunch of worthless dungeons, in case you haven't noticed that's not were the money are. cheers
  • Gwendolynne - Heavens Tear
    Gwendolynne - Heavens Tear Posts: 816 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I requested elaboration not shock response and baseless praising.

I play 4 casters, 3 of which can tank that boss. My ~10k hp assassins are lucky if they can tank the spawns. The boss has an anti-melee buff like BH SoT boss. Generally on HT; casters have about the same HP as Assassins so I don't get your point.

BH SoT, and Aba bosses are tank-able with 13k hp, no rank required. Leaf Rain Dryad, and BH SoT are soloable with a 13k hp mystic -no rank/ no pots. Most aps toons are using inferior lvl 99/ rank 8 gears for the aps. They're incapable of range tanking and poor at tanking melee range.

Just goes to show how uneducated and ignorant you are about assassins. +5 gear will get a sin 10k buffed HP. Thats with the basic TT99/R8/Nirvs2Pants combo for APS.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Character Roster:
    Gwendolynne : 101/SageVeno - Xyleena : 102/DemonCleric
    Delecroix : 101/DemonSin - Anatoxin : 9x/SagePsy
    Raevynne : 100/DemonBM - GotMeTwisted : 8x/SageSeeker
    Deicidea : 8x/Mystic - Diva : 95/SageBM/Retired
    edited August 2013
    heh, classic thumbs, spews an amount of unsupported claims then runs away when presented with arguments based on logic and math
  • seitori
    seitori Posts: 1,328 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    ((I for 1 ~ Keep a genie with loads of AOE skills on it (on hand) for my sin when I do the RB-waves to offset & compliment the miniscule amount of AOEs our sins actually have in the way of skills, aswell as using a better DPS dagger set for the waves aswell (I only switch to APS mode if theres only 1 or 2 mobs left on the field to attack....))

As for the (OPs) questions though:

~An APS character is still a great PvE & Farming toon, but its has become alot less effective then it was back when you were last on (especially do to casters Pury Proc and etc.)

~And High end & Rank Gear still rules the roost, but with the introduction of NW to the game, you can now very quickly amass enough tokens from NW to get yourself full sets of NIRVI-s1, s2 & s3 gears and weapons in a relatively short time now and at a much cheaper cost now aswell (since RAPs & CANNYs) are now under (100k & 27k each respectively to buy) instead of the mills they used to cost us, back when you were last on....

So over all, its becoming alot more of a level playing field for everyone now as time goes by, then it once was....b:thanks
  • Haila - Sanctuary
    Haila - Sanctuary Posts: 467 Arc User
    edited August 2013

An all 5.0 aps squad with a decent tank runs it even smoother and faster b:nosebleed
  • thumbs
    edited August 2013
    heh, classic thumbs, spews an amount of unsupported claims then runs away when presented with arguments based on logic and math

You mean flamboyant colored texts and improper quotes that I don't bother to read.
    edited August 2013
    You mean flamboyant colored texts and improper quotes that I don't bother to read.

probably that's how they look in your fantasy fairy world where wizzies are perfect w2 tanks (only with a r9rr+12 pure mag cleric healing them)b:cuteb:cute
  • MyMate - Dreamweaver
    MyMate - Dreamweaver Posts: 558 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Just goes to show how uneducated and ignorant you are about assassins. +5 gear will get a sin 10k buffed HP. Thats with the basic TT99/R8/Nirvs2Pants combo for APS.

+5 gear won't give you 10k hp buffed :S Not unless you stat vit or get better then average shards. This is my Sin http://pwcalc.com/3dba81df57fe309f , with sage buff it ALMOST hit 10k hp, and my gear is +6 with helm +10
    "In the beginning, it was claimed that all in Perfect World were equal. But now it seems that some are more equal than others..." ~ Lost City Recluse
  • thumbs
    edited August 2013
    http://pwcalc.com/3dba81df57fe309f =)

Nice to see someone make sense. I don't even recall someone saying "with barb buff" originally. I often run w/o barb so I don't take it as a given.

For those that don't know: I play a sage mystic, sage veno, sage cleric, sage wizard, demon bm, sage barb, sage assassin, and demon assassin daily. All but barb and BM have +12 weapons; barb/bm have +10 G16 lunar nirv. Both assassins are 5.0 except sage underwater is 4.0. I try many squad configurations regularly. I can make mistakes, but I'm stating my observations on the HT server. In general assassins and aps BM/archer/barbs are the main cause of wasted time in BH 100s.

There are other wastes of time like those that want to fight the eye mobs in Abaddon, but that isn't class or aps exclusive.
  • FlyingPants - Sanctuary
    FlyingPants - Sanctuary Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited August 2013

I'll let you know first off that I haven't read what others have said so far in this thread. (mainly because its nearly 4 am b:shocked)

I came back after a 4 year break about a month ago. So far, I'd say the game is still worth playing b:victory

The starter areas aren't as populated as before because levelling is much easier. However the higher level areas are filled b:laugh

Making money isn't too hard, but don't expect to be super rich quick.. Jolly jones daily quests helps out new players with money to buy skills / repairs / pots. The dreamchaser pack helps with levelling as it provides pretty decent gear. (which will last you till lvl 70)

As for your BM doubts, Fist / Axe does seem to be what a majority of people are doing. PVP seems better as non-APS though.
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    s for your BM doubts, Fist / Axe does seem to be what a majority of people are doing. PVP seems better as non-APS though.

I am seeing more and more non aps bms: It may be mostly claw/fist and axe atm, but the trend might be changing.
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • SHIMBERLY - Heavens Tear
    SHIMBERLY - Heavens Tear Posts: 703 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    the reason for the change is for the set bonuses and cooler looking weapons,before the s3 gears the low end **** just looked like..uhh ****.I rarely use my fist or claw on my bm anymore so im not gonna s3 my claw or fist at the moment.Though I still love my aps craze on my sin its a good farming slave for tt for me or anything else.
  • antonella0709
    antonella0709 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    +5 gear won't give you 10k hp buffed :S Not unless you stat vit or get better then average shards. This is my Sin http://pwcalc.com/3dba81df57fe309f , with sage buff it ALMOST hit 10k hp, and my gear is +6 with helm +10

http://pwcalc.com/3bf6cc7ce3d210fb ive made a mistake in the atack lvl of the weap but u are talking about hp i guess...
    so not even taking engraves in rings and ornaments as part of the build, neither the hp of that new thing "Meridian sistem" a sin with +5 gear could easily have 10k+ hp and 5 aps
  • Uzi_Man - Harshlands
    Uzi_Man - Harshlands Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I will say the same thing everyone else says: PWI was great before, but started to get more boring each year with the updates. The new gears that came with the updates were getting progressively more over-powered, to the point that your skill in PvP and PvE doesn't really matter.

PvE is dead, it became way too easy and unchallenging. And you can only compete in PvP at level 100, where the minimum gear you require to put a fair fight, is G16 Nirvana.

What does this mean? It means that you get no fun PvE from level 1-105 (because most people call for their alts to clear the dungeon and kill the bosses), so you need to power-level in FC. And you need money to do this, so new or unexperienced players are very screwed up unless they get some information and / or help to get the needed money.

So, there is no PvE in this game anymore, but there's PvP, which you can only "access" at level 100, then you need to get your gear, which can be very expensive to some people.

And when you get your gear, and start PvPing, you discover that it is not as fun as you thought it would be, because most fights depend on class, lag and gear quality.

This means that this MMORPG is mediocre in PvP, and terrible in PvE, from level 1 to level 105. PvE was not that bad some years ago.

So, why people keep playing this? Because of friends, couples that get together to play, and because it's free to play. Seriously. This game is becoming a chat room.

Nevertheless, don't think PWI is the only affected game. A lot of MMORPG's are suffering the same fate. Why? Developers's greed, most say. But it's also because games need to be updated frenquently with more content, otherwise old players get bored (the problem is, that the developers don't know how to make updates that don't significantly affect the gameplay)

This game industry has fallen down a lot, even in MMO shooters. That's why I'm starting to play single-player RPGs.
  • Niob - Harshlands
    Niob - Harshlands Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    PvE is dead, it became way too easy and unchallenging. And you can only compete in PvP at level 100, where the minimum gear you require to put a fair fight, is G16 Nirvana.

What does this mean? It means that you get no fun PvE from level 1-105 (because most people call for their alts to clear the dungeon and kill the bosses), so you need to power-level in FC. And you need money to do this, so new or unexperienced players are very screwed up unless they get some information and / or help to get the needed money.

So, there is no PvE in this game anymore, but there's PvP, which you can only "access" at level 100, then you need to get your gear, which can be very expensive to some people.

Really? Then I must be doing something wrong. How come I've leveled up my cleric to lv70 without paying anybody for any fcs and even enjoyed myself? Even though I'm always poor with around 5mil coins.

But I have to admit lately I'm attacked so rarely it feels like I'm on a PvE server o.o I can casually fly outside a SZ, right next to other people, and no one will ever attack. That's particularly noticeable when I'm doing those meridian thing quests. There's always someone around when I'm flying around, being defenseless gathering stuff, and they just ignore me. If I were around their level I'd probably try to kill whatever lowbie showed their head there just for the hell of it lol.
  • Brillance - Raging Tide
    Brillance - Raging Tide Posts: 1,643 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Im reading along about APS and BHs and RBs and stuff, cool you know...very educational.
    Then, I hit this statement...

~An APS character is still a great PvE & Farming toon, but its has become alot less effective then it was back when you were last on (especially do to casters Pury Proc and etc.)

So, like Mystics/Wizzies/Clerics and so on are like better Farm Toons than APS Sins because they might have a Purify Proc on their weapon that will only proc 5% (R8) to 10% (R9) of the time??

Seems rediculous - but um...okay, if you say so. *shrugs*

Im thinking this is more of a shameless jab at Casters that is related to PvP whinings more than an actual bonus for a solo farm toon. b:chuckle

Would be interesting to see an explanation. Thanks. b:thanks

@OP -

Oddly, although the game has been on a down-swing for the past couple of years - it recently seems to be taking a turn for the better overall. It could be just that my perspective on the best way to play the game has changed. Time will tell. :)
  • Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    edited August 2013
    I think they left off a bit, it should read "An APS character... has become a lot less effective in PVP than it was back when you were last on (especially due to casters Pury Proc etc.)"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Brillance - Raging Tide
    Brillance - Raging Tide Posts: 1,643 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I think they left off a bit, it should read "An APS character... has become a lot less effective in PVP than it was back when you were last on (especially due to casters Pury Proc etc.)"

Thanks so much, Mayfly. That does sound more reasonable than what I was picking up. Everyone is entitled to a mistake. b:victory