Why did a lot of people leave Perfect World?

XxXxIrisxXxX - Dreamweaver
XxXxIrisxXxX - Dreamweaver Posts: 22 Arc User
edited August 2013 in General Discussion
I came back a few months ago and there were hardly any people in the cities, (cash shops,) or around the world. I was just wondering what caused a lot of them to leave; was it because they played for a long time, or because other games had came out sometime ago? Hmm... just a thought.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]b:cute Meow b:kiss
Here to be your Kitty. Make you all happy.
Post edited by XxXxIrisxXxX - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• Toliman - Raging Tide
    Toliman - Raging Tide Posts: 1,595 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I came back a few months ago and there were hardly any people in the cities, (cash shops,) or around the world. I was just wondering what caused a lot of them to leave; was it because they played for a long time, or because ... had came out sometime ago? Hmm... just a thought.

Let me guess ... 2X is over and most of them play during weekend only ...
  • XxXxIrisxXxX - Dreamweaver
    edited August 2013
    Let me guess ... 2X is over and most of them play during weekend only ...

Oh okay :/
  • SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited August 2013
    Could just be boredom too. b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • XxXxIrisxXxX - Dreamweaver
    edited August 2013
    Could just be boredom too. b:chuckle

Yes, good point. I did, eventually.
  • Xainou - Sanctuary
    Xainou - Sanctuary Posts: 5,369 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    It's summer and vacation time too, ijs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Licensed tail brusher of ƙɑƙʊɱɑʊ ~ only the fluffiest
    Outrunning centaurs since 2012~
  • Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    Mayfly - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,094 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Combination of:

1) New games having come out
    2) Dissatisfaction with the direction of recent updates
    3) Boredom (because too easy to level and endgame gear too easy to get now or whatever)
    4) Something else (real life concerns etc.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Weekly Japanese/English bilingual webcomic
    thejapanesepage.com/ebooks/yuki_no_monogatari_manga
  • PotatoHeadQR - Dreamweaver
    PotatoHeadQR - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,507 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    did you log after maint? it's the only time west is not packed with catshopsb:chuckle
    you only purge once #yopo
  • Annalyse - Heavens Tear
    Annalyse - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,618 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    2) Dissatisfaction with the direction of recent updates

A lot of people I knew left because of this.

I'm finding the game less fun with every update now too... I can't play much lately because I'm busy IRL, but I can't say I miss it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Annalyse (veno) - Melosa (cleric) - Glynneth (archer) - Pickerel (sin)
    Florafang (wiz) - RubixCube (barb) - Laravell (psy) - Diviah (Mystic)
    Torchwood (BM) - Sataea (Seeker) - Wystera (Sin) - Allissere (SB)

Looking for a mature faction on HT? pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=760842
  • WannaBM - Archosaur
    WannaBM - Archosaur Posts: 1,984 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Waste a lot of time on a game, always trying te get better equipment day in day out.

Realise you are just wasting your life on a game.

Blame the game and QQ about the direction of updates or whatever.

Or indeed, you probably logged in shortly after an update because even though at times we realise the futility of spendig our days on a game, most of us keep doing it anyway.
    Everything i write is from PvE perspective unless mentioned otherwise.
  • Mr_Swiss - Heavens Tear
    Mr_Swiss - Heavens Tear Posts: 879 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Because they have lives. Summertime is always the same. it dies down, people go on vaca.
    R9s3 Beast w/Demon Facepalm
  • bluestuffzzz
    bluestuffzzz Posts: 627 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I came back a few months ago and there were hardly any people in the cities, (cash shops,) or around the world. I was just wondering what caused a lot of them to leave; was it because they played for a long time, or because other games had came out sometime ago? Hmm... just a thought.

There are many reasons why so few new players are coming in, and why in general there are less people playing the game. Let's go over a few!

1.) Boredom: Unfortunately, the last actual expansion killed the weekly farming of Nirvana. In Nirvana's death came Nation Wars on the weekends, deader TWs, a very weak canny/rap market, etc. However, it did encourage players to farm full Warsong runs, and Lunar too! The most unfortunate thing is in the process of getting players cheaper gear (G15/G16), they killed an instance completely - that being Nirvana. Farming for in-game coins now is completely reliant on merchanting and/or farming Warsong, soloing FF for players, etc.

Why get bored? Nothing is new, really. What was released in the Siren's of war expansion is nothing short of the same old stuff. New packs w/ flyers/mounts, new fash, wep fash, G16 gear, r999 gear, a dead nirvana instance, cannys/raps super low in prices, some random new quests here and there, and of course - nation wars on the weekends.

The game never got any better with the introduction of the content updates since then. A new barb/veno form that has no skills attached but costs money and time to get. Nirvana not fixed up to make it worthwhile. Abba/SoT were revamped, but again - this change was designed at players with good gear and team work. It provides little intensive for getting new players to come in the game, or the older ones to continue playing.

2.) Wanmei/PWE's disgrace: The players have consistently asked for and used suggestions to make the game more entertaining, polished, etc. The way the company has treated the players - like cows waiting to be milked, is pretty disgraceful. We can't blame Perfect World Entertainment wholly for this, but they are supposed to relay the messages back to Wanmei, provide reasonable service to the players (both in server quality and support), and are responsible for weekly sales in the Boutique. Both Wanmei and PWE have failed at providing all three things to what most players have wanted. There have been many bugs that have provided exploiter's much in the way of benefits, and the game is completely one-sided to Pay2Win (P2W).

My opinion: No game should allow players to purchase items from the in-game (or out of game) shop that provides both direct and indirect balance issues and gives the player(s) an edge or advantage over another. Putting gear into the shop, and the mere fact that your cash can be turned into gold, which can be turned into coins, which can buy ANYTHING in the game - it's stupid, pointless, ruins the balance of the game, and is a direct attack on all players that don't throw equal amounts of cash into the game as one another.

3.) Out-dated: You know, if the game would have been managed a bit better - both by PWE/Wanmei, this wouldn't be much of an issue. However, the game's mechanics (grinding, kill x amount of mobs, events, etc) are all out-dated in terms of 2013 MMOs. The graphics are dated, the client has memory leaks and can't utilize modern hardware (so it runs like **** on most systems), etc. While I don't mind that old, out-dated graphical look and feel that PWI brings; the pay2win model of play that PWE has put into place has now taken it's toll. That's why most legit players have left.

4.) That in-between feel: The next expansion will (should) be released at the end of the year. With that being said, we are now in that period of time where people have grown bored of the new stuff offered from the last expansion and previous content updates, etc. This happens to all MMOs before an expansion, including the one with worlds made of crafts, that has wars. It's only logical to wait and see what the next expansion will provide. If it's any good, older players will come back to play some of the new content, and new players may see adverts, e-mails, etc about the expansion - providing more players.

Final thoughts:
    I truly believe that we have reached that decline point. We have actually been at a decline for a year or two now, but it's becoming more evident now. As new games come out all around the year, they lure what is remaining of the players and fewer people are around here. It's evident even on the forums, where once the entire first page of "General discussion" was of that one day, and now it's multiple days (8-8, 8-7, 8-6), etc. I believe that the game will continue to be supported for many more years, along with another few more expansions and a handful of content updates. But it should be noted that the game's player base is in steady decline (there's no doubt), and we can't expect players to just hop back on the pay2win bandwagon. Sure, you can work hard for your coins and still get good gear. But, when putting cash in a game instantly gets you all you can get with hard work... You've done something wrong with the economics model (For PWE's sales department).
    I host an Ecatomb mirror here: ecatomb.gdevtalk.net
    I've been actively playing since late 2008.
    Youtube: youtube.com/user/thecryotonic
  • Onatop - Lost City
    Onatop - Lost City Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The general trend is:

When u could buy r8 in the cs, people quit.

When r9 came out, people quit.

When r99 came out people quit.

When r999 came out people quit.

Granted there r new players popping up, but the number of people quitting is greater.
    50% of my guildies that i knew quit because they can't afford charms for tw, cause they get 1 shot by r9s, and that they can't farm as well as bm/sins.

As far as cs-ing goes, how else is PWE suppose to make money? What I dont agree with is that u can remove your credit card limit, so u can spend as much as u want. But hey, more money, more profit is the mantra for any business.
    Find the solution to Laplace's equation at X=2, Y =3, OR bend over b:cry
  • Apostasy - Raging Tide
    Apostasy - Raging Tide Posts: 1,197 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Well, most "pay to plays" that I have played in the past allowed a player to actually be able to make more in-game coin loot when grinding as they increase in levels, etc... PWI... you spend more and more and more in order to come out making the same amount at level 100+ as I did when I was grinding at level 40... I used to make about 400k coins at level 40 grinding with minimal repair costs... Now at 102 I can make a little over a million just as quick, but I end up with a 600k+ repair bill (and that does not include pots, apoths, charm ticks)... That is a good way to design a game b:victory

Even as I have warsoul recast +12 as my weapon and all my remaining gears are +8... to get all my gears to +12 and jos'd/deity shard it all would alone cost about $6000 (6000 gold) to be able to achieve... that does not include the costs of upgrading anything else... just refines and shards. That is what i really want in a game b:chuckle

$ > skill. That is a fact in PWI. So what you have is a bunch of rich upper-crust scum wiping their /\sses with everyone else... and actually talking mad smack about how great they are and how fail everyone else is... That inspires the general, average population of players to play the game... b:laugh

So yeah... Where the **** did you think this game was heading? b:puzzled b:surprised
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Grindata_ - Heavens Tear
    Grindata_ - Heavens Tear Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    oh and dont forget about the arc system which everyone hates.
  • Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    Mayfly - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,094 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Even as I have warsoul recast +12 as my weapon and all my remaining gears are +8... to get all my gears to +12 and jos'd/deity shard it all would alone cost about $6000 (6000 gold) to be able to achieve... that does not include the costs of upgrading anything else... just refines and shards. That is what i really want in a game b:chuckle

You know, you probably could have +12d the rest of your gear and at least partly sharded it for what that warsoul cost over and above the alternatives.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Weekly Japanese/English bilingual webcomic
    thejapanesepage.com/ebooks/yuki_no_monogatari_manga
  • Decus - Dreamweaver
    Decus - Dreamweaver Posts: 5,033 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    You know, you probably could have +12d the rest of your gear and at least partly sharded it for what that warsoul cost over and above the alternatives.

Don't bother, he won't listen to logic. It's like yelling at a wall~ :3
    Proving that not only archers do math since 2009. b:victory
    Current math challenge: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1029711&page=45
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Any skills that can be used to kill you will interrupt BB when successful." -truekossy | "...Sage archers are kind of like Mac owners. They are proud of the weirdest and most unnecessary things." -Aesthor | "We ALL know Jesus doesn't play PWI. He may have suffered a lot for humanity, but he'd NEVER punish himself this way." -Abstractive | "I approve of bananas." -SashaGray
  • Rubybeard - Archosaur
    Rubybeard - Archosaur Posts: 134 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    make a new char do fun quest until 60/70, and then fc until you get 100 do ws,TT for endgame gears, do NW every weekend, join TW faction. the end.

no wonder this game is boring
  • Alsiadorra - Sanctuary
    Alsiadorra - Sanctuary Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    make a new char do fun quest until 60/70, and then fc until you get 100 do ws,TT for endgame gears, do NW every weekend, join TW faction. the end.

no wonder this game is boring

And then(for some of us) at 100+, BQ, Morai Dailies, PWT Dailies, log off after doing all of the former in 50-55 minutes. Rinse, repeat.
  • Angel_Spawn - Sanctuary
    Angel_Spawn - Sanctuary Posts: 3,034 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    And then(for some of us) at 100+, BQ, Morai Dailies, PWT Dailies, log off after doing all of the former in 50-55 minutes. Rinse, repeat.

Or stay and chat occasionally :P
  • Fae_Harpy - Archosaur
    Fae_Harpy - Archosaur Posts: 267 Arc User
    edited August 2013

What? I just got my Warsoul bow and it only cost me 200 gold to make it, upgrading it will cost me about another 100 gold. For 300 gold you could not +12 even 1 piece of equipment.
    AstriaFae
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I looked to the stars, my aim true.
    Heart peirced, the light flowed.
    And from the dust of Sagittarrius,
    I crafted a bow.
  • ResMePls - Heavens Tear
    ResMePls - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,349 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Um...because p00r managment 0f this game is killing it. And newer and m0re exciting games are being released s0 it's making this game l00k pretty dull.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]I know what your thinking.
  • Selak - Dreamweaver
    Selak - Dreamweaver Posts: 462 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Most of my Friends have left this game because this company insists on changing/adding content for PvP MOBA/FPS style of play in a game they chose to play as PvE MMORPG on a PvE server and are sick of being treated as second class citizens the truth be known.
    There are old Warriors, and bold Warriors,
    but there are very few old bold Warriors. b:chuckle
  • Rubybeard - Archosaur
    Rubybeard - Archosaur Posts: 134 Arc User
    edited August 2013

that what ive been doing this past 3 weeks lol, do BH,BQ,sometimes OHT, and if i get blue/purple divine quest then bam i log out b:laugh
  • Apostasy - Raging Tide
    Apostasy - Raging Tide Posts: 1,197 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    What? I just got my Warsoul bow and it only cost me 200 gold to make it, upgrading it will cost me about another 100 gold. For 300 gold you could not +12 even 1 piece of equipment.
    Don't bother trying to explain that part to them... do you really think they keep track of costs given how much money they spend on cash shop to "merch" those items to us at ridiculous prices? With being able to catch some sales... it took me $400 to just +11 and +12 from already having +10 on my weapon b:surrender... but yeah... i'm the one having logic issues b:victory
    And apparently, you do not know... that NO, I could not have ;p
    Don't bother, he won't listen to logic. It's like yelling at a wall~ :3
    Nah, it's just cause i group u in with the dooche bag genre of people b:lipcurl gee, I wonder why? b:question
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Fiery_Demon - Heavens Tear
    Fiery_Demon - Heavens Tear Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Most people I know have left because they simply can't afford to play. They refuse to use so much real money to buy their gear and they don't have time to only farm and farm. And others leave because most people are 100+ and lowbies rarely find help or anyone to hang out with.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Toliman - Raging Tide
    Toliman - Raging Tide Posts: 1,595 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Most people I know have left because they simply can't afford to play. They refuse to use so much real money to buy their gear and they don't have time to only farm and farm...

This is common problem of free to try - pay to play games.

Most of my Friends have left this game because this company insists on changing/adding content for PvP MOBA/FPS style of play in a game they chose to play as PvE MMORPG on a PvE server and are sick of being treated as second class citizens the truth be known.
    It is possible, because NW had killed Nirvana at least.
  • LycanthropeX - Raging Tide
    LycanthropeX - Raging Tide Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Most people I know have left because they simply can't afford to play. They refuse to use so much real money to buy their gear and they don't have time to only farm and farm. And others leave because most people are 100+ and lowbies rarely find help or anyone to hang out with.

This right here is the answer, sad but true.
  • SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited August 2013
    Agreed. This is mostly why I don't log in nearly as much as I used to.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Cristalwhite - Harshlands
    Cristalwhite - Harshlands Posts: 134 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    - Dead Forges in frostcovered City ( disabled Game-Content )
    - pay 3 mil to farm in a instance, while there was no real way to get thos 3 mil by just farming. ( only BH100 (Lunar is 95+ ?) and without trading? )
    - a cave called Twilight Temple where the drop rate sucks
    - drop rate in general make it impossible to farm stuff on your own, like simple Compound Oil
    - no game support
    - very time restrikted events ..... international means you gotta stay awake during the night if you are from europe to participate on the Events like Tiger-Event, JungleRuin, TW, Nation wars.
    - on pvp server you are in competition to rank 9 rr +12 people while you try to level up with quests, on public quest, or public events, be a victim on Arch-Assault-Event
    - no way to farm your gear without spending YEARS and suffer life.
    - PvP decision is made by using Items from Boutique: charms etc.

enough reasons to quit really.
    or you want more?
    - low levels couldnt make any money during the time they reduced DQ-item value to 1 coin untill the update which brought the Jolly Jones quest.
    how where they supposed to level their skills? LOL super fail
  • MyMate - Dreamweaver
    MyMate - Dreamweaver Posts: 558 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    b:cry

Why didnt you just do that?
    "In the beginning, it was claimed that all in Perfect World were equal. But now it seems that some are more equal than others..." ~ Lost City Recluse