PC Hardware Specs

Azmil - Sanctuary
Azmil - Sanctuary Posts: 6 Arc User
edited August 2013 in Support Desk
Hey all,

So I decided to come back to PWI after a 2 year hiatus. Since then I've sold my PC away.
So now I need some help from the tech pros here to just point me in the right direction, tech wise.

I intend to play on a 24" 1080p monitor, and run the game at max during instances, and at high during TWs. 30-40fps would be decent enough for me. I have decided on building an ITX system due to space constraints. I would also like to try to keep the budget as tiny as possible.

Here we go,

CPU + Motherboard: Intel G2020 + Asrock B75m-ITX.
(My concern here is if the G2020 would be able to run the game at max or high)
Graphics card: Powercolor HD7850 1GB.
RAM: 4gb (2x2gb)

These are the only essentials i believe.

So there! Should I go with an i3-2120, or would it make no difference at all with regards to playing PWI?

Note: I play LoL and WoW too but those run fine on my C2D Macbook so no issues there.

Thank you!

-Azy
Post edited by Azmil - Sanctuary on

Comments

• SashaGray - Heavens Tear
    SashaGray - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,765 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    pwi doesnt utilize multiple cores, but there is more to processors to how many cores are on the die, its the power and architecture of the individual core that is running pwi.

pwi does not utilize graphics cards for any rendering, all processing is done by the cpu

asrock are **** motherboards.

while a high end intel chip is optimal, you get much more bang for your buck out of AMDs if you are spending between 100-150 on a chip go amd, if you have 300 to spend go intel.

without tweaking, PWI can only use a max of 2gb of ram, so 4 is fine.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • das7002
    das7002 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    pwi does not utilize graphics cards for any rendering, all processing is done by the cpu

b:embarrass
  • Azmil - Sanctuary
    edited July 2013
    pwi doesnt utilize multiple cores, but there is more to processors to how many cores are on the die, its the power and architecture of the individual core that is running pwi.

while a high end intel chip is optimal, you get much more bang for your buck out of AMDs if you are spending between 100-150 on a chip go amd, if you have 300 to spend go intel.

Hi thanks for the reply.

I suppose you mean AMD APUs? In that case, I've already done some calculations and they would cost almost the same with an Intel g2020+hd7850. The thing about AMD APUs is that they require high speed rams to fully utilize them. Unless the recommendation for AMD chips is unanimous, I'm sticking with Intel :)
  • AsMyliuTave - Sanctuary
    AsMyliuTave - Sanctuary Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    He/she said CPU, not APU. I'd go with an AMD FX 6xxx series (preferably the 6350). Plenty of power, and cheaper than the Intel equivalents. I'd seriously only choose Intel if I was looking at the very top of the market. AMD can't compete up there, but they are much more affordable at most levels. I'm not an AMD fan-boy, by the way. I run an Intel i5 on my main PC.
    Also, may I ask why you're choosing the 1GB version of the 7850 instead of the 2GB? Just wondering. There's not a huge difference, but for modern games, and games that'll come along in the next year, the 2GB will be a huge benefit. However, if it's only really for PWI the 1GB version will be more than enough. Overkill to be honest lol.
    Name: AsMyliuTave
    Race: Winged Elf
    Class: Archer
    Spiritual Cultivation: Celestial Sage
    Level: 104-103-101
    Faction: Vindicate (Executor)
    Server: Sanctuary
    pwcalc.com/1c41e0adfdadd9f9
  • Azmil - Sanctuary
    edited July 2013
    Ahh ok sorry for the assumption! I'll take a look at the prices here for your recommended CPU and make a decision from there.

I'm taking the 1gb version because it's cheaper and I only play mmos on my pc, and the rest on my PS3. Thank you :)
  • Templar - Sanctuary
    Templar - Sanctuary Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    i smell amd fan boys..

go wiht i3 or i5

i have phenom 1090t wiht 6 cores which was top of AMD offer and its better then newever fx gen but lately Intel is dominating cpu world. Buddy of mine boguht i5 3570k and its destroying every game i seen . ( with decent cooling can be clock to like 4,600 easy )

power efficient as well go with i5 if you can afford new haswell is out or i3 if you on budget its decent cpu.
  • Joe - Morai
    Joe - Morai Posts: 1,299 Arc User
    edited July 2013

WRONG! ASRock used to be ****, but they improved in terms I couldn't even believe if I hadn't tested the out for myself. The only Manufacturer I would take a bow around is MSI (Everything cept GPUs, those are good).

If you really liek to play PWI mainly on your machine then I suggest using at least a up-to-date Quad Core. Surely PWI's engine can only utilize a single core, but things are different if you run a second client for example. Most ppl do that, so you can say: The more client, the more cores (:

But for real now, try to get a CPU that's as fast as possible and fast RAM and maybe a ssd. Combined with minimem on such a system you will get the best results. I got PWI running on so many systems and I tried to achieve the maximum performance. The better the cpu, the better the performance.

PPL always tend to forget that you don't only have PWI running on your system, but browsers, music players and so on, the os itself as well.
    My Barb:
    mypers.pw/1.8/#146464

My SB:
    mypers.pw/1.8/#141476
  • Alsiadorra - Sanctuary
    Alsiadorra - Sanctuary Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    edited July 2013

My Nvidia GeForce 560Ti says otherwise.
  • Azmil - Sanctuary
    edited July 2013

Do you run on max with that card?
  • Adroit - Lost City
    Adroit - Lost City Posts: 4,628 Arc User
    edited July 2013

You'd think so, but it doesn't seem like pwi uses the gpu much. A while back I experimented with OCing a few components to see how they affected my fps.. overclocking my cpu resulted in much higher frame rates (mostly in west arch and TW, was very noticeable) and I couldn't tell any difference when I overclocked my gpu. The desktop I'm using is getting a bit aged now, but I'm still able to record TW/pvp etc just fine

AMD phenom II x4 955 (stock 3.2GHz, OC to 3.8GHz)
    Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4P AM3 ATX motherboard
    G.Skill Ripjaws 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) RAM
    EVGA GeForce 9800+ GTX+

Also checking the load on my cpu/gpu, the places most people complain about lag I have a single core near 100% usage, and my 4 year old video card sits at ~30% usage.. I don't think the gpu matters that much when running pwi.
    Youtube Channel: youtube.com/user/D2VeT/videos?flow=grid&view=0
    Current gear: pwcalc.com/6ab2893fbfb080a8
    [SIGPIC]http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=684hgk&s=5[/SIGPIC]
  • Azmil - Sanctuary
    edited August 2013
    You'd think so, but it doesn't seem like pwi uses the gpu much. A while back I experimented with OCing a few components to see how they affected my fps.. overclocking my cpu resulted in much higher frame rates (mostly in west arch and TW, was very noticeable) and I couldn't tell any difference when I overclocked my gpu. The desktop I'm using is getting a bit aged now, but I'm still able to record TW/pvp etc just fine

AMD phenom II x4 955 (stock 3.2GHz, OC to 3.8GHz)
    Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4P AM3 ATX motherboard
    G.Skill Ripjaws 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) RAM
    EVGA GeForce 9800+ GTX+

Also checking the load on my cpu/gpu, the places most people complain about lag I have a single core near 100% usage, and my 4 year old video card sits at ~30% usage.. I don't think the gpu matters that much when running pwi.

What was your settings in game? And how much fps did you get in TW?
  • Adroit - Lost City
    Adroit - Lost City Posts: 4,628 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    What was your settings in game? And how much fps did you get in TW?

Maxed settings minus soften, I think soften looks dumb. I really don't check my fps all that often, but gameplay is generally smooth. In the worst places like by the nw forges just after nw ends it can get a little choppy, but that kind of thing is fairly rare.. west arch isn't a problem at all, pk/nw has never been an issue, 95% of TW is fine (every once in a while when all 160 people are in the same place using flashy animations I notice it get a little choppy).
    Youtube Channel: youtube.com/user/D2VeT/videos?flow=grid&view=0
    Current gear: pwcalc.com/6ab2893fbfb080a8
    [SIGPIC]http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=684hgk&s=5[/SIGPIC]
  • Azmil - Sanctuary
    edited August 2013
    Maxed settings minus soften, I think soften looks dumb. I really don't check my fps all that often, but gameplay is generally smooth. In the worst places like by the nw forges just after nw ends it can get a little choppy, but that kind of thing is fairly rare.. west arch isn't a problem at all, pk/nw has never been an issue, 95% of TW is fine (every once in a while when all 160 people are in the same place using flashy animations I notice it get a little choppy).

Great! Someone is selling off a rig that has an amd x4 965, so il just get that and pop a 560ti in, instead of a 7850 since it's cheaper this way. Thanks!