Launcher requires admin rights

Options
Vitenka - Dreamweaver
Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
edited August 2013 in Suggestion Box
You asked for reasons ARC is bad? Here's one.

Situation: PC on a PC where I do not have admin rights.
Prior to ARC, I can launch elementclient.exe (from a thumb drive, for example) and everything is fine.

Now, elementclient.exe refuses to start, instead starting the launcher, which requires admin rights. So I can't play on that machine.

Solution: Put elementclient.exe back to how it was - it will already skip this check if it finds another copy of elementclient.exe is already running (not tried fooling it by renaming notepad, but I'd expect that to provide a workaround for people.)
Post edited by Vitenka - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• ovenusarmanio
    ovenusarmanio Posts: 6,695 Community Moderator
    edited July 2013
    Options
    This isn't a bug so I moved it ot the suggestion box. And this isn't because of ARC, that's just how the client works now. I don't have ARC and it's the same thing. IT initially restricted our ability to launch two clients back when this changed was introduced, but the US gms quickly fixed that.

kritty%20sig_zpsp0y7ttsb.png
    Thanks to MikoTenshi for the Avi and Kritty for the Signature.
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Options
    No, this is a bug.

Previously admin rights were not required; now they are.
    The elementclient.exe does not need admin rights; as evidenced by its running ok as a second copy without asking for them.

So it's asking for rights it does not need.

Another solution would be to have the launcher only check for admin rights if it is actually:
    a) Performing a patch operation.
    b) In a directory that requires admin rights to write to.
  • ovenusarmanio
    ovenusarmanio Posts: 6,695 Community Moderator
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Admin rights are required because it's launches the patcher first. They upgraded the client recently and that's when this change occurred. The patcher thing also restricted it so that you couldnt' open up a second window at all after one maintenance. But that was for China, and PWI changed the permissions and rereleased the manual patch. People who had downloaded the manual patch early had to redownload it again so that this change was overwritten. And others had to recreate their desktop icon for elementclient.exe from the patched version to what we have now. I'm trying to find the thread for it but it's gonna take some time. @.@ A lot of people have complained about this and think it's ARC specific, but it is not.

Either way I'll forward this issue to the GMs.

edit: Couldn't find the thread so I asked a GM and they indeed confirmed it was working as intended. I forwarded the suggestion along as well.

kritty%20sig_zpsp0y7ttsb.png
    Thanks to MikoTenshi for the Avi and Kritty for the Signature.
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Salari - Raging Tide
    Salari - Raging Tide Posts: 2,102 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Yeah the patcher has needed admin rights on newer versions of windows for quite some time. It is a feature built into windows itself it is not a issue with the installer, or the client. Have your administrator to change which login that program uses to run as. But I doubt they will :)
    Marine - Marshall - Raging Tides - Retired
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    DEMHEALSMAN - Dreamweaver
    Yes, because people really need 900+ dex or 1000+ magic just for the lulz
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Pro Tip of the Day: Make a shortcut to elementclient.exe and edit it to pass the parameter "startbypatcher"

The target box would look something like:
    "C:\Games\Perfect World International\element\elementclient.exe" startbypatcher

That disables the behavior of quitting to the patcher... This should be allowed since there's no client modification.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • vk180
    vk180 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Options
    To disable patcher.exe asking for admin rights (which it doesn't really need), you can also add the correct manifest to patcher.exe, however the mt.exe command line tool from Visual Studio is required for that (it's possible to find standalone mt.exe download in Google).

1. Create a file named "patcher.exe.manifest" with the following contents:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
    <assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0">
    <trustInfo xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3">
    <security>
    <requestedPrivileges>
    <requestedExecutionLevel level="asInvoker" uiAccess="false"/>
    </requestedPrivileges>
    </security>
    </trustInfo>
    </assembly>

2. Run the following command:
    mt.exe -manifest patcher.exe.manifest -outputresource:patcher.exe;1
  • Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    Mayfly - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,094 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Options
    But doesn't that violate the terms of service, by modifying a game file? If we can't even change one bit to allow >2GB access, I don't see them allowing that change.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Weekly Japanese/English bilingual webcomic
    thejapanesepage.com/ebooks/yuki_no_monogatari_manga