Is Mystic The Class I should choose?

Options
jsalgado26
jsalgado26 Posts: 1 Arc User
edited July 2013 in Mystic
So Hello, am starting to play the game, and I want to know if mystic is a good newbie/starter class. I mean I have done some research and found that they have these summons, like Venomancers Pets, I like that. I come from WoW and used to be a hunter , which are able to have a pet. I would Like trying to go by the game by myself as long as I can, what I mean is:

1) A solo class
2) Fun to play
3) Is not expensive or not that expensive.
4) Is nice to learn
(I have read there are classes like sins that only spark or something like that and auto-attack)
5)Is Awesome :D

Any feedback or opinion if mystic is my class would help, if there is a better class that accomplish what I am looking for, would be nice to know.

I read some post on forum and they say Venomancers are the best starter class, however I want to be a male character.

Ty for reading :D.
Post edited by jsalgado26 on

Comments

• CapnK - Sanctuary
    CapnK - Sanctuary Posts: 1,166 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Options
    It sounds like you've already answered your own question. :)

1) A solo class

Yes mystic can solo most anything, although some bosses require creative solutions to solo.

2) Fun to play

Very

A mystic uses large amounts of MP so they require pots to refill it. However the game gives you enough pots to get you through the low levels. And at high levels MP food is very cheap.

4) Is nice to learn (I have read there are classes like sins that only spark or something like that and auto-attack)

Mystics can do most anything but require a fair amount of multi-tasking ability. There are a lot of fail mystics but the ones who really learn their class can do exceptional things.

Very
  • Brillance - Raging Tide
    Brillance - Raging Tide Posts: 1,643 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Options
    jsalgado26 wrote: »
    So Hello, am starting to play the game, and I want to know if mystic is a good newbie/starter class. I mean I have done some research and found that they have these summons, like Venomancers Pets, I like that. I come from WoW and used to be a hunter , which are able to have a pet. I would Like trying to go by the game by myself as long as I can, what I mean is:

1) A solo class
    2) Fun to play
    4) Is nice to learn
    (I have read there are classes like sins that only spark or something like that and auto-attack)

Any feedback or opinion if mystic is my class would help, if there is a better class that accomplish what I am looking for, would be nice to know.

I read some post on forum and they say Venomancers are the best starter class, however I want to be a male character.

Ty for reading :D.

Be a girl and make a Veno. Its the latest target for updates, so it will probably be the most exciting to work on for a bit.

If you want to be popular for squads, make a Cleric or Barb/Tanking Seeker.

Problem with Mystic is its not a pure class - but a Hybrid. A Veno is a Hybrid too, I guess.

The Mystic is a great character for a thinking player, or one that likes to be active. Its not a 'face roll' char. You have to pay attention to everything you have going on, as well as, how it effects others in your squad.

Its versatile and overall, under-utilized. Maybe because most people compare it to either a cleric or a Veno - when it is really neither. Yes, it heals and has summons which act a lot like pets, but thats really where most comparison ends.

For these reasons, some people love the Mystic, while others just can't get into it. People have a bad experience with either playing a Mystic themselves, or squading with someone that hasnt quite grasped the char yet - and it leaves the bulk of Mystics thought of as bad overall when it comes to squading. There is also the traditional squad mindset, that doesnt leave a lot of room to insert a Mystic into it, unless there is a cleric shortage on the server.

So, you compare fighting for a spot on a squad, selling your Mystic to the squad leader, to something that is deemed necessary for a squad, like a cleric or tank.

Spending money to totally gear up a Mystic is insane in my honest opinion. Again, if I was going to R9rr any char in this game, it would definately be a barb or cleric.

If its no big inconvenience for you to totally gear up 10 chars, then sure - do the Mystic too.

The mechanics in the game are not as complicated as the game you are leaving, but the character creation is awesome.

Good luck whatever you decide. A Mystic is a wonderful char to play, but you should look at the big picture before making it your absolute choice. Maybe even play a baby Mystic for a while to get a feeling of if its right for you.
  • rayrayt101
    rayrayt101 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Options
    I just hit level 82 with my Mystic yesterday

and what everyone has said so far pretty much sums it up!

As a mystic is a hybrid class it takes a lot of careful planning if you're going to do it right. Most of the low levels are pretty solo-able with a mystic though... which is more than I can say for my Cleric who almost always needed help with the bosses. Having said that, it depends on what your gaming strategy is. Mystics run out of mana really quickly but they make up for that with their summons. The summons aren't exactly as resilient as venomancer summons but what I did basically was level them up and focussed my spirit points on my healing spells. The only two attack spells I upgraded (up till I hit the 70s) were the first two basic attack spells and they were good enough for me in the beginning. I basically played as if the summon was the player and I was its healing support. Pretty much solo'ed everything I needed including spiritual cultivations up till lvl 79 where I started to join groups as a support healer alongside the cleric.

The other thing that's pretty useful about mystics is the resurrection buff, which enables players to resurrect instantly on the spot when they die (with 50% hp) and minimal exp loss. Its also a very useful buff to give to yourself as with most spellcasters, we're quite squishy when it comes to defense.

Finding squads can be a little difficult I think, but I have never had that problem on Arch server and the PVP server.
  • Fenrina - Heavens Tear
    Fenrina - Heavens Tear Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Options
    MP costs can be a bit overstated at times. Nature's vengeance + devil's basic attacks works pretty well for small fry mobs (for jolly's orders, etc). The short version is NV is way more mp efficient than either devil or mistress, and devil has better basic attacks. Without summon's mp skills, the mystic will be tanking so plan accordingly.

When you go full out for bosses/dungeons, that's when mp gets really costly.
  • Alexis - Lothranis
    Alexis - Lothranis Posts: 264 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Wouldn't really recommend mystic as a class for starters, but you can pull it off if you have some 'game-smarts' as this game is not that complicated at least in the PvE part. I don't think you'll get bored with mystics, since, as a good mystic, you'll pretty much have to be good at...everything. Healing, dding, debuffing, ccing, even tanking if your gear allows it.

Mystic being such a versatile class allows for you to have a more personal playstyle; for other classes, most of the time, there's a certain way to play them right. But this also causes problems since this also creates many ways for a mystic to be fail xD It's also why the mystic population is low compared to other classes. Btw of that a common mistake is thinking the summons are the same as venos' pets. The pets are more as another "player" there to assist you, whereas mystics' summons are more like a tool you use. But you'll see all that as you go.

Mana wise that was a problem back when mystics first appeared. These days you get a lot of free potions and charms and you lvl fast enough that you don't really need to worry about that anymore.

Good luck with it and if any problems or questions arise search the forums for answers and if you don't find what you want, post the question. We'll be here to help. f:cute
    Youtube channel: youtube.com/user/FDB19
  • summersnowq
    summersnowq Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Mystic is a fun class to play.b:victory
  • HrunsPanda - Archosaur
    HrunsPanda - Archosaur Posts: 1,136 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Of course asking in the mystic form does not get you the most objective replies.

Is mystic a good character for you and should you continue it if you already started and like it ? - Absolutely

Is mystic the best fit for what you describe ? - No, the answer to your post is a veno.

However, it depends a bit on what you really mean and what you want or why:

Do you want to play solo because you are not like most of us goal oriented idiots who are powerleveling to where we can farm high end instances to become filthy rich but because you want to do the quests at your own pace ? - Yes then unfortunately you are a rarity and it is hard to find people to play with. However, 90% of the quests can be soloed by any class, 5% can not be soloed at all and the remaining 5% is where this venomancer will shine. So i dont think you should choose veno based on that. For solo questing, i would focus on a class that can kill mobs faster because you are going to be killing many of them. To mind comes: Sin, BM, seeker, wizzy, psy. On the opposite side are the barb and cleric who are great teamplayers but very slow to work by themselves. I think veno and mystic are a bit in between.

Or do you want to solo because you actually want to farm yourself rich and you don't want to share the wealth ? In that case, bad luck. You need quite some wealth before you can farm more wealth. For not yet wealth players, there are dayly quests that provide you your "dayly allowance". There are few farming opportunities for low geared characters beside that.
  • CaitlinDan - Heavens Tear
    CaitlinDan - Heavens Tear Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Options
    I agree with HrunsPanda.

I played both mystic and veno. If you are serious about being INDEPENDENT/able to SOLO, I think veno is probably a lot better than a mystic. Probably because with the right skills, you can easily tank a lot of stuff.

With herc's so cheap now (I say cheap because they're like 50 gold now from Battle Pet packs compared to 200 gold back when it first came out), you can easily get the best tanking pet and do a lot of things on your own. I farmed for my herc when I was 40 ish and pretty much did things on my own till 80.

A well played veno is welcome into squads, because your debuffs and AOE+debuffs+purge can make runs go super smoothly.

I don't know. I like venos better than mystics. I have almost zero pot costs as well because of nature's grace + soul transfusion + metabolic boost. Sooooo, yeah, your call really.

Just my 2 cents.
    I copied Desdi's font color. It's too pretty. Forgive me Desdi b:thanks
  • Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands
    Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands Posts: 7,231 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Options
    I agree with HrunsPanda.

I played both mystic and veno. If you are serious about being INDEPENDENT/able to SOLO, I think veno is probably a lot better than a mystic. Probably because with the right skills, you can easily tank a lot of stuff.

With herc's so cheap now (I say cheap because they're like 50 gold now from Battle Pet packs compared to 200 gold back when it first came out), you can easily get the best tanking pet and do a lot of things on your own. I farmed for my herc when I was 40 ish and pretty much did things on my own till 80.

A well played veno is welcome into squads, because your debuffs and AOE+debuffs+purge can make runs go super smoothly.

I don't know. I like venos better than mystics. I have almost zero pot costs as well because of nature's grace + soul transfusion + metabolic boost. Sooooo, yeah, your call really.

Just my 2 cents.

At higher lvl it's faster to solo stuff on mystic than veno, can I solo blackhole on my veno? Yes, but I can solo it on my mystic way much more fast than on my veno.

@OP: The different between veno and mystic it's veno use their pets as tank, while mystic summons are there as support to the mystic, the mystic tank himself, the summon is there as second DD or you can leech it for attack or defense bonus. Many people see mystic and veno as similar, but they are totally different.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

b:dirty "I **** rainbows and love everyone"-Longknife b:cute
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    Desdi - Sanctuary Posts: 8,680 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Well, depends on what level range we're talking about. Venomancer pets become mostly support than actually tanks. A lot of things the Venomancer can tank herself.
    On lower levels however, yes, pets are usually doing the tanking.

I wouldn't say Blackhole is a good example though because it also depends on gear. If the Venomancer has to spam heal her pet that's tanking..then yeah that's slow but if the Venomancer is tanking herself it's much faster...or in the case of evolved pets they can take so many hits that there's enough time for the Venomancer to DD (provided who have decent gear from which your pets are effected).

Both can solo things but in different ways and at different levels. Both are fun to play in my opinion but, again, in different ways.

Expensive? Debate-able. Mystics consume a lot of resources but a Venomancer will have to acquire legendary pets (usually Hercules) to expand their capabilities if they want to maximize their potential.

Nice to learn? I think both are fun to learn and both require a certain amount of multi-tasking since both classes utilize pets.

I've played both classes though my Mystic is only lvl90 and quite retired due to lack or time/money to invest into it. Focusing on upgrading my main's gear at the moment.

Pretty sure the OP has already decided by now though xD the thread is pretty old.
    [SIGPIC]http://i.imgur.com/MtwcqjL.png[/SIGPIC]
    ★ Venomancer videos - tinyurl.com/k6ppkw4 ★ Desdi - Demon ♪ Wyvelin - Sage ★
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Options
    At higher lvl it's faster to solo stuff on mystic than veno, can I solo blackhole on my veno? Yes, but I can solo it on my mystic way much more fast than on my veno.

I'm not so sure about this after the update with pet evolution. My herc is now an aggro *****, and veno has amp, myriads, ironwood, etc. I have 20% hp debuff on veno as opposed to 8% on Mystic. Celestial Giant has reflect damage; Mystic doesn't. Veno pets now inherit stats as well.
    Expensive? Debate-able. Mystics consume a lot of resources but a Venomancer will have to acquire legendary pets (usually Hercules) to expand their capabilities if they want to maximize their potential.

Lately I've been using about the same amount of MP pots on mystic as veno.

Venos don't have to acquire legendary pets, and the evolution update which also brought changes to SoT and Aba has made non legendary pets far more useful than they were before.

What my fish, skeleton, and scorpion can kill in 1 hit; my herc and nix will take 3 or more hits. Howl goes nicely on non-legendary pets and is one of the best non legendary or cheap skills to have.

This update actually makes me want to improve my veno's equips that I have done little for in the past year or so.

I'd still highly recommend Mystic. - Veno are for rich players, and those that don't mind changing forms just to use a skill.
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
    edited July 2013
    Options
    tweakz wrote: »
    I'm not so sure about this after the update with pet evolution. My herc is now an aggro *****, and veno has amp, myriads, ironwood, etc. I have 20% hp debuff on veno as opposed to 8% on Mystic. Celestial Giant has reflect damage; Mystic doesn't. Veno pets now inherit stats as well.

Yea for sage, but for demon ironwood have only 20% chance to proc, myriads doesn't work all the time, no 20% hp debuff ... zzz.

I wish my veno was sage, I don't like demon...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• akosireann
    akosireann Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Options
    I'm listing this as a Don't list cause no one seems to listen to me on nearly ALL the RT mysts I encounter in a squad

Don't be a myst if you:

-pop out a befuddling creeper or any debuff on boss fights when EVERYONE in squad tells you not to.

-Complain about mana

- Say ''I don't ress buff for this squad, cleric is R9'' (This happened to me twice b:sad )

- Don't use mistress' non seal aoe when a pull is being set cause ''mana is expensive''

-Don't cast petals, heals, or protection spells on your teammates when bb is down or cleric dc's (this happened waaaaay too often)

In short don't be a myst if you're not flexible in your role.
    Go Pure or go Fail

You have enemies? Good. That means you stood up for something in your life - Winston Churchill

Status of PvP in RT

The best pk in Raging Tides is in World Chat- Dylena
    edited July 2013
    Options
    akosireann wrote: »
    I'm listing this as a Don't list cause no one seems to listen to me on nearly ALL the RT mysts I encounter in a squad

Don't be a myst if you:

-pop out a befuddling creeper or any debuff on boss fights when EVERYONE in squad tells you not to.

- This is interesting. I have yet to be in a squad where EVERYONE told me NOT to do something, PRIOR to my doing it, lol.

-Complain about mana

-Somewhere around level 50, where everyone wants a Res Buff from you, and you are light years away from the AoE skill, MP can become a legitimate problem for many Mystics, especially when they play a balanced Mystic and include DD along with buffs and heals.

- Say ''I don't ress buff for this squad, cleric is R9'' (This happened to me twice b:sad )

- Um...maybe they have been taught a legitimate hate for R9's on their server? Im not saying anyone should naturally hate-on R9s, but perchance an R9 gave them a reason to stereotype all of them?? o_0 lol?

- Don't use mistress' non seal aoe when a pull is being set cause ''mana is expensive''

-Aside from the level thingy posted above, no clue - unless maybe its just too much for them to keep up with at their current stage of char play?

There are times when Im so busy trying to keep up with where my plants are at with longevity, the condition and type of summon I am using, and watching health bars, that I suddenly hit a, "Duh! What's next??!!" 'deer in the headlights'-type moment, and it takes a second to catch up with what Ive already got going. >.< *shrugs*

Mystic is not a "face roll" char. Its got too much to think about.

-Don't cast petals, heals, or protection spells on your teammates when bb is down or cleric dc's (this happened waaaaay too often)

Do you play a Wizzy or something? For some reason they seem more self-protective than even squishy archers, is why I ask. b:chuckle

Is that really ultra-important?? Even if its seriously not-needed? o_0

Ive had very good Wizzy's constantly bug me for buffs and dedicated heals when there was seriously no need for it. Likewise, Ive had barbs that wouldnt stick around for Aegis Shield before starting a large long pull, even after agreeing that I was going to put in on them first. That is what it is. Can tolerate it and move forward beyond its insignificance, or let it ruin everyone's day. That's a personal choice attached to individual personalities. b:chuckle

In short don't be a myst if you're not flexible in your role.

Im flexible. Tell me what I shouldn't do, and why I shouldn't do it, and we should be good to go. Anyone should be good to go, as long as EVERYONE is flexible. Be an intolerant and demeaning task-master who is set in their long-time char ways, and you will achieve nothing beneficial from it anways.

Just think about it, did you learn most of what you know from having it drummed into you in a negative way; or, through actually hands-on experience? b:surrender
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Brilliance for the ''lvl 50 ress buff cost a lot of mp'' don't forget that lvl50 people (1-60) receive free charms everyday so it's not really a issue.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

edited July 2013
    Options
    Brilliance for the ''lvl 50 ress buff cost a lot of mp'' don't forget that lvl50 people (1-60) receive free charms everyday so it's not really a issue.

Thats a nice improvement Bella. I remember sweating out the time I had to meditate after giving everyone the buff, before I could really start the instance. b:surprised