Censor

2»

Comments

• Burnificator - Archosaur
    Burnificator - Archosaur Posts: 170 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The newest update fixed it. Mods can close the topic I guess.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Wizards - the only pyromaniac class.
  • Annalyse - Heavens Tear
    Annalyse - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,618 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The newest update fixed it. Mods can close the topic I guess.

Uh, did it break again then? Because I just got back from a holiday and was telling someone about my grapefruit soda and it was censored.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Annalyse (veno) - Melosa (cleric) - Glynneth (archer) - Pickerel (sin)
    Florafang (wiz) - RubixCube (barb) - Laravell (psy) - Diviah (Mystic)
    Torchwood (BM) - Sataea (Seeker) - Wystera (Sin) - Allissere (SB)

Looking for a mature faction on HT? pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=760842
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    Miugre - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Oh, grapes are a meme on HT now. :P Just mention the word grape in world chat.

That aside... my favorite name filter isn't even a censored word. A few months ago I made a wizzy. I originally intended this wizzy's name to include the word "Enigmatic" in it, but it told me I couldn't. For the life of me I couldn't figure out why, so I put in a ticket. Turns out, you can't use any word with "gm" in it.

Seriously, let that sink in. If your char's name contains the letters G and M, in that order, you can't use it.

There's such a thing as reasonable limits. But then, this game was never good at drawing the line on such things. >_>
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes, I'm still a stubborn holdout in favor of the old game. Haters gonna hate. ;]

Other Active Characters:
    LigerKing (Barb), Girasole (BM), Shamsheer (Sin), ArborSoul (Mystic).
  • Canis_Regis - Raging Tide
    Canis_Regis - Raging Tide Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    You thought a.s.s was ridiculous?
    Come on morai where if you say boss you see bo**
    Yes i know what it means in Germany and why it's censored, it still shouldn't do that on my ENGLISH client.

As for names of characters being censored. How about at the menu to create a character, don't allow those words? Censoring post-creation sucks.

Chat filter should just treat the chat written, not character names.
    something like :
    /start_censoring
    /ignore all characters until ":" is met
    /check from that string position to end for blacklisted words
    ....or start treating words like objects in programming, check for a whitelist, flag those, then check rest of words for matching blacklist
  • Joshcja - Sanctuary
    Joshcja - Sanctuary Posts: 3,502 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Spoon young grasshopper~
    Gifs are hard to make work here
  • Walpurga - Dreamweaver
    Walpurga - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,028 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Pretty sure Grapes was screwed again a few days ago. Poor guy doesn't deserve this b:sad.
    Channels

youtube .com/user/WallyPWS Active

youtube .com/user/tehnewblife Semi Inactive
    edited July 2013
    Uh, did it break again then? Because I just got back from a holiday and was telling someone about my grapefruit soda and it was censored.
    Indeed, take that back, it's broken again for no reason at all. Good job PWI!

(seriously, why bother fixing something only to revert it days later?)f:staref:staref:stare
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Neferhotep - Lost City
    Neferhotep - Lost City Posts: 276 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Come on morai where if you say boss you see bo**
    Yes i know what it means in Germany and why it's censored, it still shouldn't do that on my ENGLISH client.

Boss means in german boss as well..... I dont get it xD

Well, id prefer the possibility to report player names instead of banning them. Like you have an additional button you can use to report the character name only. The support team gets a list once in a week where reported people are written on and it should be pretty easy if you see the whole name if its forbidden or a regular word. Even if they get about 200 names per week reported it wouldnt take so long to see the sense behind a name. But of course thats something TS would be too busy to do :(

I understand its annyoing for people having broken names although they actually were harmless, but the filtering system is a good thing. It wont stop people being idiots in WC, but at least you dont have to read too much offensive words or names. I agree they should find a solution for those "broken" players but deleting those filters isnt a solution. If anyone played on a private Server before, they probably know what disguisting and brutal things can come out without it in names ...
    I like potatoes <(O~O)>
  • TheFire - Lost City
    TheFire - Lost City Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    just dont use the word GrassHopper and youll be fine b:victory
  • _SheeLah_ - Dreamweaver
    _SheeLah_ - Dreamweaver Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I remember a good while back when there were alot of names censored after an update. And of course with Grapes getting it back to back now.

What I really don't understand is all the vulgar names you can see on WorldChat and nothing gets done about those names, but someone has to wait around because he has GRAPES in his name to get fixed...yet again?
  • Joshcja - Sanctuary
    Joshcja - Sanctuary Posts: 3,502 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I remember a good while back when there were alot of names censored after an update. And of course with Grapes getting it back to back now.

What I really don't understand is all the vulgar names you can see on WorldChat and nothing gets done about those names, but someone has to wait around because he has GRAPES in his name to get fixed...yet again?

Sans deliberate misspelling/symbols to bypass filter havign a dirty name is not against ToS. But ya, the filter is just dumb sometimes.
    Gifs are hard to make work here
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013

A friend gave me a thank you for pointing out PWI on facebook as they needed to kill time on something. I had to pm them back and tell them how bad they treat some of their customers.

The fact that they still sell Arcane Book: Pet in the Boutique for 2 gold is also a good example of treating customers poorly. Another was the first big rank sale, and the +12 orb sale, and on and on. How can they pass judgement on scammer cat shops when they do stuff like this?
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
    edited July 2013
    Apparently, they Re-re-re-fixed it. Grapes are safe for now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Grelda - Dreamweaver
    Grelda - Dreamweaver Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Crazy idea, PWI. ZERO word censors.

Yeah, that's right. First of all, you guys shouldn't be responsible for that kind of thing. I'm talking about kids being exposed to cultural taboo such as certain words. You're not the parents of your player base. You're not supposed to be the ones coddling everyone. Put warnings up on your website instead.

Second of all, words are just words. They are a form of expression. The sole purpose of words, and any form of communication really is to convey a message to another being. The messages you don't want the players conveyed to others can still be conveyed without ANY of the censored words. Your job is to be objective in the matter, and not to give in to irrational cultural bias. Well, as much as you can on this side of the development team, at least. China can't help from being irrational and bigoted.

Third, your only legitimate censor, and I'm using the word 'legitimate' loosely is to censor the word "GM" from names. And ONLY then till you have a more reliable way of convincing everyone who is a real GM and who is a fake. That's it.

This is all IMO though. I have a feeling I'm gonna regret caring about the community this much.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2013

Yeah, that's right. First of all, you guys shouldn't be responsible for that kind of thing. I'm talking about kids being exposed to cultural taboo such as certain words. You're not the parents of your player base. You're not supposed to be the ones coddling everyone. Put warnings up on your website instead.

Second of all, words are just words. They are a form of expression. The sole purpose of words, and any form of communication really is to convey a message to another being. The messages you don't want the players conveyed to others can still be conveyed without ANY of the censored words. Your job is to be objective in the matter, and not to give in to irrational cultural bias. Well, as much as you can on this side of the development team, at least. China can't help from being irrational and bigoted.

Third, your only legitimate censor, and I'm using the word 'legitimate' loosely is to censor the word "GM" from names. And ONLY then till you have a more reliable way of convincing everyone who is a real GM and who is a fake. That's it.

This is all IMO though. I have a feeling I'm gonna regret caring about the community this much.

Whoa. Stop right here buddy. You're making too much sense. Hide before they find you. They don't like good ideas around here.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    Sakubatou - Sanctuary Posts: 4,001 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Couple of my favorites:

Saltwater as "sal****er"
    Wings of Protection short "WoP" was censored.
    Japan came out ***an
    cocktail was "****tail"

There used to be a vana boss that had a shout. Can't remember what it was but was censored in the middle of his speech.
    Seven 100+ characters leveled the hard way. Free to play. Mystic, Psychic, and Wizard left to level. b:victory
  • Kinnacat - Lost City
    Kinnacat - Lost City Posts: 229 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    But wait! It gets better!

http://i44.tinypic.com/2q0rq0w.jpg

Haha. xD Remember this one?

LoL_zpsa86f4f45.png

The thread where that ss was originally posted got deleted, but I saved it before that happened. b:laugh
  • MistaBwanden - Sanctuary
    MistaBwanden - Sanctuary Posts: 2,803 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Why not just do what other games do, have an option to ACTUALLY filter it as will. Save so many issues it's not even funny.
  • TheFire - Lost City
    TheFire - Lost City Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited July 2013

+1 here b:victory
  • Nalvaes - Raging Tide
    Nalvaes - Raging Tide Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    There's quite a few words the censor ruins because 3-4 letters are "inappropriate"

Grape and Grasshopper are some of the ones censored for this stupid reason b:shocked
    Chaos is an ally not something to avoid...After all, how can your foes stand up to you if they have no idea what your next move will be?

Gear and weapons may make strong opponents but even a strong foe can be felled by the right tactics...
  • Nalvaes - Raging Tide
    Nalvaes - Raging Tide Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Why not just do what other games do, have an option to ACTUALLY filter it as will. Save so many issues it's not even funny.

I second this!
    Chaos is an ally not something to avoid...After all, how can your foes stand up to you if they have no idea what your next move will be?

Gear and weapons may make strong opponents but even a strong foe can be felled by the right tactics...
  • Lesthar - Heavens Tear
    Lesthar - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,045 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    That one named his/her character on purpose, it had to end like this.
    That said, to make a QQ case out of this is plain terrible.

On the other hand, the higher ups should have controlled the community's behavior from the start, so that kind of mess (but also the way the world chat is going on) would never happen.

It's too awkward and too late for this filter to work, I guess. No need to have a debate from this.
    Maintenance time. Please choose a line:
    - When is it over? OMG I need my fix!! *super spazzing*
    - Fix the damn bugs, dammit! I'm so angry! I'll quit!!
    - New codes out there? I like free stuff~ *wink*
    - When will we get new content? QQ
    - Will we get sales? I got a ton of gold to spend.
    - I'm bored, I'll create a useless thread to annoy Opkorock.
    - *Incessant poking on Sweetiebot* Fun~