Is account/character transfer possible?

thegreatgargame
thegreatgargame Posts: 0 Arc User
edited July 2013 in General Discussion
First of all, as I understand it from the threads I've read about the subject, it's not possible (or at least hard and would require alot of work) to transfer an account/character from one server to another server if the two servers don't share the same name database, due to the way data is stored on the servers. Am I correct so far?

If that is the problem, isn't it possible for the GMs/Devs to access your account and make a record of your entire data on one server, from level, gear and items to finished/current quests and cultivation/skill levels etc? And if that is possible, can't they just take that data and apply it to another server by making new characters that are exact copys of what you had on your original server? Basically, can they create characters from scratch and make them whatever level they want, make them wear whatever gear they want etc?

Cause if they can, then I don't see why they won't offer us that option. Sure it would prolly take alot of annoying copy+pasting work from their side, but it don't have to be a super fast move. I for one would be happy to just see my Dreamweaver toons on Morai sometime in the future.

Responses from someone who know what they're talking about would be much appreciated, specially GM response *hint hint*.

And btw, please keep the "just reroll on Morai or GTFO" type of comments to yourself. It's getting old and a lot of people don't wanna give up on their toons they have spent time on since 2008.
Post edited by thegreatgargame on

Comments

• Angel_Spawn - Sanctuary
    Angel_Spawn - Sanctuary Posts: 3,034 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    *summons Sylen* he is an expert about this, would also want to go to EU server WITH ALL my stuff, not start from 0 which would be stupid, might as well quit. b:surrender
  • Crystabella - Heavens Tear
    Crystabella - Heavens Tear Posts: 204 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    This wouldn't really work as people would make their toon and gear up on the server with the cheapest gold/items and then transfer to the server of their choice.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • thegreatgargame
    edited July 2013
    This wouldn't really work as people would make their toon and gear up on the server with the cheapest gold/items and then transfer to the server of their choice.

I think it should be a one time thing only, possibly only US->EU server too cause that's where the main issue is. Could actually even be limited to people making their account before the original two EU servers came out, as most newer europeans should have started playing there.
    *summons Sylen*

Was kinda hoping for that too b:chuckle
  • Vinat - Sanctuary
    Vinat - Sanctuary Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    If they're going to make it available at all they would need to make it available to everyone equally with no European-only exception. There are plenty of people on PVE/PVP servers that would like to be on the opposite, and plenty of people tat would just like to see some fresh faces.

Some other games that I play have server transfers, others don't. I guess it all comes down to if it is reasonably doable and can turn a profit. If the answer is no in one or both cases then it's unlikely it'll ever happen here.
  • OIdpop - Heavens Tear
    OIdpop - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,052 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Yeah I would like to be transferred to a east last server instead of west
    This game is like washing hair with shampoo... Rinse and repeat if desired.
    Proud owner of many mains.101 bm,101 seeker,101 demon sin,100 sage sin,101 archer,101 barb,100 cleric,100 wiz( first toon since sept 08 finally made it in 2013)newly added mystic 100 HA,72 psy.
  • ApocaIypto - Dreamweaver
    ApocaIypto - Dreamweaver Posts: 585 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    it is doable. name databases can be a problem, but it can be solved. they should put a fee on it, when u want to transfer, like i dont know, 20 golds, think thats the average in other games, and maybe make it only once per month.

and to be honest, it became easier since pwcn put that npc that offer you to change name (npc is in our version but we dont have the item). it used to be a problem before, but china implemented name change because problems with database changes got fixed
  • Nariin - Dreamweaver
    Nariin - Dreamweaver Posts: 890 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I'd assume it's doable, but I can't imagine they would want to do this by hand and as a permanent addition. It would probably create a mess. I think 20g is too little, should make it like 100+, for those who really want to transfer with around 2 max attempts. Should work as making a "clone" of your character, but with different name, because of database; and then transfer the data to it. The old character would get locked and scheduled for deletion.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
    Want a custom faction/fav icon? Look no further! Visit my 👿 Icon Repository in the Fanatics Forum.
    ~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
    ^ but please, for the love of god, read the first page before making requests (UPDATED)
  • ShaiFatali - Lost City
    ShaiFatali - Lost City Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I originally picked Lost City because I thought it was the most active, but now with all the times events (ie NW), it would be lovely to switch to a server where I don't have to stay up until 2 am to participate. However, as has been said many, many times before, there are technical reasons this is very difficult and we shouldn't expect this functionality any time soon, if ever.

If they get SvS NW working, then I can't see why they wouldn't add server transfers, other than perhaps imbalance in the economies.
    A prima luce usque ad lucem

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

vive, pugnare aut mori.
  • Jadsia - Lost City
    Jadsia - Lost City Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Transferring data from one database to another is something that is done every day. There are ways to do this using alias ID techniques however as someone mentioned it could lead to all kinds of abuse with a potential to cause in-game instability with the economies and faction power structures and what not. Imagine if the devs ever did get server v server NW going. Would we want the strongest OP chars on every server transferring to a single server where they would have huge advantages over the others? Would we want the wealthiest of each server transferring to a single server? There are always unintended consequences to take into consideration and nefarious people looking to exploit them.

I believe there would be server mergers long before allowing players to transfer between servers.
    I **** bigger than you...

Shut up and play the game.....Damn
  • thegreatgargame
    edited July 2013
    Transferring data from one database to another is something that is done every day. There are ways to do this using alias ID techniques however as someone mentioned it could lead to all kinds of abuse with a potential to cause in-game instability with the economies and faction power structures and what not. Imagine if the devs ever did get server v server NW going. Would we want the strongest OP chars on every server transferring to a single server where they would have huge advantages over the others? Would we want the wealthiest of each server transferring to a single server? There are always unintended consequences to take into consideration and nefarious people looking to exploit them.

I believe there would be server mergers long before allowing players to transfer between servers.

Well, that's the reason I think it should be a one time thing only and maybe only apply for people who wanna move to Morai. I know that might seem unfair, but the only thing I'm really interested in "fixing" by this suggestion is to make more EU players able to do NW without loosing years of work by starting over. And it would minimize the damage it can do to other servers. Unless the European population on all US servers is so huge that the US servers will be a graveyard afterwards. But then again, if that was really the case they should move one of the current NW time slots.

On a 2nd note, even if we get SvS wars I bet Morai will be excluded. It's the only server hosted in Europe and runs on a completely different schedule then the US servers. Any American willing to do NW at 11 am or 2pm just to let Morai do SvS wars at 8pm? (I bet there are some who wouldn't mind, but I have a feeling we would still see a bazillion people crying)
  • Reliea - Sanctuary
    Reliea - Sanctuary Posts: 685 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Sure it would prolly take alot of annoying copy+pasting work from their side, but it don't have to be a super fast move.
    That right there would be a very good reason why they won't do it that way.
    There would most likely be a lot of people who would want this service, so this technique is impractical.

Also there would never be a European only (US server to Morai server) exception, because that would be severely unreasonable. If such a server move was possible, it would be available to everyone on its launch. Not only Europeans want this kind of service.

From a player happiness level, they should be working on a method for character transfer, but from a financial perspective they would much rather you make a new character on a new server instead of being able to transfer one, so who knows if/when we will get such a service.