Need advice to improve my BM

Liveena - Heavens Tear
Liveena - Heavens Tear Posts: 422 Arc User
edited July 2013 in Blademaster
My current build, demon BM :

http://www.pwcalc.com/99292fc8d6933028

My plan :
- restat by putting vit into str and trying to maintain 10k hp, I might do this after I can put more ref on armor
- For the warsong belt, should I make it s3 or just ref it to +10?
- Shard to put on cape, was thinking to put attk/def lvl stones but not sure which one.
- For the rings, would sky cover do or I should go with rank ring (Currently planning to make my seeker R9).
Heaven Tear

Liveena 102/102/102 Demon Cleric
Milfeena 103/102 Demon BM
Silpheena 104/103/102 Sage R9S3 Seeker
Cieleena 101/101/101 Sage Stormbringer
Post edited by Liveena - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Walpurga - Dreamweaver
    Walpurga - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,028 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    My current build, demon BM :

http://www.pwcalc.com/99292fc8d6933028

Put on self buffs in calc lol

My plan :
    - restat by putting vit into str and trying to maintain 10k hp, I might do this after I can put more ref on armor

Why is your vit not already 3? You do not need 10K HP to tank as a BM. Also, by restatting 43 vit you lose a glorious 677 HP lol

- For the warsong belt, should I make it s3 or just ref it to +10?

is your BM your main?

- Shard to put on cape, was thinking to put attk/def lvl stones but not sure which one.

Refer to what TheDan said about shards in his guide. I suggest DoTs or Deity Stones only in your PvE APS set. Full G16 is clearly not APS set

- For the rings, would sky cover do or I should go with rank ring (Currently planning to make my seeker R9).

Sky Cover > any rank ring except R9 ring

You got an APS set to show too? Since PVP won't be the only thing you do.

I also would have rerolled pants for more ele.res

otherwise that's a nice build
    Channels

youtube .com/user/WallyPWS Active

youtube .com/user/tehnewblife Semi Inactive
  • Mad_Doc - Sanctuary
    Mad_Doc - Sanctuary Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Can you get r9r3 or not? if not ,then your first priority as a bm has to be refining your armor to the highest you can get them. Forget sharding, accessories, etc... get that armor up in refines. Your current hp is a 1 shot by default. Once you get your armor to at least all +10 (better if +12), then you can work on your ornaments. Then finally get your axe to either have defense lvl (rank 8 recast axe) for survivability and/or advanced zerk axes for pvping. If those armor becomes +12 with vit stones, with barb buff you'll have about 30k hp.
  • Liveena - Heavens Tear
    edited June 2013
    b:laugh Well, I made this BM like two years ago and yes, its my main. I was following old guide thus the vit build.

Here's my aps gear
    http://www.pwcalc.com/fbf4679a6fe06a45

4.0 aps demon sparked but I can have 5.0 when I'm using s1 lunar claw.
    For the 10k HP, it just makes me feel safer after I agroed an entire mob pull during lunar/warsong b:laugh.

Well, I'm going with Mad_Doc with higher refine on gears.
    Going to restat after I buy demon HF book. b:surrender
    Heaven Tear

• Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    Sakubatou - Sanctuary Posts: 4,001 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Can you get r9r3 or not? if not ,then your first priority as a bm has to be refining your armor to the highest you can get them. Forget sharding, accessories, etc... get that armor up in refines. Your current hp is a 1 shot by default. Once you get your armor to at least all +10 (better if +12), then you can work on your ornaments. Then finally get your axe to either have defense lvl (rank 8 recast axe) for survivability and/or advanced zerk axes for pvping. If those armor becomes +12 with vit stones, with barb buff you'll have about 30k hp.

I disagree with this statement. I usually keep my ornaments equal or higher refines than my armor. 10k hp is great but its nothing if you're taking 40% more damage than an 8k hp bm. Plus, marrows are our bread and butter so its like we get 120% extra for each refine from mag marrow and 195% extra for each bit of pdef we get (75% bell +120% p marrow). We also use paint for the bulk of our heals and when we compare having a little bit more hp to having a little bit more defense, its much easier to replace hp when you aren't losing as much because you've refined your ornaments. And depending on your aps swap having high refined ornies while using aps gear makes up for the lower grade.

Bottom line is its better to lose less hp than to have more hp and have it fall off you like butter.

To OP: The build looks good. Not crazy about the axes, added dex and accuracy are always nice but not really ideal adds on a 200 dex bm. Would go for either damage adds or survivability but your call. Hard to switch once you've +10d them but that would be an awesome axe for a vit barb so you might find one to trade.

I agree with Walpurga on rerolling the pants for ele defense. That really is the best perk to the G16 set is the % defense adds and with nice ornaments like that a +9-10% add can go far.

I personally would be farming the G16 warsong belt if I didn't plan on going r9. Its not as price-efficient as just refining, but its more endgame and if you decide to upgrade to G16 later you'd lose all those refines you put on it.

Balance your stats, obviously. Don't forget to get your necklace engraved first so you can plan those in, and have your G16s set. Magic can go to 3 and dex should land on a multiple of 20.

There are debates on what the most efficient sharding is. The better the gem, the less cost efficient it is, ie 530 coin for the +5 hp shabby citrine would be equivilant to getting a +33019 hp perfect citrine for 3.5m. I myself never went above flawless gems until my endgame pieces because of this. So lets say you have 18 shards available. At 3.5m thats 63m for your 18 perf citrines and 1116 hp and it uses all your available spots and its really not "endgame" which means eventually you'll want to reshard and get rid of those and its 63m down the drain. Its a personal debate depending on how long you think you'll have those citrines and if you have a better way to spend 63m but I tend to shard the flawless citrines for about 100k, get 40 out of 62 hp and save 3.4m to put towards vit stones, G11 sapphires, and JoSDs.

+2 atk vs +2 def is still a hot debate. I personally am going 3 vit gems, 2 JoSD, and 1 Sapphire. My job is to survive long enough to control the fights with my stuns/seals and getting inside past archer and caster range means survivability. Thats my two cents.

Sky Cover is an awesome ring and stashable. Its even better than r9 for phys damage, but not the NW r9 ring.
    Seven 100+ characters leveled the hard way. Free to play. Mystic, Psychic, and Wizard left to level. b:victory
  • Joshcja - Sanctuary
    Joshcja - Sanctuary Posts: 3,502 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I disagree with this statement. I usually keep my ornaments equal or higher refines than my armor. 10k hp is great but its nothing if you're taking 40% more damage than an 8k hp bm. Plus, marrows are our bread and butter so its like we get 120% extra for each refine from mag marrow and 195% extra for each bit of pdef we get (75% bell +120% p marrow). We also use paint for the bulk of our heals and when we compare having a little bit more hp to having a little bit more defense, its much easier to replace hp when you aren't losing as much because you've refined your ornaments. And depending on your aps swap having high refined ornies while using aps gear makes up for the lower grade.

Bottom line is its better to lose less hp than to have more hp and have it fall off you like butter.

To OP: The build looks good. Not crazy about the axes, added dex and accuracy are always nice but not really ideal adds on a 200 dex bm. Would go for either damage adds or survivability but your call. Hard to switch once you've +10d them but that would be an awesome axe for a vit barb so you might find one to trade.

I agree with Walpurga on rerolling the pants for ele defense. That really is the best perk to the G16 set is the % defense adds and with nice ornaments like that a +9-10% add can go far.

I personally would be farming the G16 warsong belt if I didn't plan on going r9. Its not as price-efficient as just refining, but its more endgame and if you decide to upgrade to G16 later you'd lose all those refines you put on it.

Balance your stats, obviously. Don't forget to get your necklace engraved first so you can plan those in, and have your G16s set. Magic can go to 3 and dex should land on a multiple of 20.

There are debates on what the most efficient sharding is. The better the gem, the less cost efficient it is, ie 530 coin for the +5 hp shabby citrine would be equivilant to getting a +33019 hp perfect citrine for 3.5m. I myself never went above flawless gems until my endgame pieces because of this. So lets say you have 18 shards available. At 3.5m thats 63m for your 18 perf citrines and 1116 hp and it uses all your available spots and its really not "endgame" which means eventually you'll want to reshard and get rid of those and its 63m down the drain. Its a personal debate depending on how long you think you'll have those citrines and if you have a better way to spend 63m but I tend to shard the flawless citrines for about 100k, get 40 out of 62 hp and save 3.4m to put towards vit stones, G11 sapphires, and JoSDs.

+2 atk vs +2 def is still a hot debate. I personally am going 3 vit gems, 2 JoSD, and 1 Sapphire. My job is to survive long enough to control the fights with my stuns/seals and getting inside past archer and caster range means survivability. Thats my two cents.

Sky Cover is an awesome ring and stashable. Its even better than r9 for phys damage, but not the NW r9 ring.

NW stars destiny gives an absolute crapton of def with similar damage to R9 NW
    Gifs are hard to make work here
  • Mad_Doc - Sanctuary
    edited June 2013
    Magic defense will only protect you so far. If you were unbuffed then I would be inclined to say you should work on your ornaments. However, people usually do instances and other things buffed most of the time. your current ornaments may not be the best it can, but you need to prioritize. Working to recast your pants, doing ornaments, restating, etc...is way too many things to balance at once. You will get lost if you try to chase everything around. Focus on 1 thing and do it well. Then move on to the next thing. This is the only way you can save money. If you leave your ornaments alone you'll have 78% elemental defense fully buffed vs 82% with +10 neck and +10 belt with bm demon marrow. How important that 4% to you is entirely up to your play style. For me it's not worth as much as increasing that hp of yours from 10k to 30k and get yourself 200% more survivability.

When I was still playing, I played an r9 bm and r9 wiz for a while. Being focused was the only way to survive end game pvp. To win this game you must think like an asian. They work their butts off and saved every coin they make. Then when Black Friday comes around, you see them walking out with huge TVs, consols, computers, and a brand new Lexus (because everything is on major sale) while other people drive their little Corolla and watch their small tvs because it's just "good enough". Stash your money and find the opportune moment to jump on a huge sale, make tons of money, and get your gear in order.
  • Jaabg - Sanctuary
    Jaabg - Sanctuary Posts: 2,256 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    First off, get back into playing pwi. Once you do, you'll see what your money source is.

Is it farming? Which instance do you farm, 2x and non 2x? Is it tt? TT = aps, is it lunar, lunar = aps+pvp, is it warsong = aps + pvp, lunar and warsong depend on if you pull or not and who is with you.

Are you merching? Yes? What do you prefer playing in pwi, nw, tw more than the pve, in that case focus on your pvp set. If you enjoy pve more, focus on your aps set more.

Are you charging gold to get money? see the same as merching, put the money in the set that you enjoy.

After you run up against r9 3rd cast people, you will see what you need more of, hp, def, better refines, better gear.

All that is dependent on you getting back into playing pwi regularly to see what you want to do.
  • Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    edited June 2013
    If you leave your ornaments alone you'll have 78% elemental defense fully buffed vs 82% with +10 neck and +10 belt with bm demon marrow. How important that 4% to you is entirely up to your play style. For me it's not worth as much as increasing that hp of yours from 10k to 30k and get yourself 200% more survivability.

Lol, show me which 2 pieces of G16 armor you can refine to get 20k hp, lol.

More realistically jumping from his +6 refines to +10 refines means 1800 more hp. For the ornaments, going from 78% to 82% damage reduction means you are going from taking 22% damage to taking 18% damage. That's an 18% difference in damage you take. Meaning instead of being hit for 3000 by a magic attack he'd be hit for 2460. A few of these in a row while pking a caster adds up very quickly. In the meantime, your 1800 hp difference would be gone in 1 hit and would be slow to replace once its gone.

Obviously, hp has its benefits. Refining the magic ornies does nothing against physical attacks but more hp just means larger charm ticks without reducing any damage at all (more hp, but also receiving more damage). That's why I suggested a more balanced approach.

We can go back to cost effectiveness. I break it up into below +7 and above +7. Many people use refine aids, not orbs to get to +5/6 and some 7/8 but it becomes more costly each step. +1 is easy and averages 15k but doesn't give much gain. +6 probably averages around 7 mil but gives more gain, +7 is something like 15m, and +8 24m average (with mirages and refine aids, not orbs). I'd have to look up exact numbers but its something like that. +8, +9, and +10 all cost ocean orbs and would average about or more than an ocean orb so ocean orbs are used for all of them. Same price, but gains in return. So until +7 its more efficient to refine your gear together. At +8-10 its best to refine one piece up at a time ie +7 everything then make the helm +10 before anything else is +8.

As stated before you get benefits from refining both armor and ornies in different ways and both are good. I like to solo farm and don't like wasting alot of money on charm costs or hp food, so its better for me to take less damage. That way an hp food goes farther and paint can replace what is lost more effectively. If you have a cleric healing you or don't mind larger charm/hp food costs then armor refines are the way to go because hp pools work for both phys and magic damage.
    Seven 100+ characters leveled the hard way. Free to play. Mystic, Psychic, and Wizard left to level. b:victory
  • Joshcja - Sanctuary
    edited June 2013
    get back to 5 apc sparked for farming (I have no idea why your not using R8R chest + tt99 wrists/belt)

get claws to +10

upgrade rings/neck

No point going for any upgrades to a "pvp" set untill you can actually afford pvp gear
  • Mad_Doc - Sanctuary
    edited June 2013
    Lol, show me which 2 pieces of G16 armor you can refine to get 20k hp, lol.

More realistically jumping from his +6 refines to +10 refines means 1800 more hp. For the ornaments, going from 78% to 82% damage reduction means you are going from taking 22% damage to taking 18% damage. That's an 18% difference in damage you take. Meaning instead of being hit for 3000 by a magic attack he'd be hit for 2460. A few of these in a row while pking a caster adds up very quickly. In the meantime, your 1800 hp difference would be gone in 1 hit and would be slow to replace once its gone.

Wait what? How did you go from getting 22% dmg to 18% dmg taken and somehow get a 18% dmg reduction?? I thought that 22%-18%= 4%... Right now he's a one shot with that poor hp. His charm won't tick cause he will be dead if a boss decides to turn on him without any cleric back up. Even with a cleric he may not survive.

Anyway as the poster above me stated, if you haven't gotten your aps to 5.0 yet, then you should get that first. I had assumed you had aps gear due to you stating dex and having the tome for it. Get your farming gear in order first so you can solo instances for money. The point of all the stating and refining is being able to solo any boss with aps. If your HP is too low for that or if your mdef is too low, then you need to fix that. Of course this is all moot if you decide to charge a card.
  • Joshcja - Sanctuary
    edited June 2013
    Wait what? How did you go from getting 22% dmg to 18% dmg taken and somehow get a 18% dmg reduction?? I thought that 22%-18%= 4%... Right now he's a one shot with that poor hp. His charm won't tick cause he will be dead if a boss decides to turn on him without any cleric back up. Even with a cleric he may not survive.

Anyway as the poster above me stated, if you haven't gotten your aps to 5.0 yet, then you should get that first. I had assumed you had aps gear due to you stating dex and having the tome for it. Get your farming gear in order first so you can solo instances for money. The point of all the stating and refining is being able to solo any boss with aps. If your HP is too low for that or if your mdef is too low, then you need to fix that. Of course this is all moot if you decide to charge a card.

.18/.22 = .818 damage taken or an 18% reduction going from 22% to 18%

HP/Mdef are interchangeable when boss soloing since your only soaking 1 spike hit every 10 seconds, the main stats for that are phys def/phys damage

I didnt know bosses suddenly hit for 15k+ on mag hits (mag reduction charms ftw?)

In this case its just cheaper to go mag def since you'd need to +10 on a few armor peices to match the m def gain on one g 14+ mag necklace at +10.
  • Mad_Doc - Sanctuary
    edited June 2013
    Them's some mighty weird math you be doing thar. % of a % is a rather weird way of looking at things. I just want the total number of dmg dealt.

Boss doesn't only do 1 spike dmg every 10 seconds, there is also the regular damage. He'll be a one shot if he gets purged and/or his hp is close to 1/2 when the spike dmg goes off.

Anyways, the whole thing is based on how the guy plays and what his starting point in terms of all the gears available and money he has. Without knowing that, our discussion is rather moot.
  • Liveena - Heavens Tear
    edited June 2013
    Well, I mostly do Pve stuff and PvP during TW and NW.

For farming, I mostly solo tt, ff and selling br, lunar runs and warsong runs. For tt and ff I can use my 5 aps set. I mostly used my G16 for lunar/warsong and TW/NW.

Reason I don't go with r8r is the cost for reroll to get -int stat on it (I prefer spending coins on something else rather than a fail reroll).

What I'm trying to do is:

For PvE: to get reasonable phys/ele. def and damage reduction and high damage so I can hold agro over large number of mobs and survive it (my opening HF tends to steal agro from barbs).

For PvP : Avoid getting 1 shotted during mass pvp by psy/wizzy/arch.
    Heaven Tear

• Mad_Doc - Sanctuary
    edited June 2013
    Well, I mostly do Pve stuff and PvP during TW and NW.

For farming, I mostly solo tt, ff and selling br, lunar runs and warsong runs. For tt and ff I can use my 5 aps set. I mostly used my G16 for lunar/warsong and TW/NW.

Reason I don't go with r8r is the cost for reroll to get -int stat on it (I prefer spending coins on something else rather than a fail reroll).

What I'm trying to do is:

For PvE: to get reasonable phys/ele. def and damage reduction and high damage so I can hold agro over large number of mobs and survive it (my opening HF tends to steal agro from barbs).

For PvP : Avoid getting 1 shotted during mass pvp by psy/wizzy/arch.

So you are already 5.0 and can solo farm so that's good. If you want reasonable phys/element then may as well upgrade your ornaments as right now your phys > element. You want damage reduction and also high damage, but that will cost you. The best damage reduction for pve and pvp are JOSDs followed by vit stones. While the highest damage for aoe will be the r9 recast axe because of the advanced zerk. It will take you about 1 year of pure farming or about 6 months with farming + merchanting to get those gears and the proper refines.
  • Walpurga - Dreamweaver
    edited June 2013
    I will never understand the aps gear set you have. Just to get that cube neck you actually lose more defense due to using a tt99 HA chest

http://www.pwcalc.com/5a05213741219d64 instead, for example. Put on demon magic marrow, get yourself demon bell (and spam it at bosses, solo and group, of course!), same ele. res when m.marrow, better p.res, more HP if you refine the tt99 boots to equivalent level and finish sharding p. citrines. Personally I'd just go LA tt99 feet/arms, HA orns and 5aps because that's 25% extra paint heals and chi per second.
    Channels

• Sylvae - Sanctuary
    Sylvae - Sanctuary Posts: 1,018 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Them's some mighty weird math you be doing thar. % of a % is a rather weird way of looking at things. I just want the total number of dmg dealt.

Boss doesn't only do 1 spike dmg every 10 seconds, there is also the regular damage. He'll be a one shot if he gets purged and/or his hp is close to 1/2 when the spike dmg goes off.

Anyways, the whole thing is based on how the guy plays and what his starting point in terms of all the gears available and money he has. Without knowing that, our discussion is rather moot.

That's the type of math an APS BM MUST do to figure out what they should build towards. Granted BM math spam happened a while ago, but it is still the basis for determining best sharding and refining. After all, it was a BM and honorary BM who figured out DoD was better than vit stones in the end useing such math in the first place.

To combat the seeming diminishing returns from higher mag/phys def boosts, you have to figure out the actual effect it has; which means dividing your health by the remainder of the damage actually taken. All Saku did by putting the two values against eachother, was removing the common variable of health from the mix. Which would basically be from a different formula to determine the exact health point switching from one set to the other is most beneficial. But when talking about meta-game endgame, really killed the use of that since it is so weighted towards the more end game series than ever.

Hennessy rocks.
  • Jaabg - Sanctuary
    Jaabg - Sanctuary Posts: 2,256 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Personal play styles, i hate spamming bell for the pdef bonus at bosses. I do it before a fight, because that is the point when the tank is most vulnerable, after sparking things are fine.

There are only a few bosses that purge, and most of them are predictable. Only the doggy versions are mean if they do it one after the other. The ws boss purge can be timed, lunar boss purge can be timed.

Using marrows in boss fights is very risky if you are not using mdef/pdef charms. A simple 2k hit translates to 8k in the wrong marrow at times.

On reason to switch to r8r chest when possible, http://www.pwcalc.com/5f0ed6ee93c3743d. It allows you to use a warsong belt. Depending on the stats you get, you can get decent adds on boots and decent stats on chest piece as well. HP boost is 1442 hp+stats on your chest+stats on your boots.

The loss in attack can be made up from the str gained depending on the stats. That puts you at nearly 14.5k hp in aps set with lvl 10 barb buffs. This means you won't need charm to tank things, can take the big hits to.
  • masstermind
    masstermind Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    ummm...a nab like question, can any one tell me how much it average costs to get a refine of level +7 with aid and orbs? just a rough calculation..and m not a cash shopper, rather a very poor fella! so cheapest way to refine is highly accepted. again i am saying, i am a nab in the case of refining. so if a link of how to refine sucessfuly w/o orbs is present i would like to go through.

Level 100 BM with merely +2 refine, regicide +5, 5 aps sparked (no tome), stil using TT90 plate and Helm!

**Ingame PM form pros are highly appreciated, need few tips**
    b:surrender b:thanks

p.s: which is better? +5 Regicide +2x25 attck(3.33 aps base) or g16 claw +3, no int.
  • Viktorian - Archosaur
    Viktorian - Archosaur Posts: 746 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    @masstermind
    that would depend on ur servers economy
    ik on mine it can cost upwards of 30mil
    Servers: Archosaur(PvE US West) and Harshlands (PvP US East)
    Chars: Viktorian(100 2Rb Celestial Demon BM) PurpleHealz (100 Celestial Sage Cleric) DagsAway (95 Assassin)
    [SIGPIC][/Sigpic]
  • Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    edited July 2013
    ummm...a nab like question, can any one tell me how much it average costs to get a refine of level +7 with aid and orbs? just a rough calculation..and m not a cash shopper, rather a very poor fella! so cheapest way to refine is highly accepted. again i am saying, i am a nab in the case of refining. so if a link of how to refine sucessfuly w/o orbs is present i would like to go through.

Level 100 BM with merely +2 refine, regicide +5, 5 aps sparked (no tome), stil using TT90 plate and Helm!

**Ingame PM form pros are highly appreciated, need few tips**
    b:surrender b:thanks

p.s: which is better? +5 Regicide +2x25 attck(3.33 aps base) or g16 claw +3, no int.

On my server (Sanctuary) you can have 3 options:

1. Buy 215 d-orbs for around 21m, combine them into a 7* or just buy the 7 star for 21-24m.
    2. Pay someone to refine it for you for about 20m
    3. Cheapest option, for those who aren't lazy, It'd probably take 15-25 refine aids (from Event Shop) and 800-1200 mirages. +1-3, just mirages, +4-5 use Tienkang, +6-8 use Tisha. Above 8 I'd orb. There are excel programs to show you odds and predicted costs but I'd guess around 12m to do it by yourself. Could be way more or way less. I've +8 with 4 aids and 11 mirages. I've also spent 1400 mirages and 30 aids and failed to +6. Unpredicatable but 12m average is my guess.
  • _RIYUKI_ - Dreamweaver
    _RIYUKI_ - Dreamweaver Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    ty saka..and wbu my question abt g13 regi +5 or g16 no int claw? still in a dilema..need views.b:thanks
    You Mess With The Best
    You Die Like The Rest!
  • Walpurga - Dreamweaver
    edited July 2013
    ty saka..and wbu my question abt g13 regi +5 or g16 no int claw? still in a dilema..need views.b:thanks

Use G13 till you get a pan gu tome, several EOO, enough badges to reroll your claws several times after making

then upgrade to G16
    Channels