Censor

pennywise29
pennywise29 Posts: 36 Arc User
edited July 2013 in General Discussion
Could someone somewhere fix the "Censor". Every time I go to PM a faction mate named Grapes(not his full name) I can't because the "Censor" does this: G****s

and

when trying to invite him into squad it has to be done manually. He is planning on leave PWI because he's not getting a reply's from his tickets. If this is happening to him, I know for a fact it is happening to others with letter combos within a name that the "Censor" is **** up.

I am tired of seeing good people leave PWI because of what is or is not being done. SO someone please fix that "Censor".

Thanks
Post edited by pennywise29 on

Comments

• CapnK - Sanctuary
    CapnK - Sanctuary Posts: 1,166 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    But wait! It gets better!

http://i44.tinypic.com/2q0rq0w.jpg
  • AlysonRose - Heavens Tear
    AlysonRose - Heavens Tear Posts: 624 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    It took me longer than it should have to see the point of that picture. But when I did I lmao b:laugh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    f:sneakyf:sneakyf:sneaky
  • Sizzer - Raging Tide
    Sizzer - Raging Tide Posts: 2,387 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    While making a new character users should try to avoid the use of inappropriate names.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dream a dream of a life so new, One brimming with potential,
    Of starting again, leaving all behind, Only happiness is essential. b:victory
    Thanks Silvy for the siggy, You are the best ! b:kiss
  • Angel_Spawn - Sanctuary
    Angel_Spawn - Sanctuary Posts: 3,034 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The censor filter is stupid, people will always be abbe to bypass it, either with a space between letters or other means, all it does is annoy people who have pretty normal names.
  • Sizzer - Raging Tide
    Sizzer - Raging Tide Posts: 2,387 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Profanity filter dodging and filtered words/statements with clear vulgar intent will also be considered outright violations. I guess this rule is applied on "Character Names" also, So peeps be careful while choosing your name. b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dream a dream of a life so new, One brimming with potential,
    Of starting again, leaving all behind, Only happiness is essential. b:victory
    Thanks Silvy for the siggy, You are the best ! b:kiss
  • Too - Dreamweaver
    Too - Dreamweaver Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The name censored has the word G R A P E in it. Hardly an attempt to bypass any filter. And has totally ruined the persons ability to play. He can't be pm'd, form or get invited to squads.
  • Wickedbrew - Raging Tide
    Wickedbrew - Raging Tide Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The name censored has the word G R A P E in it. Hardly an attempt to bypass any filter. And has totally ruined the persons ability to play. He can't be pm'd, form or get invited to squads.

Can't have grape without r.ape.

While I agree some of the filtering is a bit over the top, one must be cognizant of the game filters when making a character name.
    WeBeKinky Leader - lvl 10x psychic

If you don't like my attitude, you should realize I don't care.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    It's strange what desire will make foolish people do.
  • Annalyse - Heavens Tear
    Annalyse - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,618 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Being careful while choosing your name has nothing to do with this. These are people who made their names long in the past, and when they made them the name was accepted because the filter was different. Not only that, they are only suffering because the word in their name happens to have another word within it.... they did not specifically use bad language in their names. How is Grape a bad word? And how are you supposed to know what they might add to the filter in the future, to make sure that isn't contained within your name?

They should just leave the filter as it was on day 1 so that people don't keep having this issue. It isn't helping keep chat clean (far too easy to circumvent) and names can always be reported if they are rude.

The bottom line is, if people want to say a certain word they will find a way to say it. The censor is useless. So they need to just leave it be and stop messing around because it only wrecks things for innocent players.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Annalyse (veno) - Melosa (cleric) - Glynneth (archer) - Pickerel (sin)
    Florafang (wiz) - RubixCube (barb) - Laravell (psy) - Diviah (Mystic)
    Torchwood (BM) - Sataea (Seeker) - Wystera (Sin) - Allissere (SB)

Looking for a mature faction on HT? pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=760842
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Canola is still often called r a p e. Even listed as an ingredient in the peanut butter at Freshen's (r a p e s e e d oil).
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • Wickedbrew - Raging Tide
    Wickedbrew - Raging Tide Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Being careful while choosing your name has nothing to do with this. These are people who made their names long in the past, and when they made them the name was accepted because the filter was different. Not only that, they are only suffering because the word in their name happens to have another word within it.... they did not specifically use bad language in their names. How is Grape a bad word? And how are you supposed to know what they might add to the filter in the future, to make sure that isn't contained within your name?

They should just leave the filter as it was on day 1 so that people don't keep having this issue. It isn't helping keep chat clean (far too easy to circumvent) and names can always be reported if they are rude.

The bottom line is, if people want to say a certain word they will find a way to say it. The censor is useless. So they need to just leave it be and stop messing around because it only wrecks things for innocent players.

Wow, I stand corrected and admit when I'm wrong. I didn't realize they changed the filter. What a crock.

Yeah, in that case PW creates yet another debacle that punishes innocent players because of the idiots circumventing the system so they can look "cool" spewing forth profanity.
    WeBeKinky Leader - lvl 10x psychic

If you don't like my attitude, you should realize I don't care.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    It's strange what desire will make foolish people do.
  • Kittennice - Heavens Tear
    Kittennice - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    If Grapes is a bad word, don't say Banana
    The VenoX: Heavy Pure Melee (Axe User with a hint of magic) Venomancer and Proud
    Having fun since lv1
    5 more levels baby!
    ^_____^
    {=^.^=} < I'll never give up. Never give in. )

I'm for The Cursed!
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=656132
  • tweakz
    edited June 2013
    I used to have a Ca****st terror. -lol
  • pennywise29
    pennywise29 Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Just for those who think that this is some newly chosen name. My faction mate has had that name for over 4 years. Grapes.

Add now the hassle having a name that is now G****s, the problems it causes in game, the fact that no one can PM him as an Officer in the faction or now invite him through regular use of party invite that it must be done manually... it is yet ANOTHER DROP IN "HIS" BUCKET of multiple frustrations that PWI has caused every time a new patch gets installed with all kinds of ways to milk more cash out of players.

I can guarantee that if his problem was with the new Meridian system, or with transferring Zen, or with the Cash Shop Auction House it would be fixed within hours. He and I have both had that experience. However, why is it that he can't even get a reply from 4 tickets sent in and is on the verge of quitting.

PWI seems to care so little that poor Grapes who has been a R-9 player for some time is ignored? Does PWI care so little that time is spent on developing new ways to milk more dollars out of long time players, making it now IMPOSSIBLE for any "FREE TO PLAY" play to have a hope in hell of ever catching up?

Just l;ook at what they did to Abandon and Seat of Torment. I like the new look and the fix, only one small problem, now squad with less than 10 members will have a damn near impossible time completing it unless everyone has extremely high rated gear.

We can not afford to lose more R-9 players who walked away from this game because of PWI's poor track recorded at fixing what is not broken and ignoring stuff that is. There are bugs that are nearly 5 years old still not addressed.

Plus anyone new coming into game who get speed leveled by PWI's own quest lines, soon realize that spending just a couple of $$ won;t cut it any more. Now we're into Big Bucks unless you want to turn the game into a job and spend a couple of years trying to farm for high ranking gear.

PWI's new player re-tension sucks. Just ask any large TW faction trying to build up membership of 1/2 decently geared players.

So a simple thing like a long time player's name or even a reply to their tickets should always be at the top of PWI's list to not only acknowledge, but to fix.
  • ovenusarmanio
    ovenusarmanio Posts: 6,695 Community Moderator
    edited June 2013
    However, why is it that he can't even get a reply from 4 tickets sent in and is on the verge of quitting.

It is exactly because he sent in a ticket 4 times that he hasn't gotten a reply. He needs to be patient and wait in line like everyone else. They don't reply to tickets on weekends, and every time you send in a new ticket you get bumped to the back of the line. That has always been the policy. I'll poke the GMs about the censor list, but it's not likely they'd have an emergency maintenance to fix it. They didn't the last time it got broke.

kritty%20sig_zpsp0y7ttsb.png
    Thanks to MikoTenshi for the Avi and Kritty for the Signature.
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • tweakz
    edited June 2013
    Automated censoring is stupid. I agree this is a bad move on their part, especially since you find r a p e as an ingredient in many products! Are they going to censor images of ingredient labels also? I understand that someone on HT has "g r a p e k i t" in their name minus the g, but seriously this is harsh punishment for even someone who's guilty. I'm not even a fan of them but sheesh.
  • Mitachi - Dreamweaver
    Mitachi - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,201 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    While making a new character users should try to avoid the use of inappropriate names.

Yes cause Grapes is SO INAPPROPRIATE ZOMG! b:bye
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Yes cause Grapes is SO INAPPROPRIATE ZOMG! b:bye

Grape is nothing compared to trapezoid or wristwatch.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • Mraochan - Lost City
    Mraochan - Lost City Posts: 464 Arc User
    edited June 2013

b:laugh

I recall, years ago, there was a particularly horrible update to the censor system. I have a large family of alts that share the last name Yakumo. Needless to say they were not seen until it was fixed.
  • Oliiander - Lost City
    Oliiander - Lost City Posts: 393 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Can't say scrape x.x
    My squishiness is (Usually) unrivaled.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Finally decided to give Olii her own banner.b:chuckle
  • Mitachi - Dreamweaver
    Mitachi - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,201 Arc User
    edited June 2013

b:chuckle b:chuckle b:chuckle
  • Burnificator - Archosaur
    Burnificator - Archosaur Posts: 170 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    As far as I understand, most of the censoring filters have an option to have a certain word/pattern match either the entire word or a part of the word. That way, anything involving our beloved F-word would be a part word match (too many cases to catch otherwise, plus it would be hard to find a legit word/name with the four letters in that combination). However, the new word should be a whole word match (so, indeed, common words like grape, scrape, or mob names like the Carapest would not be affected). I remember when playing on the russian servers, the name of the glacial walker contained a matched pattern, so when they were a mob, it was okay... as soon as it's tamed, there are stars in the summoned pet's name. Not only in the chat even, right above its head).

See also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S****horpe_problem‎

EDIT: hey, it self-demonstrated. You guys will have to figure out what to google for.
    EDIT2: Wikipedia actually has a redirect to the actual article. Click away :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Wizards - the only pyromaniac class.
  • MagicEmpress - Lost City
    MagicEmpress - Lost City Posts: 795 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    It is exactly because he sent in a ticket 4 times that he hasn't gotten a reply. He needs to be patient and wait in line like everyone else. They don't reply to tickets on weekends, and every time you send in a new ticket you get bumped to the back of the line. That has always been the policy. I'll poke the GMs about the censor list, but it's not likely they'd have an emergency maintenance to fix it. They didn't the last time it got broke.

Simple solution.
    Don't filter player names or PMs.
    I can understand other chat because people can't easily play the game without world/normal/guild/squad chat on, but if someone is stalking you via pm you can easily ignore that one person or screen shoot it to get them banned.
    And if a player has a foul name they can be banned.

OR EVEN BETTER

Put a item in the cash shop whereby a player can change their name!
    Almost every other game I've played has that option.
  • Beleni - Dreamweaver
    Beleni - Dreamweaver Posts: 383 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    for those of you who still want to message these filtered players.
    Private message fails.
    but you can still use private chat.
  • Tekril - Dreamweaver
    Tekril - Dreamweaver Posts: 308 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Could someone somewhere fix the "Censor". Every time I go to PM a faction mate named Grapes(not his full name) I can't because the "Censor" does this: G****s
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Yt0b_QBP_A
  • Esnemyl - Dreamweaver
    Esnemyl - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,079 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]<3 by Silvy
    Reborn ditzy archer with a serious oreo addiction =3

'...cuz my IQ is just above what is required to function as a human' - tsumaru2
  • OneMeanCat - Dreamweaver
    OneMeanCat - Dreamweaver Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Get rid of this stupid filtering system. b:angry

You want to stop the profanity then get in the game and monitor it, ban the people using it.

b:bye
  • Annalyse - Heavens Tear
    Annalyse - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,618 Arc User
    edited June 2013

You want to stop the profanity then get in the game and monitor it, ban the people using it.

+1

Everyone just uses periods, spaces and extra letters to circumvent it anyway. It is completely useless aside from causing aggravation like this to innocent people.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Annalyse (veno) - Melosa (cleric) - Glynneth (archer) - Pickerel (sin)
    Florafang (wiz) - RubixCube (barb) - Laravell (psy) - Diviah (Mystic)
    Torchwood (BM) - Sataea (Seeker) - Wystera (Sin) - Allissere (SB)

Looking for a mature faction on HT? pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=760842
  • Jesya - Lost City
    Jesya - Lost City Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited June 2013

There's a concept that they haven't done since late 2009.
  • tweakz
    edited June 2013
    This might make for good facebook material; I don't think anyone would feel good about steering their friends towards a game that they might spend thousands of dollars on only to get crapped on. - oh and loved that vid!
  • Odovacer - Dreamweaver
    Odovacer - Dreamweaver Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The censor is moronic. Messing up peoples' user names after years of use is another PWI low. There are dozens of offensive user names that skip around the censor. This is not the case hilighted by the OP. Hell WC is often as offensive as it gets. On top of that, PWI is not even pretending to help. The whole issue stinks.