Upgrading Shards that are Already In Gear

falconxs
falconxs Posts: 47 Arc User
edited June 2013 in General Discussion
Based on the last patch I read we can now upgrade shards that are already in our gear. That being the case I wanna ask if anyone has done this yet and how it works. Does it require you to just have a new shard you wish to put in it even if its just a higher lvl of the one you have currently or do you just provide the amount you would need to combine at the jeweler to make the next lvl higher?

For example going from flawless to immaculate citrine shards. If the flawless are currently in the gear and I want to upgrade it to immacs because I now can afford to do so do I need the immac in my inventory or do I just need however many flawless plus the one in my gear to upgrade it to immaculate?

Any replies would be fabulous, thanks. :)
Post edited by falconxs on

Comments

• Mosz - Heavens Tear
    Mosz - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,181 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    its just for dot/dod/josd/josa, the options are at one of the npcs beside the banker
  • falconxs
    edited June 2013
    So you can't do it with flawless and immacs?!
  • Salari - Raging Tide
    Salari - Raging Tide Posts: 2,102 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    look at the pwboutique agent it will answer all your questions
    Marine - Marshall - Raging Tides - Retired
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    DEMHEALSMAN - Dreamweaver
    Yes, because people really need 900+ dex or 1000+ magic just for the lulz
  • falconxs
    edited June 2013
    Sigh, telling me to go read the npc again does not help me answer this question. If I had understood what the npc had said or what the update had said I would not be here asking this question would I? I am out looking for conformation or someone that has used the system or better understands it than I. Do not mock my intelligence by telling me to go read something I have already read several times.
  • Mosz - Heavens Tear
    Mosz - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,181 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    falconxs wrote: »
    Sigh, telling me to go read the npc again does not help me answer this question. If I had understood what the npc had said or what the update had said I would not be here asking this question would I? I am out looking for conformation or someone that has used the system or better understands it than I. Do not mock my intelligence by telling me to go read something I have already read several times.

so when here it says http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1604311

"For now, only Attack Lv and Defense Lv gems can be transformed. "

-vitriol removed by Hey, You!-
  • ovenusarmanio
    ovenusarmanio Posts: 6,695 Community Moderator
    edited June 2013
    Guys, please keep it civil

@OP

I agree it can be a bit confusing since the PW boutique agent's text isn't as clear as the patch notes. While only those high grade gems are able to be transformed. You can in-fact replace the lower grade gems. In order to replace the lower grade gem with a higher one, you do need the higher grade gem in the first place. For flawless to immac it didn't require extra material. As you can see here.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i40/ariesdragon123/3a3e2c9d-53b4-45ce-9156-f317b438377f_zps265e971c.jpg

The transform option a high level shard to a different type of high level shards, not sure about if they would need to already be imbued or not. After I clicked replace, there is a confirmation message, and then the flawless shard was replaced by an immac.

edit:
    If you have something with more than one gem, you can also just replace only one gem out of the group. For example, on this alt I had only had one immac sitting in my bank. But the sleeves had three shards. So I replaced just one of the shards.

This is the menu you get:
    http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i40/ariesdragon123/3e4d5686-e96e-4cc4-bec2-ed71bcba99b3_zpsa96b2886.jpg

My coins before I hit replace

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i40/ariesdragon123/18a39ce6-6fdb-4233-9766-1e4dfdf976be_zps50e187a7.jpg

And the results
    http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i40/ariesdragon123/a4252ca8-952d-4a67-a413-5ec3afb6d1ec_zps59a6aeb9.jpg

As you can see it didn't cost me any coins. :)
    These gears were not refined so I don't actually know if does anything to them. Previous methods of imbuing/purging soulgems did not though so I don't see why these would.

kritty%20sig_zpsp0y7ttsb.png
    Thanks to MikoTenshi for the Avi and Kritty for the Signature.
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • ovenusarmanio
    edited June 2013
    A question for those of you placing high grade shards in unsocketed equipment, or replacing some flawless gem you accidentally sharded ages ago with your DOT/JOSD. Do you have to use the transform option to place those in, or can you replace the other gems with them?

• Azura - Lost City
    Azura - Lost City Posts: 2,281 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I didn't see the purpose of being able to replace low level gems, until you said it didn't cost any coins. It wasn't much, but before this one usually had to pay a npc to clear all shards and then pay again to put new ones.
  • Reliea - Sanctuary
    Reliea - Sanctuary Posts: 685 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Thanks for the info Venus!
    That's actually pretty darn handy-dandy.
    I admit I probably wouldn't use it on lower gems like flawless, since the gear I put flawless gems in is only temporary, though I might do it just to give it a try... I do have a plethora of immacs I won't be using since I prefer Morai gems over immacs now anyway.
  • ovenusarmanio
    edited June 2013
    Thanks for the info Venus!
    That's actually pretty darn handy-dandy.
    I admit I probably wouldn't use it on lower gems like flawless, since the gear I put flawless gems in is only temporary, though I might do it just to give it a try... I do have a plethora of immacs I won't be using since I prefer Morai gems over immacs now anyway.

Yup. Although one of the main beneficiaries will be all those people that put in lower grade gems as placeholders at the same as their higher grade gems. EG those sins with one DOT and one flawless gem in their weapons. xD

• SynfulDream - Dreamweaver
    SynfulDream - Dreamweaver Posts: 152 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Yes-Thank you so much for clearing that up. I was under the impression that you had to use flowing crystals to replace shards and/or to transform higher gems/DOT b:thanks
  • Joe - Morai
    Joe - Morai Posts: 1,299 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    OK, we now know that it works with low level shards. But can anyone confirm that it's still for free if you for example wanna shard Vit stones over immac shards, 1 after another so that it's 1 vit : 3 immac, 2 vit : 2 immac and so on.

If that would work and for free...it would be really amazing and would give the opporunity to highly increase your HP while not losing the former shards. You all know that problem if you got like full Exclusive shards and wanna go for gems but you can just afford one or 2. In former times you would lose some def with only 2 gems, but now things are different hopefully (:

We just need a confirmation about this.
    My Barb:
    mypers.pw/1.8/#146464

My SB:
    mypers.pw/1.8/#141476
  • ovenusarmanio
    edited June 2013
    Yes-Thank you so much for clearing that up. I was under the impression that you had to use flowing crystals to replace shards and/or to transform higher gems/DOT b:thanks

Fairly certain the transform option works as described in the patch notes with the flowing crystals. While the replace option just replaces a gem with another gem. I'm a bit surprised that it replaces without a fee.
    OK, we now know that it works with low level shards. But can anyone confirm that it's still for free if you for example wanna shard Vit stones over immac shards, 1 after another so that it's 1 vit : 3 immac, 2 vit : 2 immac and so on.

If that would work and for free...it would be really amazing and would give the opporunity to highly increase your HP while not losing the former shards. You all know that problem if you got like full Exclusive shards and wanna go for gems but you can just afford one or 2. In former times you would lose some def with only 2 gems, but now things are different hopefully (:

We just need a confirmation about this.

Well the lower grade gems certainly seem to work that way.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i40/ariesdragon123/2013-06-2606-41-14_zps69e1fa3f.png <---I sharded a shabby into these just to test if it I could replace it with an immac. With these boots, I had previously replaced a shabby with the immac to see if the big difference in grade made a difference. It did not. So these boots had already had a gem replaced once before.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i40/ariesdragon123/2013-06-2606-41-21_zpsec47ffa9.png <---As you can see I was successfully able to replace the second gem with an immac as well.

Now I don't know if because of the transform option, the replace system treats high and low level shards differently. If anyone is sharding clean gear with a high level shard, I'd love to know if you can replace a lower level shard with your high level shard. Based on my tests, you could just try a shabby. It won't replace, it doesn't cost a lot to purge the shabby through the normal tailor/blacksmith method.

• PotatoHeadQR - Dreamweaver
    PotatoHeadQR - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,507 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Yup. Although one of the main beneficiaries will be all those people that put in lower grade gems as placeholders at the same as their higher grade gems. EG those sins with one DOT and one flawless gem in their weapons. xD

DoT in weapon b:shocked
    you only purge once #yopo
  • Angel_Spawn - Sanctuary
    Angel_Spawn - Sanctuary Posts: 3,034 Arc User
    edited June 2013

You would be surprised how many people I have seen with dot`s in weapons b:surrender
    edited June 2013
    You would be surprised how many people I have seen with dot`s in weapons b:surrender

still better than elemental shards in magic weapons.
  • Jaabg - Sanctuary
    Jaabg - Sanctuary Posts: 2,256 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Still a bit confused on this matter.

1) I have vit stones in one gear piece. I want to put dot in their instead. If i make the change, will the vit stones come into my inv, or will they be lost, and i will be able to put the dot in the gear?

2) Similarly, if i had dods in full set, and i want to replace them with josd now. Would i be able to remove those dod by putting in dot/josd in their first? would the dod come in my inv?

1>>> vit stones = lvl 12, dot = 13, so the rule may apply, higher grade

2 >>> dod, dot, josd are all lvl 13 gems, not sure how the game will work out on that.

I do not want the new attack gem, i just want to replace the gems from different gear pieces to other ones b:chuckle.
  • ovenusarmanio
    edited June 2013

1) I have vit stones in one gear piece. I want to put dot in their instead. If i make the change, will the vit stones come into my inv, or will they be lost, and i will be able to put the dot in the gear?

2) Similarly, if i had dods in full set, and i want to replace them with josd now. Would i be able to remove those dod by putting in dot/josd in their first? would the dod come in my inv?

2 >>> dod, dot, josd are all lvl 13 gems, not sure how the game will work out on that.

I do not want the new attack gem, i just want to replace the gems from different gear pieces to other ones b:chuckle.

I don't know anything more than the patch notes about the transform options and how the system treats high grade gems e.g. do you have to use transform, or can you replace? ETC But just like normal socketing, once a gem is in there it is in there for good. Replacing a gem does not give the gem back.

Most of the people that I saw that made that mistake prior to replace option, were sins with a DOT in their weapon. But then again, this is the same group of people that thought it would be a good idea to shard a DOT and a flawless garnet in their weapon. So....xD I kid, I kid.

• skaitavia
    skaitavia Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013

1.) As it states in the patch notes: "Replacement: You can replace a gem with a new one of an equal or higher level, destroying the old gem."

2.) You would do that with the Tranformation method. You pay Flowing Crystals, coin, and two extra DoDs per DoD you have in your gear to upgrade it to a JoSD. This means that you won't be wasting the DoD that are already in your gear. You can also turn DoD into DoT, and vice versa. It just takes coin and Flowing Crystals.
  • ovenusarmanio
    edited June 2013
    Skaitavia wrote: »
    1.) As it states in the patch notes: "Replacement: You can replace a gem with a new one of an equal or higher level, destroying the old gem."

2.) You would do that with the Tranformation method. You pay Flowing Crystals, coin, and two extra DoDs per DoD you have in your gear to upgrade it to a JoSD. This means that you won't be wasting the DoD that are already in your gear. You can also turn DoD into DoT, and vice versa. It just takes coin and Flowing Crystals.

What about if you had not socketed the JOSD yet, it was just in your inventory and you had some kind of placeholder gem. Do you have to use the transform option, or can you just replace it? I know it's probably a stupid question but it's not like those types of restrictions (you have to use this option for that thing, and not the similar option for a similar thing) haven't been put there in the past.

• Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    Mayfly - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,094 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I think the selling point of the Transformation method is it lets you destroy just the one gem, rather than all in the item. Say you had an armor piece with 4 citrine gems in it, and you lucked into getting a JOSD. You could replace 1 of the citrine gems with a JOSD, leaving the others intact, using Transformation; before, you'd have to destroy all the citrine gems to install the JOSD.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Weekly Japanese/English bilingual webcomic
    thejapanesepage.com/ebooks/yuki_no_monogatari_manga
  • ovenusarmanio
    edited June 2013
    I think the selling point of the Transformation method is it lets you destroy just the one gem, rather than all in the item. Say you had an armor piece with 4 citrine gems in it, and you lucked into getting a JOSD. You could replace 1 of the citrine gems with a JOSD, leaving the others intact, using Transformation; before, you'd have to destroy all the citrine gems to install the JOSD.

That's the replace option, and yeah. It's pretty awesome. It also allows you to change around gems without the extra fees when you've already paid once to socket your gear. Honestly, this has been like one of the most requested features for a long time, it's nice to see it here. Especially since it came after a decent coin sink was implemented. \o/

edited June 2013
    That's the replace option, and yeah. It's pretty awesome. It also allows you to change around gems without the extra fees when you've already paid once to socket your gear. Honestly, this has been like one of the most requested features for a long time, it's nice to see it here. Especially since it came after a decent coin sink was implemented. \o/

so in other words, if I shard a shabby (cost of what, 200 coins?) then I can skip the cost of sharding a DoT (around 1.5m if memory serves)? sweet xD
  • skaitavia
    skaitavia Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    What about if you had not socketed the JOSD yet, it was just in your inventory and you had some kind of placeholder gem. Do you have to use the transform option, or can you just replace it? I know it's probably a stupid question but it's not like those types of restrictions (you have to use this option for that thing, and not the similar option for a similar thing) haven't been put there in the past.

Then that would fall into the first feature, the replace feature. You'd be replacing a lower gem with your "gem of higher grade".

The transform is there only for the DoT/DoD that people have in current gears. From there they pay a recipe, and the shard that gets socketed is the new stone. So essentially, this is just like the replace feature, only you have to pay a recipe, which is lesser than the previous option of replacing gems.

It looks like you're "using" the current gem (DoT/DoD), but in reality you aren't. It's just the option to upgrade, or replace, the gem to a Deity Stone or JoSD requires 2 DoTs/DoDs, respectively, Flowing Crystals, and a set coin fee. Whereas if this feature did not exist, you would have to get 3 DoTs/DoDs, combine them to get a DS/JoSD, purge your gear of gems, and put them in. So in total (if this feature did NOT exist), you would use 4 DoTs/DoDs per DS/JoSD if you already had one+ in your previous gear, which was the case for many people who sharded DoT for the attack levels.

I hope that makes sense. xD
    so in other words, if I shard a shabby (cost of what, 200 coins?) then I can skip the cost of sharding a DoT (around 1.5m if memory serves)? sweet xD

That's what it looks like, which is great!