VOTE: Get rid of ARC and get our downloads back

First, let me get a few things clear...

1. This isn't about the update.
2. This isn't about PWE's complete mis-management of most of the games they publish.
3. This isn't a QQ thread about the Dev's or Lag, or anything like that.
4. This is about PWE forcing software on us that we don't want.

PWE came out with ARC. It's basically their version of Steam. Most of us don't want it, but to download any of the newer content, it's basically forced on us.

It stores all of your login data for your games and has some neat integration features, but where is that data stored, and how secure it is?

So, for those of us that didn't want more **** cluttering our system and posing potential security risks, we avoid using ARC. So we found ways to download the client without having to install ARC. I even provided links after those were removed from the Downloads page.

Then PWE got rid of the torrent page, so I provided an alternative. Now PWE has shut down all of the v699 torrents, and my attempts to fire up a new one get shut down rather quickly via a court order PWE has filed.

I am petitioning to bring back the old downloads. I don't want to have to use Pando Media Booster to download the client, I just want to download the installer. I want to be able to use/seed the torrent download so that I can help take some load off of PWE's servers so that they can provide better bandwidth.

Unfortunately, they've determined that they know what's better for us and are forcing ARC down our throats.

Please vote, and let everyone know what your favorite method to download the client is.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by SylenThunder - Twilight Temple on

Comments

• Esnemyl - Dreamweaver
    Esnemyl - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,079 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Boy am i glad i installed pwi last year before ARC came out -w-'
    infact, make Arc OPTIONAL. Some people may prefer it, but not all of us want it!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]<3 by Silvy
    Reborn ditzy archer with a serious oreo addiction =3

'...cuz my IQ is just above what is required to function as a human' - tsumaru2
  • Horosho - Lost City
    Horosho - Lost City Posts: 305 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    http://techsupport.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1717

Isn't that the site were all the patches are? o:
  • Wickedbrew - Raging Tide
    Wickedbrew - Raging Tide Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    If ARC becomes mandatory, then, I will say this...adios PWI.

I prefer the normal download not what I am sure will be the soon to be necessary ARC - Asinine Required ****.

Yippee...it let's me play other PW games. Umm, sorry, I don't play any other PW games. Nor will I play other PW games. As greedy as pw is with PWI, I learned my lesson. Now if ARC becomes a must use, I will be a figment of PW's imagination, and will take my money elsewhere.
    WeBeKinky Leader - lvl 10x psychic

If you don't like my attitude, you should realize I don't care.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    It's strange what desire will make foolish people do.
  • ResiaTri - Heavens Tear
    ResiaTri - Heavens Tear Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Arc actually works fine for me. A little laggy when it first comes up, but I've had few, if any problems with it personally.

Tell me, do you have any logic as to why you don't like it? Such as, it as **** poor programming or something like that?

Any legit arguments as to why they should make it optional?

Make a note, I run PWI on a VIRTUAL MACHINE! Windows XP. I play on a Mac. And I HAVE ZERO PROBLEMS WITH IT!!!! >.>

Think about that.

Now I figure a majority of you are playing on Vista/Win7/Win8...but that's irrelevant.

Get some good logic for it.

Now, I can understand getting the downloads back, but Arc is just...easier management.
  • SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited June 2013
    Arc actually works fine for me. A little laggy when it first comes up, but I've had few, if any problems with it personally.

Tell me, do you have any logic as to why you don't like it? Such as, it as **** poor programming or something like that?

Any legit arguments as to why they should make it optional?

Make a note, I run PWI on a VIRTUAL MACHINE! Windows XP. I play on a Mac. And I HAVE ZERO PROBLEMS WITH IT!!!! >.>

Think about that.

Now I figure a majority of you are playing on Vista/Win7/Win8...but that's irrelevant.

Get some good logic for it.

Now, I can understand getting the downloads back, but Arc is just...easier management.
    Mostly, because the last thing I need is yet another game client management system. I avoided Steam, even playing Skyrim, I still shut Steam down. I run a system with enough background processes on it already. I don't need another software management platform to run my software.

Sure, ARC has it's perks. The only problem I have with it right now is the fact that is stores my login data and that it is completely incapable of recognizing the published PWE software already installed on my computer. (Which means I have to re-download and install in order to actually make ARC usable for that program.)

Truly though, The reason Steam is what it is, is for copyright protection. PWE doesn't need that since the majority of their games are F2P. Because of this, I shouldn't be forced to use ARC for my F2P games from this publisher.

It's all about having the option, and they are taking that away.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ResiaTri - Heavens Tear
    ResiaTri - Heavens Tear Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The log-in information, I can agree is a problem. Because it stores that, I can understand your concern there.

But as for not recognizing PWI software already installed....I found that PWI and Forsaken World were recognized once I installed on Arc. So I didn't have that problem.
  • Nariin - Dreamweaver
    Nariin - Dreamweaver Posts: 890 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    But... it still works if you simply unistall Arc, right?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
    Want a custom faction/fav icon? Look no further! Visit my 👿 Icon Repository in the Fanatics Forum.
    ~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
    ^ but please, for the love of god, read the first page before making requests (UPDATED)
  • Alsiadorra - Sanctuary
    Alsiadorra - Sanctuary Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    But... it still works if you simply unistall Arc, right?

According to some folks, if you uninstall ARC you cannot reinstall PWI. And an ARC aquired PWI shouldn't work without ARC installed. The latter is just a guess on my part.
  • Salari - Raging Tide
    Salari - Raging Tide Posts: 2,102 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    omg lol, court order?, that really shows you how they feel about their customers
    Marine - Marshall - Raging Tides - Retired
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    DEMHEALSMAN - Dreamweaver
    Yes, because people really need 900+ dex or 1000+ magic just for the lulz
  • Angel_Spawn - Sanctuary
    Angel_Spawn - Sanctuary Posts: 3,034 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Pwi should fear its customers not vice versa, court order is seriously? b:surrender As a service they need to do everything possible to kiss their customer`s bottoms, meaning providing a qualitative service, what they do is force people to use useless garbage that only eats more resources from your computer, I haven't used ARC (and sure as hell don`t want to), it`s already enough from Steam experience it`s just a burden in general.

Really hope that the communists at the HQ will take the dissatisfaction of the community in to account but I wouldn`t get my hopes up, as long as there are brainless monkeys spending every single dime they own on a game with poor customer service, why would they need to listen to the players and change something? So you the players could be blamed for this also, don`t bend your backs and take it as they expect you to, in stead, protest by not charging zen until they investigate the source of this.

But this endeavour would require a lot of people and forums are only visited by a small percentage of the playerbase!
  • Bubbles - Morai
    Bubbles - Morai Posts: 1,143 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I have not tried Arc in it's current form but I did try it in an early beta few years ago.

PWE is accomplishing nothing by having it.
    Those that try to compete with steam usually end up resorting to steam.

Hell, look at EA games. They have origin, yet few of their games end up on steam anyways.
    The only exception to that is GOG, which is based on DRM-less games.

I will keep my DRM-less PWI as a non-steam game on steam. Right next to pwcn and few other mmos.

Edit:

Now that I think about it, ARC could be a response to private servers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Horosho - Lost City
    edited June 2013
    I have not tried Arc in it's current form but I did try it in an early beta few years ago.

PWE is accomplishing nothing by having it.
    Those that try to compete with steam usually end up resorting to steam.

Hell, look at EA games. They have origin, yet few of their games end up on steam anyways.
    The only exception to that is GOG, which is based on DRM-less games.

I will keep my DRM-less PWI as a non-steam game on steam. Right next to pwcn and few other mmos.

Edit:

Now that I think about it, ARC could be a response to private servers.

Correct me if I'm wrong but if they want to give a response to private servers they will just let it shut down and earn millions of the actual private server owner, PWE can win a law suit about this concept easily since private servers steal their files and they don't have the permission to do that.
  • Salari - Raging Tide
    edited June 2013
    Correct me if I'm wrong but if they want to give a response to private servers they will just let it shut down and earn millions of the actual private server owner, PWE can win a law suit about this concept easily since private servers steal their files and they don't have the permission to do that.

its not pwe's files, they dont make the game they publish it. The private servers you see and here about either get their files from leaked sources from cn , or other official versions or buy a license. Some other games people reverse engineer enough of the game client to make working server(not sure if this was done with pw).

Just because there are private servers does not mean they are not legal
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Horosho - Lost City
    edited June 2013
    its not pwe's files, they dont make the game they publish it. The private servers you see and here about either get their files from leaked sources from cn , or other official versions or buy a license. Some other games people reverse engineer enough of the game client to make working server(not sure if this was done with pw).

Just because there are private servers does not mean they are not legal

Everyone knows a private server is illegal.
    And I know they get it from pwcn leaked sources etc. but PWE still can get millions from the PS holders/owners.
  • Salari - Raging Tide
    edited June 2013
    Everyone knows a private server is illegal.
    And I know they get it from pwcn leaked sources etc. but PWE still can get millions from the PS holders/owners.

pw-cn had a page specifically for buying a license for a private server, they would even help you set it up. There was still royalties you had to pay off any sales. the last i checked it was not there but that does not mean they no longer sell them. At one time i was thinking of contacting them to see if they still offered it. It would be fun to run your own.

And again PWE is a game publisher they do not make PW.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Horosho - Lost City
    edited June 2013
    pw-cn had a page specifically for buying a license for a private server, they would even help you set it up. There was still royalties you had to pay off any sales. the last i checked it was not there but that does not mean they no longer sell them. At one time i was thinking of contacting them to see if they still offered it. It would be fun to run your own.

And again PWE is a game publisher they do not make PW.

Why would they do that o_o more people will go to the private server = they get less money.
  • XxZloxX - Raging Tide
    XxZloxX - Raging Tide Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    what i find amusing is recently ive download raiderz, neverwinter, and star trek, none of those require arc, just do a straight download... so why does pwi??
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    My experience with Arc is that I used it to download a fresh client and now instead of running it I just run the client form elementclient.exe directly.

Why would you need to run Arc again after it installs the client?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • Yuna_Sama - Heavens Tear
    Yuna_Sama - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,541 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Well, this sucks... So if I ever get a new pc, or have to do a re-install, I have to download a whole crappy program just to play PWI? Just what I need... More **** on my pc... f:angry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Veno, Archer & Psychic on Heaven's Tear...
    Also a big fan of Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Star Ocean, "Tales of" games, Ys, Zelda, Pokemon & Anime...
    BigHearts member... f:grin
  • XxZloxX - Raging Tide
    XxZloxX - Raging Tide Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    i didnt find arc to be TO bad, i used it to download PWi then i just made a short cut from pwi folder for the elemnt client so dont even need to bother with arc
  • Salari - Raging Tide
    edited June 2013
    Why would they do that o_o more people will go to the private server = they get less money.

the same reason other game companies that license their game engines they used to make other games. More revenue stream.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Frijolero - Sanctuary
    Frijolero - Sanctuary Posts: 820 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Well, this sucks... So if I ever get a new pc, or have to do a re-install, I have to download a whole crappy program just to play PWI? Just what I need... More **** on my pc... f:angry

If you have a pre-ARC version of PWI running on your computer, copy the folder to an external HDD and then into your new PC. The game will run perfectly and ARC-free b:victory
    Sliding we go, only fear on our side. To the edge of the wire and we rush with the tide.
    Although I'm still alive, pray to God I survive
    How long on this longest day, 'til we finally make it through.
    - June 6, 1944. The day earth stood still.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Yuna_Sama - Heavens Tear
    Yuna_Sama - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,541 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    If you have a pre-ARC version of PWI running on your computer, copy the folder to a external HDD and move it into your new PC. The game will run perfectly and ARC-free b:victory

Ah, thanks~! Will do that... f:thanks
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Veno, Archer & Psychic on Heaven's Tear...
    Also a big fan of Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Star Ocean, "Tales of" games, Ys, Zelda, Pokemon & Anime...
    BigHearts member... f:grin
  • Veneir - Dreamweaver
    Veneir - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,541 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    i didnt find arc to be TO bad, i used it to download PWi then i just made a short cut from pwi folder for the elemnt client so dont even need to bother with arc
    Yeah but PWI is like 9.1 billion bytes; it's huge enough already and based off of a ten year old system, it doesn't need to require more **** to run while causing the computer stress it does OTL
    Transfer the PWI files to a thumbdridve D:! /inb4Ipostedthatabitlate
    If ARC becomes mandatory, then, I will say this...adios PWI.

I prefer the normal download not what I am sure will be the soon to be necessary ARC - Asinine Required ****.

Yippee...it let's me play other PW games. Umm, sorry, I don't play any other PW games. Nor will I play other PW games. As greedy as pw is with PWI, I learned my lesson. Now if ARC becomes a must use, I will be a figment of PW's imagination, and will take my money elsewhere.
    Anyway, this basically completily summarizes my view on ARC. I only very tentativeily do anything with this game-- and if I needed some sort of fake-steam programn to access it, that more-commonily-than-not has some 675644 issues, I wouldn't even lurk around the game sometimes. I'd just cast it off as dead to me. OTL
    what i find amusing is recently ive download raiderz, neverwinter, and star trek, none of those require arc, just do a straight download... so why does pwi??
    Also I think the point about none of the other titles requiring it in order to download is a good one...

This post is so quote-tastical, yeesh... but those are all from old pages so I have an excuse? Ehhhh.
    Anyway, court orders, yeesh.... completily unnecessary and causing more unnessesary grief; I can't possibily fathom what the benefit to PWE for all of this is, especially if it is only for one of their games so is not enforced across the board... and while PWI makes quite the bit of money... well, where will the money be coming from if people can't even load/play/boycott the game because of a fake-steam necessity which doesn't even work OTL.

Good luck, Syly :3
    "Clearly, the only logical option is Squid." -Decus <コ:彡 <コ:彡
    I'm helplessly needless, and needless to say I owe you | Well I'd pull, teeter away, at the earth with my teeth, to touch your face alive | You lie, helplessly still | As your face falls apart | Well I can make your face brand new | Come take my hand and I'll take your hand | And I will pull you out | Into the sun.
    First fell into an army of noob mobs on 19/3/2009~ Upside-down fox and old-colour squid <┻┻~ [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    PWE came out with ARC. It's basically their version of Steam. Most of us don't want it, but to download any of the newer content, it's basically forced on us.

I remember some issues about steam over 10 years ago, but that was more because it wasn't for just one publisher wanting a distribution method that it had issues. I for one do NOT want torrents forced on us. -that requires a program which brings with it vulnerabilities also!
    It stores all of your login data for your games and has some neat integration features, but where is that data stored, and how secure it is?

If you can't even tell where it's stored; maybe it's because it's secure. b:chuckle The fact that you're questioning rather than pointing makes me feel you don't really have a point; just a question.
    So, for those of us that didn't want more **** cluttering our system and posing potential security risks, we avoid using ARC.

Nothing is secure on your PC: NOTHING! All your activity can be monitored. There are 7 layers of deletion on HDDs. USA/ Israel have their eyes everywhere.
    Then PWE got rid of the torrent page, so I provided an alternative. Now PWE has shut down all of the v699 torrents, and my attempts to fire up a new one get shut down rather quickly via a court order PWE has filed.

Usenet, Ed2k, are still around? I'd shut down what I could myself if I were PW. You're inferring here that running an exe from an unknown source is safer than running ARC which sounds ridiculous like conspiracy theory ****.
    I am petitioning to bring back the old downloads. I don't want to have to use Pando Media Booster to download the client, I just want to download the installer. I want to be able to use/seed the torrent download so that I can help take some load off of PWE's servers so that they can provide better bandwidth.

I have no bandwidth issues. The downloads max my connection rate on DSL. You say you want to help them, but so did that barb that was spending 5 minutes with mobs before bringing them to us in RB with ~1% of their HP gone.
    Unfortunately, they've determined that they know what's better for us and are forcing ARC down our throats.

Yep; just like making foi gras.
    Please vote, and let everyone know what your favorite method to download the client is.

I have no personal experience with ARC, but you failed to present a case to me. -Sorry.
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • Mraochan - Lost City
    Mraochan - Lost City Posts: 464 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    First let me admit my complete lack of knowledge regarding Arc, I don't have it, and since PW appears to run at least as well as it used to the last time I logged in (months ago), I see no need for it. I used to play Forsaken World so... there's one extra icon on my desktop. OMG!? But maybe there are tons of people out there that play ALL PW games, and they would like to use Arc, that's fine if it helps them, make it optional.

If it presented some clear advantage, then of course I'd consider using it, but from what I hear, it doesn't, so like others have said, I don't want or need any extra **** running on my computer. Simple equation: Less **** = better performance.

As far as PW downloads go, I prefer to download directly from PW.
  • Salari - Raging Tide
    edited June 2013
    tweakz wrote: »
    I for one do NOT want torrents forced on us. -that requires a program which brings with it vulnerabilities also!

A torrent program is not the problem, it is what could be in the file the torrent points to. If the original source is reliable the torrent is, there is no modifying one source of a torrent to infect the rest

Usenet, Ed2k, are still around? I'd shut down what I could myself if I were PW. You're inferring here that running an exe from an unknown source is safer than running ARC which sounds ridiculous like conspiracy theory ****.

You cant shut down usnet, ISP's Schools Goverments and reliable 3rd parties run them ,ED2k is just a another file transfer protocol

/5char
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Give me a real quote w/o the harsh text colors and I'll respond.
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • Salari - Raging Tide
    edited June 2013
    tweakz wrote: »
    Give me a real quote w/o the harsh text colors and I'll respond.

No your post reflects your lack of understanding of anything
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Heartz - Dreamweaver
    Heartz - Dreamweaver Posts: 422 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Meh why the hell are they taking other people torrents down for it.. We don't want the stupid Arc FFS lol.
    Do they detect non-public torrents too, so each faction could just have one, in case computer dies ( and no backup on a HDD) ?
    - personally i got it on two comps and two external HDD's, I got my *** saved for Arc.. lol
    105 - 105 - 105 (14th march 2014)

This discussion has been closed.