PWI Challenge Mode: Group Edition

KrittyCat - Dreamweaver
KrittyCat - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,273 Arc User
edited July 2013 in General Discussion
Now, some of you might be asking, "What does he mean by "Challenge Mode"?

Even more of you might be wondering "Group Edition"?

Here is the explanation... First, I need some volunteers* willing to dedicate a lot (and I mean a LOT) of time to this venture.

When I get that little pre-requisite, the rules will be as follows**:

1. 6 group members (5 + myself), all playing different classes. (I will be playing a cleric [unless another candidate is a better fit], and would like 1 veno and a tank. The other classes are up for player choice).
2. No smurfing money/gear to the new characters (easiest done by creating a new account).
3. The beginning point will be after we all get to our FB19 (which will be done as a group), and the goal will be somewhere between 80 and 90, to be decided upon by the participants.
4. NO FC, NO CS, NO BH.
5. Purchasing gear is fine, as long as the money is only from that character/other characters in the group.
6. Server will be decided upon by the group, but must take into account the fact that the members of the group will not be accepting any outside help unless further progress is impossible without assistance.

While I know this is very intense, and a HUGE undertaking, I'm hoping there are others in the community who would be willing to join me on this venture.

I am aiming to prove that the game can be fun, and can be accessed by F2P players, as long as they find a solid group to play with.

I'm beginning to accept volunteer PMs now, will send applications to prospective candidates, and then will plan the challenge to begin some time after July 4th.

NOTE: This doesn't HAVE to be an every day thing; in fact, I think it's good to take breaks from a game you've been playing a lot of. Thus, I will not require applicants to promise me that they will be on all the time.

Recommended location for applicants: North America (exceptions can be made if applicants from other countries can meet the requirements for timing).

My intention is to stream the entirety of the challenge, so if I have a night where my internet isn't terrific, the challenge will be suspended until the next time I have the ability to stream.

Please consider being a part of this undertaking, but beware... the challenge will change you, and your perception of our Perfect World...

*Please note that volunteering doesn't necessarily mean that you will be selected. Volunteers will be selected based upon the fulfillment of an application, which will be submitted to each volunteer via a PM.

**Rules subject to addition/revision before the challenge begins.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
(Signature credit to NowItsAwn)

Survivor of Snow-Mageddon 2010, "The Great Earthquake" of 2011, and Sandy 2012 b:victory
Post edited by KrittyCat - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• Kniraven - Lost City
    Kniraven - Lost City Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    You're missing server requirements/location
    I strongly suggest LostCity to add to the fun
    (Most questing areas you won't have to deal with PKers, just make sure you do west gate and silver pool quests before you hit level thirty)

I also suggest no BHs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • KrittyCat - Dreamweaver
    edited June 2013
    You're missing server requirements/location
    I strongly suggest LostCity to add to the fun
    (Most questing areas you won't have to deal with PKers, just make sure you do west gate and silver pool quests before you hit level thirty)

I also suggest no BHs

Server requirements would be based upon the people who apply. As I'm located on the East Coast, I can play anywhere, even EU (Though I doubt we would end up there). Location depends on when the people who apply and best meet the requirements can be on.

I guess I can specify the time for when I'll be on...

Most days, my times for play would be beginning at 11pm or 12am Eastern, and ending around 4 or 5am Eastern, so around 4-6 hour sessions (which is more than enough for most people in one sitting).

And I like your suggestion... Adding it now. ^^

If anyone else has any suggestions to make this more of a "challenge", please feel free to input your suggestions here.b:mischievous
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Survivor of Snow-Mageddon 2010, "The Great Earthquake" of 2011, and Sandy 2012 b:victory
  • ovenusarmanio
    ovenusarmanio Posts: 6,695 Community Moderator
    edited June 2013
    I suggest that you start together from when you do the archosaur quests. That way you don't have to deal with the logistical issues of grouping together for content that is race based. Even without leveling aids its stupid easy to get there anyway.

kritty%20sig_zpsp0y7ttsb.png
    Thanks to MikoTenshi for the Avi and Kritty for the Signature.
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited June 2013
    I suggest that you start together from when you do the archosaur quests. That way you don't have to deal with the logistical issues of grouping together for content that is race based. Even without leveling aids its stupid easy to get there anyway.

That was all going to be discussed at the point of actually getting going, because of the no smurfing rule.

Thanks for outlining it now, though, might as well add it to the list.b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Eoria - Harshlands
    Eoria - Harshlands Posts: 6,118 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    tbh, no BH after a certain level (80 or so) is kinda ridiculous. Especially if not even doing FC the normal way.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"subtraction has the butt of an angel" - Paulrogers
    I <3 Subtraction.
    /blatant sig copy is blatant

105/105/105 obtained! b:cute
    edited June 2013
    tbh, no BH after a certain level (80 or so) is kinda ridiculous. Especially if not even doing FC the normal way.

Thus why the challenge is only going to be into the 80 to 90 range. I don't want to cause the challenge to become a drag, and that's what forcing it too much past the "experience wall" would do.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands
    Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands Posts: 7,231 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Does people will be allowed to use dreamchaser pack and supply stash?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

b:dirty "I **** rainbows and love everyone"-Longknife b:cute
    edited June 2013
    Does people will be allowed to use dreamchaser pack and supply stash?

The supply stash is fine, but I would have to really think about the Dreamchaser pack...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Haila - Sanctuary
    Haila - Sanctuary Posts: 467 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    fc without hypers is no big deal
    cs for some fashion is also no big deal
    bh once a week is no big deal

just saying b:chuckle
    edited June 2013
    fc without hypers is no big deal
    cs for some fashion is also no big deal
    bh once a week is no big deal

just saying b:chuckle

PWI Challenge Mode is a challenge to play the game the way it was before packs became "the thing". It's a chance to go back to the roots of what made the game a great game, and a lot of fun to play in groups, leveling in the open world.

If you don't want to be a part of it, you can always ignore the thread.b:bye
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Haila - Sanctuary
    edited June 2013
    PWI Challenge Mode is a challenge to play the game the way it was before packs became "the thing". It's a chance to go back to the roots of what made the game a great game, and a lot of fun to play in groups, leveling in the open world.

If you don't want to be a part of it, you can always ignore the thread.b:bye

FC for lvl75's is a big challenge
    BH once a while in a fb instance is also a challenge
    Some variation apart from questing is always nice

I was a part of the old roots and I charged for fashion i remember, fashion is a part of the fun also

b:bye
  • Suserak - Dreamweaver
    Suserak - Dreamweaver Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Rules for quests? Exp fruits/scrolls?
  • Kniraven - Lost City
    Kniraven - Lost City Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    FC for lvl75's is a big challenge
    BH once a while in a fb instance is also a challenge
    Some variation apart from questing is always nice

I was a part of the old roots and I charged for fashion i remember, fashion is a part of the fun also

b:bye

BHs are not, nor were they ever a challenge, perhaps with the exception of BH69.

You seem to be missing the entire point of this, and perhaps you should refrain from further unwanted commentary.

I suggest no to the dream chaser pack. I also suggest no use of luck tokens.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Jaabg - Sanctuary
    Jaabg - Sanctuary Posts: 2,256 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    This may or may not help you.

Start date around dec 2011 i think. I started with a bm. I levelled to 55 before i did my first bh. I solo quested all bosses, things, culti stuff. I had a cleric heal me for my fb, she didn't attack. That was after my friend told me what culti was for.

I used my wooden sword until lvl 12, before i found the wooden sword didn't hit for much.

I used all the gear i crafted by gathering the resources, i levelled my blacksmith, tailor, craftsman and apoc skills that way. I did not use any legendary gear, or tt stuff until lvl 78 when some people gave me the molds.

I know until 55 it can be done with no bh, no worries. It took me 6 months of playing 1~2 hours a day to reach that. If you do no bh after that point, this project will take eons, unless you guys plan on farming pq 1 for exp.

I have no clue about other classes, but as a solo bm, i only attacked one mob at a time, so my going was slow, but if you do it as a squad, the progress will be faster.

Jump to present

When i hyper my alts, and catch up on their culti only, i gain about 3~8 lvls for the lvl 29 culti. The previous quest change gives lots of money and exp now. Plus culti is super easy now. So even though you are not doing bh, the culti and blue quests alone will give you massive exp. Not sure about post 55 lvl on the exp issue, since i never quested an alt from that point.

Dreamchaser pack lvl 40 weapon = slightly better compared to weapon lvl 30 token items. Weapon lvl 30 tokens = lvl 30 requirement as opposed to 40, and my archer with a +7 crossbow (not sure what she has) kills the sharks for the fur in 2~3 shots.

Also mind you, until lvl 60 or 80 (not sure which, they changed and increased the level) you get a daily free charm from the harbinger. For a person like me, that makes my archer unkillable, even if the mob is standing next to me, it is a charm tick and life goes on. MP charm i would recommend since the last thing you want is endless squad wipes because people are out of mp, especially if everyone is not playing everyday for 1~2 hours.

As for my main, soon to be r9 3rd cast +12 josd, as a f2p player. Would have been that a year earlier, had i learned how to raise money from merchanting b:laugh
  • Linc - Raging Tide
    Linc - Raging Tide Posts: 589 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I like your concept. I'm wondering though why not go ahead and use all the available content like BH and free items supplied by PWI like the Dreamchaser. It just seems odd to want to play the game and demonstrate something to new players about playing with a dedicated group in a F2P environment and then ignore actual F2P content. Why not do all the current available F2P content too? Because any new players coming to the game will more than likely take part in BH and PWI sponsored free giveaways.

I understand that BH is a newer form of powerleveling from the original game, but maybe don't have to BH everyday, but excluding free content seems counter intuitive to enjoying a F2P game. It seems like it would be ok to do some free powerleveling as long as its not spamming fc with hypers and what not. IDK, you probably have a vision and it's actually a good thing it looks like the way you want to do this. Sort of like a specialized club of anti-power-levelers.
    I did not feel the treachery or inconstancy of a friend, nor the injuries of a secret or open enemy. I had no occasion of bribing, flattering, or pimping, to procure the favour of any great man, or of his minion; I wanted no fence against fraud or oppression: here was neither physician to destroy my body, nor lawyer to ruin my fortune; no informer to watch my words and actions, or forge accusations against me for hire: here were no gibers, censurers, backbiters, pickpockets, highwaymen, housebreakers, attorneys, bawds, buffoons, gamesters, politicians, wits, splenetics, tedious talkers, controvertists, ravishers, murderers, robbers, virtuosos; no leaders, or followers, of party and faction; no encouragers to vice, by seducement or examples; no dungeon, axes, gibbets, whipping-posts, or pillories; no cheating shopkeepers or mechanics; no pride, vanity, or affectation; no fops, bullies, drunkards, strolling prostitutes, or poxes; no ranting, lewd, expensive wives; no stupid, proud pedants; no importunate, overbearing, quarrelsome, noisy, roaring, empty, conceited, swearing companions; no scoundrels raised from the dust upon the merit of their vices, or nobility thrown into it on account of their virtues; no lords, fiddlers, judges, or dancing-masters.
    From Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift
  • Haila - Sanctuary
    edited June 2013
    BHs are not, nor were they ever a challenge, perhaps with the exception of BH69.

You seem to be missing the entire point of this, and perhaps you should refrain from further unwanted commentary.

Yes, i totaly miss the point. At first I was thinking krittycat was up for all kinds of challenges for non powerlevelers, i think the challenges are limited to fb for own range and questing in open world. The only challenge is level up the old way i get it now.
  • Xainou - Sanctuary
    Xainou - Sanctuary Posts: 5,369 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Damn, I could have sworn this was a necro lol But yay, Kritty! Good luck with this, I like what you're trying to prove :p

Sadly I don't have the time to apply between RL and officership in my fac now. f:defeat
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Licensed tail brusher of ƙɑƙʊɱɑʊ ~ only the fluffiest
    Outrunning centaurs since 2012~
  • Linc - Raging Tide
    edited June 2013

He seemed to have some valid points. I suggest perhaps you should refrain from trying to be the self appointed forums sheriff.
    I did not feel the treachery or inconstancy of a friend, nor the injuries of a secret or open enemy. I had no occasion of bribing, flattering, or pimping, to procure the favour of any great man, or of his minion; I wanted no fence against fraud or oppression: here was neither physician to destroy my body, nor lawyer to ruin my fortune; no informer to watch my words and actions, or forge accusations against me for hire: here were no gibers, censurers, backbiters, pickpockets, highwaymen, housebreakers, attorneys, bawds, buffoons, gamesters, politicians, wits, splenetics, tedious talkers, controvertists, ravishers, murderers, robbers, virtuosos; no leaders, or followers, of party and faction; no encouragers to vice, by seducement or examples; no dungeon, axes, gibbets, whipping-posts, or pillories; no cheating shopkeepers or mechanics; no pride, vanity, or affectation; no fops, bullies, drunkards, strolling prostitutes, or poxes; no ranting, lewd, expensive wives; no stupid, proud pedants; no importunate, overbearing, quarrelsome, noisy, roaring, empty, conceited, swearing companions; no scoundrels raised from the dust upon the merit of their vices, or nobility thrown into it on account of their virtues; no lords, fiddlers, judges, or dancing-masters.
    edited June 2013
    He seemed to have some valid points. I suggest perhaps you should refrain from trying to be the self appointed forums sheriff.

But I had already expressed no interest in the "points" that he was bringing to the thread.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Lyrynx - Momaganon
    Lyrynx - Momaganon Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    i applaud u for this challenge,however u may not realise how long it will take...
    started my mystic september 2011, by end of january 2012 she was lvl60 and able to join mythical tw guild. during this time i knew nothing so was only questing, grinding and farming mats drops and herbs. levels 30-60 was in a 'beginner' guild where the atmosphere was relaxed about leveling up and nearly everyone was leveling up the traditional ways.
    was unemployed feb-august so was playing pretty much 24/7...still took me till may to be in my 80's when i started doing fc's, bh's etc
  • Eoria - Harshlands
    Eoria - Harshlands Posts: 6,118 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    It's...really not that hard to level to 80ish or so nowadays. Like, I started an alt cleric a couple weeks ago for lulz and by just doing some quests/culti/lucidgold/perfect questmaster/daily season quest and then starting Goshiki chain, it's like level 47 already. I haven't even touched BHes yet. If I'd been actively playing her, I have like no doubt she'd probably be like 60ish by now at least.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"subtraction has the butt of an angel" - Paulrogers
    I <3 Subtraction.
    /blatant sig copy is blatant

105/105/105 obtained! b:cute
  • Annalyse - Heavens Tear
    Annalyse - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,618 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I recently made a new char just to see what all of these new quests/altered quests would be like. She made it to 60 by only questing in a matter of days (no BH). This really isn't a challenge anymore (though I had fun).

Things I also avoided: lucid, exp from questmaster, exp items from dreamchaser, the seasonal quests, pretty much anything new that was not a quest in my normal quest list. I eventually did a couple of jolly jones quests because I ran out of money but I mostly avoided those also. There are a *lot* of new ways to get exp at lower levels now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Annalyse (veno) - Melosa (cleric) - Glynneth (archer) - Pickerel (sin)
    Florafang (wiz) - RubixCube (barb) - Laravell (psy) - Diviah (Mystic)
    Torchwood (BM) - Sataea (Seeker) - Wystera (Sin) - Allissere (SB)

Looking for a mature faction on HT? pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=760842
  • Linc - Raging Tide
    edited June 2013
    But I had already expressed no interest in the "points" that he was bringing to the thread.

Okay, it's your thread, so you get to call the shots, pardon me but I didn't realize Knivraven was your forums proxy.
    edited June 2013
    (though I had fun).

This is the majority of what I'm trying to prove. This game can still be fun, if you don't just rush to the end through FC runs and such.

Also, may consider other quest restrictions. It'll have to be posed to the group that runs this, though.

I am prepared to take as long as I need to get to the end of this, and that's why I am asking only those with the willingness to see it through to apply.

Thanks for the support, and I'll be getting applications out to the volunteers soon!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Mraochan - Lost City
    Mraochan - Lost City Posts: 464 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    To clarify, for myself and others lol... basically what we're talking about here is going back to Age of Spirits?

If so, I approve of this in concept at least. Honestly have wished many times there was an AoS pserver.

Random thoughts:

I understand you want to stream, but I see no reason to limit the group size. Start a guild if enough people are interested, the more the merrier? Maybe I'm missing something.

I could potentially be available during the times specified, but not for more than a night or two per week. I am in NA on the east coast.

I actually tried to start something similar myself, amongst friends, a while back. I didn't want to use DC gear, everyone else did, so it got used. It is so OP on lower levels, it's not even funny.
    edited June 2013
    To clarify, for myself and others lol... basically what we're talking about here is going back to Age of Spirits?

In essence, yes.
    I understand you want to stream, but I see no reason to limit the group size. Start a guild if enough people are interested, the more the merrier? Maybe I'm missing something.

If enough people show interest, I would be more than happy to set up a faction for it. This, as of right now, is a gauge to see how many interested parties I have.
    I could potentially be available during the times specified, but not for more than a night or two per week. I am in NA on the east coast.

Go ahead and PM me. It may work out to us only doing it once or twice a week, depending on the schedules involved.
    I actually tried to start something similar myself, amongst friends, a while back. I didn't want to use DC gear, everyone else did, so it got used. It is so OP on lower levels, it's not even funny.

That's kind of what I was thinking, which is why it probably won't be allowed. We'll decide that for sure when the group is selected.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Mitachi - Dreamweaver
    Mitachi - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,201 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I like this. I've started a little cleric on the morai server already, quite fun. Though i do agree with what someone else said. We should use all the low level content available to use, like dreamchaser pack, stash, genie, questmaster, lucid dudes, harbinger etc. Fruits only allowed if you are up to date with your culti should be a rule though. And i think bh's should be done.
    edited June 2013
    I like this. I've started a little cleric on the morai server already, quite fun. Though i do agree with what someone else said. We should use all the low level content available to use, like dreamchaser pack, stash, genie, questmaster, lucid dudes, harbinger etc. Fruits only allowed if you are up to date with your culti should be a rule though. And i think bh's should be done.

The problem is, that nearly takes the teeth out of the challenge. Also, doing BH, while it would speed up the leveling, would make life a pain for the tank and/or cleric in the group. Most people would just funnel coins to their lower-level characters to keep them up-to-date on skills and gear, but with the rules I have laid out, that isn't an option. Thus, those classes with more expensive skills or repairs will be left in the dust by the other classes in the group.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• ovenusarmanio
    ovenusarmanio Posts: 6,695 Community Moderator
    edited June 2013
    Not to mention how is it any different or a challenge if you do the exact same thing everyone does when they make a new character on a different server? Usually challenges involve purposefully playing with an increased difficulty than the norm so that it will be a well, challenge. While the DC gear is OP, I don't think you should necessarily limit them. It still takes knowing how to play to use them effectively, and it's not like mold gear is easily available for low levels anymore. Some people never just used NPC gear and won't want to level up crafting just to have gear on an alt on a different server. It does make things more difficult to use those gears, but since you cannot actually travel back in-time and find good 3 star gear in the AH anymore for example, I think it would make it maybe too much more difficult than it needs to be. I find that req along the same lines as getting to 100 as opposed to 90.

Should make a requirement though to switch tt70 gear by farming tt yourselves until everyone has gear. It would make it more difficult but the good kind of difficult as it wouldn't be even more grinding on top of the grinding your doing just for gear. It would be difficult squad play stuff.

kritty%20sig_zpsp0y7ttsb.png
    Thanks to MikoTenshi for the Avi and Kritty for the Signature.
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Mitachi - Dreamweaver
    Mitachi - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,201 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The problem is, that nearly takes the teeth out of the challenge. Also, doing BH, while it would speed up the leveling, would make life a pain for the tank and/or cleric in the group. Most people would just funnel coins to their lower-level characters to keep them up-to-date on skills and gear, but with the rules I have laid out, that isn't an option. Thus, those classes with more expensive skills or repairs will be left in the dust by the other classes in the group.

Well its your show, its not as bad as you describe though. Bh wont do that to them, if anything it will teach them how to work as a team, learn how to play better, questing wont teach you everything. You get plenty of coins from quests, low level crafting mats makes wonderful coin as well, so you wont get left behind with coin for skills. For the tank and cleric you just need to create an order in which you level skills.

For example: Clerics level in this order: IH; Buffs; Res(though do yourself a favor and leave it at lvl 1 for the lolsb:chuckle); Wellspring; Purify; Plume shell; other heals; attacks; debuffs.
    That way the cleric will always be up to date with the highly important skills.

And with the Dreamchaser pack you wont need gear for a good 60lvls?