End Game Shard Reconsideration?

Options
Praxalis - Archosaur
Praxalis - Archosaur Posts: 190 Arc User
edited June 2013 in Mystic
So with the onset of +2 attack level shards do mystics fear the bite of a glass cannon as full sharded JoSD? Or is JOSD still superior to any other end-game sharding (i.e. full HP, HP/Garnet, full Garnet)
Post edited by Praxalis - Archosaur on

Comments

• CapnK - Sanctuary
    CapnK - Sanctuary Posts: 1,166 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Mmm, I think mystic is better off sharding defensively rather than +2 Attack. We're one of the shortest range casters (along with venos) so archers and other casters will pop us if we go +2 attack.

Garnets versus HP is going to depend on your individual gear, but I'd lean towards garnets overall.
  • klys
    klys Posts: 283 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Since this is endgame discussion we're assuming full r999 with new cape/helm/ornaments and refined extremely high, yeh?

JOSD > CIT > all other shards

Your ornaments with verdant give you all the pdef you'll need. HP and Defense levels will let you survive longer.
  • Alexis - Lothranis
    Alexis - Lothranis Posts: 264 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Options
    In normal conditions (against an opponent not sharded JoSA), Vitality stones are second best sharding after JoSD(afterwards Garnet gems and then Citrine gems). As your opponent's atk lvls increase Vit becomes better that JoSD.

The most effective shards depend on what gear you have. If you have the usual r9r3+g16 helm/cape+cube neck+a pdef ring all +10 +o'malley's, the threshold when Vit becomes better then JoSD is when your opponent has ~140 atk lvls. The more atk lvls he has after that, the more Vit becomes more effective over JoSD. If you also have the gear from NWs the threshold rises to ~145 atk lvls.

Ofc you'll also have to consider how many ppl will have those JoSA shards and how many of them you face. Because resharding for a specal kind of opponents you fight every once in a while seems like a waste.
    Youtube channel: youtube.com/user/FDB19
  • Zoldi - Lothranis
    Zoldi - Lothranis Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Vitality stones are second best sharding after JoSD(afterwards Garnet gems and then Citrine gems). As your opponent's atk lvls increase Vit becomes better that JoSD.

Are you talking about +20 vit stones or +10 vit stones ?

Personnaly I don't understand why a mystic would shard with vitality stones since for a caster 1 vitality point only equals to 10 HP (and a ridiculous amount of regeration or defensive points). So basically +10 vit stones < citrine gems for any caster class, isn't it ? And even if talking about +20 vit stones I would say that this doesn't worth it to my eyes.
  • Fissile - Archosaur
    Fissile - Archosaur Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Options

Personnaly I don't understand why a mystic would shard with vitality stones since for a caster 1 vitality point only equals to 10 HP (and a ridiculous amount of regeration or defensive points). So basically +10 vit stones < citrine gems for any caster class, isn't it ? And even if talking about +20 vit stones I would say that this doesn't worth it to my eyes.

Full Vit shards add 240 vitality (2400 hp for all casters except venos). In addition they add:

60 + 19.2% of equipment defense.

If you have low defense to begin with, you wont see much of a difference. Full vit shards will allow them to take roughly 31% more damage when buffed and 37% more damage when purged, whereas 115 hp shards will add a flat 28% to their HP pool. For reference, full JoSDs would reduce the damage taken from an attacker with 170 attack levels (r9s3 sin with chill of the deep) by 23%.

In fully endgame gear, a mystic probably has something like 7581 physical defense unbuffed.* The vit stones will add 1397 (2515 with verdant shell only, 4191 if you include BM and cleric buffs) physical defense and 2144 (3430 buffed) magic defense unbuffed.

For casters, JoSDs don't make sense against r9s3 until your armor is all +12, even when you ignore attack level shards. If you only have +10 or +11 ornaments, the case is a little better for JoSD, but if you are going to spend that kind of money you are better off refining ornaments to +12 and sharding Vits.

Against those opponents where JoSD do provide better defense (in the neighborhood of 120 or fewer attack levels), they will already be dealing far less damage so the added damage reduction isn't as imperative unless you are being attacked by multiple opponents simultaneously.

*Note I didn't include heaven ravager because I don't really think it is worth it for the money but it will make the case for Vits (slightly) better.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Alexis - Lothranis
    Alexis - Lothranis Posts: 264 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Options

Full Vit shards add 240 vitality (2400 hp for all casters except venos). In addition they add:

60 + 19.2% of equipment defense.

^ This is probably what you're overlooking. Basically with end game gear the def you gain from them is no longer 'ridiculous'.

And I agree that, money-wise, you get more out of +12ing your gear first if you had to choose between that and sharding JoSDs. If all your gear is +12 vit becomes better then JoSDs if your opponent has around 190 atk lvls. So you're just gonna have to consider those monster chars that can get that many atk lvls.
    Youtube channel: youtube.com/user/FDB19
  • Fissile - Archosaur
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Additionally, when you are +12 full JoSD, anyone with enough attack levels to overcome your defense levels has given up a tremendous amount of defense themselves. You might be able to take 1 less hit from them, but they probably won't be able to take more than 1 or 2 good hits from you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Zoldi - Morai
    Zoldi - Morai Posts: 1,595 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Alexis and Fissile, I need to thank both of you.

Maybe I will do some more maths on my side but you have just showed me something I will have to study. The fact that Vita stones weren't made for casters may have been too much fixed into my mind for years and I never considered to study that again with new end-game gears. I guess it's worth a try
    ~ Sage Mystic 105-105-105 ~
    ~ Sage Sin 103-103-102 ~
    ~ Sage vita Barb 103-102-101 ~
    ~ Sage BM 102-101 ~ Demon Archer 102 ~
    ~ Sage Cleric 102 ~ Demon Wizard 101 ~
    ~ Sage Seeker 101 ~ Sage Psy 101 ~
    ~ Sage Heavy Veno 101 ~ Demon Storm 9X ~ Dusk 6x ~
    Started playing this game in 2007 on Oracle (PW-MY) : Demon MG 101 - Sage EP 99 - WF 89
  • Praxalis - Archosaur
    Praxalis - Archosaur Posts: 190 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Options
    I mean yes I love JOSD to bits but Vit was always a second choice in the back of mind especially for end-game. Since I dont money drop as fast as most other players I wanted to see what would be best for Mystic. I did tinker around with Asterelle's survivability calc and it did recommend me a near full vit shard build given my current stats (which could change if I have R9 since Im in N2 with some pieces N3)

How hard is it for any single player to hit that/near that 190 attack level figure? Im assuming not very hard since you already have the bonuses from Rank + Jones + weapon b:shocked
  • Fissile - Archosaur
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Assassins:

Sage Chill of the Deep - 35 attack levels (30 for demon)
    Jones Blessing - 30 attack levels
    Full recast rank 9 gear - 33 attack levels (set bonus + 3 from belt)
    r9 recast weapon - 65 attack levels (up to 65)
    Badge of the cube defiance - 5 attack levels
    Star's Destiny - 5 attack levels
    n2 hat + cape - 5 attack levels

Total: 178 attack levels without any shards or engraves. I think with the new attack shards, assassins with around 200 attack levels will become commonplace.

Sage Psychics get 25 attack levels in black voodoo (22 demon), so they will be capable of similar attack levels.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CapnK - Sanctuary
    CapnK - Sanctuary Posts: 1,166 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Options
    O_o Well I just learned something today. I thought Vit just added that tiny bit of pdef and mdef, never knew about that percent bonus thing. I guess I should stop laughing at DarkSorcer's sharding. (although he should probably throw some drakeflames in there, still really easy to kill him with Absorb Soul).