Character names

Options
Soul_Ripper_ - Harshlands
Soul_Ripper_ - Harshlands Posts: 131 Arc User
edited November 2013 in Quality Corner
Ok, so before a certain patch in a long line of patches from the past, users were able to use / \ $ and _ in their names for a little more creativity. However, this ability has been disabled. My question is why and when can we expect to see it enabled again?
Soul_Ripper_ Lv 98 Sage Assassin Leader: MyLtlPwny

If you see this, then the thread has been PONIFIED!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Flutterbat is going to steal your apples! b:shocked
Post edited by Soul_Ripper_ - Harshlands on

Comments

• Psytrac - Dreamweaver
    Psytrac - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,488 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Options
    china probably did it. and for the why. no idea
    I'm a guy, not a woman, that is all
    "When you're on Team Bring it, every morning your feet hit the floor, the good lord says "good morning" and the devil says 'Oh **** they're up' " - Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson
    Are you on Team Bring it?
  • Azura - Lost City
    Azura - Lost City Posts: 2,281 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Options
    All those special symbols are so ugly. But is so hard to get a new name. Imo, pw should delete any character that hasn't logged in 1 year so its name becomes available.
  • Annalyse - Heavens Tear
    Annalyse - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,618 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Wow, you can't use underscores anymore? I agree the other symbols are lame anyway but taking away the use of underscores really would make it harder to make new names since so many are taken. And honestly.... what kind of issue could the use of underscores cause??
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Annalyse (veno) - Melosa (cleric) - Glynneth (archer) - Pickerel (sin)
    Florafang (wiz) - RubixCube (barb) - Laravell (psy) - Diviah (Mystic)
    Torchwood (BM) - Sataea (Seeker) - Wystera (Sin) - Allissere (SB)

Looking for a mature faction on HT? pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=760842
  • PotatoHeadQR - Dreamweaver
    PotatoHeadQR - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,507 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Ok, so before a certain patch in a long line of patches from the past, users were able to use / \ $ and _ in their names for a little more creativity. However, this ability has been disabled. My question is why and when can we expect to see it enabled again?

I lol'ed. seriously, having an assasin named assasin with some replacement of Ns or Ss with /\/ or $ etc is not creatavity, it's bordeline braindead. And guess who I'm not gonna be able to invite after a dc , alubaru or /\/\ADN\a/\/__....b:shutup
    you only purge once #yopo
  • SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Those were removed because it was causing issues in the databases on the Linux server. You won't see them return.

Well, I take that back... You could see them return, if Wanmei re-wrote the entire game so that it didn't run on a Linux server and used a different proprietary database structure. It's extremely unlikely that you'll ever see that happen. It would be easier to just develop another game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Psytrac - Dreamweaver
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Those were removed because it was causing issues in the databases on the Linux server. You won't see them return.
    this is HIGHLY untrue.. these types of names exist on w2i, and there are no issues there. and w2i is run by WanMei. the same company that provides the files for PWI (in fact, minus minor edits, they ARE PWI files)

It's simply being used as an excuse

yes, Sy, I do know more than you do
    "When you're on Team Bring it, every morning your feet hit the floor, the good lord says "good morning" and the devil says 'Oh **** they're up' " - Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson
  • SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited June 2013
    Options
    this is HIGHLY untrue.. these types of names exist on w2i, and there are no issues there. and w2i is run by WanMei. the same company that provides the files for PWI (in fact, minus minor edits, they ARE PWI files)

It's simply being used as an excuse

yes, Sy, I do know more than you do
    Hahaa I know you do, I'm just using the excuse given to us by local GM's because that's as far as I know on the situation. If you dig deep enough, you'll see that response by frankieraye or one of the other GM's/Admins.

If I really think about it though, it probably has some kind of issue that prevents the DQ points or Facebook blessing from functioning properly.

I personally have never had an issue with it because I can actually think of unique names that aren't in use, and don't have to use stupid characters.

Still, I strongly doubt that it will ever be changed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    Desdi - Sanctuary Posts: 8,680 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Well, to be honest I like that they prevent using \ / and $ because they look pretty ugly... but I consider the underscores alright.

Either way, like it's been said, it's probably something we won't be getting back so start being more creative and find unique names!
    [SIGPIC]http://i.imgur.com/MtwcqjL.png[/SIGPIC]
    ★ Venomancer videos - tinyurl.com/k6ppkw4 ★ Desdi - Demon ♪ Wyvelin - Sage ★
  • Psytrac - Dreamweaver
    edited June 2013
    Options
    If I really think about it though, it probably has some kind of issue that prevents the DQ points or Facebook blessing from functioning properly.

no, that's bad PHP-coding by the web team. that's all that is
  • Nymphali - Dreamweaver
    Nymphali - Dreamweaver Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Options
    All those special symbols are so ugly. But is so hard to get a new name. Imo, pw should delete any character that hasn't logged in 1 year so its name becomes available.

that already happens.
  • Nymphali - Dreamweaver
    Nymphali - Dreamweaver Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Thanks god they abolished that ugliness
    edited June 2013
    Options
    that already happens.

Not for that length of time, at least not for everyone. I know a few people that quit for 1-2 years, then reinstalled and started playing again, and their accounts were still active.
    I personally have never had an issue with it because I can actually think of unique names that aren't in use, and don't have to use stupid characters.

Same here - I only made one character that has an underscore and it was just for a fun name on a character that I don't even play.

However, I much prefer underscores to repeated letter borders like oOo and xXx. I don't mind the other annoying symbols being removed but I think underscores should have been left alone.

We'll probably just start seeing a lot more names like xXxXAssassinXxXx now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Looking for a mature faction on HT? pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=760842
  • PsychicTuna - Harshlands
    PsychicTuna - Harshlands Posts: 128 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Still can't use _ / \ or $.
    *Explodes into Tuna* ._.

Mains:

Doom_Panda- 102 R9 partial 3rd cast Sage Barb 29k HP.
    Dawnx - 100 Demon Cleric.
    Dawnx_- 101 Sage Cleric.
    DawnMyst- 94 Demon Mystic.
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Still can't use _ / \ or $.

I'm sure they intended for this change to happen and won't ever change it back.

Just like how they changed the use of symbols in faction slogans, then a GM promised me they would allow the use of periods, but then another GM told me it would never be changed. And it never got changed. They can't be bothered.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Toraah - Archosaur
    Toraah - Archosaur Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Options
    The '$' was very annoying, because when you go to say their name in normal chat, if they have an '$' for the first letter, the '$' will make it be in trade chat. If you are in NW then the message will be in nation chat, consuming 10,000 coins.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

youtube.com/user/xtorah - Assassin PK/TW/NW videos
  • RankNine - Momaganon
    RankNine - Momaganon Posts: 1,241 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Options
    *bump*

this is still important and even more after the indroduction of the indentity stones.
    i got a response to my support-ticket, saying this change was unintended and they are working on un-doing it.
    im still waiting and id love to see this happening!
    or finally wipe out those inactive accounts so we dont even have to use such "invalid chars" ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    noob, can only run, spawnkiller, only white vodoo, only plays for kd,
    never kills anyone, only gear, no skill, no life, cash only, eats dogfood to cash more, lives at moms,
    only survives cause of cleric heals, if we had your gear you would lose. b:cryb:cryb:cry
  • RankNine - Momaganon
    edited October 2013
    Options
    bump.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    never kills anyone, only gear, no skill, no life, cash only, eats dogfood to cash more, lives at moms,
    only survives cause of cleric heals, if we had your gear you would lose. b:cryb:cryb:cry
  • HanyIstok - Morai
    HanyIstok - Morai Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Options
    May i start crying now, because i cant use my national characters (ű
  • Breannak - Raging Tide
    Breannak - Raging Tide Posts: 642 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Options
    woah double post
  • RankNine - Momaganon
    edited November 2013
    Options
    new maintenance - and still "illegal char names"
    support said 1-2 weeks, that was 5 weeks ago.
    i want my 39 gold back.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Yeah, don't hold your breath on stuff like this. They promised me 7 months ago that they would fix it so that we could have periods in faction slogans again "soon."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]