Not Enough Indication that someone has the flag?

Options
Zsw - Dreamweaver
Zsw - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,087 Arc User
edited July 2013 in Nation Wars
Hello,

I wonder, am I the only one who feels that there isn't enough indication that either team has the flag? There are often many cases where we'd be fighting, and then suddenly, we get the message that our team or their team has captured the flag without us even realizing that they had the flag in the first place.

If you think about it, there really aren't much indication.

*The message that appears when someone captures the flag flashes by really quick if you're getting attacked, especially considering that the yellow text blends in with the myriad of flashes that appears every time someone uses a skill.

*The message indication in the small chatbox that someone has captured the flag is not very noticeable, and often gets overridden by damage taken and damage dealt.

*There are no visual indications on the HUD that someone is currently holding the flag.

*The mini map does not indicate that someone is currently holding the flag.

*The big map does not indication whether it is our team or their team with the flag.

I feel that alot of people fail to notice when the flag has spawned or when someone is carrying the flag. Often, a flag carrier would manage to capture the flag with only 2 or 3 people chasing after them. I think that there should be at the very least some sort of constantly active warning on the HUD when someone is currently holding the flag so that everyone in the instances may be alerted to support the flag carrier, or kill the opposition.

Anyone else feel the same?
Zsw -104 Sage Assassin
TehZsw - 100 Demon Archer

All Luck No Skillz PvPer: youtube.com/user/zsw007
Post edited by Zsw - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• opkossy
    opkossy Posts: 11,177 Community Moderator
    edited June 2013
    Options
    You can keep an eye on the score but that only works if you've been in the battle from the start and aren't joining one in progress.

I kinda agree that it would be nice to have a bit of an indication of which side has the flag (if any) once you've first ported in. Beyond that, I think it's actually fine that it doesn't make it easier on you because it forces you to pay attention to something else on top of the fight for survival. Adds another element that keeps it interesting, in a sense.
    (Insert fancy image here)
  • Zsw - Dreamweaver
    edited June 2013
    Options
    I would be fine paying attention while fighting, but the problem is pressing M is the only way. And I can't fight if i press M. So it's impossible to pay attention on top of fighting. You can do only one, not both. I'd rather it gets put on the mini map at least, so I can pay attention and still fight at the same time.
    Zsw -104 Sage Assassin

• ovenusarmanio
    ovenusarmanio Posts: 6,695 Community Moderator
    edited June 2013
    Options
    You should have people from your squad at each spawn point around the time of resets. Also, have battle chat up. Often low levels or people without the greatest gear will be camping the flag spawn zones and calling out locations. When you see a low level dig, often times its because they called the location 3-4 times, or waited around for a long time. And the only person that came near them was the enemy. So they dug to at least attempt to cap it. Best case scenario, they make it because the enemy that came along also was level or pathetically geared. Worse case scenario, they get a point for their team and the flag resets which is much better than an enemy capture. The funny thing is, so many people give them so much grief over it when really they just weren't paying close enough attention.

The flag announces when it's going to reset and when it's been dug. It shouldn't matter whether your side has it or theirs, once the flag starts moving you should be doing your best to follow it. Protect the flag carrier if it's your side or kill them if it's the enemy. Since I'm one of those people that just try to support whats going on, and call flag locations, etc I see this all the time. Our side just spending all their time in the center, while a flag carrier is focused fired by the other side. A lot of times, if the person had just had some support they would have captured it. It's one of my biggest pet peeves in NW. When everyone works together, it makes it so much more fun.

kritty%20sig_zpsp0y7ttsb.png
    Thanks to MikoTenshi for the Avi and Kritty for the Signature.
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Kalmiah - Raging Tide
    Kalmiah - Raging Tide Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Options
    I never had issues noticing whom has the flag... then again my chat is set very well to sow out when the flag gets captured and my squad keeps an eye on the flag.
  • Zsw - Dreamweaver
    edited June 2013
    Options
    I don't really have a squad. My old squad disbanded. Joining squads seem to always cause either me or my wife to dc before the war. I can't use vent these days. I'm sure that most of the population don't have a reliable squad either, or they won't be QQing about OP people all the time.

Now with that aside, I rarely see people call the flags. Even if they do call the flag, its unreliable because for whatever reason, Battle Chat is the same color as Nation chat spam so its easy to miss it. The Flag announce reset isn't that reliable either, for similar reason as the flag dug announcement. It flashes by too quickly. It should stay on screen persistently.

I'd love to protect the flag carrier. Except I can't do that if i don't know that the flag was even dug in the first place.
    Zsw -104 Sage Assassin

• Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    Sakubatou - Sanctuary Posts: 4,001 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Besides the giant red letters "OFFENSE HAS CAPTURED THE FLAG" and hitting 'm' and seeing someone carry the flag on the map? Its already pretty obvious all though hitting m can be sort of a hassle. It also appears in your damage log.

However I wouldn't be opposed, and it seems incredibly simple to implement, that a small flag icon appears next to the team score when someone is carrying the flag.

More important to me though, would be an icon that the flag has actually spawned. Someone turns in and loses the flag, you all run back to the center and start fighting over spawn points, its easy to miss the flag spawning while in the middle of a fight and there is no map to check or message in your log.
    Seven 100+ characters leveled the hard way. Free to play. Mystic, Psychic, and Wizard left to level. b:victory
  • Fae_Harpy - Archosaur
    Fae_Harpy - Archosaur Posts: 267 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Options
    I have a feeling many of you are playing with your sound off. In NW when the flag is dug or reset it makes a loud sound (similar to a gong being hit). Whenever I hear that sound I know to either watch chat for flag location or run tail to support my side/keep other side from capture.

Though it would be nice if the flag did appear on the mini map. When the flag is dug before a location is called out, the time I spend checking the map to see where it is can mean death if someone attacks me at the same time.
    AstriaFae
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I looked to the stars, my aim true.
    Heart peirced, the light flowed.
    And from the dust of Sagittarrius,
    I crafted a bow.
  • Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    Sakubatou - Sanctuary Posts: 4,001 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Options
    I have a feeling many of you are playing with your sound off. In NW when the flag is dug or reset it makes a loud sound (similar to a gong being hit). Whenever I hear that sound I know to either watch chat for flag location or run tail to support my side/keep other side from capture.

Though it would be nice if the flag did appear on the mini map. When the flag is dug before a location is called out, the time I spend checking the map to see where it is can mean death if someone attacks me at the same time.

Ah, true. Although I did recently switch to playing with the sound on some of the time because even fully zoomed out I can be hit by an archer and they'll be no where on my screen. Would die and be like 'wtfhow?' and then see in my damage log I had an archer that was no where near around and was 148 meters away ranging attacking me while I fought other people.
    Seven 100+ characters leveled the hard way. Free to play. Mystic, Psychic, and Wizard left to level. b:victory
  • Father_gold - Sanctuary
    Father_gold - Sanctuary Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Options
    i think what the OP is experiencing is a lag issue. i get it too, lately half of my squad gets the flag notifications a full 7-10 seconds before i do, same goes with lands and battles, and by my suspicion also the effect of my genie and apoth as well as map and on screen refreshing.

it was never as bad as last sunday for me, bad enough to open a thread about it. its starting to feel as if lag is an intentional debuff assigned to ppl who dont cash shop enough.
  • Zsw - Dreamweaver
    edited June 2013
    Options

I was not aware of that. Most people I know don't play with sound either actually. But I would like to just hear the sound of the flag. I'm not really interested in hearing anything else if I'm trying to talk to someone in the process. Anyway to work around that?
    Zsw -104 Sage Assassin

• Salari - Raging Tide
    Salari - Raging Tide Posts: 2,102 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Options
    it also states it on the screen when the flag has reset(respawned), only remote problem with this is comming into the battle after it has spawned and no one has dug it yet.
    Marine - Marshall - Raging Tides - Retired
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    DEMHEALSMAN - Dreamweaver
    Yes, because people really need 900+ dex or 1000+ magic just for the lulz
  • Azura - Lost City
    Azura - Lost City Posts: 2,281 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Pay more attention, I think is noticeable enough. If you have your pw's sounds off, turn at least the sounds on, that helps a lot with notifications.
  • Fae_Harpy - Archosaur
    Fae_Harpy - Archosaur Posts: 267 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Options
    I was not aware of that. Most people I know don't play with sound either actually. But I would like to just hear the sound of the flag. I'm not really interested in hearing anything else if I'm trying to talk to someone in the process. Anyway to work around that?

To hear the flag you need to have the effects sound on (music is separate). The sound is fairly loud so if you have your volume at the bare minimum you should still be able to hear it. I can hear it at the lowest setting and I'm partially deaf. That way the other effect sounds will not be so loud.
    AstriaFae
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I looked to the stars, my aim true.
    Heart peirced, the light flowed.
    And from the dust of Sagittarrius,
    I crafted a bow.
  • Zsw - Dreamweaver
    edited June 2013
    Options
    To hear the flag you need to have the effects sound on (music is separate). The sound is fairly loud so if you have your volume at the bare minimum you should still be able to hear it. I can hear it at the lowest setting and I'm partially deaf. That way the other effect sounds will not be so loud.

Thank you I will try that this weekend
    Zsw -104 Sage Assassin

• Sel_Darkmore - Dreamweaver
    Sel_Darkmore - Dreamweaver Posts: 350 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Most times I myself scream "West,East,Mid, Shut that Flag down!," b:surrender
    To think your OP is Fail, To know your role is OP
    Team work is Flawless,
    To think your better then the rest is shabby.

Blademaster - Celestial Demon
  • Zsw - Dreamweaver
    edited June 2013
    Options
    I was unable to distinguish the sound while running skype. Any other solutions?
    Zsw -104 Sage Assassin

• Apostasy - Raging Tide
    Apostasy - Raging Tide Posts: 1,197 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Options
    IF points +1 on either team ... THEN open MAP = see flag.

IF flag on map, go there.

IF flag not on map, pew pew or go to a flag spawn loc.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Linc - Raging Tide
    Linc - Raging Tide Posts: 589 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Options

This is true. "Defense/Offense grabbed the flag" = 1 point (grab = dig)
    "Defense/Offense captured the flag" = 10 points.

So if you see the score after a capture and you know the current score or when you enter and there is 1 or 12 points on the opposing team, then you know to hit M the first thing before doing anything. Look for flag, orient yourself, I do this by clicking either north or south on my mini-map and I auto-path in that direction.

The toughest part is orienting east and west, so if I open M and see the flag east side or west, then I click either SE, NE, SW, NW on the mini map to start autopathing. Remember if you click the mini-map if you try and change direction by the w,a,s,d and mouse right click, you will still end up at the spot you clicked on the map, so be sure and left click a spot on the ground or somewhere to stop the autopath.

You can also see a gold arrow on your UI when you mouse over the edges of the mini-map, and that's a rough indication of where you would like to direct. The flag bearer gets a red arrow on their UI as soon as they grab the flag and it stays there until captured. The red arrow is locked onto the capture point.

Or just turn up the annoying effects and listen to every little footstep and rustle of leaves and buff and skill effect in the game.
    I did not feel the treachery or inconstancy of a friend, nor the injuries of a secret or open enemy. I had no occasion of bribing, flattering, or pimping, to procure the favour of any great man, or of his minion; I wanted no fence against fraud or oppression: here was neither physician to destroy my body, nor lawyer to ruin my fortune; no informer to watch my words and actions, or forge accusations against me for hire: here were no gibers, censurers, backbiters, pickpockets, highwaymen, housebreakers, attorneys, bawds, buffoons, gamesters, politicians, wits, splenetics, tedious talkers, controvertists, ravishers, murderers, robbers, virtuosos; no leaders, or followers, of party and faction; no encouragers to vice, by seducement or examples; no dungeon, axes, gibbets, whipping-posts, or pillories; no cheating shopkeepers or mechanics; no pride, vanity, or affectation; no fops, bullies, drunkards, strolling prostitutes, or poxes; no ranting, lewd, expensive wives; no stupid, proud pedants; no importunate, overbearing, quarrelsome, noisy, roaring, empty, conceited, swearing companions; no scoundrels raised from the dust upon the merit of their vices, or nobility thrown into it on account of their virtues; no lords, fiddlers, judges, or dancing-masters.
    From Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift
  • The__Sun - Dreamweaver
    The__Sun - Dreamweaver Posts: 336 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Options
    I like the suggestion of indicating which team has the flag by giving it either a Blue flag for def and a red flag for offense on the larger map. Yes you can check by keeping track of the points but I don't think it should be an out of the question request to update the flag color.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    **** Laws of Physics I'm going to shoot crystals from my hands and summon meteors from the air.... Laws of Psychics
  • Zsw - Dreamweaver
    edited July 2013
    Options

That's like 3 if statements that I gotta analyze! Not to mention I have to define variables for int ourTeamPoints and int theirTeamPoints!

Ranged classes have more leeway, but melee classes kind of get focused and it could cost me a death to open my map to check where the flag currently is.

But well whatever, no one does nw now anyway. lol
    Zsw -104 Sage Assassin

• Zanryu - Dreamweaver
    Zanryu - Dreamweaver Posts: 7,261 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Options
    I don't get why a little indicator doesn't pop up on your map to tell you where the map is like an indicator pops up when you grab the flag telling you where to cap it. Your team grabs the flag, an indicator in your team's color pops up telling you the direction to head in order to reach it. An enemy grabs it, an indicator in their color pops up telling you where to head in order to reach it.

Could open the map to figure out specifically where the flag is, but I don't see why there's no real indicators as to the flag's location once it's been picked up.