Options
Linc - Raging Tide
Linc - Raging Tide Posts: 589 Arc User
edited June 2013 in Quality Corner
Type - Gameplay

Category - Chat

Location - Nation Wars Strategic Map

Description of the problem --
When moving across the map the chat box seems to disable if there is a "Nation Update" in the chat box. It will say something like "G6 are belong to us." So if I have my cursor in the chat box and typing when the system sends this message, suddenly the cursor is gone and it's like I hit the "esc" key on my keyboard to get the cursor out of the chat box.

It's really annoying and can even be disruptive when if someone types and doesn't know the cursor isn't in the box anymore and they hit the "enter" key, then it will send the person to base or back to the last position, because the game sees that hitting the "enter" key activates the "stop" button while the person is running to a new territory if there is no cursor in the chat box. Hitting the enter key in the normal ingame seems to put the cursor in the chat box, but not if in the Nation Wars Strategic Map. I know it sounds weird, but it's not easy to explain, but I'm sure that others have experienced it too.
I did not feel the treachery or inconstancy of a friend, nor the injuries of a secret or open enemy. I had no occasion of bribing, flattering, or pimping, to procure the favour of any great man, or of his minion; I wanted no fence against fraud or oppression: here was neither physician to destroy my body, nor lawyer to ruin my fortune; no informer to watch my words and actions, or forge accusations against me for hire: here were no gibers, censurers, backbiters, pickpockets, highwaymen, housebreakers, attorneys, bawds, buffoons, gamesters, politicians, wits, splenetics, tedious talkers, controvertists, ravishers, murderers, robbers, virtuosos; no leaders, or followers, of party and faction; no encouragers to vice, by seducement or examples; no dungeon, axes, gibbets, whipping-posts, or pillories; no cheating shopkeepers or mechanics; no pride, vanity, or affectation; no fops, bullies, drunkards, strolling prostitutes, or poxes; no ranting, lewd, expensive wives; no stupid, proud pedants; no importunate, overbearing, quarrelsome, noisy, roaring, empty, conceited, swearing companions; no scoundrels raised from the dust upon the merit of their vices, or nobility thrown into it on account of their virtues; no lords, fiddlers, judges, or dancing-masters.
From Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift
Post edited by Linc - Raging Tide on

Comments

• Zanryu - Dreamweaver
    Zanryu - Dreamweaver Posts: 7,261 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Not a bug, but rather by design as far as I or anyone else knows. I've already got a thread on it in the suggestion box. It's not quite as detailed as yours, but the point isn't a hard one to get across.
  • Zheii - Archosaur
    Zheii - Archosaur Posts: 2,732 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Options
    ^This.

The problem is really annoying and needs to be fixed z.z
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Queen of Silly, circa 2014, as conferred by the late great Proski Wallace.
  • Annalyse - Heavens Tear
    Annalyse - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,618 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Options
    I don't even run NW anymore but when I did, this was the most irritating thing about it. Even if it was intended they probably didn't foresee the problems it would cause, and it should be fixed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Annalyse (veno) - Melosa (cleric) - Glynneth (archer) - Pickerel (sin)
    Florafang (wiz) - RubixCube (barb) - Laravell (psy) - Diviah (Mystic)
    Torchwood (BM) - Sataea (Seeker) - Wystera (Sin) - Allissere (SB)

Looking for a mature faction on HT? pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=760842
  • Heartz - Dreamweaver
    Heartz - Dreamweaver Posts: 422 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Yea it's super annoyingan. I never respond to pms unless i'm in a battle.. and with the long flying time to lands it would be nice to be able to type between battles.
    105 - 105 - 105 (14th march 2014)

• Crixxix - Raging Tide
    Crixxix - Raging Tide Posts: 848 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Options
    I highly doubt that this is by design. I do seem to think, for some reason, that this happens outside of NW as well if system messages appear. I can't say for sure, but I think for some reason that it does.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sachelfunlol
    sachelfunlol Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Options
    I highly doubt that this is by design. I do seem to think, for some reason, that this happens outside of NW as well if system messages appear. I can't say for sure, but I think for some reason that it does.

They may mean an unintended error by how that part of the game is designed
    Lets troll the forums together b:victory
  • Fissile - Archosaur
    Fissile - Archosaur Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Options
    For the love of twinkies they need to fix this
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Linc - Raging Tide
    edited April 2013
    Options
    This was the only board I searched before I posted. I suppose one could argue that it was in the design, especially since on the Strategic map on the lower right panel it says only "Show" the chat and not "Type" in chat. Still it just feels buggy, maybe if it is posted here and also in the suggestion box, then they might look into it. I have a feeling it is related to the "Show the chat box" button because with no chat box visible, then there is no typing possible. And after pressing Show chat box button, then chat window appears but suddenly typing becomes much more difficult than ever elsewhere in the game. I saw the chat issue thread already in this board, but it seemed to be an entirely different "bug" than the NW chat problem.
    I did not feel the treachery or inconstancy of a friend, nor the injuries of a secret or open enemy. I had no occasion of bribing, flattering, or pimping, to procure the favour of any great man, or of his minion; I wanted no fence against fraud or oppression: here was neither physician to destroy my body, nor lawyer to ruin my fortune; no informer to watch my words and actions, or forge accusations against me for hire: here were no gibers, censurers, backbiters, pickpockets, highwaymen, housebreakers, attorneys, bawds, buffoons, gamesters, politicians, wits, splenetics, tedious talkers, controvertists, ravishers, murderers, robbers, virtuosos; no leaders, or followers, of party and faction; no encouragers to vice, by seducement or examples; no dungeon, axes, gibbets, whipping-posts, or pillories; no cheating shopkeepers or mechanics; no pride, vanity, or affectation; no fops, bullies, drunkards, strolling prostitutes, or poxes; no ranting, lewd, expensive wives; no stupid, proud pedants; no importunate, overbearing, quarrelsome, noisy, roaring, empty, conceited, swearing companions; no scoundrels raised from the dust upon the merit of their vices, or nobility thrown into it on account of their virtues; no lords, fiddlers, judges, or dancing-masters.
  • Nariin - Dreamweaver
    Nariin - Dreamweaver Posts: 890 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Ikr .__. I avoid typing in NW because it's like: [start typing][chatbox suddenly diselects so I open a bunch of windows with hotkeys][close the windows][select chatbox][start typing again]... etc. takes like 5 attempts to finish one sentence sometimes.

I don't think they "intended" it to be like that, but also not something that isn't how they made it. They probably just didn't think of it. I'd count it a bug and suggestion.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
    Want a custom faction/fav icon? Look no further! Visit my 👿 Icon Repository in the Fanatics Forum.
    ~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
    ^ but please, for the love of god, read the first page before making requests (UPDATED)
  • Annalyse - Heavens Tear
    Annalyse - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,618 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Options

System messages don't do this to me. Some quest completions will though, like when the bosses die in Rebirth.

Really, nothing should override chat. It's very annoying.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Annalyse (veno) - Melosa (cleric) - Glynneth (archer) - Pickerel (sin)
    Florafang (wiz) - RubixCube (barb) - Laravell (psy) - Diviah (Mystic)
    Torchwood (BM) - Sataea (Seeker) - Wystera (Sin) - Allissere (SB)

Looking for a mature faction on HT? pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=760842
  • Nymphali - Dreamweaver
    Nymphali - Dreamweaver Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Options
    I vote for an option to disable [NATION] channel spam on my 'U' option's gui.
  • genotypist
    genotypist Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Options
    We understand. Thanks for letting us know. We'll repro this. I'll be frank that since it's a convenience issue, it's going to be lower on the queue. We'll still make sure the devs know about it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "Life is short...Bury! Steady Sword!"
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Options
    genotypist wrote: »
    We understand. Thanks for letting us know. We'll repro this. I'll be frank that since it's a convenience issue, it's going to be lower on the queue. We'll still make sure the devs know about it.

It's not convenience it's usability. When the chatbox loses focus while you are typing you are very likely to fill the screen with random UI windows. Being able to communicate effectively with your team is a core component of NW gameplay because of the scouting and coordination that is needed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • Linc - Raging Tide
    edited May 2013
    Options
    It's not convenience it's usability. When the chatbox loses focus while you are typing you are very likely to fill the screen with random UI windows. Being able to communicate effectively with your team is a core component of NW gameplay because of the scouting and coordination that is needed.

Thank you Asterelle, and not only this, and I do partially agree with the convenience bit, but not the bit about having chat as a convenience, but the total inconvenience if and when the chat loses focus, there is a possible consequence of losing contact with your team because all your UI is now might communicate to the game that you are asking it to send you back to base when all you really want to do is to coordinate with the squad via the chat box. Like someone else above suggested, I rather see the box disabled or see a checkbox option in the UI game chat section for the Nation Wars Battle Chat.

But don't get me wrong Geno, I totally understand that there are SOOOOOO much bigger moles to whack, than a measly chat box in a popular instance, so i'm happy as long as you actually eventually bring this to attention one day, rather than to quickly dismiss this as a "Convenience."

b:beatup
  • Nymphali - Dreamweaver
    Nymphali - Dreamweaver Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Also, it would be amazing if we could disable nation chat from group chat view.
  • Crixxix - Raging Tide
    edited June 2013
    Options
    genotypist wrote: »

As Asterelle said, it's not a convenience issue, it is a communication issue. As a result of this issue, I normally don't use one of NW's key features: the ability to join with a squad. I normally run solo, and if I do run with a squad, each and every member of the squad that I join must use Ventrilo or another VoIP program. I feel that by not fixing this, it conveys that PWI supports (or at least fails to discourage) the use of 3rd party programs.

I think that what the Dev's need to understand is that discouraging the use of 3rd party programs is a matter of psychology. If the game provides it's players with everything that they need to efficiently play the game (In this case, proper communication features), then they no longer have the need to use a 3rd party program, such as Vent, etc.

I know that PWCN was supposed to get it's own in-house VoIP feature, did that get implemented? If so, is it up to par with something like Vent or RaidCall? If the answer to both questions is "yes", then it may be time that PWI looks into integrating this feature into our version.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Jaabg - Sanctuary
    Jaabg - Sanctuary Posts: 2,256 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Not everyone has ventrilo, for people like me who like to communicate through chat, i can't do it in nw at all. This has discouraged quite a few friends of mine, which usually ends up with them not playing for a few months.

The content has become quite bottleneck for endgame pve people. By not having this, chances keep on increasing that you loose old customers, sure you get new cash shoppers. But why play the game of lose some and gain some, when the issue could be resolved and keep both sides.
  • Crixxix - Raging Tide
    edited June 2013
    Options
    I agree. One of the biggest issues here is lack of advertising for the game. The only advertising that they really have (At least for the international version) is word of mouth, and I don't think those words are so kind these days. Yes, they need to bring in people, but it's pointless to do so until they find a way to fix the major problems with the game. Once they do that, they can focus on the smaller issues while they bring in new players.

I know that strayed from the original topic, but I do feel that what I said is worth noting anywhere, not just in a specific topic.

I know it's a little hypocritical, but let's stay on topic guys. b:cute
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Father_gold - Sanctuary
    Father_gold - Sanctuary Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Options
    this is by far one of the most annoying things about NW, aside from the huge lag problem as of late. they really need to fix this, fortunately i use vent with my squad but some members are not always on it and typing directions is more than a hassle. i imagine that squads that dont use an outside program to communicate would be much out of sorts having to deal with that. i mean at least make it possible to hit enter to activate the chat cursor.
  • Peccable - Raging Tide
    Peccable - Raging Tide Posts: 199 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Options

this is not only limited to nation wars, although it is particularly particularly annoying there. (and this completely irrelevant message spam cannot even be filtered!) the pwi ui has a general problem with stealing focus from the chatbox. every time something gets completed or updated in the background: goodbye chatbox and hello random ui windows and error messages "this key has been occupied by xxx. confirm to apply?"

there is also an inconsistency with the error and info messages. bank/gear pass will give me a pop-up window on correct pw input and asking for my "ok" for whatever reason. but when the wrong password is given, one will get just a nice and non intrusive message within the general-message-box. why are not ALL info texts moved to the general-message-box?
    green info text in general message box on success
    red info text in general message box on failure
    the pop-up should be limited to very important dialogues only, like "do you really want to npc that 300m item". no one should be bothered with daffy pop-ups that have no option but "ok" on every second trivial action!