Bans from Proxies

Jaabg - Sanctuary
Jaabg - Sanctuary Posts: 2,256 Arc User
edited June 2013 in Suggestion Box
I was wondering, since pwi does have a tool that detects proxies and bans the person like no tomorrow. Would it be possible that when you log in before the game starts, if the game detects proxies, it gives you a prompt, proxies detects, continue or cancel.

People like me who need proxies to browse the net because everything seems to be blocked
-removed, feel free to reformat in a way that doesn't break forum rules-

The question i want to ask, should pwi have a prompt popping up if it detects proxies when you log on, that tells you to turn proxies off. You can turn them off and click continue. Or you can click continue and try your luck. -removed-
Post edited by Jaabg - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Xdmghyper - Lost City
    Xdmghyper - Lost City Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    why don't u just use normal connections?
  • DoggyStylin - Sanctuary
    DoggyStylin - Sanctuary Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Did you even read his post?
  • Jaabg - Sanctuary
    edited May 2013

People like me who need proxies to browse the net because everything seems to be blocked,

I know, alien concept to most of you in usa (usually) b:cry. I never thought it was a big issue, until i started using the net here. You can google countries that censor the net. There are only a handful, USA wants to become one of those countries. About 1/3~1/2 of the links i use from google while researching things are blocked. That is why i use proxies to access databases, websites, entertainment.

How can such a lucrative product like the internet give free stuff, not possible in the capitalist world b:laugh.

Canadians often do it to access content on the usa sites. USA sites often block access to canadians for watching tv shows on their sites, even though they air them here. It would make sense if the programs were not aired here. Youtube imposes blocks as well, some content is country specific.

I just presumed you were not aware of why people use proxies b:cute, don't take it in a bad way.
  • ovenusarmanio
    ovenusarmanio Posts: 6,695 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    Bans are not to be discussed on the forums. But since this is primarily a suggestion for a nifty feature, gonna move this to the suggestion box.

kritty%20sig_zpsp0y7ttsb.png
    Thanks to MikoTenshi for the Avi and Kritty for the Signature.
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Crixxix - Raging Tide
    Crixxix - Raging Tide Posts: 848 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    In what way are bans not to be discussed, Venus? Is it one of those things that PWI might indeed ban someone over something stupid, and don't wanna get caught? We've all heard horror stories from people who get banned for some minor rule break, probably not even knowingly breaking it, mind you. I've always thought to myself: most of them deserve the bans, and are just QQ'ing.

The more and more that I hear about these things, the more I now have to correct myself: That many people can't possibly be lying.

Does PWI have a good, legitimate reason for not allowing proxies?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Veneir - Dreamweaver
    Veneir - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,541 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Probabily because PWI is not allowed to be played from certain countries, and accessing certain servers from certain countries is reason enough for a permanent ban; the use of proxies would be a potential loop in the system of this security measure, so therefore the worst is assumed, and it in itself is bannable.
    Or at least, that's what I figure the logic behind it is.
    "Clearly, the only logical option is Squid." -Decus <コ:彡 <コ:彡
    I'm helplessly needless, and needless to say I owe you | Well I'd pull, teeter away, at the earth with my teeth, to touch your face alive | You lie, helplessly still | As your face falls apart | Well I can make your face brand new | Come take my hand and I'll take your hand | And I will pull you out | Into the sun.
    First fell into an army of noob mobs on 19/3/2009~ Upside-down fox and old-colour squid <┻┻~ [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ovenusarmanio
    edited May 2013
    In what way are bans not to be discussed, Venus? Is it one of those things that PWI might indeed ban someone over something stupid, and don't wanna get caught? We've all heard horror stories from people who get banned for some minor rule break, probably not even knowingly breaking it, mind you. I've always thought to myself: most of them deserve the bans, and are just QQ'ing.

The more and more that I hear about these things, the more I now have to correct myself: That many people can't possibly be lying.

Basically, specific bans are not to be discussed on the forums but you can discuss the rules. Or suggest ways to make the game better, such as OP's suggestion. :P Hence the reason this thread is not closed. That rule goes for all specific bans and isn't limited to just certain ones.

• Crixxix - Raging Tide
    edited May 2013
    Okay, so why aren't bans to be discussed on forums? Is there a legitimate reason? Or is that another of PWI's ways to try to keep us in the dark on their incompetency?

Another question is why PWI can't be played in certain countries. I personally use a proxy every day, I just turn it off for PWI. I use a proxy for internet security, because the amount of hackers out there is ridiculous. PWI says protect your account info at all times, so by using a proxy, I'd actually be following their own rules.

I've seen a lot of people say that no one would **** a FTP game account to sell. Think of it like this. Your a skilled hacker. You **** a r9r3 + full JOSD account, and sell it for say, $300. Full r9 is over $1000, so your customer just came out ahead.

The days of privacy on the internet is long gone. Anything that you post, type, etc can immediately be found by anyone, so taking a simple precaution such as jumping behind a proxy is reasonable enough.

Maybe PWI's reasoning for this is that they work for the US government, helping them with their nefarious schemes.

But no really, all BS aside, it's a little layer of protection in a world that offers little safeguards, that make people feel more comfortable using the internet. Is it really right for one company that is starting to die to say that we can't use a proxy?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ovenusarmanio
    edited May 2013
    ATM I can only speculate. I don't actually know, I'll have to ask. This is personal experience only!, I'll poke V4l to give a specific reason....

But from my experience, I can't think of any company that wants their game boards ruined by people discussing bans. Problem customers in any business really aren't allowed to stand there and rant at the patrons about the reason they got thrown out. That isn't unique to PWI. It's the case everywhere here in the USA, if I get refused entrance to a club because my friend is too drunk. I can't just stand there and rant to the customers in line, they'll tell me take a hike...Most every ban discussion I've seen people do, they all claim total innocence. I've seen hundreds of people claim it was for no reason, or describe things they should have been banned for and then claim they shouldn't have been. Only twice have I ever seen a person admit they did wrong, and ask for forgiveness from the players he had wronged. The playerbase was less than kind about it.I have seen innocents get banned but that was quickly resolved..... I will say that PWI is super tolerant of people doing things like scaring it's new customers away and does a good job of letting us discuss controversial in-game topics. :P And that they tend to err toward the sign of not banning people, to the point the playerbase as a whole want more in-game monitoring. And one of their largest PR disasters came about because they wouldn't ban people.

As for the proxy thing, I'll ask. I get the feeling that it has something to do with banned regions and that type of thing. I know a quick google search advertised showed up with people asking how to play from banned regions, or circumvent bans using them. :P

• v4liance
    v4liance Posts: 579 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hey guys,

Regarding the proxy IP issues:
    1) I think a warning prompt is a really good idea, and I'll pass it along to my team. I can't promise that it'll get implemented, but it's definitely worth considering.
    2) The reasons why we have rules against the use of IP proxies are a mixture of regional licensing issues and security concerns. I can't really go into detail on this, but please know that prohibiting the use of proxy IPs is fairly standard practice.

Regarding the discussion of bans on the forum:
    - Please don't discuss specific bans.

The forums aren't the proper place to discuss having been banned, or a personal disagreement with a rule that lead to being banned - it's better to work with our support team to resolve any such issues.

That said, I think threads like this are fair and reasonable, and we're always looking for ways to help keep our players informed!

- Val
  • Crixxix - Raging Tide
    edited May 2013
    I see your point Venus, but this is an issue that is being handled just like every other issue that occurs here: Punishing the many for the actions of the few. Let's look at the past:

FC Goons

Reasonable Solutions:

Creating a way to alert PWI Staff of people who were abusing the glitch, then banning. Removing Goon spawns from Jail Boss.

PWI's Solution:

Nerf the experience gained from all goons in the instance, thus eliminating many people's use of "Full" FC.

Low level DQ drops

Reasonable Solutions:

Update the anti-cheating software. PWE supposedly takes pride in their anti-cheating software, but I now see more anti-cheating software in a Nintendo 3DS game than on PWI. Botters thrive here, it's no mystery among us players that appropriate actions fail to be taken against botters.

PWI's solution:

Nerf all low level DQ item prices, hence creating a period of PWI history where making money at low levels was difficult. People pleaded for a reversal of this judgment, PWI failed to reply. People quit early on due to the inability to make sufficient coin in a reasonable amount of time. PWI eventually introduced the Jolly Old Jones quests, which offers a decent amount of coin per day, for a relatively easy quest. Even then, that is, if the Advanced Grinding Machine is functioning correctly...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • heerohex#3018
    heerohex#3018 Posts: 4,880 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    I see your point Venus, but this is an issue that is being handled just like every other issue that occurs here: Punishing the many for the actions of the few. Let's look at the past:

FC Goons

Reasonable Solutions:

Creating a way to alert PWI Staff of people who were abusing the glitch, then banning. Removing Goon spawns from Jail Boss.

PWI's Solution:

Nerf the experience gained from all goons in the instance, thus eliminating many people's use of "Full" FC.

Low level DQ drops

Reasonable Solutions:

Update the anti-cheating software. PWE supposedly takes pride in their anti-cheating software, but I now see more anti-cheating software in a Nintendo 3DS game than on PWI. Botters thrive here, it's no mystery among us players that appropriate actions fail to be taken against botters.

PWI's solution:

Nerf all low level DQ item prices, hence creating a period of PWI history where making money at low levels was difficult. People pleaded for a reversal of this judgment, PWI failed to reply. People quit early on due to the inability to make sufficient coin in a reasonable amount of time. PWI eventually introduced the Jolly Old Jones quests, which offers a decent amount of coin per day, for a relatively easy quest. Even then, that is, if the Advanced Grinding Machine is functioning correctly...

LOL!

Agree something i hope another program will help!

Goons could still be changed tho... not to late all it needs is another mob linked to the spawn mob with low EXP and put the other goons back to what they where... As for the anti cheat well people will alwayz find a way its just about staying infront of the game...
  • Crixxix - Raging Tide
    edited May 2013
    That's just it Heero, this game is based from China, where their too money hungry to hire a few people to watch for botters.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ovenusarmanio
    edited May 2013
    Guys, please stick to the subject of the thread. Thanks.

• Crixxix - Raging Tide
    edited May 2013
    Guys, please stick to the subject of the thread. Thanks.

We are on topic. I was just using a few examples to show how lazy china's Dev's are. Instead of finding other ways of catching people playing from other countries, they decrease our use of internet security. Why is PWI even so worried about people playing from certain countries? It's not often that I make myself look like an epic fail, but I fail to see what people playing from other countries has to do with licensing restrictions. I am NOT blaming Val here, but he hasn't been able to give us a specific answer as to why. I understand that he isn't able to, but it makes me curious what PWCN has to hide from us.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ovenusarmanio
    edited May 2013
    We are on topic. I was just using a few examples to show how lazy china's Dev's are. Instead of finding other ways of catching people playing from other countries, they decrease our use of internet security. Why is PWI even so worried about people playing from certain countries? It's not often that I make myself look like an epic fail, but I fail to see what people playing from other countries has to do with licensing restrictions. I am NOT blaming Val here, but he hasn't been able to give us a specific answer as to why. I understand that he isn't able to, but it makes me curious what PWCN has to hide from us.

The topic is actually a suggestion to have an automatic popup warning players who are using a proxy, that they have their proxy enabled. Since some people use the proxies for legitimate reasons, but then might end up banned because they forget to turn them off. It raised some good questions, which I asked Hey, You! to respond to, but I didn't mean for it to hijack the OP with discussion of the policies of PWE. That's a different topic. I admit it's partially my fault it got derailed a bit. :P

@OP

I'm personally very much in support of this topic, and hope that it gets implemented. It'd probably be easier on PWI too since they would probably have to deal with a lot less people who are getting caught up in a rule that really isn't meant to target them.

• Crixxix - Raging Tide
    edited May 2013
    Let's not forget that not all rules (most of them, actually), are even listed in the ToS, and not all of them are exactly easy to find. I support this too, by the way. PWI tends to hide the rules in different places on the forums, a lot of these threads are probably buried somewhere around here.

@Venus

I figured this thread would be about proxies in general, not just a pop up. It's pretty much human nature for people to get slightly off-topic, but we're still basically in the same ballpark, per say.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • IamNotaArch - Raging Tide
    IamNotaArch - Raging Tide Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I actually sent in a ticket regarding this software tht asks u if u want to continue if a open proxy has been detected not knowing about this thread, i hope i dont get this necro'd (dont know the period for stuff to get necro'd), i usually skip posts like these but recently i got auto banned because of this problem, (sent in a ticket Tuesday and still waiting) but this is not about my ban, ill wait till my time comes up. This is about the proxy ban feature in general, the detection software has already been taken into consideration i think by vals post above so now im suggestion something else, is it possible for the customer care reps to branch off into different sub-groups? and each sub-groups has a different area they specialize in so like in my case it would be a sub-group who only attends to ban tickets so this process could be dealt with quicker and more in dept. Just something i thought of jus now i dont know if it is already happening but if not i think it would be a good idea.
  • Crixxix - Raging Tide
    edited June 2013
    Don't worry man, I think the Necro period is 30 days. I think having sub groups for the CS department is a good idea, as Customer Service is fairly slow. I think that this company definitely needs to get some of us players, who have common sense working there, instead of some idiot with a degree. I don't care what school you go to, none of them can fix stupid. Fail person is fail, and stupid person is stupid.

I'm waiting to see what Val has to say about the topic feature, as I think it would be a good start to the company giving warnings, incase someone forgets a small detail, or doesn't know a particular rule.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Jaabg - Sanctuary
    edited June 2013
    Thanks for replying Val. The framework already exists to ban users b:laugh, and boy does it pounce hard on you b:cry. Just tweaking it slightly, will help stop all the tickets inflow for this specific issue because some numb walnut like me left their proxies on as venus pointed out.

I really do hope so venus b:victory, it will save quite a few people lots of grief.

Crixxix - i understand your pain, best to create your own threads for the matter
  • memofox82
    memofox82 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    ATM I can only speculate. I don't actually know, I'll have to ask. This is personal experience only!, I'll poke V4l to give a specific reason....

But from my experience, I can't think of any company that wants their game boards ruined by people discussing bans. Problem customers in any business really aren't allowed to stand there and rant at the patrons about the reason they got thrown out. That isn't unique to PWI. It's the case everywhere here in the USA, if I get refused entrance to a club because my friend is too drunk. I can't just stand there and rant to the customers in line, they'll tell me take a hike...Most every ban discussion I've seen people do, they all claim total innocence. I've seen hundreds of people claim it was for no reason, or describe things they should have been banned for and then claim they shouldn't have been. Only twice have I ever seen a person admit they did wrong, and ask for forgiveness from the players he had wronged. The playerbase was less than kind about it.I have seen innocents get banned but that was quickly resolved..... I will say that PWI is super tolerant of people doing things like scaring it's new customers away and does a good job of letting us discuss controversial in-game topics. :P And that they tend to err toward the sign of not banning people, to the point the playerbase as a whole want more in-game monitoring. And one of their largest PR disasters came about because they wouldn't ban people.

As for the proxy thing, I'll ask. I get the feeling that it has something to do with banned regions and that type of thing. I know a quick google search advertised showed up with people asking how to play from banned regions, or circumvent bans using them. :P

then what should to do also my another user banned from 2 days and I don't know how I can recover it

for me also I use proxy but in our case the government in my country they block 90 % from the website that why we use the SPOT Shield to can open it