Why PWI will never die

HrunsPanda - Archosaur
HrunsPanda - Archosaur Posts: 1,136 Arc User
edited May 2013 in Off-Topic Discussion
I quite a piece out of this article

By far the funniest, or maybe the most horrifying, illustration of this situation is Cow Clicker, a
Facebook game created in 2011 by the game designer Ian Bogost as a satire of undemanding "social games" such as FarmVille in which, as Bogost put it, "you click on a cow, and that's it". In Cow Clicker, you clicked on your cow and it mooed, and that was it: you then had to wait another six hours to click again, unless you were willing to part with real money (or virtual money, accumulated through clicking) for the right to click again immediately. Bogost's joke became a surprise hit: at its height, Cow Clicker had more than 50,000 users, some paying $20 or more for pointless "improvements" to their cow, such as making it face the opposite direction.

"After a while," Bogost told a US radio interviewer, "I realised they're doing exactly what concerned me about these games" becoming "compulsively attached". "I began to feel very disturbed about the product." Eventually, a few months after the launch, Bogost eliminated all the cows in a Rapture-like event he called the Cowpocalypse. After it, users could keep playing only by clicking on a bare patch of grass and some actually did. Responding to a player who complained that Cow Clicker was no longer "a very fun game", Bogost replied, "It wasn't very fun before."

Keep QQing, you'll keep klicking anyway :D
Post edited by HrunsPanda - Archosaur on

Comments

• Veneir - Dreamweaver
    Veneir - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,541 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well that's.... interesting. Props for sharing, I guess. e.e
    "Clearly, the only logical option is Squid." -Decus <コ:彡 <コ:彡
    I'm helplessly needless, and needless to say I owe you | Well I'd pull, teeter away, at the earth with my teeth, to touch your face alive | You lie, helplessly still | As your face falls apart | Well I can make your face brand new | Come take my hand and I'll take your hand | And I will pull you out | Into the sun.
    First fell into an army of noob mobs on 19/3/2009~ Upside-down fox and old-colour squid <┻┻~ [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • KingCrash - Dreamweaver
    KingCrash - Dreamweaver Posts: 702 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Click~
  • ovenusarmanio
    ovenusarmanio Posts: 6,695 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    o.o

Very interesting article. :P I played Farmville for a bit because organizing the farm was relaxing, and you could make some pretty stuff. But I kinda quickly lost interest in it when I realized all it was waiting around for the plants to grow. I do have a coworker that spent like 50 bucks on that neverwither thingy that made all her plants last forever and all these upgrades and stuff. :3 But I didn't really see the point. Don't know what that says about my psychology other than I was one very bored receptionist. xD

Anyway, these kind of studies is more of an off-topic discussion so -moved-

kritty%20sig_zpsp0y7ttsb.png
    Thanks to MikoTenshi for the Avi and Kritty for the Signature.
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • HrunsPanda - Archosaur
    HrunsPanda - Archosaur Posts: 1,136 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ye pretty off topic i guess :p

I just thought this cow story was quite hilarious. About the topic of the article, no i cant get to addicted to games that are too simple either. As soon as my crops are feeding solders like in travian, it can get pretty bad though b:laugh

I am however very compulsively addicted to this forum, facebook and hotmail. I keep cycling them constantly hoping there is something new. And when im doing something else that is not interesting enough to occupy me (mostly work kind of things rather than fun kind of things) i will constantly feel like i should go check if there is something new already.

Well see ya all in a few minutes, gotta go check my facebook now.....
  • MageMERC - Harshlands
    MageMERC - Harshlands Posts: 1,600 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I quite a piece out of this article

By far the funniest, or maybe the most horrifying, illustration of this situation is Cow Clicker, a

Keep QQing, you'll keep klicking anyway :D

Very interesting and absolutely confirms the existence of the 'cattle class' society where one person mindlessly follows another. I have felt this way in PWI for a while now - log on, do some dailies - log off....

That's why Im exploring Neverwinter atm, but it doesn't seem much different.......
  • Crixxix - Raging Tide
    Crixxix - Raging Tide Posts: 848 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    LOL! Kowpocalypse! I like playing Halo 4, although I only do Infinity Slayer. Great times when you get your buddies over and do split screen parties, or you all use ur own xbox live accounts on the same TV.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • soundslegit
    soundslegit Posts: 472 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I thought this thread was going to be about fashion.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    Sakubatou - Sanctuary Posts: 4,001 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I thought this thread was going to be about fashion.

b:laugh

...click.
    Seven 100+ characters leveled the hard way. Free to play. Mystic, Psychic, and Wizard left to level. b:victory
  • Alsiadorra - Sanctuary
    Alsiadorra - Sanctuary Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    some paying $20 or more for pointless "improvements" to their cow, such as making it face the opposite direction.

b:laugh LOL nice mockery there..
  • Crixxix - Raging Tide
    Crixxix - Raging Tide Posts: 848 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    /inb4close
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Pandapple - Raging Tide
    Pandapple - Raging Tide Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I am however very compulsively addicted to this forum, facebook and hotmail. I keep cycling them constantly hoping there is something new. And when im doing something else that is not interesting enough to occupy me (mostly work kind of things rather than fun kind of things) i will constantly feel like i should go check if there is something new already.

Well see ya all in a few minutes, gotta go check my facebook now.....

I bet if PWE found a way to integrate the forum/facebook/hotmail/twitter/google+ into Arc, people might actually want to use it.
    Kitty also known as Tsukyini

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]