When?

DoodsWH - Sanctuary
DoodsWH - Sanctuary Posts: 222 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion
hey val when are you guys going to address the real issues presented in quality corner? Is one text change per week really all you guys can get done?
Post edited by DoodsWH - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Kiszmet - Heavens Tear
    Kiszmet - Heavens Tear Posts: 155 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    In B4 lock? b:avoid
  • Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    Mayfly - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,094 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    A lot of the more serious issues have to be handled by the devs in China, the most V4l can do is keep pressure on them to actually get them resolved. They also have a history of bundling fixes up in one big update, so we might get some of the fixes with the next expansion (the one with the new veno pet system.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Weekly Japanese/English bilingual webcomic
    thejapanesepage.com/ebooks/yuki_no_monogatari_manga
  • Mr_Swiss - Heavens Tear
    Mr_Swiss - Heavens Tear Posts: 879 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Usually there is a undocumented change list. I haven't personally seen one for about 3 updates, maybe cuz there hasn't been any, not sure, I won't speculate.
    R9s3 Beast w/Demon Facepalm
  • SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited May 2013
    I've posted this before, and I'll say it again, but with a little more detail this time. =)

Consider this...

The GM's don't make the changes.
    The PWE Dev's don't make the changes.
    The Dev's in China make the changes.

On top of that, PWE doesn't even apply the updates. That's all managed from China. Our local support team doesn't even know what's in the updates. In fact, they are told what to put in the patch notes, and that's pretty much the extent of their knowledge on it.

Why? Because Wanmei likes it this way.

So here's the process for what happens.
    1. We QQ, post items in that forum, or the Support Staff discovers an issue.
    2. Our support team relays the information to their upper management.
    3. PWE Management contacts their contact in China
    4. Management in China has meetings about it and makes a decision on what to do.
    5. Assuming that the choice is to make a change, Management team in China hands their interpretation of the change to the developers.
    6. Developers work on the change, and apply it to the test server.
    7. Tests appear to be working, update is applied to the Chinese servers.
    8. Update data gets sent to the localization team where it is translated for our version.
    9. Localization team finishes working on it, sends the data back to the developers.
    10. Developers then test the localized update on test servers.
    11. Update is then pushed to our servers with maintenance patches.

Now, given, that is a rather simplified approach, and I may be slightly off on a couple of steps. This is pretty close to accurate though. It's based off of my own personal experiences working with GM's in the past and even doing some of the testing myself on the beta servers.

It also partially explains why it takes them over 3 months to make a stupid 5 minute fix to the servers, like disabling PvP on Blue names in Secret Passage.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DoodsWH - Sanctuary
    edited May 2013
    I've posted this before, and I'll say it again, but with a little more detail this time. =)

Consider this...

The GM's don't make the changes.
    The PWE Dev's don't make the changes.
    The Dev's in China make the changes.

On top of that, PWE doesn't even apply the updates. That's all managed from China. Our local support team doesn't even know what's in the updates. In fact, they are told what to put in the patch notes, and that's pretty much the extent of their knowledge on it.

Why? Because Wanmei likes it this way.

So here's the process for what happens.
    1. We QQ, post items in that forum, or the Support Staff discovers an issue.
    2. Our support team relays the information to their upper management.
    3. PWE Management contacts their contact in China
    4. Management in China has meetings about it and makes a decision on what to do.
    5. Assuming that the choice is to make a change, Management team in China hands their interpretation of the change to the developers.
    6. Developers work on the change, and apply it to the test server.
    7. Tests appear to be working, update is applied to the Chinese servers.
    8. Update data gets sent to the localization team where it is translated for our version.
    9. Localization team finishes working on it, sends the data back to the developers.
    10. Developers then test the localized update on test servers.
    11. Update is then pushed to our servers with maintenance patches.

Now, given, that is a rather simplified approach, and I may be slightly off on a couple of steps. This is pretty close to accurate though. It's based off of my own personal experiences working with GM's in the past and even doing some of the testing myself on the beta servers.

It also partially explains why it takes them over 3 months to make a stupid 5 minute fix to the servers, like disabling PvP on Blue names in Secret Passage.

why would they apply any changes to the china server? our version is way different. and that s my point. they can make fast fixes for tw rewards but nothing else? even if it was close to how you say it works. there has to be some level of control on our side or why even have pwi devs if they dont apply patches or do anything?
  • Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    Mayfly - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,094 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    PWI devs mostly do localization. I don't think localizations have to be sent to China, but a lot of the time when we get new expansions parts of the localizations get messed up, so maybe they do (or maybe they changed some key strings which has to be re-linked to the correct localization, I dunno.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Weekly Japanese/English bilingual webcomic
    thejapanesepage.com/ebooks/yuki_no_monogatari_manga
  • SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited May 2013
    PWI devs mostly do localization. I don't think localizations have to be sent to China, but a lot of the time when we get new expansions parts of the localizations get messed up, so maybe they do (or maybe they changed some key strings which has to be re-linked to the correct localization, I dunno.)
    In the last discussion I had with frankieraye about this, he stated that our Dev's are unable to touch the files on the server at all. Any changes that need to be made are done via the Dev's in China.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sachelfunlol
    sachelfunlol Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    hmm I wonder which changes China allows pwe to make. I remember specifically a pwe gm posting about him changing an error on a tooltip or similar to a in game item and it getting updated on the next maint. It was not long ago maybe i can find the post. The GM is not active on the forums at all, he had less than 10 posts that i remember
    Lets troll the forums together b:victory
  • sachelfunlol
    sachelfunlol Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ah yes I found it, he changed the text in a quest in the cube. http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1589011
    Lets troll the forums together b:victory
  • Euthymius - Heavens Tear
    Euthymius - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,162 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Remember: OP may be a duck|OP/GMs/Devs may not deliver|Search function is your friend|Lurk more|Be wary of Mods: they can't be trusted|This place isn't a hugbox|Your tears sustain me|Know what Bait is|"Soon" may never come|Postcount, Dubs, and other GETs are important|Don't revive long dead threads|There is a section for everything|You can be banned for anything|No Fun Allowed outside of OT|Sweetiebot rules OT|"Circlejerks" are inevitable|Threads can be derailed and saved|Those who use"XD" should off themselves at their earliest convenience|
  • DoodsWH - Sanctuary
    edited May 2013
    Ah yes I found it, he changed the text in a quest in the cube. http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1589011

Sadly the answer is yes text only changes while we wait for our foreign overlords to maybe throw us a bone. *Double Sigh*

can close now thanks