Looking for people for my survey.

Options
Uraomote - Dreamweaver
Uraomote - Dreamweaver Posts: 48 Arc User
edited May 2013 in Off-Topic Discussion
Hi PWI-people. Just as the title suggests, I'm looking for people for my survey. I'm a student at the Institution of Social Work, SU, Sweden and I'm currently writing my bachelor thesis. The thesis is about Internet; How it shapes people's networks and how it can be used to get support from said network, both offline and online [And pwi is, if anything, an enormous online network]. I've made a survey to accompany the thesis and I'd be very glad if people'd answer it.

The survey is rather short, and contains "click and keep on scrolling" nature. You don't have to write down anything yourself. The survey will remain anonymous, and the answers will only be looked upon by myself and my teacher. If you don't want to answer any of the questions, you don't have to. However, I'd appreciate it if as many questions as possible got answered. It makes for a more complete image, which gives me a better material to work with.

If you know anyone who'd like to take the survey, please link it to them, or send them my way. If you need to reach me in any way, you can do so by PM's either here on the forums or in-game. I play on the Dreamweaver server and can be found on my psy, Uraomote. Or you can reach me through the emails included in the survey.

I thank you kindly for your time and patience.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1jJE2wx0Y78F83ro9PSU-5YVJ-yMsIYvDBFmMZ8W69MQ/viewform
I like bananabread
Post edited by Uraomote - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• krisnda
    krisnda Posts: 4,655 Community Moderator
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Nice survey, good luck with your research!

• Nariin - Dreamweaver
    Nariin - Dreamweaver Posts: 890 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Done.

Some things though...

"You identify yourself as male/female", and obligated to answer. What if you don't identefy yourslef as neighter?

You can choose 1-5 as a minimum number of contacts online/offline. What if you have 0 in one of the criteria?

"How do you keep in touch with online/offline contacts" What if you mainly use voice chat and video at the same time?

"How do you prefer to give support over the Internet?" An option is "video", so I assume it's meant video + text or video + voice chat.

"You're more likely to be open to people online rather than offline (both offline and online contacts)" I don't quite understand this. The note in brackets I mean.

Good luck!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
    Want a custom faction/fav icon? Look no further! Visit my 👿 Icon Repository in the Fanatics Forum.
    ~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
    ^ but please, for the love of god, read the first page before making requests (UPDATED)
  • HrunsPanda - Archosaur
    HrunsPanda - Archosaur Posts: 1,136 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Options
    How many online contacts do you have approximately?

Does that mean everything including all facebook friends and stuff ? Or are we talking about my PWI friend list. else case a list of choises up to 36 is very low :)

And when you ask how many people i keep contact with online, does that include my close friends and family everyone else ? In that case also the choises seem to be about a factor 10 too low to me in these times (not just for me, but everyone i know)
  • Uraomote - Dreamweaver
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Thank you Nariin for your points.

I was going to put Male/Female/Other[or transgender] but my teacher thought that it was best to keep it the way it was. That combined with the likehood of some type of troll coming along I decided to keep it as "Identify myself as". It is unfortunate that I might miss some peopl who're not sure what they identify themselves as (or if they have another label) however.

Google didn't give me the option to put 0, otherwise I would have.

It's also a very good point with the "video+text" etc. I should've clarified that a bit more, and given more options. As it is now, I'm unable to redo it since I'll lose all the response I've gathered so far. I will take it into account the next time I do a survey online... Which will happen.

HrunsPanda; It includes severyone you can think of at the top of your head. I did think 36 was too low a number as well, but several people pointed out that I could make the list a mile long and still not fit in everyone. Thus 36 ended up being the final number. I'm sorry about that part.

And the online factor includes both close friends and family. Again, I'm sorry for the choice in numbers. I will keep that in mind the next time I have a survey.

Thank you both for your pointers! I appriciate it.
    I like bananabread
  • HrunsPanda - Archosaur
    HrunsPanda - Archosaur Posts: 1,136 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Options
    I would have made a kind of logaritmical/exponential scale like 1-10,11-30,31-100,101-300,301-1000,1000+

I think the only person that i can think of that is not gonna answer 36+ to both questions is my grandmother.

Oh now i see the rest of it. What do you mean with my offline contacts and online contacts ? Thats kind of why i asked if you mean my family should be included. Do you mean with offline contacts those that i know in real life while online contacts are those that i only have online contact with and not irl ? or is offline just those that are at the moment offline and not available for chat so that i need to email them (although there is one question where i have the option to chat/skype with my offline contacts.....) I dont really get it.

Ill complete it after you explained :)
  • FieryBlade - Harshlands
    FieryBlade - Harshlands Posts: 618 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Options
    completed and good luck :D
    [SIGPIC]https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/502x102q90/690/fierybladesigna.png[/SIGPIC]

Sig made by me f:sneakyf:despise

I don't have a bad attitude, I just have a personality you don't like
  • Uraomote - Dreamweaver
    edited April 2013
    Options
    completed and good luck :D

Krisnda wrote: »
    Nice survey, good luck with your research!

Thank you!
    I like bananabread
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    Desdi - Sanctuary Posts: 8,680 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Did it, good luck with your thesis!
    [SIGPIC]http://i.imgur.com/MtwcqjL.png[/SIGPIC]
    ★ Venomancer videos - tinyurl.com/k6ppkw4 ★ Desdi - Demon ♪ Wyvelin - Sage ★
  • ovenusarmanio
    ovenusarmanio Posts: 6,695 Community Moderator
    edited April 2013
    Options
    What do you mean offline contacts. At first I thought you meant the people you talk to IRL but then there is no option for face to face contact. My online contacts are primarly contacted through gaming/chatting but IRL people I'm more like to talk to face to face. I don't even like texting really. Sometimes I chat with them on facebook though, or through email in the case of colleagues.

edit; Also don't know what this means?
    You get equally affected by your offline and online contacts

e.g, an offline person telling you about his/her new car vs an online person

kritty%20sig_zpsp0y7ttsb.png
    Thanks to MikoTenshi for the Avi and Kritty for the Signature.
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Uraomote - Dreamweaver
    edited April 2013
    Options
    What do you mean offline contacts. At first I thought you meant the people you talk to IRL but then there is no option for face to face contact. My online contacts are primarly contacted through gaming/chatting but IRL people I'm more like to talk to face to face. I don't even like texting really. Sometimes I chat with them on facebook though, or through email in the case of colleagues.

edit; Also don't know what this means?
    You get equally affected by your offline and online contacts

e.g, an offline person telling you about his/her new car vs an online person

I have a description at the top, Venus. It's a bit of a fussy one though, so I understand if there's some confusion. One of the more frustrating things with the survey has been finding a definition which fits, since everything can be twisted five times around.

Basically.

Offline contact: A person, when you think about it, you can meet with face-to-face.
    Online contact: A person, when you think about it, you talk with online, but can't meet face-to-face.

And yes, the example for the second question is correct. You get equally happy or sad for your contacts about that car, or about the cat that died, no matter if they're offline or online.
    I like bananabread
  • ovenusarmanio
    ovenusarmanio Posts: 6,695 Community Moderator
    edited April 2013
    Options
    I have a description at the top, Venus. It's a bit of a fussy one though, so I understand if there's some confusion. One of the more frustrating things with the survey has been finding a definition which fits, since everything can be twisted five times around.

Basically.

Offline contact: A person, when you think about it, you can meet with face-to-face.
    Online contact: A person, when you think about it, you talk with online, but can't meet face-to-face.

And yes, the example for the second question is correct. You get equally happy or sad for your contacts about that car, or about the cat that died, no matter if they're offline or online.

Yeah, I saw that but then there was nothing about face to face contact in the rest of the survey so I got confused. b:surrender And ah, you mean affected emotionally. K thanks I'll fill this out now then.

kritty%20sig_zpsp0y7ttsb.png
    Thanks to MikoTenshi for the Avi and Kritty for the Signature.
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Uraomote - Dreamweaver
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Yeah, I saw that but then there was nothing about face to face contact in the rest of the survey so I got confused. b:surrender And ah, you mean affected emotionally. K thanks I'll fill this out now then.

Sorry sorry >-<'

Thank you so much for taking your time, even though it's confusing.
    I like bananabread
  • Jacerai - Dreamweaver
    Jacerai - Dreamweaver Posts: 943 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Done and good luck Ura :D

Sounds like it's going to be a fun thesis to write, too!
    b:cute The world may be small, but it is far from known.

Why the rage? It's a draining emotion.

Me: DaValentine (veno), Jaceraie (mystic), etc etc etc b:chuckle
  • Uraomote - Dreamweaver
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Thank you Jacey<3
    I like bananabread
  • reading100001
    reading100001 Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Options