Build Opinions

_Saikyik_ - Archosaur
_Saikyik_ - Archosaur Posts: 27 Arc User
edited April 2013 in Seeker
Before I watched any seeker videos, I had my mind set on having a build where I put 5 points in str and 5 points into dex every 2 levels. Now after watching some seeker videos and saw their builds, I'm not sure this build is a good idea.

Initially, I thought since I am aiming to R9 this seeker which meant having GoF and to me that was like a chance game so I decided to make this seeker somewhat of a chance build hence the dex points. I thought that having this much dex surely would boost my damage with the crits but now I'm in a dilemma. I saw so many seekers achieve so many great things and none of their builds were similar to mine. They all had str builds (having enough dex to wield weapon and rest into str). So I'm not sure whether I should change it to a str build or not, seeing as I'm still able to change the build right now without using scrolls.

My question is:
Do I change to str build or should I stay my dex build? And why?

Many thanks in advance,
-_Saikyik_b:victory
Post edited by _Saikyik_ - Archosaur on

Comments

• bolocactu
    bolocactu Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Before I watched any seeker videos, I had my mind set on having a build where I put 5 points in str and 5 points into dex every 2 levels. Now after watching some seeker videos and saw their builds, I'm not sure this build is a good idea.

Initially, I thought since I am aiming to R9 this seeker which meant having GoF and to me that was like a chance game so I decided to make this seeker somewhat of a chance build hence the dex points. I thought that having this much dex surely would boost my damage with the crits but now I'm in a dilemma. I saw so many seekers achieve so many great things and none of their builds were similar to mine. They all had str builds (having enough dex to wield weapon and rest into str). So I'm not sure whether I should change it to a str build or not, seeing as I'm still able to change the build right now without using scrolls.

My question is:
    Do I change to str build or should I stay my dex build? And why?

Many thanks in advance,
    -_Saikyik_b:victory

2Dex 3Str
    I might be black
  • HrunsPanda - Archosaur
    HrunsPanda - Archosaur Posts: 1,136 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The crit chance provided by dex is simply to small to make it worthy. 160 dex = 8% crit. When you already have 50%, that is just short of 6% damage output.

150str on the other hand = 100% weapon damage. When you already have a damage multiplier of 4 for example, that adds 25% damage output.

Dex of course also has the side effect of adding accuracy. This makes it that in my oppinion, a bunch of dex for a barb is not so terrible. However, this only makes the first bit of dex really interesting. When you already have 200, this accuracy doesnt make it very interesting to add more dex. (If the first 200 dex reduces your chance to miss from 20% to 5%, that is way more important than the second 200 dex bringing it from 5% to 2% for example)
  • _Saikyik_ - Archosaur
    _Saikyik_ - Archosaur Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The crit chance provided by dex is simply to small to make it worthy. 160 dex = 8% crit. When you already have 50%, that is just short of 6% damage output.

150str on the other hand = 100% weapon damage. When you already have a damage multiplier of 4 for example, that adds 25% damage output.

Dex of course also has the side effect of adding accuracy. This makes it that in my oppinion, a bunch of dex for a barb is not so terrible. However, this only makes the first bit of dex really interesting. When you already have 200, this accuracy doesnt make it very interesting to add more dex. (If the first 200 dex reduces your chance to miss from 20% to 5%, that is way more important than the second 200 dex bringing it from 5% to 2% for example)

Thank you so much for explaining it like that b:pleased You have a really good way of explaining things. Thank you so much Mr. HrunsPanda b:laugh
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Ever since seeker first came out, ive been a full dex/crit based build (rank9 gear). The 41% crit i had was pretty nice. 4 out of 5 times your either zerking or critting. Currently im testing out a full STR build with emperor tome + R99 gear, and hopefully with R999 once i get all the chienkun stones. So far, I dont see a considerable difference with the STR build everyone is hyped up for with the mathematics. The dmg output is just slightly high, but you can feel the crit is mostly gone. If im lucky enough to hit a zerkcrit with this STR build, i can see a bigger difference. In the end, I feel as though im pretty much praying for a crit or zerk to make the STR worthwhile o.o
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • Suikyo - Raging Tide
    Suikyo - Raging Tide Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    dex build = dumbest idea ever for a seeker b:surrender even being demon is worthless
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    dex build = dumbest idea ever for a seeker b:surrender even being demon is worthless
    its only dumb if your just one of those new noob seekers blindly following the crowd.
    In reality there are many that have tried this build and are testing the opposite str too, especially the old seekers.
    The forum is not the only seeker population.

Ive been testing out the STR build for a while now and the significance honestly isnt that huge. This is with emperor tome and 500+ str. To call dex build to the extent of dumbest idea ever just tells me how naive your experience is, if you havnt noticed the diff. is small.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • burningsweetfire
    burningsweetfire Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I play a pure dex seeker, about 340 dex in fact.

Here what I experience:
    I get more crits and zerk crits (r9+5 sword, zerk crit ion does 17k-21k to random barbs I found in NW, so damage is still average)
    Love those evasion especially with archer buff in your party, makes my evasion to 5700, and yes it saves my life when bms, archers, and even sins misses on me.
    Accuracy with what I have is about 5400, so my attacks misses less on annoying sins and archers that dodges P. damage.

Bad News:
    You hit low if you don't crit, zerk, or zerk crit.
    Still squishy but still tanky enough to not get one shot (except for zerk crit sins, bms, and other seekers >.<)

My reason for pure dex built:
    I hate missing and I've played archers and sins, so I like to modify my play style to fit them. Compared to what I had before, pure str: Crit rate increased by about 8%, Accuracy and Evasion doubled, lost about 2-3k in base damage. I also like an unique built and I'm quite experimental.
  • Alsiadorra - Sanctuary
    Alsiadorra - Sanctuary Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Ever since seeker first came out, ive been a full dex/crit based build (rank9 gear). The 41% crit i had was pretty nice. 4 out of 5 times your either zerking or critting. Currently im testing out a full STR build with emperor tome + R99 gear, and hopefully with R999 once i get all the chienkun stones. So far, I dont see a considerable difference with the STR build everyone is hyped up for with the mathematics. The dmg output is just slightly high, but you can feel the crit is mostly gone. If im lucky enough to hit a zerkcrit with this STR build, i can see a bigger difference. In the end, I feel as though im pretty much praying for a crit or zerk to make the STR worthwhile o.o

I am lucky I found a balance(398 str((with gear)), and 26% crit((170 dex overall + crit bonuses)).)
  • soundslegit
    soundslegit Posts: 472 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I want to note for newer players that high dex is an endgame PVP build and no one should be thinking about it before endgame or to help in PVE.

I used to have 210 dex and moved it down to 160 and put that 50 points in strength. Didn't really notice a big difference either way. DPH was a little better but not a big deal. The loss of accuracy is a problem and in the future I am going back up to at least 180 dex.

The reason high dex is a pvp build is because in pvp you almost never use normal auto attacks, its all skills. A crit doubles the skill damage add ons and the % weapon damage. Strength only increases the base physical damage which for so many skills is the smallest element.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • HerbalLife - Archosaur
    HerbalLife - Archosaur Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Best to go Arcane Armor build. b:thanks