Interrupted skills consuming chi

Options
Fissile - Archosaur
Fissile - Archosaur Posts: 607 Arc User
edited April 2013 in Quality Corner
This has been around for a few months and I have posted about it before.

On my wizard, if someone uses an immunity, moves out of range, or dies while I am channeling a skill that consumes chi (Blade Tempest, Black Ice Dragon Strike, Mountain Seize) the skill consumes mana and chi and activates the cooldown for that skill, even though it isn't cast. This is not the case on all classes/skills.

The previous (expected) behavior was that the skill would finish channeling and then cancel without consuming chi or mana or activating the cooldown.

Edit highlighted in red.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by Fissile - Archosaur on

Comments

• Jarkhen - Archosaur
    Jarkhen - Archosaur Posts: 990 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Options

On my wizard, if someone uses an immunity or moves out of range while I am channeling a skill that consumes chi (Blade Tempest, Black Ice Dragon Strike, Mountain Seize) the skill consumes mana and chi and activates the cooldown for that skill, even though it isn't cast. This is not the case on all classes/skills.

The previous (expected) behavior was that the skill would finish channeling and then cancel without consuming chi or mana or activating the cooldown.

This issue has occurred for me for years. The thing is that it's inconsistent; sometimes it consumes chi / activates the cooldown, and sometimes it doesn't - I'm guessing this is why you hadn't noticed until now. I haven't been able to find anything in particular that affects the behavior.
    Current: http://mypers.pw/1.8/#133167
    105-103-102

TW/NW Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/Axel3200

Some people get R93 and become another cookiecutter DD, other people get R93 and get called out as serious threats. At some point, it's just not about gear anymore. - Qui
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Fissile - Archosaur
    edited April 2013
    Options
    It had never happened to me even once (on my wiz) until 1 or 2 updates before Sirens of War. Now it happens 100% of the time. But, like i said, the behavior is not the same for all classes or skills. For instance, in the same situation, casting Ion Spike on my seeker will cancel without consuming chi or activating cooldown.

In my opinion (though it never worked this way), the way it should work is if the target is in range it should cast regardless of their immunity state and then the immunity should protect them. For instance if someone uses ironguard while I cast BT at them, it should cast normally and the target not take damage, but other players in the area of effect should. If the player moves out of range, it should not cast and should not consume any mana or chi or use the cooldown.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Jarkhen - Archosaur
    edited April 2013
    Options
    I've had it both consume chi / activate cooldown and not consume chi / activate cooldown for the same skills - aim low, barrage, stun, etc. at different times, so it's not as simple as some skills having the issue all the time and others never having it.
    105-103-102

Some people get R93 and become another cookiecutter DD, other people get R93 and get called out as serious threats. At some point, it's just not about gear anymore. - Qui
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Fissile - Archosaur
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Regardless I think we can both agree it doesn't work "right"...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Jarkhen - Archosaur
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Regardless I think we can both agree it doesn't work "right"...

Well, yes, but specifics can be important if you're going to pinpoint a bug.
    105-103-102

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Fissile - Archosaur
    edited April 2013
    Options
    My experience is different from yours. If I can get FRAPS working again I will post a video (or a few since I have no editing software I can't stitch multiple tests into one video)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Nenor - Dreamweaver
    Nenor - Dreamweaver Posts: 534 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Options
    The same issue occurs when casting nova on veno. If my target happens to die mid cast , instead of the skill just completely stopping, it stops, burns the sparks/mana and goes into cool down. Its very annoying with the long cool down time.
  • Adroit - Lost City
    Adroit - Lost City Posts: 4,628 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Options
    This changed when they fixed canceling (abused by sins/bms).. I'm guessing they just changed the order of things a bit so it first uses sparks/starts cd then checks if it is in range etc.. which fixed the cancel channeling issue, but added this undesirable effect at the same time.
    Youtube Channel: youtube.com/user/D2VeT/videos?flow=grid&view=0
    Current gear: pwcalc.com/6ab2893fbfb080a8
    [SIGPIC]http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=684hgk&s=5[/SIGPIC]
  • Annalyse - Heavens Tear
    Annalyse - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,618 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Options
    It happens to me most on my wizard and is indeed very annoying. Normal skills, when interrupted, don't usually have to cooldown - they properly interrupt. But any of the two spark skills has a high tendency to use mana, chi and require a cooldown even though it has not actually fired.

It happens to me a lot also when I try to stun on BM and the target moves out of range. Skill is interrupted but goes into cooldown regardless.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Annalyse (veno) - Melosa (cleric) - Glynneth (archer) - Pickerel (sin)
    Florafang (wiz) - RubixCube (barb) - Laravell (psy) - Diviah (Mystic)
    Torchwood (BM) - Sataea (Seeker) - Wystera (Sin) - Allissere (SB)

Looking for a mature faction on HT? pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=760842
  • Oups_Dead - Harshlands
    Oups_Dead - Harshlands Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Options
    that s normal... just cancel a bit before u cast ;p also skills give u chi even if u try to hit someone in sz while u r outside so it can benefit u as well. could be a suggestion but definitely not a bug.
  • Zsw - Dreamweaver
    Zsw - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,087 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Options

On my wizard, if someone uses an immunity or moves out of range while I am channeling a skill that consumes chi (Blade Tempest, Black Ice Dragon Strike, Mountain Seize) the skill consumes mana and chi and activates the cooldown for that skill, even though it isn't cast. This is not the case on all classes/skills.

I have never encountered this problem with immunity before. Do you think you could get us a video?

I can confirm that it happens with people moving out of range though.
    Zsw -104 Sage Assassin
    TehZsw - 100 Demon Archer

All Luck No Skillz PvPer: youtube.com/user/zsw007
  • Fissile - Archosaur
    edited April 2013
    Options
    I think perhaps Splashtop and FRAPS don't want to play nice together. I'll try uninstalling Splashtop temporarily and see if FRAPS will capture again.
    The same issue occurs when casting nova on veno. If my target happens to die mid cast , instead of the skill just completely stopping, it stops, burns the sparks/mana and goes into cool down. Its very annoying with the long cool down time.

I forgot to mention it happens if they die. I added that to the lead post.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Fissile - Archosaur
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Couldn't get FRAPS to work but I installed hypercam and it looks like it works so I will try to record this and hopefully it won't crash.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Crixxix - Raging Tide
    Crixxix - Raging Tide Posts: 848 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Options
    I have noticed this too. Now we know this applies to barbs as well. b:cute
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Zaxies - Heavens Tear
    Zaxies - Heavens Tear Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Options
    -confirms this-

It happens especially easy with Berserker's wrath. Also @thread starter, your cd/sparks still get used when someone uses an immunity because if it didn't, what would the point be of using immunity in the first place if your enemy would get a second chance to cast the same skill as soon as your immunity wears off without even trying to cancel it?b:chuckle
  • Jarkhen - Archosaur
    edited April 2013
    Options
    -confirms this-

It happens especially easy with Berserker's wrath. Also @thread starter, your cd/sparks still get used when someone uses an immunity because if it didn't, what would the point be of using immunity in the first place if your enemy would get a second chance to cast the same skill as soon as your immunity wears off without even trying to cancel it?b:chuckle

Agreed. It should consume cd / spark for immunity, but certainly not if the target dies or goes out of range.
    105-103-102

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Fissile - Archosaur
    edited April 2013
    Options
    I agree with the caveat I mentioned before. The skill should cast anyway if an immunity is used. Many of the affected skills are AoE. The target using an immunity shouldn't give everyone else around a free pass.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Leni - Raging Tide
    Leni - Raging Tide Posts: 205 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Options
    +1

I even posted a thread regarding this issue 1 year ago...