Keyboard programming allowed?

Talayoki - Heavens Tear
Talayoki - Heavens Tear Posts: 42 Arc User
edited March 2013 in General Discussion
Hey! Just a quick question out of interest:
I know some ppl with these imba keyboards that can everything except cook :P. Not, that I have the money for such a thing but I asked myself if it would be allowed to programm them for example for grinding or leveling a pet or whatever (Like tab->hit->hotkey to grab drops->tab and so on). I mean it would be botting w/o a bot, or how would that work? How it botting defined and so on. Pls share your mind or knowledge with me ^^

PS: again: I WONT do it cuz I'm too broke for such an keyboard, just had a discussion that made me think about it :)

Ty all
Post edited by Talayoki - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Angel_Spawn - Sanctuary
    Angel_Spawn - Sanctuary Posts: 3,034 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Botting is considered to be an action which is performed while the user of the character(s) is not present at the keyboard, thus everything is happening automatically by pre - programmed actions.

The keyboard you are speaking of, you still need to press a button for actions to take place, so it should be legit.
  • Talayoki - Heavens Tear
    edited March 2013
    Are u sure? I wont tell names but a friend told me he leveled his pet in cube with such an keyboard and was kinda afk. I'm not sure if I got it right since I don't know how such a keyboard works but for me it sounded like: tell the keyboard a chain of buttons to use nonstop in this n that order, go afk and let it have fun

But ty for your quick answer :D
  • Angel_Spawn - Sanctuary
    Angel_Spawn - Sanctuary Posts: 3,034 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Then it works like an autoclicker for a mouse, if that person indeed is afk and still can do certain tasks which benefit him then it`s not legal, but I wouldn`t be too worried about it, we have real bots on maps and nothing is being done despite numerous tickets submitted, the company only cares about $$$ nothing else.
    edited March 2013
    That's what I also thought but ya, was interested in it since it's no "programm-bot" like normal.
    Tyvm for the answer and ya, it's a shame that bots, what kind ever, are simply ignored :(
  • Crimson_Moon - Momaganon
    Crimson_Moon - Momaganon Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Macro/bot programs are not allowed according to ToS (except in game macro system).
  • HrunsPanda - Archosaur
    HrunsPanda - Archosaur Posts: 1,136 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Of course there is no clear disctinction between macros and bots. If you say its a bot when you are afk but a macro if you need to click anything to activate, that would make it legal if idd made a farm bot where every 10 minutes you need to click a button to keep it going.

I am too lazy to find TOS, but i think normally they say that you cannot use anything that alters the user interface. In that case, any kind of external macro would be illegal.

If you want to know if you risk actions being taken against you, i doubt it since i constantly see people complain about real botters not being taken action against. Would be unlikely they'd take action against macro users. Although i can imagine it possible to be an unfair advantage in pvp, causing people to complain about it and getting you in trouble. :)
    edited March 2013
    Ty :)
    Ah it's not really the question if GMs will take action cuz I play long enough to know- they rarely will in this cases :) as I said: only a question that interests me...IF Gms WOULD take care of bots, WOULD this thing be legal(cuz it wont change the game itself)or not(cuz u have an advantage from it while being afk)..and also interested in what u guys thing ofc :D
  • ShaiFatali - Lost City
    ShaiFatali - Lost City Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Well, whether it's against the TOS or not, it would be nearly impossible to prove that somebody is using a keyboard macro because that just simulates a series of key strokes. I don't really see how a keyboard macro would be beneficial, though...you can make macro's in PWI for most things, and you can remap what keys do what, the only use case I can think of is making a keyboard macro that changes a set of gear (why oh why can we not add gear to macro's in game? QQ).
    A prima luce usque ad lucem

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

vive, pugnare aut mori.
    edited March 2013
    I don't really see how a keyboard macro would be beneficial, though...you can make macro's in PWI for most things, and you can remap what keys do what, the only use case I can think of is making a keyboard macro that changes a set of gear

As I said before, I got it like: u give the keyboard the comand (f.e) "use tab, then F1-F5 (for skills), F6 (to grab drops), then start again with tab to next mob and so on. U can be afk for hours and your keyboard will grind for you. That's what I mean by advantage :)