DoT, JoSD, Cits, Garn

Options
Malidega - Archosaur
Malidega - Archosaur Posts: 22 Arc User
edited March 2013 in Psychic
I now have 5/6 g15 pieces (missing chest) and g16 lunar sphere (needs reroll). Within 3 months or less I hope to be full g16. The problem; how to shard? I doubt I will be any higher than +10 refine on anything anytime soon let alone +12, + 7 is more likely.

You can be
A glass cannon(full DoT somewhat cheap 14-18m each)
A tank (full JoSD expensive at 95m each)
Full Citrines for HP
Full Garnets for phys. Def.
or mix and match

When answering, please keep in mind cost. I would love to go full JoSD but it's just not practical. If you choose HP or phys. Def. what is the cheapest way to get them?

Second question
If you have JoSD, then how does it compare to having phys. Def shards? Survivability is always nice.
Post edited by Malidega - Archosaur on

Comments

• WnbTank - Archosaur
    WnbTank - Archosaur Posts: 1,472 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Options
    I did math to a friend bout half a year ago I believe. I could prolly still find the math actually. And fudge me, its his partial DoT point when he started to consider the appeal of replacing some of his DoTs.

I have seen every single psy that went DoTs go and change to JoSD if they can afford it so Im going to simply ignore them. As for JoSD, its just silly to shard anything but R999 currently with them, though there is exception of N3 +12 set which you use for multiple toons. This is because Full JoSD sharding literally costs more than full R999 set, least on archo. And anyways, JoSD really werent that efficient till +10 refines.

Everything depends on refines heavily but for R9 6 JoSD gave bout same increase in effective physical health as 6 garnet gems on +10 refines, including orns. You go lower and garnets will turn out even better. So Im going to suggest half citrine gems, half garnets. I doubt its the absolute optimal for +7 or +10 but its imo a good balance for physical defense accounting magical damage. And only way to go lower with sharding price is going full citrines, unless you guys got different balance on shard costs.

This really assumes you want to diminish the physical damage you are taking as full N3 itself is OP for PvE and I would imagine AAs have hardest time with physical damage, discounting super endgame wizzies.
    Trolling Sid since So Hot :o
  • TheDendra - Harshlands
    TheDendra - Harshlands Posts: 222 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Options
    It depends on your gear, DoT psy is hands down most efficient way to go with endgame gear (r9r or r9rr and no, you won't be a glass cannon), but seriously for g16 nirvana?

You could go DoT and be a somewhat glass cannon, so it's an option.

JoSD are a complete waste to put in g16 because you simply aren't going to be a tank vs r9r++ geared players.

Full garnets - many people like to be oblivious to the fact psy is the only caster class with low phys. def and for a good reason, so don't try to play psy like a wizzie, play psy like a psy. Point being sure, garnets aren't entirely a bad choice but they won't help you vs casters and they aren't going to be the key to your survival vs physical classes either.

Full citrines - more efficient choice than garnets since it works against all attacks but it somewhat limits your potential, aka you won't hit as hard as DoT psy and you'll be somewhat lacking in defense.

If you want to play it neutral and cheap - you could go citrines with garnets in two armor pieces for a lil bit extra phys.def, or DoTs to boost your damage a bit because name of the game is to kill before you get killed, you aren't really going to play a tanking game vs archers and such.

One final note - keep in mind that even though it looks strange, vitality gems are actually better than g11 citrines/garnets. They give you close to same hp along with phys/mag defense. So it would actually take g12 gar/cit to make a viable comparison between the three. However, due to being pricey I wouldn't suggest going full vitality shards, but rather use them to shard one or two pieces of armor to tweak your psy if it suits your play style.
  • HrunsPanda - Archosaur
    HrunsPanda - Archosaur Posts: 1,136 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Options
    +10 vs +7 gives about 450 extra HPs and costs 75gold. This is more efficient than any of the shards i think. So i would first of all get to +10 before gettig any charts at all. (well, flawless citrines till then...)

+12 gives another 550 HPs per item. I dont know prices of vit stones or +12 refinements, dunno what is the better investment here.
  • Zymari - Archosaur
    Zymari - Archosaur Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Options
    On archosaur I see vit stones in catshops for around 25-30m each. I contemplated them as well. I see the +10 orbs for about the same price. I like the idea of bumping up my phys/mag def and hp all at the same time.. it seems more cost effective unless you can get the high lvl shards cheaply.

From the sounds of it.. a mix of maybe Attk lvl on 1-2 pieces and then cit/garn mix or vit on the rest?
  • Pwnallagain - Heavens Tear
    Pwnallagain - Heavens Tear Posts: 206 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Ugh if only HT prices were like that. 30-34 mil for a DoT and 50-60 mil for vit stones D: you guys have it lucky x.x
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Zymari - Archosaur
    edited March 2013
    Options
    You say that but raps are 40-50k and cannies are 8-11k. There is no money to be made b/c seller have no back bone. Someone will always be the cheaper ***** b/c they can't do math.
    When NW started, I could make 14m from a seal of war. Now the are barely stalling for over 3m. Cost almost half that to make which means that you make twice as much selling cannies for the most profit but does anyone actually do the math and make the base price for anything be cannies (the cheapest thing to make with yeilds the most profit ATM) nope, of course not. The would mean than the selling population had a brain for business. This is why the U.S. economy is ****!

All this stuff is sold so cheaply yet a pangs creator sells for 233m and a love up and down sells for 140m. Just plan stupid
  • HrunsPanda - Archosaur
    HrunsPanda - Archosaur Posts: 1,136 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Options
    I wish the market as a whole would be worse in math. Wherever they miscalculate, there is money to be made.
  • T_i_m - Dreamweaver
    T_i_m - Dreamweaver Posts: 200 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Options
    I think Asterelle's defense calculator is less effective for certain classes, particularly sins and psy's due to our long-lasting passive defense buffs and active phys immune buffs. Take it with a salt shaker.
  • Adroit - Lost City
    Adroit - Lost City Posts: 4,628 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Options
    I think Asterelle's defense calculator is less effective for certain classes, particularly sins and psy's due to our long-lasting passive defense buffs and active phys immune buffs. Take it with a salt shaker.

How so? It just compares how different shard choice defend against magic/phys hits for your gear.. so if you were a psychic for example and decided you wanted to defend against physical hits while you were self buffed because you thought magic was not a threat and you never die when buffed, it would show you the best shard choice to accomplish that goal. You don't have to pick the highest average (although I usually do), and the buffs have nothing to do with how shard choice defends against certain kinds of damage.
    Youtube Channel: youtube.com/user/D2VeT/videos?flow=grid&view=0
    Current gear: pwcalc.com/6ab2893fbfb080a8
    [SIGPIC]http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=684hgk&s=5[/SIGPIC]
  • Euthymius - Heavens Tear
    Euthymius - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,162 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Options
    I'm actually quite curious about the DoT path, as I was considering it as an endgame plan to follow. Surely we could camp in White Voodoo with it and a R9.3 weapon giving us positive attack levels, but would it really be worth it?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Remember: OP may be a duck|OP/GMs/Devs may not deliver|Search function is your friend|Lurk more|Be wary of Mods: they can't be trusted|This place isn't a hugbox|Your tears sustain me|Know what Bait is|"Soon" may never come|Postcount, Dubs, and other GETs are important|Don't revive long dead threads|There is a section for everything|You can be banned for anything|No Fun Allowed outside of OT|Sweetiebot rules OT|"Circlejerks" are inevitable|Threads can be derailed and saved|Those who use"XD" should off themselves at their earliest convenience|
  • Subtraction - Harshlands
    Subtraction - Harshlands Posts: 690 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Options
    I'm actually quite curious about the DoT path, as I was considering it as an endgame plan to follow. Surely we could camp in White Voodoo with it and a R9.3 weapon giving us positive attack levels, but would it really be worth it?

no it would not.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Ewa Sonnet has the best pair of jugs ever. Nothing else compares." - Eoria.
    HE'S OVERALL KNOWLEDGE OF THE CLASS IS LEGIT.
  • Euzebe - Sanctuary
    Euzebe - Sanctuary Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Options

it'll give you decent attack and great defence, but I think you'll still need to venture into black to kill the tanky targets. It's a viable play style imo, and will allow u to camp white and still play relatively effectively, with the option to turn on the glass cannon at will. It's probably a more dynamic build compared to jades.

Personally I'm undecided between DoT and Cit/Garn mix; I usually decide on Cit/Garn then change my mind each time i face a particular DoT r999 Psy in NW.
  • _JlN_ - Heavens Tear
    _JlN_ - Heavens Tear Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Options
    In your case, I would shard with exclusive garnets or citrines.
    Refine above the intended +7 to +10 before considering better shard alternatives.

I, personally, would also consider going rank 9 and working towards r9s3 before considering sharding alternatives.
  • Zymari - Archosaur
    edited March 2013
    Options
    While I would love to go r9... The closest thing that I'ill be seeing to it for a while is g16. If I did get enough rep points, I would get the weapon first. I just cannot afford to drop $800 or more in real money to play this game. It's crazy to me that I've even spent what I have to play a FREE GAME!!!
  • TheDendra - Harshlands
    edited March 2013
    Options
    People who advocate going DoT build to sit in White Voodoo with positive attack levels don't understand why go DoTs in the first place. The reason why you go DoT build is so that in B.Voodoo you maximize your attack to take out JoSD targets and when you need to defend, W.Voodoo will give you more than enough defense levels to survive in mass rpk.

The only benefit to JoSD build is that you can play brainless style in B.V. and make a lot of mistakes and at the same time have a bit easier time tanking in some situations in W.V. So if you are lazy to actually play the class or too bad to do it, go JoSD.
  • T_i_m - Dreamweaver
    edited March 2013
    Options
    How so? It just compares how different shard choice defend against magic/phys hits for your gear.. so if you were a psychic for example and decided you wanted to defend against physical hits while you were self buffed because you thought magic was not a threat and you never die when buffed, it would show you the best shard choice to accomplish that goal. You don't have to pick the highest average (although I usually do), and the buffs have nothing to do with how shard choice defends against certain kinds of damage.

It makes an assumption that your opponent is continuously attacking you. For a Psychic, either they're going to have to use their genie or apo to continuously hit you (or get sealed, breaking their attacks) and for a sin they might not do anything at all (focused mind). These passive buffs are not available to any other class, unless you have a psychic buff slave (some do). Due to the natural break in damage, your defenses are effectively higher to begin with, which reduces the effectiveness of sharding defense or hp of any kind compared to other classes.

I agree with TheDendra on DoT's.
  • xylonis
    xylonis Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Ok, this is my experience.... I was a full DoT Psy for the longest time. This only worked for me because I have very good Pdef ornaments. I played in Black voodoo 99.9% of the time. I did have I think 52 or 58 attack lvls in white voodoo ( I can't remember ) , but in pvp... you can't really kill an equally geared person with it. Anyways! Keep in mind that getting debuffed full DoT will make you very squishy. I have however changed my shards to half DoT and half JOSD. I really like this balance. The extra Def levels do help alot when being attacked by multiple people and the extra Attk levels give you more of a sting. I like the balance!
  • Adroit - Lost City
    Adroit - Lost City Posts: 4,628 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Options
    It makes an assumption that your opponent is continuously attacking you. For a Psychic, either they're going to have to use their genie or apo to continuously hit you (or get sealed, breaking their attacks) and for a sin they might not do anything at all (focused mind). These passive buffs are not available to any other class, unless you have a psychic buff slave (some do). Due to the natural break in damage, your defenses are effectively higher to begin with, which reduces the effectiveness of sharding defense or hp of any kind compared to other classes.

I agree with TheDendra on DoT's.

It doesn't make that assumption at all. Whether you are taking continuous damage or spike damage, your "effective hp" is the same. The calculator simply gives you an idea how the different sharding options compare.. if you see your effective hp with josd is twice the effective hp with dots.. that would mean your survivability would double with josd (numbers just made up, probably wouldn't be this much).
    Youtube Channel: youtube.com/user/D2VeT/videos?flow=grid&view=0
    Current gear: pwcalc.com/6ab2893fbfb080a8
    [SIGPIC]http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=684hgk&s=5[/SIGPIC]
  • TheDendra - Harshlands
    edited March 2013
    Options
    xylonis wrote: »
    Ok, this is my experience.... I was a full DoT Psy for the longest time. This only worked for me because I have very good Pdef ornaments. I played in Black voodoo 99.9% of the time. I did have I think 52 or 58 attack lvls in white voodoo ( I can't remember ) , but in pvp... you can't really kill an equally geared person with it.

I suggest you read post above, maybe then you'll realize why you never succeeded with a DoT build :)

Same for being squishy, if you get purged, debuffed and controlled, you will die. There are only a few situations in which JoSD build will have a noticeable difference in survivability in comparison to DoT build. In most situations you will be able to tank multiple opponents and kite away until they give up on chasing you - And with the addition of r9rr weapons, chances of you dying are even slimmer because it helps you avoid getting controlled even if you make a mistake.

If you can't time your skills and switch voodoos when needed, position yourself, etc., by all means sit in white voodoo+full josd and keep your fingers crossed you'll tank everybody and look pro. If you actually want to maximize class' efficiency and use it to its fullest potential, go DoT and cut through JoSD targets like butter while maintanining one of the highest survivabilities in the game - in mass rpk r9r++ psy is the last person on anybody's list to attack, you just don't ** with psys when you can kill in 2-3 shots easier yet similarly painful for you targets around you.
  • T_i_m - Dreamweaver
    edited March 2013
    Options
    if you see your effective hp with josd is twice the effective hp with dots.. that would mean your survivability would double with josd (numbers just made up, probably wouldn't be this much).

Shards and hp aren't the only thing affecting your survivability in the cases I mentioned. To give an extreme example, what if SoS proc'd on every hit, or psy will were a 5 minute buff instead of 8-10 sec? Would defense shards still double your survivability?