Psychic/ Mystic?

Options
atiris1
atiris1 Posts: 13 Arc User
edited March 2013 in Seeker
Hello everyone, I am returning to Perfect World after a couple years. I am not familiar with the new expansion and the changes to each class. I am returning this time, to play with my girlfriend who is pretty sure she is starting with a Mystic. I'm trying to decide which class I want to play with her while still being able to enjoy playing the class. These are the choices I am considering:

- Archer
- Seeker
- Psychic
- Mystic

Archer: My playstyle works best with this type of class. I use to play a Hunter in WoW and I play an archer in just about every RPG game I play. I excel at playing at a range while also playing the role as a damage class. I fear, however, that a full DD class teamed with Mystic would fail due to lack of having an actual tank

Seeker: I heard that Seekers got a lot of buffs in the new expansion, which is the only reason I'm considering playing one. Typically, a melee class doesn't appeal to me. But being a sub-tank / DD class may work better with a Mystic, especially if her player is new to the game. Plus they start out at the same starting zone.

Psychic: Psychics are fast-casting, hard-hitting mages that can also support heal. I'd spend my time killing mobs and then also support the mystic with off-heals if need be. Again, I question the survivability of our team without a tank and I think the Psychic will be less able to survive than the Archer.

Mystic: I played a Mystic my first time around and got it to level 50 (not that high, but I still feel like I had a decent understanding). By playing a Mystic, I think I can physically show her the mechanics and then build my Mystic to be more supportive/ healing based while directing her to focus on dealing damage. The downside is that I think it will be hard to find a squad with two mystics as oppose to the other classes I named.

So those are my thoughts on the subject and I was hoping that the PWI forum can shed some light/ experience on the subject to help me make a decision. Thank you!
Post edited by atiris1 on

Comments

• atiris1
    edited February 2013
    Options
    I meant Seeker / Mystic.... Not psychic
  • andreemartinss
    andreemartinss Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Options
    hi !

well seekers now are fine , they can tank a bit and deal nice dmg however when you say that archer is like hunter in wow is not really true cuz hunter in wow have a pet to support him/tank for him , like veno or mystics here.

Psy are nice but i think you need to spend some money to refine his gears (in high lvl) because you need to upgrade ur soulforce.

this is all i can say , im not a expert so those classes so idk :s sorry and gl ! :D
  • atiris1
    edited February 2013
    Options
    I agree. The simple mechanics of Archers and Hunters is different. I used the hunter as a reference, mainly to point out similiarity in playstyles such as kiting and fighting at a range. But your opinion is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
  • beforesun
    beforesun Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Options
    OK, first of: What do you mean by "playing together" or "support each other"? If you think in categories like doing Quests together than it really doesn't matter, since all quests can be done solo as well. The only exception are boss fights and instances...
    Boss fights you can easily forget about. You either ask a highlvl from your frac to help you out or simply skip it. For Instances its a bit different thing: You will need them and you will need help. For most lowlvl instances it is nice to have a Tank but for most instances the thank doesn't have to be a Barb. Some can be even better tanked by casters. Archer make pretty tanks as well for other instances, depending on gear of cause.
    What I try to say is the following: Don't make a choice because you wana play together with someone. You can do that with any of theses classes.

For the class decision:
    Archer: honestly I don't know much of it from my own playing experience, just from fighting them in PvP(long ago) and seeing how they play: They can tank do a certain degree, they have a high DMG, but weaker defs, they can go APS(good for melee combat), they have nice control skills so normal mobs hardly reach them if played good. Downside: Lack of healing, no useful buffs for others, there exist higher hitting DDs

Psychic: In Endgame they tend to be OP in the beginning they are easy to handle. They hit hard enough to get the mobs down before they can reach you. Down side: To really use the class as AoE you need REALLY good gear. In the beginning you will hardly manage more than 2 melee mobs or 3-4 mage mobs, even with the skills to kill them.. Simply because of the weak defs. Healing: maxed out you have 1 heal spell which is at sage a purify too and really handy, BUT its only once every 30 sec, so to build a healing on that you can forget it. If for healing better choose a wiz, which has a stronger target heal which has almost no cool down and in combination with sutra(a skill) can be casted up to 3 times in 6 sec, which should fill up almost every Barb and is even faster than cleric or mystic for that amount of HP.

Now talking about the classes I know better:
    Seeker: A melee class, since the last expansion you can also use it descend on range but its not as easy as lets say a Archer, wiz or psych. You have a lot AoEs and the def to handle the mobs. The dmg you do is weaker than the dmg of a psych, but therefor you can tank(in terms of surviving) and hit faster. You said, you wana tank with a seeker: Yes you can tank, BUT you can only do it if your gear is better than the other DDs gear and you usually need to use Vortex(a skill), which consumes a lot of MP. In other words: yes you survive it, but it is hard to keep the agro against real DDs. On the other hand: If your friend plays a Myst that problem is solved, because the hardest hitting attack of a Myst generates 0 agro. That way a myst can control its agro better and decide if he "wants" to steal agro from you or not. Buffs: Forget it. Seeker have only 2 Buffs for other of which they can choose 1. If you want to buff others become a cleric for the old classes or a myst.
    One last thing: If you start a seeker be prepared to hate the beginning: Seekers start to shine in the 80s but till there that class really sucks since you will get a lot dmg from mage mobs which are quite common in seekers beginning quests and have not enough dmg to kill them till they hit you.

Myst: Usually said a trade of of all caster classes. For the play style sth. between healer and DD. If you want to be tken into squats usually you are only asked for the DD part. With the morei skills learned you have 3 AoE buffs and one non-AoE, not counting summon 3. Your summons are mainly DD character. That means, you can hardly tank with them, compared to a veno for example. But they do a lot of dmg. Healing: A myst has good healing skills, BUT no reliable purify for the first down site and no dmg reduce for the other. Later on, that means from lvl 80 on these two skills are often essential for instances and that's why clerics usually are preferred over mystics. All in all you can solo the normal quests really good - 2 Hits = mob dead.

Conclusion: Mystic and seeker play well together. For Quests it doesn't matter which class you pick. For instances all classes have a slight advantage over mystics, because mystics aren't that much wanted.
  • Zheii - Archosaur
    Zheii - Archosaur Posts: 2,732 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Wooow, okay not reading that post above me, waaayyyy to much effort @_@
    So out of all those classes the most compatible WOULD be seeker/mystic, yes.
    BUT, if that's not how you like to play then don't force yourself, If your mystic concentrates on healing you if you have to tank something on either Archer/Psy then you should be okay, my personal opinion is Psy > Archer, but that's just me, I like the flexibility of being able to switch from black voodoo to white voodoo when the need arises, and honestly, if you have to "protect" your girl for whatever reason that extra flexibility will come in handy quite a bit.
    Anyways, hope this helps a little, Have fun In game annnddd...
    Remember to buy Marriage packs b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Queen of Silly, circa 2014, as conferred by the late great Proski Wallace.
  • Vyrrg - Harshlands
    Vyrrg - Harshlands Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Options
    I hope you find your answer! Seekers are so much fun, definitely a great class to be, and if you're looking for a good role in a squad, we are basically everything but a healer. We have amazing debuffs (COMBOS too), we can tank pretty darn well, we deel okish damage and a plus (for you becuase you like range) we can hit from almost 30 Meters away!