What's the best wolf pet?

Options
Raujada - Archosaur
Raujada - Archosaur Posts: 65 Arc User
edited March 2013 in Venomancer
I know they're not the best pets ever, but I really like wolves and I wonder what could be the best of them b:laugh the best looking is the mastiff of great divide for me, it's the only one who looks realistic.

What do you think about?
Post edited by Raujada - Archosaur on

Comments

• DeadRaven - Sanctuary
    DeadRaven - Sanctuary Posts: 407 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Options
    I know they're not the best pets ever, but I really like wolves and I wonder what could be the best of them b:laugh the best looking is the mastiff of great divide for me, it's the only one who looks realistic.

What do you think about?

Well, mostly I think about *censored*

But back to the topic of wolves, I actually don't remember what they all look like anymore, except for the wolf that I tamed as my first pet.....and still have in the bank :D

The most popular wolf-like pet of all time would have to be the Kowlin though, despite the heated debate around its merits. Just one of the posts about it: http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=905872

I never used one though so I could not say what skills would be best for it. I am sure there is a post somewhere that covers that issue as well.

Glad you found a pet to love :D
  • Veneir - Dreamweaver
    Veneir - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,541 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Neolithic Wolves are normally a pretty favoured wolf pet, methinks, annnd they'reeee somewhere on the pet stat tree that makes them apparentily also stat-favoured in the case of wolves but I have no idea what it actually is, because I never used wolves 'xD

But in the case of realistic colour wolf models, yeah the mastiff is probably the closest you'll get :x

Edit:: Here's these pages, too, which might be some help with their growth charts/what wolves are in each:
    Grey Wolf Pet Group
    Maned Wolf Pet Group
    Spined Wolf Pet Group
    And the list with most/some of all the different pet groups.
    "Clearly, the only logical option is Squid." -Decus <コ:彡 <コ:彡
    I'm helplessly needless, and needless to say I owe you | Well I'd pull, teeter away, at the earth with my teeth, to touch your face alive | You lie, helplessly still | As your face falls apart | Well I can make your face brand new | Come take my hand and I'll take your hand | And I will pull you out | Into the sun.
    First fell into an army of noob mobs on 19/3/2009~ Upside-down fox and old-colour squid <┻┻~ [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MANray_ - Sanctuary
    MANray_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,311 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Wolves are actually some pretty awesome pets. Unfortunately, much like with many other different pet types, they've fallen victim to the wrecked imbalance of Golems (Maggies, the Walker) OP Hercs and biased players. Their biggest problem is that they were mostly designed to be balanced pets, with few strenghts but nearly no weak points, which at the current state of the game makes them inferior to the cookiecutters and with no specific niche to fill. Still, I remember some very awesome venos leveling them far into the game and they can certainly fit in nicely as attack or multirole PvE pets for non minmaxers. As a comparison a Darkbreed Wolfkin gets near the same damage as a Kowlin but is much more ressilient. Other outstanding wolves are the starter sharptooths (there's a color morph for this one, but I can't recall its name) which benefit enormously from their low tame level, and and the Guardian Wolf, at some point considered "the poor man's Shaodu Cub" and a very attractive model in it's own right. Adding to Veneir's post, they're divided in four families.

Type I - Grey Wolves, very balanced in terms of stats although they tend to be a bit more deffensive than the others, and very much the "standard Wolf" in terms of looks (although why, and how, wolves would comb quasi-pompadours in their heads remains something only the original devs could answer) they come in two different size variations. Apart from the Sharptooth, the Rider Wolf deserves a mention as infamous, as taming one of these under the impression they could be used as mounts was once a very common mistake for rookie venos.

Type II - Spined Wolves, generally better offensive stats than type I, although overall balanced as well. Given it's pedigree as an elite mob the Darkbreed used to be the most commonly caught, although its stats really are no different than those of other same level wolves. Much like type I there's also an infamous member to this family, the Frozen Wolfkin is a great looking model as a mob but once caught it makes for a very ugly, cross eyed pet. They are distinguished for the 4 spiny protuberances on their backs (they do get to keep the pompadour) and also come in two size variatons.

Type III - Maned Wolves, their main advantage over other wolf types was better/higher level skill sets as they generally added an elemental Bash to the usual Ream/Howl wolf combo, well balanced stats much like the others. I think the Snakevalley Bloodwolf was the more popular, although there were a couple Venos who prided themselves on taming the blue ones as distinctly unique pets. Appearance trades the pompadour for a unicorn type hairdo, keeps the type II spines and adds manes.

Type IV - Neolithic Wolves, an exception to the rule about balanced stats, these make for some very good tanking pets. Damage is little better than a Shaodu cub's, but the phys res is good enough the "magic tank" label is somewhat unfair, they can certainly handle all PvE jobs available to pets other than Herc. Their appearance is also very unique, a cyber type sleek kind of thing, and the model is very nicely textured and detailed, although really this is mostly a love it or hate it type of deal. There's 3 morphs if I remember right with the Lunar trading the Guardian's blue stripes for pink. One thing to note is type IV are very fast and make for great luring pets.

Finally, although not Wolves, the Tabby, Pup and Kowlin do have wolf-like balanced stats, with the Tabby being the more ressilient, the kowling the better damage and the Pup coming somewhere in between. These rares are also all fast, the Kowlin is the fastest land pet available, and the Tabby and the Pup are some of the smallest pet models available. Generally this is also an advantage to most wolves (if we discount the larger morphs) although the largest and rarest pet theorically available in PW is actually also a wolf of sorts, probably in a family of its own, the Mother of the Den.

As for the Mastiff, they are actually not bad pets at all and do have wolf like stats as well but, leaving aside the fact this is technically a type of dog, and I do see how the model is made in a less cartoonish style, seriously two heads make for something closer to an irl wolf?
  • Veneir - Dreamweaver
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Manray, I adore your posts so much x3 Just wanted to say.
    I wonder(ed) why I couldn't find Neolithic Schema in the wiki page as type four, 'as looking for it, too...

Edit:: Oh, would you mind if I asked Sweetie to analyze you, Manray o.o? I think it'd be kind of neat to see.
    I'm helplessly needless, and needless to say I owe you | Well I'd pull, teeter away, at the earth with my teeth, to touch your face alive | You lie, helplessly still | As your face falls apart | Well I can make your face brand new | Come take my hand and I'll take your hand | And I will pull you out | Into the sun.
    First fell into an army of noob mobs on 19/3/2009~ Upside-down fox and old-colour squid <┻┻~ [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MANray_ - Sanctuary
    MANray_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,311 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Options
    b:cute Thank you very much, means a lot coming from posters like you.

As for the scheme I was wondering about that myself going through the wiki links, I think the numbered type system was something we inherited from the Malaysian crowd, and I do distinctly remember seeing it used in some of the pet stat sites we would browse back in the old days, especially those in French. Although really there's no in game reason to use it, so I guess it's something more of a habit. The wiki using a descriptive system is actually not bad.

Edit; I'm not sure what type of analysis you're talking about, but yes, by all means. Given, ahem, some minor slips in my posting history it's not like I've really got that much of a rep to lose anyway...
  • Raziyal - Archosaur
    Raziyal - Archosaur Posts: 216 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Well, mostly I think about *censored*

But back to the topic of wolves, I actually don't remember what they all look like anymore, except for the wolf that I tamed as my first pet.....and still have in the bank :D

The most popular wolf-like pet of all time would have to be the Kowlin though, despite the heated debate around its merits. Just one of the posts about it: http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=905872

I never used one though so I could not say what skills would be best for it. I am sure there is a post somewhere that covers that issue as well.

Glad you found a pet to love :D

The Kowlin is a Panther...... Cat Like creature not a wolf -.- LOL
    101 Veno (Sage) (Archo Server)
    102 Archer (Sage)
    104 Barb (Sage)
    101 Psy (Demon)
    104 Veno (Sage (sanc server)
  • Veneir - Dreamweaver
    edited February 2013
    Options
    b:cute Thank you very much, means a lot coming from posters like you.

As for the scheme I was wondering about that myself going through the wiki links, I think the numbered type system was something we inherited from the Malaysian crowd, and I do distinctly remember seeing it used in some of the pet stat sites we would browse back in the old days, especially those in French. Although really there's no in game reason to use it, so I guess it's something more of a habit. The wiki using a descriptive system is actually not bad.

Edit; I'm not sure what type of analysis you're talking about, but yes, by all means. Given, ahem, some minor slips in my posting history it's not like I've really got that much of a rep to lose anyway...

This analysis, Manny :3! http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=18757891&postcount=1225
    Aww what do you mean posters like me, I just run around chatting with Kossy and stuff x3 Ahaha, thankies much~ <3
  • Kiszmet - Heavens Tear
    Kiszmet - Heavens Tear Posts: 155 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Ive used a grottoden wolfmaster as my main pet since level twenty five or so (I believe it fits into the spined wolf category) and it makes for an awsome pet. Very balanced stats, a decent att rate, and 3k hp at lev 100. It won't last as long as a herc or do the dps of a dino or nix but I love the little guy and most people I run with do too.

As for pet stats, from my own experience, wolf stats fall into around the same areas regardless of which wolf you capture. Stats will have slight discrepencies, such as with neolithic wolves but almost all will have that "wolf" build. Also,keep in mind that pets are getting totally revamped soon so I wouldn't base your decision on stats alone. Almost all pets are getting new forms, wolves included, (the new form looks similar to high level frost wolves but with tecnhicolor highlights to match the new veno forms) though I don't know how to get them yet.

If you like wolves enough to use one for your main, you can take the effectiveness of wolf pets a step further by giving them legendary skills, (making them more awsome) though most venos won't reccomend this. (I use claw and pounce on mine, makes him an excellent come from behind distraction/support in pvp as most players tend to ignore him, he's just a common wolf after all :P)

One last thing and I don't know if they changed it or not, but, the earlier you capture your pet the better the stats are in end game, this makes the wolf pup you get in the beggining stronger then a lot of the end game wolves you can capture at lev 90+. I suppose this is a bonus reward for training your pet from a lower level so its something to keep in mind when deciding which wofl you want to capture.
  • Colum - Raging Tide
    Colum - Raging Tide Posts: 1,696 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Manray, make a pet guide like that. Would be a perfection.
    Leader of Cyanure on Valonsurma and a proud member of Vertu
    Demon Strength Barbarian 103/103/101

Demon Pure Mag Cleric 102/102/101 | Demon 4 APS Assassin 102/102/101 | Demon Pure Mag Mystic 102/101/101 | Demon Pure Mag Psychic 100/100/93 | Demon 4 APS-Barbarian 100/100 | HA-venomancer 100 | DPH Assassin 100 | Pure Mag Wizard 100 | Demon Pure Mag Stormbringer 96 | Demon DPS Archer 94 | Sage Vit Barbarian 93 | Demon All-Path Blademaster 93 | Str Seeker 86 | Pure Mag Venomancer 81 | Pure Mag Wizard 81 | Pure Dex Duskblade 47
  • Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    Mayfly - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,094 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Manray, I adore your posts so much x3 Just wanted to say.
    I wonder(ed) why I couldn't find Neolithic Schema in the wiki page as type four, 'as looking for it, too...

That would be because I haven't yet tamed a Type 4 wolf and added it to Pet Groups and given it its own page. (I haven't been as active in expanding the pet pages as I was.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Weekly Japanese/English bilingual webcomic
    thejapanesepage.com/ebooks/yuki_no_monogatari_manga
  • Raujada - Archosaur
    Raujada - Archosaur Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Options
    MANray... O__O you're amazing! I didn't expect such a detailed answer! Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us! :D

Kiszmet thank you too :) I have to say the truth, between all gray wolves, the first wolf pup you get is the most nice :D I will try to upgrade it and see how it works.
  • Phoenix_Eye - Heavens Tear
    Phoenix_Eye - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,681 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Yay MANray is back ^^

oops *goes back hiding in his stalking hole*

btw for detail's sake , Raziyal is right Kowlin is a feline

*puff*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    <--- MALE Veno ..... Moved to G W 2 or maybe not completely , don't know ...... PW addiction
    {That TT xbow chain is one that describes someone's bowel movements after having too much spicy food. A loud **** (Thundercrack), then a burning sensation (Flash Fire), followed by an explosion of multi-colored poo-confetti (Blinding Radiance). Excellent...} By Quilue
  • KingClawX - Lost City
    KingClawX - Lost City Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Options
    alphin lunar is a very colorfull full grown wolf dog pet.

much like the pup u see near all minor city including archo.

sadly how the game mechanism work is that the lower lv they are the more damage stats they get.

what does help as a higher lv pet is there speed is much better then lower lv and look way more cool then the small size pup u see at start of the game.

lunar lupin is for this very reason one of my popular wolf/dog alianator.

can be found near the city south of silver pool.

it spawn as its killed.