Flag Digging

Options
Star_Prism - Archosaur
Star_Prism - Archosaur Posts: 216 Arc User
edited March 2013 in Nation Wars
Last night we had a few unusual battles and it got me thinking about who gets the flag. Normally the idea is let a tank dig and run the flag; in fact you see people in WC yelling at squishies because they dared to dig the flag. Well in at least 4 battles last night we had no 'tanks'. In one battle there was 12 of us against 4 of them and about 5 people were standing around the flag and no one is digging because they had it drilled into their heads that only a tank can run it. After several times of asking for a tank in battle chat a high 90's sin took the flag and he capped it because all 12 people actually guarded him as he ran. It was one of the few times in NW were I've seen random people all working together, it was kind of cool.

In another battle we had a similar problem were we did not have any tank builds and so no one was going for the flag. The other side was digging it and they would lose it right away because of how many DD's we had. But because every time you dig you get 1 point they were up to 8 points just from digging. Finally I said to heck with it and nabbed the flag myself and did manage to get to the capture point. But again the people were protecting me.

By the end of the night I had 4 digs and 3 captures on my 86 wizzie; so you do not need to be a tank to have the flag (but it is better). If a tank is at the flag spawn let them have it, but if there is not one there/available it is better to dig the flag and lose it than let the opponent dig and cap it. If you can get to 20 even just by digging, you still win.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

star-chaster.deviantart.com

star-chaster.tumblr.com
Post edited by Star_Prism - Archosaur on

Comments

• Zsw - Dreamweaver
    Zsw - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,087 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Problem is, often people dig the flag knowing that a tankier person is around and then get 1 shot. Hard to protect someone from getting 1 shot. Then people get mad.

It's not always better to dig it and lose it. It depends on your opponent's DD vs your DD. If you have enough DD to keep your opponent off the flag, then wait for a tank. If not, only then should you attempt to dig.
    Zsw -104 Sage Assassin
    TehZsw - 100 Demon Archer

All Luck No Skillz PvPer: youtube.com/user/zsw007
  • OontzOontz - Dreamweaver
    OontzOontz - Dreamweaver Posts: 782 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Don't know about arch, but dw has a buttload of r9rr. That **** isn't going to work here.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kniraven - Lost City
    Kniraven - Lost City Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Any class can dig. They ought to have appropriate apoth items though.
    The people who shouldn't dig are anyone in 9x gear and lower.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Star_Prism - Archosaur
    Star_Prism - Archosaur Posts: 216 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Any class can dig. They ought to have appropriate apoth items though.
    The people who shouldn't dig are anyone in 9x gear and lower.

I always carry chargers, though I normally use them to catch people carrying the flag rather than run it myself. Sunday was just a different night.
    Problem is, often people dig the flag knowing that a tankier person is around and then get 1 shot. Hard to protect someone from getting 1 shot. Then people get mad.
    It's not always better to dig it and lose it. It depends on your opponent's DD vs your DD. If you have enough DD to keep your opponent off the flag, then wait for a tank. If not, only then should you attempt to dig.

I agree with this, if a tank is available to get the flag, they should get it. On Sunday the one time I dug the flag and lost it, I was at the flag spawn and announced in chat where it was. A bit later I saw 5 people from the opposite side coming and still none from mine. I knew I could not hold 5 people off so I dug it just to keep them from getting it.
    You have to be able to make quick decisions of which is better. I figured in that battle if they were too busy to run and dig the flag they might be too busy to go after the other side if they had the flag.

And on a side note if you are going to call out the location of the flag check the map first to see if you are in east or west. Saying it's in west when it's in east is not very helpful. Everyone please keep that in mind.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

star-chaster.deviantart.com

star-chaster.tumblr.com
  • Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands
    Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands Posts: 7,231 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Options
    The problem is sometime there's barbs in the war, but they don't go dig cause they want to pvp, so you end losing the war cause no one dig waiting for the barbs to do, but some barbs don't do it.

A war I was in last Nw, I was on the flag announce it ''Flag west'', I wasn't digging cause I didn't had any speed pots on me, I waited 5 minutes no joke, no one came and there was barbs and bm in that war, no one was there from both side.

Many people see that event as PVP, but they forget that a loosing war give less points then the same war winning.

I personally call the flag, if none come I dig.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

b:dirty "I **** rainbows and love everyone"-Longknife b:cute
  • slamstone
    slamstone Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Options
    here's the thing...if u think you can dig carry and survive....do that....but for crying out loud analyze the situation first...

if u have a tank near u that seems to be wanting to dig the flag let him

if u do not know your oponents power....dont digg it unless u're 100% u'lll have support

anything u do concerning the flag is simple: stop, think...think again...really think again and then act...allways assume ull have no support no heals unless u are in a squad and comunicate.

and for god sake no matter what class u are and how tanky u think u are.....do not freaking dig the flag unless u have a speed pot without cooldown....u dont do anything but being a pain in the ars for everyone

from my point of view if your under lvl 100 and are more than 10 oponents in the land dont even think of digging the flag...safer to assume u'll die than to test it and **** things up.

yes i dont care about the lower lvls cuz 99% of them don't know anything but "ill try to hit something before i die....**** supporting others....carrying the flag and dying gets me those 10 points i need to get that canny...points i cant aquire cuz i have no gear i dont know what tt is....i dont care if i **** up im just greedy and need tokens...let the big boys fix my **** ups"
  • Irca - Harshlands
    Irca - Harshlands Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Options
    The problem is sometime there's barbs in the war, but they don't go dig cause they want to pvp, so you end losing the war cause no one dig waiting for the barbs to do, but some barbs don't do it.

A war I was in last Nw, I was on the flag announce it ''Flag west'', I wasn't digging cause I didn't had any speed pots on me, I waited 5 minutes no joke, no one came and there was barbs and bm in that war, no one was there from both side.

Many people see that event as PVP, but they forget that a loosing war give less points then the same war winning.

I personally call the flag, if none come I dig.

This....it is aggrivating being at the flag point and attempting to kill of the opposing team's diggers when your team is off pvping in the middle. I never dig, even if I have speed pots by the time I hit the gate the pot has warn off, hp in cool down, and all I have is blink. Man I wish more archers would speed buff flag carriers but that is a different issue. But I seriously can't stand waiting and waiting, trying to kill people who come near it, dying, going back to the point and the flag is STILL not picked. -.-

I have taken on the approach of "well if everyone is pvping imma pick the flag and get us a point before someone kills me"

wins some wars, loses some. I have personally only picked it twice (one of those I got it to our side but my stupid butt started going the wrong way at firstb:beatup) but have guarded my cleric friend while she does it.

I do that to though bella xD check the map, call east or west (usually not middle cause people always see it there) and wait and wait....then start yelling SOMEONE PICK THIS THING CAUSE I'M NOT GONNA. Granted I don't have purify wep yet. Work in progress. Might try to pick more often when that happens (with the gear too ofc)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Reliea - Sanctuary
    Reliea - Sanctuary Posts: 685 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Options

This happens to me so many times it's silly.
    People gotta get off the PK and back on the flag capping.
  • Colum - Raging Tide
    Colum - Raging Tide Posts: 1,696 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Lol I remember one time in NW I was camping at the spawn we had few enemies and few on our side on that certain map..

Well, a lvl 98 sin came to camp with me. He grabbed the flag and got killed while his delivering and he cried in normal chat things like " pls help me " " pls give me archer speed thing " and we said to him here we have barbs, we get the flag.

Next time the bugger was again roaming around the spawn and I got the flag, he said in normal chat " damn stupid barb "

wth lol
    Leader of Cyanure on Valonsurma and a proud member of Vertu
    Demon Strength Barbarian 103/103/101

Demon Pure Mag Cleric 102/102/101 | Demon 4 APS Assassin 102/102/101 | Demon Pure Mag Mystic 102/101/101 | Demon Pure Mag Psychic 100/100/93 | Demon 4 APS-Barbarian 100/100 | HA-venomancer 100 | DPH Assassin 100 | Pure Mag Wizard 100 | Demon Pure Mag Stormbringer 96 | Demon DPS Archer 94 | Sage Vit Barbarian 93 | Demon All-Path Blademaster 93 | Str Seeker 86 | Pure Mag Venomancer 81 | Pure Mag Wizard 81 | Pure Dex Duskblade 47
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    Miugre - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Options
    In my experience, there's never a guarantee that a flag will be run successfully, or even properly. For starters, I've gone the wrong way carrying the flag before, and I've seen people more experienced than myself do the same. :P

My barb is geared more for PVE than for PVP; the main reason I use him in NW is due to how he can get good contrib just for dying. That being said, I like to run the flag on him when I can, and I actually have something like a 60-70% success rate with it these days. My entire flag strategy consists of taking advantage when the enemy is alseep at the wheel. Holy Path at 90% of the dig, jump over the rocks toward the edge of the map, immediately follow up w/Charger when HP ends and continue skirting the border. By the time Charger runs out, at least 50% of the time there's no enemies in range of tab-targeting... and the rest of the time, one cast of violent triumph usually gets me to the flag without being bothered. The one exception is a BM with Reel In who's fast enough to follow me, but this is only a temporary inconvenience with VT on. It doesn't always work, but it's reliable enough to try. :P

In terms of who should dig a flag? Well, barbs are great if they know how to time things properly, but so are archers who know how to time things properly. I've even seen wizzies run flags while being attacked. The class and even the gear of the digger does not give you much of a clue how competent they are.

My personal biggest peeve is having no backup at the spawn. I usually pick E or W flag spawn to camp, but it works best if there are no enemies there. If an enemy comes up while I'm camping or digging, all I can really do is invoke and hold them off hoping for reinforcements to arrive. But what a surprise - they're all PKing in the center. So I eventually die, and an easily-preventable flag grab by the enemy occurs. >_>

I'm all for announcing flag locations, though. If you end up in a land with my barb, you'll see me saying "W" or "E" or "not W" or whatever else I can discern in battle chat. Anything to promote actually working together with the people on your side. :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes, I'm still a stubborn holdout in favor of the old game. Haters gonna hate. ;]

Other Active Characters:
    LigerKing (Barb), Girasole (BM), Shamsheer (Sin), ArborSoul (Mystic).
  • CapnK - Sanctuary
    CapnK - Sanctuary Posts: 1,166 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Honestly it doesn't matter if an off-class digs the flag as long as they're fast. A lot of times people are so busy pking that you can score without anyone even attacking you if you do it quickly.

If you're slow *and* squishy don't dig, call for help.

If there's someone tankier/faster than you nearby, let them dig and protect them. It's as simple as that. Even though I'm an excellent flag-runner myself I'll still defer to a well-geared barb if they're there. Although I often regret it afterwards when they run the wrong way or get popped. b:laugh