Class combination with mystics

Options
atiris1
atiris1 Posts: 13 Arc User
edited March 2013 in Mystic
Hello everyone, I am returning to Perfect World after a couple years. I am not familiar with the new expansion and the changes to each class. I am returning this time, to play with my girlfriend who is pretty sure she is starting with a Mystic. I'm trying to decide which class I want to play with her while still being able to enjoy playing the class. These are the choices I am considering:

- Archer
- Seeker
- Psychic
- Mystic

Archer: My playstyle works best with this type of class. I use to play a Hunter in WoW and I play an archer in just about every RPG game I play. I excel at playing at a range while also playing the role as a damage class. I fear, however, that a full DD class teamed with Mystic would fail due to lack of having an actual tank

Seeker: I heard that Seekers got a lot of buffs in the new expansion, which is the only reason I'm considering playing one. Typically, a melee class doesn't appeal to me. But being a sub-tank / DD class may work better with a Mystic, especially if her player is new to the game. Plus they start out at the same starting zone.

Psychic: Psychics are fast-casting, hard-hitting mages that can also support heal. I'd spend my time killing mobs and then also support the mystic with off-heals if need be. Again, I question the survivability of our team without a tank and I think the Psychic will be less able to survive than the Archer.

Mystic: I played a Mystic my first time around and got it to level 50 (not that high, but I still feel like I had a decent understanding). By playing a Mystic, I think I can physically show her the mechanics and then build my Mystic to be more supportive/ healing based while directing her to focus on dealing damage. The downside is that I think it will be hard to find a squad with two mystics as oppose to the other classes I named.

So those are my thoughts on the subject and I was hoping that the PWI forum can shed some light/ experience on the subject to help me make a decision. Thank you!
Post edited by atiris1 on

Comments

• Mezmir - Dreamweaver
    Mezmir - Dreamweaver Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Well, generally i would say that I feel safer being paired with an actual tank, so based only on my opinion i would say seeker. That said, i still feel like an archer or some other class could work. Mystics do have decent-good healing capabilities (not as good as a cleric's obviously) and i believe that if anything a mystic could keep an archer alive. You will just have to show how how to heal properly and you should be ok with any class. That said just go with what you enjoy most, although there are some other classes that would work better with a mystic, i still believe that your girlfriend would completely understand if you just decided to play your favorite role. b:victory
  • Eoria - Harshlands
    Eoria - Harshlands Posts: 6,118 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Archers are decent tanks at end-game provided you have some kind of gear. Honestly, I'd probably pick it out of any of your other options (except maybe seeker from a pure practicality POV). But I'm of the opinion that you should play what you enjoy.

Your main problem will basically come from any of your possible combinations not including any of the holy trinity of cleric/barb/BM buffs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"subtraction has the butt of an angel" - Paulrogers
    I <3 Subtraction.
    /blatant sig copy is blatant

105/105/105 obtained! b:cute
  • HrunsPanda - Archosaur
    HrunsPanda - Archosaur Posts: 1,136 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Sounds like you are both starting out and going to be low geared and pve oriented.

It is good te be a team in PvE since it can be hard to find squads. You may even want to consider having 2 accounts each and dual clienting. This way you can have a squad of 4 with just 2 people. Of course, you can not control 2 characters as well as you could control one, but you could have a main and a secondary that is mostly for buffs. If they are roughly equally equiped, you could change wich one is your main depending on the situation and what other players you might find that want to join you. In this case, barb and cleric are of course interesting options to have as well. They provide the important buffs and the cleric can just be following to res when needed.

I did played the barb and cleric combi with a friend and it was nice. Not fast killing though. It would have been nice to have DD secondaries with it.

So if you'd do that, then i'd say take an archer, cleric and barb. So she could choose what her secondary would be.

If not, i would indeed go for a bit more tanky and probably choose the seeker.

It does however also depend a bit on what you expect. If you just want to do mostly the standard kill 50 of this and that quests together and try to find a squad for the daily BH quests and the cultivation quests, then any combination will do.

If you want to do most with the 2 of you, and need help not too often but still for the cultivation bosses and in all practicallity for the BHs if you dont want to spend 4 hours on them each day, a seeker and mystic can get a long way.

If you want to be virtually independent of others, then you will need to dual client and include at least a barb and cleric for buffs.
  • Marid - Dreamweaver
    Marid - Dreamweaver Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Options
    I'd suggest seeker. It's tanky and can do reasonable damage, particularly to groups of mobs. It's not a pure melee class in that it has many ranged skills, and is a skill-based class. It also has a wood debuff and metal debuff, supporting the mystic's damage.
    b:pleasedb:pleasedb:pleased
  • Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands
    Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands Posts: 7,231 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Archer or seeker, though that 2 mystics could be pretty amazing too, one support/healer the other fully Dding.

It's up to you play the class you enjoy the most.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

b:dirty "I **** rainbows and love everyone"-Longknife b:cute
  • soundslegit
    soundslegit Posts: 472 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Options
    I always wanted a mystic gf but it never happened. Mystics and seekers seem like a perfect match to me. Mysts can't purify, but seekers have 2 skills which self purify. Storm mistress does metal damage and seekers have two metal damage debuffs and a wood debuff for the other myst attacks. Cragglord does fire damage and lasts 20 seconds and seekers have a debuff that lasts 20 seconds and amps fire damage by 200%. Seekers are skill spammers not auto attackers and mysts have a buff that increases skill damage. Mysts can't buff mag defense but seekers have the best mag defense of any HA class due to the defense level buff. I could prolly name more things if I tried.

Pan Gu, gimme my myst gf they are so cute.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Magus_X - Dreamweaver
    Magus_X - Dreamweaver Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Options
    I played with my friend who was a psy and we do decent dmg but I too suggest for seeker here.b:laugh
  • mrcharlyplustwo
    mrcharlyplustwo Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Seeker, without a doubt.

Seekers have a load of awesome AOE skills. Teamed with a Mystics protective and healing spells, a seeker will be able to clear a lot of mobs quickly and tank bosses.

The only time seeker will be lacking is when in a mixed squad. They won't be able to hold a boss's aggro (not being high dd compared to other classes).
  • Brillance - Raging Tide
    Brillance - Raging Tide Posts: 1,643 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Options
    I think Id roll with the Seeker too.

Although, there is a lot to be said for what Eoria posted about something you will enjoy.

A Seeker probably wont be as 'squishy' as your other options, and would allow her some time to learn about her summons/plants/DD spells. Healing isnt all there is to a Mystic, afterall.

I also agree with the comment about the Holy Trinity. b:chuckle
  • atiris1
    atiris1 Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Options
    You all gave me great advice and made a good case for seeker. I leveled one to at least 10 and I enjoy its playstyle from what I've experienced. I am now torn between cleric, seeker and archer though.

What I am afraid of with the seeker is the role as a tank. I don't particularly like tanking, never have. I've always exceled as dps or healer. Also, both the mystic and seeker are more support classes. Mystics aren't main healers and seekers aren't main tanks. This means it'll be difficult for us to get a squad without hindering it.. unless I'm wrong?

Your advice and feedback is greatly appreciated and I am taking your advice. Keep it coming :)
  • soundslegit
    soundslegit Posts: 472 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Options
    atiris1 wrote: »
    You all gave me great advice and made a good case for seeker. I leveled one to at least 10 and I enjoy its playstyle from what I've experienced. I am now torn between cleric, seeker and archer though.

What I am afraid of with the seeker is the role as a tank. I don't particularly like tanking, never have. I've always exceled as dps or healer. Also, both the mystic and seeker are more support classes. Mystics aren't main healers and seekers aren't main tanks. This means it'll be difficult for us to get a squad without hindering it.. unless I'm wrong?

Your advice and feedback is greatly appreciated and I am taking your advice. Keep it coming :)

As a seeker the problem with getting into squads is there is rarely a reason to have more than one seeker in the squad. Other than that its not hard to get into squads.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • thumbs
    thumbs Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Options
    atiris1 wrote: »
    Also, both the mystic and seeker are more support classes. Mystics aren't main healers and seekers aren't main tanks.

All classes are support classes in this game. Most can be main tanks. Mystics are main healers; many of us just simply didn't create one to be that. Clerics are better for some healing situations; Mystics for others but both are very capable.
    This means it'll be difficult for us to get a squad without hindering it.. unless I'm wrong?

No, and make the squads yourself. If you have tank and healer; it should only cost a single tele or small amount of time in archo to fill squad with dd's most of the time.

I'd go cleric though.
  • Fexia - Lothranis
    Fexia - Lothranis Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Options
    i suggest mystic not cleric, their heals and attacks are like twice faster than cleric so its more fun to play, dont forget that mystic also can solo tt in earlier levels for extra coins. mystic can replace cleric in many dungeons(depends on squad members/lvls and other situations) and while u heal u still can debuff with herb and deal dmg with pet. both playing mystics u will have more stuff to do, duo dungeons for molds, duo tt for tt mats, duo bosses. if u cant solo boss then other can help heal pet. mystics are always nice to have in squad even two of them. and people arent so picky anymore, if cant find barb they will take any tank - more often i see tank - damage dealer cuz squad cant find tank or tank cant hold agro. if cant find cleric they will happily go with mystic.
    in some cases mystic can give more support than cleric. mystic have fast heal, heal that gives hp when tank is hit, 2 aoe healing herbs, herb that reduces boss dmg(can use it with one of the healing herbs), pet that can heal and aborb dmg. and res buff just rocks lol.
    its definately one op class which for some reason is underrated.

even if you pick damage dealer class don't wonder if squad designs you as tank just because you deal more dmg, have more defense(easier for healer to keep you alive than others) or you are higher level.
  • Odinna - Dreamweaver
    Odinna - Dreamweaver Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Options
    I did the same with my husband, started a new chars and I got mystic and he got a seeker. Is really fun, when we grind he starts the vortex and I pulled the mobs and heal him b:chuckle we get a lot of fun together. Seekers are good tanks and do pretty good damage and mystic can support him all the time b:cute

Hope you enjoy all the time together b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thank You so much Silvy for the sig! b:pleased
  • Davasque - Sanctuary
    Davasque - Sanctuary Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Seeker sounds good to team up with a mystic, but choose a class that you can enjoy b:pleased