Psychic/ Mystic?

Options
atiris1
atiris1 Posts: 13 Arc User
edited March 2013 in Psychic
Hello everyone, I am returning to Perfect World after a couple years. I am not familiar with the new expansion and the changes to each class. I am returning this time, to play with my girlfriend who is pretty sure she is starting with a Mystic. I'm trying to decide which class I want to play with her while still being able to enjoy playing the class. These are the choices I am considering:

- Archer
- Seeker
- Psychic
- Mystic

Archer: My playstyle works best with this type of class. I use to play a Hunter in WoW and I play an archer in just about every RPG game I play. I excel at playing at a range while also playing the role as a damage class. I fear, however, that a full DD class teamed with Mystic would fail due to lack of having an actual tank

Seeker: I heard that Seekers got a lot of buffs in the new expansion, which is the only reason I'm considering playing one. Typically, a melee class doesn't appeal to me. But being a sub-tank / DD class may work better with a Mystic, especially if her player is new to the game. Plus they start out at the same starting zone.

Psychic: Psychics are fast-casting, hard-hitting mages that can also support heal. I'd spend my time killing mobs and then also support the mystic with off-heals if need be. Again, I question the survivability of our team without a tank and I think the Psychic will be less able to survive than the Archer.

Mystic: I played a Mystic my first time around and got it to level 50 (not that high, but I still feel like I had a decent understanding). By playing a Mystic, I think I can physically show her the mechanics and then build my Mystic to be more supportive/ healing based while directing her to focus on dealing damage. The downside is that I think it will be hard to find a squad with two mystics as oppose to the other classes I named.

So those are my thoughts on the subject and I was hoping that the PWI forum can shed some light/ experience on the subject to help me make a decision. Thank you!
Post edited by atiris1 on

Comments

• X_volcano_y - Harshlands
    X_volcano_y - Harshlands Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Options
    First of all you should only play the class you enjoy. All of those you mentioned have thier cons and pros and use.
    2nd Archer wear light armor making its defenses balanced in terms of pdef and mdef but it doesnt get the best of neither. High physical dmg output and some mag dmg skills as well. Only holdback is the dmg nerf at short range and any skilled player can avoid that.
    Sry i cant help you much on seeker.
    You described psy exactly. Being in general low in hp and pdef make it a bit fragile class. I didnt understand the your question about survivabilty do u mean stealing arrgo when no barb or having to tank yourself. For stealing arrgo we have a skill called white vodoo which will lower ur dmg enough, if you mean tanking yourself it is only a couple of hits difference from archer while tank magic much better
    Mystic is a very hybird class. at end game mystic is rarely needed as a healer(not enough in most cases) unless the cleric is a fail. the dmg of psy is much higher and their defences are nearly the same.
    I hope i helped a bit
  • atiris1
    atiris1 Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Options
    You did, thank you. What I meant by Psychic's survivability is taking the damage, but you managed to answer that. Your opinion is greatly appreciated
  • TheDendra - Harshlands
    TheDendra - Harshlands Posts: 222 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Options
    If you intend to put endgame gear on psy, aka r9rr+10 or better, it will have way more survivability against all classes than an archer has. Don't let the "low phys.def" argument fool you, psys are a unique casters class that sure, has the lowest phys. def of all casters but it also happens to get free defense levels and have psychic will which grants you virtual immortality vs physical classes - and let's not forget sage bubble+expel combo which doubles the duration of that immortality.

Archers' survivability = running away from people, because a psy will cut through you like butter if you try trading punches with one. So if you like to run and hide a lot, take archer because it does have a certain advantage in mobility, but the new r9rr purify weapon for casters more than makes up for it - not to mention psys are more versatile than archers since they're not just pure dd class but also a valuable support and on top of that they deal insane amounts of damage (i.e. r8+7 psy deals more or equal damage to a r8+10 archer, so with same gear psy will more than deal more damage than an archer can).
  • PotatoHeadQR - Dreamweaver
    PotatoHeadQR - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,507 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Mmmmm to be frank, mystic+anything of those doesn't seem a great pair; in any case, I think that mystic+seeker has the most potential to be accepted in squads.

Generally you should take into consideration two types of squads: leveling+farming.
    Leveling would be PV, FC, BH. In FC and PV your seeker would excel and the mystic would be nice too. BH will be fine too.

On farming however, you might as well forget TT; I think that during the first levels the best way would be going in nation wars to be a meatbag for everyone else and grind. In the end game, you will have BH for which you will probably find squads easily and full Warsongs. Now, Warsong squads usually want cleric+barb+bm+sin+2; usually that +2 is sin+caster. Your seeker will probably be able to replace a sin or the bm; the mystic could fill the caster roll. For the record, I have yet to see a mystic in Warsong. Of course everything will be solved if you have exceptional gear/skill/faction/friends/form your own squads but in the end, by rolling mystic+seeker you will have a disadvantage. Note that mystic+psy/mystic will probably be impossible in WS and mystic+archer is debatable. Keep in mind that you don't have to just be good and do your job but also fight the highly prejudiced playerbase. Btw, the other pairs (mystic+psy/archer/mystic) will have more trouble finding FC/PV/BH squads too.

In the end, in my view, you might want to talk about having a different couple combo. Clerics are always in demand and share the healing playstyle with mystics. Venos share the pet system (somewhat) and are wanted for purge+amp.

All in all, in pwi extras have a hard time finding a squad; get two extras and your only way to play together would be forming your own squad.
    you only purge once #yopo