PWI Sanc Diary 8 - When Nations Collide

TheDan - Sanctuary
TheDan - Sanctuary Posts: 3,495 Arc User
edited February 2013 in Blademaster
My first Nation War video filmed this past Sunday:

One of my most consistent runs with a decent amount of supply tokens. Every war I got into was decent so I just left the film uncut.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNE5ZTPTK6Y

I'm also featured in Asterelle's first NW video on Friday in his second battle here if you want to watch a different NW from Archer PoV! Gotta give him a thumbs up on his music choice!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTyiHEGizqs
BM PvP Guide: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1320761

YouTube channels: youtube.com/TheDan912 and youtube.com/TheDanPWI
Post edited by TheDan - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Rhyme - Harshlands
    Rhyme - Harshlands Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Woah you just get better and better with every video. Didn't think it was possible. Jumps, stuns, smack, morai skills, etc. Learned a lot from this keep it coming.
  • Maelael - Heavens Tear
    Maelael - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,497 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Got any key points to watch?

I watched a bit and skipped around and it looks like the video I chose to delete of me running around for two hours 1-3 shotting scrubs. I have the feeling I just got unlucky and saw most of your easy fights. Just gimmie some time frames.
    pwcalc.com/bb6fc16982637a5c / pwcalc.com/28948ee5778526f5
  • TheDan - Sanctuary
    edited February 2013
    I'll admit there weren't that many hard opponents; it was more the numbers that was the challenge. We struggled quite a bit doing 8-9v20s, all my deaths occurred between 25:15 - 31:55. That was probably our hardest fight considering we barely won with 4 minutes left on the clock.

Edit: Included a Highlights List in the description of the video:

17:02 - 22:28 R9 Archers Galore
    17:16 - Epic Blade Tornado
    21:08 - Abusing Blade Tornado
    22:55 - Epic Save, Flag kill 1 meter from turn in
    25:15 - 31:55 - Hardest fight of the NW, barely won
    25:42 - Broken Skill is Broken

• Spinner_ - Sanctuary
    Spinner_ - Sanctuary Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Woah you just get better and better with every video. Didn't think it was possible. Jumps, stuns, smack, morai skills, etc. Learned a lot from this keep it coming.

Not to put TheDan down for the video or anything but atm he has such a advantage with the gear he has over everybody else during Nw so you can't really comment much on his skills during the video to much as it's just 1-2 shot dead.

In my opinion i prefered the vids when you were equally geared with others as it shows how you can actually play your char when the opponents actually have a chance of killing you b:thanks

Needless to say, won't be too long before Nw won't be as easy as this due to every other person upgrading to r999 or refining there G16 to a decent level so am looking forward to the vids in the future \o/
  • Jaabg - Sanctuary
    Jaabg - Sanctuary Posts: 2,256 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Nw won't be as easy as this due to every other person upgrading to r999 or refining there G16 to a decent level so am looking forward to the vids in the future \o/

I am guessing the number of people doing NW will drop though. There is only so much abuse most people can take at being one shot every time all the time.

I started doing the tiger event again. It used to be 190~220 people, it is now 150~170 people. Could have picked 2 bad weeks. The number of people doing public events might dropping off. Casters one shot the mobs practically.
  • Maelael - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2013
    Not to put TheDan down for the video or anything but atm he has such a advantage with the gear he has over everybody else during Nw so you can't really comment much on his skills during the video to much as it's just 1-2 shot dead.

In my opinion i prefered the vids when you were equally geared with others as it shows how you can actually play your char when the opponents actually have a chance of killing you b:thanks

Needless to say, won't be too long before Nw won't be as easy as this due to every other person upgrading to r999 or refining there G16 to a decent level so am looking forward to the vids in the future \o/

Butthurt much? Seriously take your trash QQ elsewhere.

A N3 Wizzie or Psy can pretty much one shot entire fields all day too. Issue is the amount of underleveled undergeared (HP mostly) opponents. It's why I asked him where the good fights are.

And FYI, Coordination counts for a lot more than gear. However you may never understand or get that if you're that focused on the quote above.
  • Spinner_ - Sanctuary
    edited February 2013
    Butthurt much? Seriously take your trash QQ elsewhere.

A N3 Wizzie or Psy can pretty much one shot entire fields all day too. Issue is the amount of underleveled undergeared (HP mostly) opponents. It's why I asked him where the good fights are.

And FYI, Coordination counts for a lot more than gear. However you may never understand or get that if you're that focused on the quote above.

What is with you forum people instantly jumping to "QQ" "Trash". Ffs actually read my post wont you.

Yes he is very well geared atm and in 2 hours of Nw he comes across 1 battle where he matches people in gear quality and coordination. This is what im pointing at, if you watched the whole video he was just butt **** everyone even when ganked.

And FYI, have you been to any Nw...... If you have then you would notice that 90% of the people in Nw just tab and pew pew and not care about the flag at all. But yes coordination can do more than gear but as you can tell from the video, people are stupid and don't think about what they're meant to be doing in Nw, taking the flag.
  • Maelael - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2013
    Okay spinner, you're dumb. Go back to the Seeker forums where you belong.

Dan I watched what you recommended. Your opponents, even the decent geared ones were woefully underskilled and undercoordinated - and still a majority of them were really scrubby.

However, a good section of what you recommended shows choice timing on BT and a few other skills - good stuff. Great examples of patience with several skills.

I do gotta ask however, why the lack of Roars? or was the 4x (I swear it was 6x) speed just **** with me and you did use some? I swear I saw a bunch of HFs without the stun first, and a lot of areas you could have stunned to help set them up for death more/better.
  • CapnK - Sanctuary
    CapnK - Sanctuary Posts: 1,166 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Here let me do Telarith's job:

Using Smack as a ranged attack.
    Barely any weapon switching.
    Barely any flying.

Perfect example of how to play as a cashshopped BM.

j/k, I liked the video. Was particularly impressed that your squad went backwards to defend your lands instead of rushing forward to try and lock Flame. That's smart play. Also glad to see you're not hesitant to use Blade Tornado in NW (and TW!) anymore.
  • TheDan - Sanctuary
    edited February 2013

It wasn't the best PvP I admit, but in my defense it was one of my most consistent runs without anyone getting the delta bug at the beginning and losing half the squad before anyone even gets in. Then everyone getting sent back to base because we're only a squad of 5v20 for 30-40 minutes and base-locked like what happened on Friday in Asterelle's video. It's very very hard to get a good fight in NW, the hard fights are trying to break an enemy base-lock. The whole reason I didn't bother to record Friday's NW was because I was essentially going solo with only barb buffs because you can't get everyone into the same base-lock instance.

I guess in short, the goal of my video on Sunday was to demonstrate a normal consistent run, the base lock wars I had on Friday were better PvP, but my squad was separated and the instances were less coordinated and consistent. I'm sure when the new NW instance is released with 6 instances outside of base, squads can actually coordinate themselves to face other OP squads in whole, without the stragglers.

I'm actually not that well geared compared to the people in the 2nd video I linked. I'm only +10 r999 armor and +11 weapon, with no shards in gear atm except garnet gems in weapon. Almost all of Asterelle's squad I faced was +12 r999 with JOSD. If you watch the 2nd video you can evaluate my skills against opponents that out-gear me heavily, as the difference between +10 and +12 is huge.
    I do gotta ask however, why the lack of Roars? or was the 4x (I swear it was 6x) speed just **** with me and you did use some? I swear I saw a bunch of HFs without the stun first, and a lot of areas you could have stunned to help set them up for death more/better.

I did roar when appropriate in the video; maybe in that particular section I didn't as much, but I tend to stun-lock opponents that are more of a threat and can stay alive through ganks, like when that r9 +12 seeker was carrying the flag in that section who kept getting purified by a cleric and almost scored and caused us to lose. A lot of times when you AoE stun a large group of people they'll get 1-2 seconds to react to it and AD, so my HFs without stun were to try to kill them before they could react with AD.

I guess if you watch the 2nd video made by Asterelle you'll see me stunning a LOT more due to everyone in his squad being a threat, even 1v1.

• FateBlade - Lost City
    FateBlade - Lost City Posts: 519 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Spinner_ - Sanctuary
    edited February 2013
    It wasn't the best PvP I admit, but in my defense it was one of my most consistent runs without anyone getting the delta bug at the beginning and losing half the squad before anyone even gets in. Then everyone getting sent back to base because we're only a squad of 5v20 for 30-40 minutes and base-locked like what happened on Friday in Asterelle's video. It's very very hard to get a good fight in NW, the hard fights are trying to break an enemy base-lock. The whole reason I didn't bother to record Friday's NW was because I was essentially going solo with only barb buffs because you can't get everyone into the same base-lock instance.

I guess in short, the goal of my video on Sunday was to demonstrate a normal consistent run, the base lock wars I had on Friday were better PvP, but my squad was separated and the instances were less coordinated and consistent. I'm sure when the new NW instance is released with 6 instances outside of base, squads can actually coordinate themselves to face other OP squads in whole, without the stragglers.

Oh Yeah i can understand that completely, very rarely is there a whole NW where people don't spend atleast 10 mins baselocked xD Yes i think when the new map arrives the battles will be more like the ones shown in the video as there will be a less likely chance of being in base for too long.
    I'm actually not that well geared compared to the people in the 2nd video I linked. I'm only +10 r999 armor and +11 weapon, with no shards in gear atm except garnet gems in weapon. Almost all of Asterelle's squad I faced was +12 r999 with JOSD. If you watch the 2nd video you can evaluate my skills against opponents that out-gear me heavily, as the difference between +10 and +12 is huge.

That's why i mentioned in my second post about the 1 battle in 2 hours of Nw that you came across a team that were similarly/better geared than yourself, but other than that 1 battle you would have racked up 10k+ points just running around 1 shotting people so atm it seems to be really easy getting tons of tokens without needing a great amount of skill.

Wasn't doubting your skill's at all, i know your a decent bm through Tw, watching vids etc xD Just anyone who has R999 atm or G16 at +10/12 are having the easiest time in the world in NW until they come across a similarly matched team, but that happens maybe once a NW so it doesn't make much of a difference unless baselocked. b:chuckle
  • Maelael - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2013
    I did roar when appropriate in the video; maybe in that particular section I didn't as much, but I tend to stun-lock opponents that are more of a threat and can stay alive through ganks, like when that r9 +12 seeker was carrying the flag in that section who kept getting purified by a cleric and almost scored and caused us to lose. A lot of times when you AoE stun a large group of people they'll get 1-2 seconds to react to it and AD, so my HFs without stun were to try to kill them before they could react with AD.

I guess if you watch the 2nd video made by Asterelle you'll see me stunning a LOT more due to everyone in his squad being a threat, even 1v1.

kay watched it.

I feel the purge pole, in some cases, you would have been better off with axes as you may have just killed her buffed instead of taking the time hoping for a lucky purge and getting nowhere. God you got ganked in some areas lol, Ive so been there. Have you looked into a def level pole?

But yea moar roars Id say. I see what you mean by the HF to get in before AD, I just find that people who are gonna fall to that are gonna die to Fissure/Highland just as easy. If they all AD, thats good for you as thats now in CD for them and they have an empty genie. But thats my style of thinking.

I also so a lot of single person HFs - I'm of a mind thats bad unless it's a flag puller or a DD thats killing everyone on your side that people can't put down. I've always been one to just Will and utilize drake bash for a heavy hit instead, save the chi for something else down the road, etc.

But overall in both vids (save the single person HFs which Im kinda against), it shows good skill choices at timings regardless of gearing/playstyle of the opponents. Thumbs up.
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Almost all of Asterelle's squad I faced was +12 r999 with JOSD. If you watch the 2nd video you can evaluate my skills against opponents that out-gear me heavily, as the difference between +10 and +12 is huge.

Nah you're thinking Kirby's squad...
    In mine everyone is mostly R9 or R999 +7~+10 armor with +10~+11 R999 weapon. I don't think anyone else is JoSD except maybe yesy and disconnect (disconnect is not r999 at all though).
    If the others were more tanky I wouldn't put so much effort into flagging.

It is a shame though that NW does not encourage the OP squads to fight eachother. The best way to help your nation is usually to go for a base lock and those battles fill up so fast with noobs it is impossible to get a coordinated squad into them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • Maelael - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2013
    In mine everyone is mostly R9 or R999 +7~+10 armor with +10~+11 R999 weapon. I don't think anyone else is JoSD except maybe yesy and disconnect (disconnect is not r999 at all though).

It is a shame though that NW does not encourage the OP squads to fight eachother. The best way to help your nation is usually to go for a base lock and those battles fill up so fast with noobs it is impossible to get a coordinated squad into them.

I think if I fight in 20 battles:

1-3 are well matched and hella fun.
    15 are vs Scrubs.
    2-4 are me separated from my party and getting lolrolled because my support is in TT80/TT90 and does 400 damage to naked clerics and has 5k or less HP.

I've had a few nights a few weeks back where it was fomg good fights base locking dark repeatedly - just that dark wasn't able to coordinate as well as the 6-8 people on our side. Although the last two weeks Ive gotten stuck in the nation with downs.

I'm actually a fan of 100+ NW, or a soulforce minimum NW. Like a special league. I'm still on the fence with Purify Spell. After some recent experiences, nobody but a tanky AA with a purify weapon should be digging a flag.* It may have to be disabled for balance in NW, it may not.

*Unless you suck like some people from a faction were not supposed to name and shame.
  • TheDan - Sanctuary
    edited February 2013

Hmm, I probably exaggerated a bit too much, but I know for sure almost everyone in your squad at least the DD had the R999 weapon which alone is the most important piece for DD.

But yeah, it's a shame I can't really get any good PvP footage because it's very very very rare I land in a war that goes the full 25 minutes as your video showed, because the current mechanics don't allow full OP squads to fight other full OP squads. The rare occasion you might see the full 25 minute battle is if you get lucky and a few r999 players land in 1 instance against another r999 squad and hold it out 10v20 or so.

Most NW we either completely roll the opponent, or get rolled so naturally my average run won't have great PvP. I've probably stumbled across 2, maybe 3 instances ever in the past few months that ever went the full 25 minutes. So I really applaud the footage you got there. The 2-3 times I actually stumbled upon a 25 minute war I wasn't recording so I kind of missed my opportunity, as the 25 minute wars are the most even.
    kay watched it.

I feel the purge pole, in some cases, you would have been better off with axes as you may have just killed her buffed instead of taking the time hoping for a lucky purge and getting nowhere. God you got ganked in some areas lol, Ive so been there. Have you looked into a def level pole?

But yea moar roars Id say. I see what you mean by the HF to get in before AD, I just find that people who are gonna fall to that are gonna die to Fissure/Highland just as easy. If they all AD, thats good for you as thats now in CD for them and they have an empty genie. But thats my style of thinking.

I also so a lot of single person HFs - I'm of a mind thats bad unless it's a flag puller or a DD thats killing everyone on your side that people can't put down. I've always been one to just Will and utilize drake bash for a heavy hit instead, save the chi for something else down the road, etc.

But overall in both vids (save the single person HFs which Im kinda against), it shows good skill choices at timings regardless of gearing/playstyle of the opponents. Thumbs up.

I probably made an error in judgement with the spear and a few times with the single target HFs, because I underestimated my team's DD (wasn't with my normal squad to really gauge our DD), he did almost died a few times where if I had used the axes I could have delt more damage and possibility landed a finishing blow on him, but it's all a gamble with the purge spear. I often pull the purge spear out on an immune stunned target hoping it'd purge the immune stun.

I actually used to have a defense level spear but I re-rolled it to get the spirit blackhole, however if it's possible I can make a 2nd pole I would probably get defense level.

I will for sure work on improving my judgement and timing on things though, I re-watch my old videos when I'm bored and even today I'm seeing subtle improvements that add up over time when I thought I really couldn't improve much more, but it's always possible to do better so long as there's room to improve timing, etc. It's actually scary to watch some of my old videos where I actually thought I was doing well in PvP (Diary 2 I made huge mistakes as evident with all my deaths where given my current abilities I probably wouldn't have died once) and spot mistakes I made I never would have noticed before. Maybe another 3 months down the line I'll be able to look at the current and see more mistakes and continue making room for improvement in play style.

• Maelael - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2013
    I will for sure work on improving my judgement and timing on things though, I re-watch my old videos when I'm bored and even today I'm seeing subtle improvements that add up over time when I thought I really couldn't improve much more, but it's always possible to do better so long as there's room to improve timing, etc. It's actually scary to watch some of my old videos where I actually thought I was doing well in PvP (Diary 2 I made huge mistakes as evident with all my deaths where given my current abilities I probably wouldn't have died once) and spot mistakes I made I never would have noticed before. Maybe another 3 months down the line I'll be able to look at the current and see more mistakes and continue making room for improvement in play style.

Theres a group of us on HT that criticize the hell outta each other (like not to be mean, but improvement and such), and were all kinda different in playstyle too.

Mostly were looking at "What was the optimal choice", but it has a lot to do with perspective. I'm mostly a CC/Support BM, whereas some others go for the kill. In some cases, going for that kill is optimal, and at the same time so is CCing the whole group so your side can wipe out a whole **** ton of people. Looking back is a lot of shoulda coulda woulda, but it's still a matter of personal style and well...theres like umpteen different situations out there, its hard to know what to do in each one when you have 9000 different choices.

So if single target ganks works best for your style with your party, then I'd say "Okay but I don't like it." If you feel you have the support to work on a lucky purge and it makes putting down a target doable for you - thats understandable for me, cause usually Im that CCer supporting you (Although i dont think Asty is tanky enough to be worth it)

I think it's very situational depending on the style you like to play, coupled with who your team/support is and who you're facing against. No real "perfect" way but I feel we all gotta look back at if there is something, even 1-2 things we should switch out strategically to improve our overall gameplay. I think if anything our overall game play changes styles over time to what we are enjoying, and fits the needs of the fights. I've ganked some ideas from your other videos for sure for some situations, others I wouldn't use but I do definitely agree they work.

Example is how I handle coming out of BT: I either Will and start CCing or bounce, or I immediately go for Roar -> HF, or I stand around and look at the dead bodies. There are other viable strategies (chase, insta bounce, more AoEs, etc), but I think its kinda style and situational.

Hell I started out with highland cleaving and fissuring everything in sight a year ago...
  • TheDan - Sanctuary
    edited February 2013
    Theres a group of us on HT that criticize the hell outta each other (like not to be mean, but improvement and such), and were all kinda different in playstyle too.

Mostly were looking at "What was the optimal choice", but it has a lot to do with perspective. I'm mostly a CC/Support BM, whereas some others go for the kill. In some cases, going for that kill is optimal, and at the same time so is CCing the whole group so your side can wipe out a whole **** ton of people. Looking back is a lot of shoulda coulda woulda, but it's still a matter of personal style and well...theres like umpteen different situations out there, its hard to know what to do in each one when you have 9000 different choices.

So if single target ganks works best for your style with your party, then I'd say "Okay but I don't like it." If you feel you have the support to work on a lucky purge and it makes putting down a target doable for you - thats understandable for me, cause usually Im that CCer supporting you (Although i dont think Asty is tanky enough to be worth it)

I think it's very situational depending on the style you like to play, coupled with who your team/support is and who you're facing against. No real "perfect" way but I feel we all gotta look back at if there is something, even 1-2 things we should switch out strategically to improve our overall gameplay. I think if anything our overall game play changes styles over time to what we are enjoying, and fits the needs of the fights. I've ganked some ideas from your other videos for sure for some situations, others I wouldn't use but I do definitely agree they work.

Example is how I handle coming out of BT: I either Will and start CCing or bounce, or I immediately go for Roar -> HF, or I stand around and look at the dead bodies. There are other viable strategies (chase, insta bounce, more AoEs, etc), but I think its kinda style and situational.

Hell I started out with highland cleaving and fissuring everything in sight a year ago...

I like criticism, if everyone were a yes - man there'd never be any other opinions out there. I guess it really depends on the team and play-style. I know sometimes when we're in a fight we know we can't win, we try to send as many priority targets back to base as possible knowing the instance might not go our way. Other times just CCing hard opponents might work with the squad better if you have proper DD to finish the job. I guess my squad is a bit different, of all our DD, we only have 1 r999 caster so it makes it hard to kind of be the tank and DD, leaving little room for your own support.

Makes me wish I recorded a TW 2 weeks ago, of our faction fighting 50 of us vs 80 of the opposing faction and turtling it out for 2 hours. I was wiping 30 + people at a time, doing fortify + IG BT then AD + roar and HFing, we were wiping the entire faction with a few chained combos like that.