Elemental vs Physical Cube neck

Bhavyy - Raging Tide
Bhavyy - Raging Tide Posts: 1,083 Arc User
edited February 2013 in Archer
Hello my fellow archers,
A question that has plagued the mind of many -
Which is better for a rank 9 second recast archer - an elemental or a physical cube neck?

Granted the dps of a physical hitting class can be higher than magic classes especially with that zerk but then the physical necklaces refine for more pdef than the magic neck refines for mag def.
However if a wizard crits - you're done for in most cases so I've been wondering whether its even possible as archers to defend against end game wizard crits like that.

Is there a cross over point? For example with a certain amount of jades - does the magic necklace start doing a becoming more beneficial in terms of defense against the magic classes?

I plugged both the magic and the physical defense stats into Asterelles socket calculator and the physical necklace gave the best average defense but obviously its primarily only physical defense and it may be worth having a lower pdef if you can have high enough mag def to tank ulti crits.

I mean its basically working out to be a choice between stacking pdef more than mag def (having pdef neck) or having a similar defense value for both pdef and magdef (using the mag def neck).

Just a thought anyways - this is unlikely to change my decision to go physical neck but maybe this thread could be useful to someone in the future making the decision :)

b:victoryb:victory
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
youtube.com/bhavenmurji
pwcalc.com/65816fd7725681e1
Post edited by Bhavyy - Raging Tide on

Comments

• Facerolled - Raging Tide
    Facerolled - Raging Tide Posts: 334 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Doesn't really matter. Both magic and physical classes can one shot archer while full buffed regardless of necklace. It's just about the damage that you encounter the most and are threatened by the most I suppose.

You can say m.def is useless because AA with 20k m.def gets owned once wizard sparks, but then again barbs also get critted for 25k by assassins.

Both are just as useless or useful depending on situation. Going for one or the other will not suddenly increase your KDR ten fold, but having m.def in say TW may help more than p.def, while having p.def may be more beneficial in NW.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    boogiepanda | Demon Archer || Facerolled | Demon Wizard

tinyurl.com/PWIArcherWizardPvP
  • Ignathas - Sanctuary
    Ignathas - Sanctuary Posts: 506 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    had same qusetion, but ill make pdef first and then 2nd set for mdef and use them depending on opponents
  • _JlN_ - Heavens Tear
    _JlN_ - Heavens Tear Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I am wondering about the same thing and posted in the assassin area.
    http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1559961
    Sakubatou had a good point regarding the necklaces.
  • skaitavia
    skaitavia Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    It is a puzzling question, as r9r2 defenses for LA focuses more on magical defense than physical. On top of that, a lot of physical-hitting classes would miss due to archers having very high evasion with their buff and dex bonuses.

And then you can argue that there are physical attacks that have 100% accuracy, so the evasion argument becomes less effective.

Personally I'm going magic due to that magic attacks never miss, as well as a G14/G15 p def neck for the situations I'd need a physical defense cube necklace.
  • BerserkBeast - Sanctuary
    BerserkBeast - Sanctuary Posts: 1,417 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Why not just use a Elemental Belt and Physical Necklace ? b:embarrass
    The only way to beat a troll is....to troll him back b:angry
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Well, I feel like I only die when I am purged or ganked.
    When you're purged I dont think your equipment defense contributes as much as your HP / defense levels. Also ganking is usually a mix of classes so it doesn't matter as much.

Ultimately I agree with boogie and don't think the choice is all that significant.

Still with the rise of purify spell and seeker's zerk crit metal BS, I can definitely see caster classes being more prevalent in PVP so maybe mres is the way to go. My server up to now has been dominated by archers so I've been fine with a phys neck.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • skaitavia
    skaitavia Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Why not just use a Elemental Belt and Physical Necklace ? b:embarrass

Because the R9r2 belt gives 850 P def and 1150 M def by itself for LA classes, which acts as both a m and p def based belt.

What's left is deciding what necklace to get.
  • BerserkBeast - Sanctuary
    BerserkBeast - Sanctuary Posts: 1,417 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Skaitavia wrote: »
    Because the R9r2 belt gives 850 P def and 1150 M def by itself for LA classes, which acts as both a m and p def based belt.

What's left is deciding what necklace to get.

That only applies to Rank 9+ Players.
    The only way to beat a troll is....to troll him back b:angry
    edited February 2013
    That only applies to Rank 9+ Players.

Yeah, it's almost as if that was the topic of this thread.
    Hello my fellow archers,
    A question that has plagued the mind of many -
    Which is better for a rank 9 second recast archer - an elemental or a physical cube neck?

I can see how you missed that though since it is buried in the first sentence of the first post.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
  • Bhavyy - Raging Tide
    Bhavyy - Raging Tide Posts: 1,083 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The other thing also skai is that you can get 3 physical defense buffs stacking (cleric bm and one from a pot or pill or base buff) and only one mag def buff (cleric).
    Although I never really thought about evasion. I find it too unreliable even with 700+ dex and condor bms and sins are still able to hit through it which is just **** lol.
    But yeah thanks guys, I think I'll make a g15 magic one and see which I like better, I could always sell it if I don't like it or need it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    youtube.com/bhavenmurji
    pwcalc.com/65816fd7725681e1
  • Aeroboi - Heavens Tear
    Aeroboi - Heavens Tear Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    i can tell you now that neither offer that much change. i have both and the % of resistances only varys a few.

the comments on LA having more Mdef is due to balance. there is more Pdef buffs then Mdef. you tend to break pretty much even. before rings or neck/belt and addons.

i can tell you that i did some damage testings(wizzy hitting me) switching my Necks had no noticable difference.

But i did think by using a Sky cover +12, a cube Neck stage 3+12, +12 and fully jaded gear i could Reduce caster damage enough, so a gush would hit less then 5k. however with StageR9, i dont think its possible. ever caster seems to crit on me now for 10k

and ever stage3R9 archer seems to crit everytime for over 5k.....

here is a table i made using info i found on PWI forums. i hope you find it useful in deciding
    Fourmal used = physical reduction% = physical defense / ( ( 40 * attacker level ) + physical defense - 25 )
    so here is a list i hope you all find helpful (veriable due to attacker level(all data related to 100-105))
    42 Defence = 1%
    1k Defence = 19-20%
    2K defence = 32-33%
    3k Defence =41-42%
    4kDef = 48-50%
    5k = 44-45%
    6k=58-60%
    7k=62-63%
    8k=65-66%
    9k=68-69%
    10k= 70-71%<Aeros Mdef
    11k=72-73%
    12k=74-75%<Aeros Pdef
    13k=75-76%
    14k=77% <endgame for LA(balanced)
    15k=78-79%
    16k=79-80% <+10 R9 wizzys
    17k=80-81%
    18k=81%
    19k=81-82%
    20k=82-83%
    21k=83-84%
    22k=84%
    25k= 85-86%<cata barb tiger form?
    27k=86-87%
    30k87-88%
    34k=89%<BM Marrowed, Pdef
    37k= 89-90%
    37,555=90% <at this point def is capped
    edited February 2013
    I don't really like looking at % reduction as it can be pretty misleading with high values.
    An 85% reduction on your chart sounds pretty close to a 90% reduction but for every 3 damage the first one takes the second one takes only 2. That's equivalent to +50% HP.

I usually like to see the effect on survival which is 1/( 1- %reduction).

Also where do you get that %reduction is capped at 90%? I haven't heard that before.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Aeroboi - Heavens Tear
    Aeroboi - Heavens Tear Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    90% reduction is the displayed Cap. even with GM gear it will only display 90%.

from an attacker of level 105(game level cap) 37,555 is the exact number required to still have a 90% reduction. having more would work vs mobs of higher level, but that is beside the point since we are refering to PK.

sure % are misleading. Archers or LA based cant really stack enough of either Defence. but look at it this way.

if you have 80% reduction and where able to push it to 85%, you just reduced damage by 25% (ofc missing many factors such as def or attack levels). as your def grows higher each Percent is more affective, given that that the mount of Def required for every % is large.
  • Enemy - Raging Tide
    Enemy - Raging Tide Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Get a physical cube neck! Us wizards don't hurt! b:chuckle need more defense against those barb armageddons!