Barb Build

IShotMyself - Lost City
IShotMyself - Lost City Posts: 6 Arc User
edited March 2013 in Barbarian
I'm trying to decide how I should build my barb...

Right now I'm leveling like this:

Even: 2str 2vit 1dex

Odd: 3str 1vit 1dex.

(5str 3vit 2dex every 2 levels)

Comments???

Any help will be very much appreciated. It's been 3+ years since I played a barb, and even that guy wasn't a good build, **** was all over the place...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by IShotMyself - Lost City on

Comments

• tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Gear goals, play style, current needs, future plans?

Keep in mind that:

Devour's aggro is now affected by your HP
    You can gain 225% acc by only sacrificing 5% of your HP using Blood Bath (if sage)
    Barbs aren't needed (but often desired) as tanks but excel at mob pulls making their DD a value to squads
    They incorporated a bleed on 2 BH100 bosses that bases it's dmg on your HP

It appears that the devs are going in the direction of favoring tank or vit barbs but I still like some extra Str.
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • IShotMyself - Lost City
    edited January 2013
    I'm really going with the build I posted, mostly because, I feel it would offer enough str to be a good DD and enough vit to be able to tank "properly" though I know unless you completely **** up the build, you should never lack HP or def to do so.

I really just want to be able to hit "decently" without having to sacrifice the HP.

Since I'm not one of those "rich" players, I can't always bother with high refines + shards fo HP.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BloodTyrant - Raging Tide
    BloodTyrant - Raging Tide Posts: 581 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    stick with all the 3 guides we have about barbs "tutorial and builds". they might have everything u're looking for...
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    Miugre - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I'm really going with the build I posted, mostly because, I feel it would offer enough str to be a good DD and enough vit to be able to tank "properly" though I know unless you completely **** up the build, you should never lack HP or def to do so.

I really just want to be able to hit "decently" without having to sacrifice the HP.

Since I'm not one of those "rich" players, I can't always bother with high refines + shards fo HP.
    If you're building on a budget I would certainly err on the side of Vit, but it's certainly up to you. :)

It also depends on what HP you'd like to have as a goal. For most endgame instances, IMO you want at least 15k HP to tank comfortably... ideally 20k. For reference, my barb's build. Pwcalc is a little stupid with a few of the numbers but it's generally correct. It's a pure vit build with 20k HP using TT99 armor (and a few other HP-focused gears). To buy this gear straight-up, minus shards/refines would probably cost you:
    5-10m for the weapon
    50-70m for all four armors, depending on how patient you are with buying the gold mats
    5-6m for the helmet (to buy the required quest items)
    100k for the cape (hooray for being a cheapass but hey, it works)
    50m for the necklace, but you could easily replace it with Swindler's Necklace for closer to 10m
    Belt is free (OHT belt)
    15m for both rings
    Tome is 13-14m

If that's too much for your budget you could probably get some mileage out of TT90 green armor in the meantime, pare down the tome etc... just play around with it and see what works for you. :P I also have sapphires in his main four armors, so if you use citrines there like many barbs you could probably hit your goal easier than I did.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes, I'm still a stubborn holdout in favor of the old game. Haters gonna hate. ;]

Other Active Characters:
    LigerKing (Barb), Girasole (BM), Shamsheer (Sin), ArborSoul (Mystic).
  • _Mg_Zr - Heavens Tear
    _Mg_Zr - Heavens Tear Posts: 562 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    15k hp is more than enough to tank anything pve related.
    You could achieve this in TT90 (mountcrasher) but healers would prefer a barb with more hp and defenses.
    Thanks to nation wars nirvana would be a viable cheap armour and weapon path. I think that nirvana armour requires 252 str and the wep 280 (im not completly sure) and eiter 50-60 dex for the wep/armour.
    That leaves you with roughly 150 points to put into vit if you desire.
    As for your current build it does seem fine for a mix of hp and attack.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    _Mg_Zr - level 100 sage Barb / level 101 demon r9 aps barb on Harshlands
    Mg_Zr - level 100 demon Psychic
    _mg_zr_ - level 100 demon Blademaster
    |\/|erlin_ 7x Wizard
    Makaveli_ - 8x Harshlands sin
    edited February 2013
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IShotMyself - Lost City View Post

If you're building on a budget I would certainly err on the side of Vit, but it's certainly up to you. :)

It also depends on what HP you'd like to have as a goal. For most endgame instances, IMO you want at least 15k HP to tank comfortably... ideally 20k. For reference, my barb's build. Pwcalc is a little stupid with a few of the numbers but it's generally correct. It's a pure vit build with 20k HP using TT99 armor (and a few other HP-focused gears). To buy this gear straight-up, minus shards/refines would probably cost you:
    5-10m for the weapon
    50-70m for all four armors, depending on how patient you are with buying the gold mats
    5-6m for the helmet (to buy the required quest items)
    100k for the cape (hooray for being a cheapass but hey, it works)
    50m for the necklace, but you could easily replace it with Swindler's Necklace for closer to 10m
    Belt is free (OHT belt)
    15m for both rings
    Tome is 13-14m

If that's too much for your budget you could probably get some mileage out of TT90 green armor in the meantime, pare down the tome etc... just play around with it and see what works for you. :P I also have sapphires in his main four armors, so if you use citrines there like many barbs you could probably hit your goal easier than I did.

Haha, I don't even have TT99 on my BM yet. So it'd be a really long time before my barb could even begin to get some of those gears. But still that's a nice build, which would be quite effective IMO.

I'd eventually work to something similar but not quite there since I enjoy DD capabilities over the more tanky path.

15k hp is more than enough to tank anything pve related.
    You could achieve this in TT90 (mountcrasher) but healers would prefer a barb with more hp and defenses.
    Thanks to nation wars nirvana would be a viable cheap armour and weapon path. I think that nirvana armour requires 252 str and the wep 280 (im not completly sure) and eiter 50-60 dex for the wep/armour.
    That leaves you with roughly 150 points to put into vit if you desire.
    As for your current build it does seem fine for a mix of hp and attack.

I am currently planning to max my Dex at 60. Then switching my build to 3 strength, 2 vit. every level.

Thanks for answering my question and helping me out. Every little bit is helpful. :) As I go along I may decide I do need the extra bit, and get a little weird with my gears/build as I usually do.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Joe - Momaganon
    Joe - Momaganon Posts: 225 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Haha, I don't even have TT99 on my BM yet. So it'd be a really long time before my barb could even begin to get some of those gears. But still that's a nice build, which would be quite effective IMO.

I'd eventually work to something similar but not quite there since I enjoy DD capabilities over the more tanky path.

I am currently planning to max my Dex at 60. Then switching my build to 3 strength, 2 vit. every level.

Thanks for answering my question and helping me out. Every little bit is helpful. :) As I go along I may decide I do need the extra bit, and get a little weird with my gears/build as I usually do.

If You're going pure PvE then you got no other coice then to get yourself the morai g15 gears. Gears in total are ~30kk and the weapon is another ~18kk and this stuff is on par with at least the first r9 if you stick to PvE, even the base stats are just slightly worse then tt99 but they got better addons. Got a sage babr with just full morai +4 and misty forest rings and just the random cheap as hell mold stuff and he got alrdy nearly 20k HP in tiger form while having lots of Mob Def and Attack levels.

For PvE I would always Suggest full morai gear. Just takes some weeks doing daily quests, but that should be very doable. Morai G15 is >>>>> TT99 and PvE wise even > Nirvana 2nd.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Got at least one alt of any class above level 100.
    All decently geared and skilled (: .
    And the most important thing is: They are all fun to play ^.^ .
    b:laugh
  • Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    Sakubatou - Sanctuary Posts: 4,001 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    If You're going pure PvE then you got no other coice then to get yourself the morai g15 gears. Gears in total are ~30kk and the weapon is another ~18kk and this stuff is on par with at least the first r9 if you stick to PvE, even the base stats are just slightly worse then tt99 but they got better addons. Got a sage babr with just full morai +4 and misty forest rings and just the random cheap as hell mold stuff and he got alrdy nearly 20k HP in tiger form while having lots of Mob Def and Attack levels.

For PvE I would always Suggest full morai gear. Just takes some weeks doing daily quests, but that should be very doable. Morai G15 is >>>>> TT99 and PvE wise even > Nirvana 2nd.

Using the Morai axes myself (17.3m cost) on my barb. They're about 90% the damage of r9 axes for 1% the price. The rest of the gear I'm sharing with my bm and seeker and so I wanted Lunar/TT/vana.

Only thing I kick myself about the Morai axes is they have no upgrade and don't account stash so when you are ready to move to the next level thats a few months of Morai quests and 17.3m down the drain.

Also, I may be wrong but doesn't the Morai set refine for slightly lower? All in all it balances out but I think because of the built in warding levels they made it slightly lower. For instance if +3 gives 100 hp and the gear has 5 defense levels thats "really" like it gets 105 hp, so instead they gave it 96 hp. I may be wrong and it really doesn't matter except for looks (cleric looking and seeing a 20k barb and not realizing thats 20k and 30 warding levels) and things like Armageddon or ToP. Also gotta wonder about Morai gear Soul Force values with so many of the knew skills being SF based. I guess for now can assume they're equal.

To the OP: as Mg Zr said, 15k is "enough" for anything in game. 20k is enough and you're easier to heal. 25k is enough and you get to be lazy about surviving. That's all accomplishable no matter what build you chose. When you look at endgame refines the hp difference between a 3 vit barb and a nearly 200 vit barb is only 10-15% hp. Very little difference really and they're both overkill for PvE anyways. What is harder for barbs to accomplish is aggro. A tank needs hp, sure, but they're not the tank if they can't keep aggro so I encourage people to lean more towards dd builds like high str, higher dex, or aps barbs so they don't become just buff monkeys and start to begrudge their class. You'll even notice an increase in survivability when you're killing things faster so taking less damage, or the cleric doesn't have to split heals between you and a dd. Joe will agree the best survival build in PvE is actually aps barbs because we get about 4 times the heals from bloodpaint than a cleric gives us, we always have chi for things like invoke, sunder, and triple spark resisting big attacks or purges. So vit=/=more survival, and tank=most hp.

Just something to consider.
    Seven 100+ characters leveled the hard way. Free to play. Mystic, Psychic, and Wizard left to level. b:victory
  • Beleni - Dreamweaver
    Beleni - Dreamweaver Posts: 383 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The stickys have most of the barbarian builds in there.

vit-
    lots of vit - 250 vit + less damage output and low accuracy and critical rate, higher HP

Str-
    Lots of Str - Barbs can hit up to 800 Str now I believe, average hp low accuracy, critical rate.

Dex
    This build -200 Dex -> gives high accuracy and decent evasion + critical rates. Lower Hp and less damage then pure vit/Str barb.

Hybrid - Mix of all builds

if this is your 1st barb, would stick to vit/ str as others would require more practise an patience to pull off..

the curve ball
    >>>

Since new tomes have been released, has freed up some possibilities for new builds.
    Such as an g16 AA barb from 30 magic base.

http://pwcalc.com/09f7ef8448d65af9

could see this build being very sort for in TW / NW
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    Miugre - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Since new tomes have been released, has freed up some possibilities for new builds.
    Such as an g16 AA barb from 30 magic base.

http://pwcalc.com/09f7ef8448d65af9

could see this build being very sort for in TW / NW
    LUAD with 45 mag... o.o I assume that's a stand-in for Dominance/Emperor? Even so... that + 24 mag each on the cape and hat added to 45 from the tome and the base 30 < 153. You've got those AA armors providing their own magic stats there. You'd need to move another 30 Str into Mag to make it work. I lol'd regardless though. :P

This is also assuming our budget-minded OP can afford Dominance/Emperor. XD

I just switched my build into g15 Morai and I lost almost 1.5k HP. I had to roll three vit/hp bonuses on the wep to exceed my current build. :P

Not a huge difference I know, and I'd encourage anyone to go g15 Morai, but never say "there's no other choice."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes, I'm still a stubborn holdout in favor of the old game. Haters gonna hate. ;]

Other Active Characters:
    LigerKing (Barb), Girasole (BM), Shamsheer (Sin), ArborSoul (Mystic).
    edited February 2013
    again thanks for all the replies and the help.

No this isn't my first barb but as I menitoned before, my first barb wasn't that much of a "success."

Anyway, I will be going with a hybrid build, leaning more towards strength than vit or dex, since I can always get more accuracy from Blood Bath, Misty Forest Rings, SoF:Chaos, etc.

I had gone to the guides before even starting this thread and they didn't really help me aside from the necessary skills.

Anyway, this has been alot more helpful than the guides. Thanks
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Cactubolo - Lost City
    Cactubolo - Lost City Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    no matter what build u use twohandedaoe will destroy u