Options
    What do you mean by defensive skills?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

b:dirty "I **** rainbows and love everyone"-Longknife b:cute
  • BanMePls - Heavens Tear
    BanMePls - Heavens Tear Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Options
    If y0u're asking which 0f the 2 is m0st effective defensively at end game, I w0uld say Mystic.
  • Tide_Surfer - Archosaur
    Tide_Surfer - Archosaur Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Mystic is good for heals and protecting itself, but a wizard is good for avoiding damage in the first place, elemental damage anyway.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tide_Surfer: "I feel SPESHALL *says like a lil kid*"
    Veneir: "Seashell? :3"
    Tide_Surfer: "Yes Veny, yes. A speshall seashell."
  • Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands
    Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands Posts: 7,231 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Options
    The wizz have a bit a better p.def, but the mystic have the best elemental def for water and wood without sacrifice the p.def.

I think since the mystic is more a support class and wizz a DD class, mystic have more skills to help to survive.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Sylvae - Sanctuary
    Sylvae - Sanctuary Posts: 1,018 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Options
    It depends.

Over-all wizard wins easy. No just because of p.def, but because of their skills and the purify proc.

As long as melee are dumb enough to chase a wizzie who distance shrinks or purify procs, they will have better survivability over a mystic. Simply because the attackers will chase in a line; which perfectly sets them up for the Phoenix shot. Wizzies can use their offense as a defense bolster when they get easy shots with all their attackers lined up like that. Add in a stunning area effect AoE, and the mystic ability to tank other mystics or veno kinda sucks; especially since venos would purge anyways.

Most of the people claiming mystic over wizzie are pve healers anyways. That should be a good measuring stick for what their opinion is worth.
  • klys
    klys Posts: 283 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Options
    uh, mystics have more control skills and have heals soooooo ..yea
  • MageFizban - Lost City
    MageFizban - Lost City Posts: 1,158 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Options
    klys wrote: »
    uh, mystics have more control skills and have heals soooooo ..yea

wiz have heals! b:angry
    edited February 2013
    Options
    I do have to say wizzies, they do have extra fire/water/earth/physical defence.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2013
    Options
    I do have to say wizzies, they do have extra fire/water/earth/physical defence.

Not in the same time. While Mystic have the p.def, water and wood without sacrifice the other.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

edited February 2013
    Options
    Not in the same time. While Mystic have the p.def, water and wood without sacrifice the other.

They both have their pro's and con's but imo, wizards come off on top :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Aeliah - Dreamweaver
    Aeliah - Dreamweaver Posts: 784 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Options
    They both play defensively but in different ways.

There is absolutely no question that a mystic can tank far far more damage than a wiz, assuming equal gears.

A wizard, on the other hand, has a better ability to avoid taking the damage in the first place, if they use their ports.

Now, if I'm fighting a wizard, I get up nice and close, then immobilize them before beginning my attack. Porting won't get them out of my attack range, though it does get them out of range of a couple of my low-range skills like sirens kiss, and my aoe healing debuff.

A mystic, on the other hand, is much more difficult for me to kill. While they won't be porting away, they can instantly heal almost their full hp bar (I am assuming gear like to my own). Renders my healing debuffs almost useless... only way for me to kill a mystic is to get a successful seal on elven boon when their charm is ticked near half hp, then a crit on the skill that follows. Preferably the elven boon should crit as well. If I don't get that to work, that mystic is not gonna die.

So, who is more defensive? From my perspective, the mystic. From a melee user's perspective, the wizard may be more difficult. Kiting damage, and tanking damage, are both defensive playstyles. There is no one right answer here I believe.

Cheers,

Aeliah
    YOUTUBE CHANNEL:
    youtube.com/user/csquaredcsquared

CLERIC PV GUIDE (complete):
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1531411

CLERIC PK GUIDE (Incomplete):
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=18027931
  • OontzOontz - Dreamweaver
    OontzOontz - Dreamweaver Posts: 782 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Mystic. Pet Buffs, pet lowering your attack, heals that increase their hp, attack that decreases your hp, pvp knockback, heals, various seals, antistun, mini bb buff, attack that goes through def skills/levels, and guaranteed crits.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Regenbogen - Lost City
    Regenbogen - Lost City Posts: 1,559 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Options
    best defense is a powerful offense: wizard b:bye
    i am waiting for you my little flagcarriers b:kiss
  • ApocaIypto - Dreamweaver
    ApocaIypto - Dreamweaver Posts: 585 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Options
    all casters have some sort of defensive abilities at end game
  • thumbs
    thumbs Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Options
    best defense is a powerful offense: wizard b:bye

For dd: I'd much prefer mystic, veno, or cleric. People were saying in the first year of this game that the devs hate wiz's. They may have changed devs, but I think it still holds true. I have no clue why people think they're great offensively.
  • aretsuku
    aretsuku Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Options
    wow now I'm really confused...this is a split battle no clear winner lol
  • krisnda
    krisnda Posts: 4,655 Community Moderator
    edited February 2013
    Options
    If y0u're asking which 0f the 2 is m0st effective defensively at end game, I w0uld say Mystic.

I would have to agree with this.
  • BerserkBeast - Sanctuary
    BerserkBeast - Sanctuary Posts: 1,417 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Options
    *whispers* CLERIC! *runs*
    The only way to beat a troll is....to troll him back b:angry
  • Kremia - Lost City
    Kremia - Lost City Posts: 507 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Options
    It depends.

Over-all wizard wins easy. No just because of p.def, but because of their skills and the purify proc.

R9 3rd Mystic's wand has purify proc too
    yay for mystics
    b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2013
    Options
    *whispers* CLERIC! *runs*

Not in the choice. xD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Reliea - Sanctuary
    Reliea - Sanctuary Posts: 685 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Options
    I've experienced pvp as a mystic, and even in my slightly sub-par gear get up I'm still pretty tough to kill.
    I have not experienced pvp as a wiz, but vs. a wiz I find them easier to kill than mystics.
    So my vote is for Mystic as the most defensive of the two classes.
  • Lady_Crash - Lost City
    Lady_Crash - Lost City Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Options

Actually wiz dont have to sacri any def to get another up, the Elemental shields dont reduce any defense to get another up, its just a single boost for X defense. so mystic have verdant shell that increase water/wood and phy def, but wiz still have fire and earth and phy skills avoiding the water skills to dd a mystic (only using them for slow/frezze). b:laugh
  • Chigenkaiona - Dreamweaver
    Chigenkaiona - Dreamweaver Posts: 756 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Options
    They both have their pro's and con's but imo, wizards come off on top :)

How exactly do wizards>psys if(example: +12 both)? Psy would be silencing and SoV'ing the wizard to death due to max SF...and your arcanes so you should more then be able to handle their magic hits, unless they nuked you with a Blade Tempest.
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Actually wiz dont have to sacri any def to get another up, the Elemental shields dont reduce any defense to get another up, its just a single boost for X defense. so mystic have verdant shell that increase water/wood and phy def, but wiz still have fire and earth and phy skills avoiding the water skills to dd a mystic (only using them for slow/frezze). b:laugh

If you don't use stone barrier you don't have your bonus p.def and if you don't use it vs a mystic than go play on a PVE server, cause you will get 1-2 shot. (well even with it actually xD)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• ArmaniEx - Harshlands
    ArmaniEx - Harshlands Posts: 191 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Wizz vs psy , run all Psys cd, , sutra pot, genie spark pyro and will of phe bye bye +12 psy...the seal is easy to evade.

Wizz is better, arcane def, demon leap, and way higher Pdef. So what if you get purged with +12 ornaments you'll have the same Pdef as a purged mystic (same gear). Then what do you do? Assuming you don't get chained crit by that broken class that pushes 70% crit by clicking quick shot you'll be fine if you move away or pop a pot to allow you to rebuff...rebuffed GG demon shell back in action.
  • Narcillatrix - Dreamweaver
    Narcillatrix - Dreamweaver Posts: 461 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Options
    How exactly do wizards>psys if(example: +12 both)? Psy would be silencing and SoV'ing the wizard to death due to max SF...and your arcanes so you should more then be able to handle their magic hits, unless they nuked you with a Blade Tempest.

I think the discussion is about comparing mystics and wizards, I don't believe psys are a part of this comparison.....

I myself haven't pk'd with either a mystic or wizard, so I don't have a clear idea of which is better defensive wise. They both have their own pros and cons, like has been said before. Just really depends on which one you enjoy to play more.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • T_i_m - Dreamweaver
    T_i_m - Dreamweaver Posts: 200 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Options
    It's my experience that mystics are slightly tankier than wizzies. The tankiness comes at a price: they must put almost everything into healing themselves. Once they go on offense, it's byebye mystic. A wiz on the other hand has some nice, mostly passive, defenses and can focus on attacking. Another thing to consider is wizzies are the only toon that can put every single elemental immunity on their genie (specifically earth immunity).
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Wizz is better, arcane def, demon leap, and way higher Pdef. So what if you get purged with +12 ornaments you'll have the same Pdef as a purged mystic (same gear). Then what do you do? Assuming you don't get chained crit by that broken class that pushes 70% crit by clicking quick shot you'll be fine if you move away or pop a pot to allow you to rebuff...rebuffed GG demon shell back in action.

I love how people speak like mystic cannot use pots as well, mystic can use pots too ijs it's not exclusive to wizz and our buff don't have 2 hours cd we can rebuff too ijs.

Verdant Blessing cannot be purge what about that?

Mystic can chain stun/paralyze a target, can wizz do that?

Wizz hurt more yes, but mystic can silence, sleep, stun, paralyze non stop.

Wizz AOE hit hard, but the chan is so slow that everyone see it come and have time to go away, while mystic AOE hurt less, but is so fast that people don't have time to get away and our AOE silence/paralyze.

Wizz AOE have a long cd and need a lot of chi while mystic have short cd and chi needed, for defense I think it's better to be able to AOE silence/paralyze/sleep.

Mystic don't have IH, but we have Falling petal, Salvation leech, Gaia's blessing, BitC, etc... yup wizz have one healing skill with a freaking long chan.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]