Whats up with the name resitrctions in every PWE game.

FissureX - Lost City
FissureX - Lost City Posts: 39 Arc User
edited February 2013 in General Discussion
It gets annoying that i can't put Numbers, Symbols, spaces, etc into my characters names. Makes picking a name pretty hard.
Post edited by FissureX - Lost City on

Comments

• Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands
    Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands Posts: 7,231 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Some people cheat with the capital i to replace the L, but majority of the time my problem is the name I want is already taken. D=
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

b:dirty "I **** rainbows and love everyone"-Longknife b:cute
  • Buff_me - Harshlands
    Buff_me - Harshlands Posts: 492 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Its about International version, as much as I know.

PWR has an ability to put symbols into char's name.
    Achieved R9 before it was mainstream.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    103 Demon R9 assassin - retired.
    Quit.
  • Shardik - Lost City
    Shardik - Lost City Posts: 625 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Well allowing more characthers in names would be a hell of a pain in the rump to manage in the Database TT_TT. b:sad

SQL injections and the like are more likely if that wasn't like it is.

Except when it is not.

Besides, Reasons. That's why.b:chuckleb:chuckle
  • ickbotcrane
    ickbotcrane Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    As a side note, i'd say the biggest issue with names limitations is they havent deleted the old names people havent used in 2-3+ years...

Even if they just cleared all the names from people pre-30 who havent played in over a year they'd clear a large ammount from the database. Expanding it higher would only be better.
  • Shardik - Lost City
    edited February 2013
    12 characters

Then we have :

26x26x26x26x26x26x26x26x26x26x26x26

That is : 95.428.956.661.682.176 Possible Combinations of names :3 b:shocked

Note that i left out the Others chars people use , like "//" and those Stars i keep seeing i think, and no numbers and special chars :3

So yeah, with the fact that there were/are less than 1.800.000 people playing this game , i don't think they ever would be cleaning the database for like 40.000 used names hehehe

Man , that number is big. b:chuckle

Of course, i'm assuming names like this are "names" XD like : "aaaaaaaaaaab"

**** bot names >_>
  • Xainou - Sanctuary
    Xainou - Sanctuary Posts: 5,369 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    So we can have names like ***5334A$$a$$!/\/oooO833* ...?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Licensed tail brusher of ƙɑƙʊɱɑʊ ~ only the fluffiest
    Outrunning centaurs since 2012~
  • soundslegit
    soundslegit Posts: 472 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    If they let you use non-letters half the players would be named b( . )( . )bs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ponyduck
    ponyduck Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Kinda on-topic:

I found the best place to come up with names is a world atlas, lol.

Get a world atlas & turn to the index. All the names of towns & cities
    all over the world--you can go crazy trying to decide which you like
    best, lol. Most of my chars' names were chosen this way.

And a definite NO to adding #'s & symbols to names. It's bad enough
    with all the X's and /// we currently have. I know I'll be stepping on
    a lot of toes with this, but I always think it denotes a lack of
    imagination/originality when a char's name has all those X's, etc., in it.
    The only thing worse is the pervy names.
  • Nadel - Dreamweaver
    Nadel - Dreamweaver Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    ponyduck wrote: »
    Kinda on-topic:

I agree! If a name I want is taken I never just add xX's or the like, I pick a different name.

Though the ability to use spaces would be nice for giving a toon a first and last name, or middle name or whatever.
  • Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    Mayfly - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,094 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    12 characters

Then we have :

26x26x26x26x26x26x26x26x26x26x26x26

That is : 95.428.956.661.682.176 Possible Combinations of names :3 b:shocked

And that's way low, because names are case sensitive, so (not counting allowed special characters) you have 52^12 possible combinations, or almost 391x10^18.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Weekly Japanese/English bilingual webcomic
    thejapanesepage.com/ebooks/yuki_no_monogatari_manga
  • PotatoHeadQR - Dreamweaver
    PotatoHeadQR - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,507 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Now, you may not see it but this is a serious issue. You see, we have nearly exhausted all the possible variations of "Assasin". How are the new players going to name their sins? We cannot possibly demand them to have Tolkien's imagination!

/sarcasm

Seriously though, even the special symbols are too much. See it as an idiot-safe mechanism: nobody is going to reinvite your /\N\M/NIl char before your timer expires
    you only purge once #yopo
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    Miugre - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Kinda on-topic:

Now, you may not see it but this is a serious issue. You see, we have nearly exhausted all the possible variations of "Assasin". How are the new players going to name their sins? We cannot possibly demand them to have Tolkien's imagination!

/sarcasm
    It's not hard to find at least a somewhat original name for your character. I've drawn names from all kinds of sources - items from other games, foreign translations of words, etc... and a few I've pulled out of my *** (my barb was originally a non-serious / joke char, for instance, but then I got him to endgame anyway). We don't all have to be Tolkien, but I think we owe it to the people we play with to dedicate more than two minutes to naming your character.

That, and the fact that name originality and general player intelligence coorelate very strongly, in my experience. I can tell you that XxSINNERxX isn't getting into my squad unless he's the only one who replied. :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes, I'm still a stubborn holdout in favor of the old game. Haters gonna hate. ;]

Other Active Characters:
    LigerKing (Barb), Girasole (BM), Shamsheer (Sin), ArborSoul (Mystic).
  • Niriam - Dreamweaver
    Niriam - Dreamweaver Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Maybe OP should consider actual names for his characters, rather than screennames...
  • Ridelia - Momaganon
    Ridelia - Momaganon Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I never had any problem with name choosing - I just make a name myself. A few random letters that might have a meaning or no then a "lia", "ria", , "mia","era", "er" at end: Ridelia, Dieria, Blooria, Feriera, Trimia, Elearia, Storier, Ulier <- its really not that hard. No of my chars ever needed more than 2 tries when choosing a name.
  • Annalyse - Heavens Tear
    Annalyse - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,618 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Kinda on-topic:

+1

I personally refuse to use any kind of symbols in my name if what I want is taken. I'd rather make up something else than mar it with \\\\ or oOo.
    And that's way low, because names are case sensitive, so (not counting allowed special characters) you have 52^12 possible combinations, or almost 391x10^18.

You can't make the same name as someone else by simply substituting a capital letter. I have tried every variation on my name and others' names to prove this and it does not work. So they are not case sensitive.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Annalyse (veno) - Melosa (cleric) - Glynneth (archer) - Pickerel (sin)
    Florafang (wiz) - RubixCube (barb) - Laravell (psy) - Diviah (Mystic)
    Torchwood (BM) - Sataea (Seeker) - Wystera (Sin) - Allissere (SB)

Looking for a mature faction on HT? pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=760842
  • Elenacostel - Heavens Tear
    Elenacostel - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,822 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I wish the Romanians would stop asking me if I'm Romanian.
  • Sagek - Sanctuary
    Sagek - Sanctuary Posts: 1,156 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I wish the Romanians would stop asking me if I'm Romanian.

Wait... you mean you're not?
  • SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited February 2013
    It gets annoying that i can't put Numbers, Symbols, spaces, etc into my characters names. Makes picking a name pretty hard.
    Partly it has to do with standard database character limitations. In the case of most PVE games, the ancient Angelica game engine uses a very limited proprietary database that even further limits the possibilities.

I have well over 20 toons from working on my guides and have never had much trouble coming up with a unique name that isn't taken. I'm not even using the stupid add-on characters that many use because they have no imagination or originality.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Shardik - Lost City
    edited February 2013

Holy fiddlesticks.

I forgot about that XD

b:chuckle

Then the Name pool is WAY bigger than i thought b:shocked

Le gasp*

But i thought names were not case sensitive U__U
  • skaitavia
    skaitavia Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    It would be great to have a generic name in PWI, like "Bob".

b:laugh

But to be on topic, I found using underscores (_) a useful get-around to a name. For example, Skai was taken when I was making my assassin on RT, so I went with _Skai_.

It's not as pretty, but it works.
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    Miugre - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Regarding the number possible names available: sure, it's technically a huge pool, but most of the names available in that pool won't be used anyway, because it's assuming all possible letter combinations that can ever exist.

So I guess the question is - how many chars do you plan to make that are named "bzxtnhwgsd" or the like? :P

Even so... originality isn't that hard, folks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes, I'm still a stubborn holdout in favor of the old game. Haters gonna hate. ;]

Other Active Characters:
    LigerKing (Barb), Girasole (BM), Shamsheer (Sin), ArborSoul (Mystic).
  • Star_Prism - Archosaur
    Star_Prism - Archosaur Posts: 216 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Kinda on-topic:

Most of my names came from the "The Oxford's Companion to World Mythology" You can find some very pretty as well as interesting names from different mythologies.
    Though the ability to use spaces would be nice for giving a toon a first and last name, or middle name or whatever.

Just use an underscore; that's what I do when I want to make a space, works the same.

I never had any problem with name choosing - I just make a name myself. A few random letters that might have a meaning or no then a "lia", "ria", , "mia","era", "er" at end: Ridelia, Dieria, Blooria, Feriera, Trimia, Elearia, Storier, Ulier <- its really not that hard. No of my chars ever needed more than 2 tries when choosing a name.

I also do this. Also I sometimes add a 'y' in place of an 'I'. Occasionally it even makes the name look better.

I do a lot of role playing with my characters and they all have a personal story lines. Sometimes if the name is taken I just choose a different one, but other times the name is needed; so you just have to come up with creative ways to make it work.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

star-chaster.deviantart.com

star-chaster.tumblr.com
  • ShaiFatali - Lost City
    ShaiFatali - Lost City Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Well allowing more characthers in names would be a hell of a pain in the rump to manage in the Database TT_TT. b:sad

SQL injections and the like are more likely if that wasn't like it is.

Except when it is not.

Besides, Reasons. That's why.b:chuckleb:chuckle

I would hope they use stored procedures which are not vulnerable to SQL injection...
    A prima luce usque ad lucem

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

vive, pugnare aut mori.
  • ovenusarmanio
    ovenusarmanio Posts: 6,695 Community Moderator
    edited February 2013
    I just try to think of things based on that characters class or personality and then go from there. Think of mythology, history, foreign languages, etc. IT just takes a bit of creativity. None of my characters have xxs, underscores, etc in them.

kritty%20sig_zpsp0y7ttsb.png
    Thanks to MikoTenshi for the Avi and Kritty for the Signature.
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • seitori
    seitori Posts: 1,328 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I just try to think of things based on that characters class or personality and then go from there. Think of mythology, history, foreign languages, etc. IT just takes a bit of creativity. None of my characters have xxs, underscores, etc in them.

Yep, all I've ever truly done for my own characters, is use my knowledge in worming through (old extinct & Foreign languages & Mythologies) for mine aswell...

Easier to look up names in old languages in Sanskrit and lesser known dialects like parts of the old Native Americans dialects (Like Cheyenne, Sioux & etc.) for some nice sounding (Or truly bad Sss'd sounding) names for you're characters, then to play (Hit & Miss) on more widely used language bases....

"I don't know if its still up online & accessable (or not) But the old {VADA languages archives site} was an excellent site to dig around at for alternate (words/names) to choose from, for naming characters since they had all sorts of languages archives from all over the world (including street slangs & foul!?) But I haven't tried to go back to see about them for about 10 years...."b:thanks

Update: I've just checked and Sadly they've taken down their old dictionaries listings entirely (b:surrender) Its too bad to because one could find so many things to use in their listings...b:sad

Well anyway, theres still lots of online dictionary sites which deal with the more rarely used languages that are still likely out there, so that'd be one way to go for some who wanna take the time to explore the alternate naming possibilites for they're characters...b:thanks
This discussion has been closed.