FPS in enemy base during tw

Jaabg - Sanctuary
Jaabg - Sanctuary Posts: 2,256 Arc User
edited February 2013 in General Discussion
I was curious, what kind of FPS do you have when there are 120~160 players all lighting up? Can people post their machine builds, tips, tricks if they get more than 15~20 fps?

I have 1~3 fps, one client running, 2 gb ram used out of 8 gb, about 40 processes on windows 8, 6 core amd processor. HD 5770 graphics card, if that makes a difference. The net connection is yellow, green, so the ping is fine. It is the fps that is killing me.

My settings in the game are at min. In system setting all settings are min, refraction is open. In UI setting, everything is off, i tick the player button and i have effects turned one bar up from the min so i can see hf, barrage, stuns.

These settings are the bare minimum, i would assume that the pc should be able to handle it, and churn out 10+ fps?

Does everyone else experience such low fps as well? because people seem to kill me just fine as if their fps is 20+.

I am curious about what others players use and what kind of fps they get when in enemy base, would appreciate it if it is not moved to tech support. The ticket i sent about this led me no where. I have tried things like turning things off on the pc, regulating pwi to use one core, read other threads, tried their solutions, so far nothing seems to work.
Post edited by Jaabg - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Allisandre - Sanctuary
    Allisandre - Sanctuary Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Mine usually drops to about 35 or so. It's 60-ish in the rest of the world.

CPU: Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 @2.4Ghz (And it's actually running at 2.4 instead of the usual 2.33.)
    RAM: 4GB DDR2
    HD: Dual 500GB Seagates @7500rpm running RAID stripe for a real transfer rate of 120GB/s
    Video: Nvidia GeForce 8800GT 512MB Superclocked to 720/1050 (Could likely push that a little further but the capacitors on this card have a tendency to blow.)
    Ping: usually no higher than 175, but it'll spike to around 320 at times.
    I also use GameBooster to shut down everything not needed before going in. Even explorer.exe.
    Take the time to look for your answer before you post like an idiot.

There are two kinds of people in this world...
    There are those who panic,
    And then there is us.
    ~ Sarah Jane Smith
  • Kerona - Sanctuary
    Kerona - Sanctuary Posts: 1,771 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Once I had a frame.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MageFizban - Lost City
    MageFizban - Lost City Posts: 1,158 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Once I had a frame.

Ditto
  • Subtraction - Harshlands
    Subtraction - Harshlands Posts: 690 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    this thread reminds me of the time someone sent in a ticket because i was shooting toothbrush fireworks in a tw whilst we were charm-r*ping them in their base.

is your fps lower because of firework spamming?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Ewa Sonnet has the best pair of jugs ever. Nothing else compares." - Eoria.
    HE'S OVERALL KNOWLEDGE OF THE CLASS IS LEGIT.
  • OoArCsTeRoO - Sanctuary
    OoArCsTeRoO - Sanctuary Posts: 171 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Once I had a frame.

b:laugh b:laugh b:laugh b:laugh b:laugh
  • Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Once I had a frame.

Had a picture of alcoholic beverages in it, didn't it?
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level
  • Laphroaig - Raging Tide
    Laphroaig - Raging Tide Posts: 194 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Lower your overall graphics settings some and effects to basic. I do this even with a new gaming pc with a graphics card that alone cost a grand last summer.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Leave the gun. Take the cannoli" - Peter Clemenza

Level 101 kinky Demon BM and exquisite scotch sipper
  • OIdpop - Heavens Tear
    OIdpop - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,052 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    depends on this game and its memory leak errors.
    This game is like washing hair with shampoo... Rinse and repeat if desired.
    Proud owner of many mains.101 bm,101 seeker,101 demon sin,100 sage sin,101 archer,101 barb,100 cleric,100 wiz( first toon since sept 08 finally made it in 2013)newly added mystic 100 HA,72 psy.
  • CroPsy - Heavens Tear
    CroPsy - Heavens Tear Posts: 476 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    It has been said, many times, over and over again. PWI does not "care" how much Memory you have, how much Video Memory you have or how much CPU cores you have or even how powerful is your GPU.

PWI can use just one CPU core and up to ~1.7GB of memory. I never seen it using more than 5% of my GPU.
    Mine usually drops to about 35 or so. It's 60-ish in the rest of the world.

CPU: Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 @2.4Ghz (And it's actually running at 2.4 instead of the usual 2.33.)
    RAM: 4GB DDR2
    HD: Dual 500GB Seagates @7500rpm running RAID stripe for a real transfer rate of 120GB/s
    Video: Nvidia GeForce 8800GT 512MB Superclocked to 720/1050 (Could likely push that a little further but the capacitors on this card have a tendency to blow.)
    Ping: usually no higher than 175, but it'll spike to around 320 at times.
    I also use GameBooster to shut down everything not needed before going in. Even explorer.exe.

I'm kinda not believing that you have 35FPS in TW, specially in enemy base. Also 120GB/s for HDDs in RAID is impossible.
  • Allisandre - Sanctuary
    Allisandre - Sanctuary Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    It has been said, many times, over and over again. PWI does not "care" how much Memory you have, how much Video Memory you have or how much CPU cores you have or even how powerful is your GPU.

PWI can use just one CPU core and up to ~1.7GB of memory. I never seen it using more than 5% of my GPU.

I'm kinda not believing that you have 35FPS in TW, specially in enemy base. Also 120GB/s for HDDs in RAID is impossible.
    Sure do, card and system are optimized to the max. That 8800GT was one of the rare cards that was ages ahead of it's time. Like the GTX460's were when they came out. (The GTX 460, properly overclocked still out-performs some SLI rigs.) This is also with my graphics turned down, customizations off, ect. If I played in TW with normal graphic settings my FPS would be about 12. When I shoot video during TW it's about 24.

And I do stand corrected on the HD transfer rate, it's 120MB/s. The drive speeds before they got put into a RAID stripe was 67MB/s. I think it's always funny how the manufactures spout the huge bandwidth on the SATA bus, and the HD manufacturers have high claims as well, but you never see it. And then, to top it off, you can't get more than 80MB on your 1000MB network connection because the PCI bus for the network card cant go any faster, or because your hard drive is slower.
    Take the time to look for your answer before you post like an idiot.

There are two kinds of people in this world...
    There are those who panic,
    And then there is us.
    ~ Sarah Jane Smith
  • CroPsy - Heavens Tear
    edited January 2013
    Sure do, card and system are optimized to the max. That 8800GT was one of the rare cards that was ages ahead of it's time. Like the GTX460's were when they came out. (The GTX 460, properly overclocked still out-performs some SLI rigs.) This is also with my graphics turned down, customizations off, ect. If I played in TW with normal graphic settings my FPS would be about 12. When I shoot video during TW it's about 24.
    You're lucky then! :O
    I turn everything down, even my resolution is somehing like 1280x700 (I play in windowed mode), all turned off, efects turned off and still have 5FPS in enemy base b:laugh
    And I do stand corrected on the HD transfer rate, it's 120MB/s. The drive speeds before they got put into a RAID stripe was 67MB/s. I think it's always funny how the manufactures spout the huge bandwidth on the SATA bus, and the HD manufacturers have high claims as well, but you never see it. And then, to top it off, you can't get more than 80MB on your 1000MB network connection because the PCI bus for the network card cant go any faster, or because your hard drive is slower.
    Yeah, they always put huge numbers in ads, but they are not even close to real nubmers b:angry
  • bluestuffzzz
    bluestuffzzz Posts: 627 Arc User
    edited January 2013

Some fun PW client facts:
    -The client's game engine is "Angelica"
    -Angelica is used in many other PWE titles
    -The game engine uses only one core on a CPU, as it doesn't support multi-threading
    -It also renders most graphical settings via CPU and not GPU, as this specific game engine dates back to 2003/2004
    -There is a method to uncap the 2GB limitation on the elementclient.exe, but the GMs of PWE have deemed that the method is illegal, and can't be posted via forums or one will face a ban
    -The game client has many issues, including constant memory leaks
    -The memory leaks push the client to 1.7-1.9GB of RAM, and this is the literal cap of the elementclient.exe file, which then results in bug reports/a crash (not always bug reports, but a crash will be the result)
    -Angelica doesn't use most of the GPU. You can shell out a lot of cash on a good graphics card, but the end result will be no difference on the game speed/performance. I've personally tested this aspect to hell and back. I have a top tier NVIDIA card for my gaming rig, and a very cheap low tier card on another desktop. The performance was the same.
    -The original developers of the game engine were bought out by Wanmei, who now has full accesss to the source code and can make changes. Wanmei to date, has done near to nothing to advance the game engine on newer hardware.
    I host an Ecatomb mirror here: ecatomb.gdevtalk.net
    I've been actively playing since late 2008.
    Youtube: youtube.com/user/thecryotonic
  • Mingkeey - Lost City
    Mingkeey - Lost City Posts: 306 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    turn near by players off.you will have 30+ fps in base no matter how ****ty your computer is.
  • DeffyNature - Archosaur
    DeffyNature - Archosaur Posts: 1,400 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Some fun PW client facts:
    -The client's game engine is "Angelica"
    -Angelica is used in many other PWE titles
    -The game engine uses only one core on a CPU, as it doesn't support multi-threading
    -It also renders most graphical settings via CPU and not GPU, as this specific game engine dates back to 2003/2004
    -There is a method to uncap the 2GB limitation on the elementclient.exe, but the GMs of PWE have deemed that the method is illegal, and can't be posted via forums or one will face a ban
    -The game client has many issues, including constant memory leaks
    -The memory leaks push the client to 1.7-1.9GB of RAM, and this is the literal cap of the elementclient.exe file, which then results in bug reports/a crash (not always bug reports, but a crash will be the result)
    -Angelica doesn't use most of the GPU. You can shell out a lot of cash on a good graphics card, but the end result will be no difference on the game speed/performance. I've personally tested this aspect to hell and back. I have a top tier NVIDIA card for my gaming rig, and a very cheap low tier card on another desktop. The performance was the same.
    -The original developers of the game engine were bought out by Wanmei, who now has full accesss to the source code and can make changes. Wanmei to date, has done near to nothing to advance the game engine on newer hardware.

Could you, maybe, pm the way of uncapping the 2 Gb limit, please?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Jaabg - Sanctuary
    edited January 2013
    turn near by players off.you will have 30+ fps in base no matter how ****ty your computer is.

True, but as a bm, i need to see my opponents and run to them. Having that option on, mostly means i am walking around blind and get killed very quickly. I did it try it though, fps did not improve though, it went to 3~6, but still i walked frame by frame. After i am killed, the fps goes back up, and all the damage numbers come pouring in.
  • Jaabg - Sanctuary
    edited January 2013
    Hey i just met and this is crazy, but could you, maybe, pm the way of uncapping the 2 Gb limit, please?

Fixed it b:chuckle. Sorry had to be done b:surrender.
  • Tide_Surfer - Archosaur
    Tide_Surfer - Archosaur Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Once I had a frame.

sounds rather painful
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tide_Surfer: "I feel SPESHALL *says like a lil kid*"
    Veneir: "Seashell? :3"
    Tide_Surfer: "Yes Veny, yes. A speshall seashell."
  • EbonyKitsune - Heavens Tear
    EbonyKitsune - Heavens Tear Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    i find this strangely interesting. with how old the game is, they would be able to update some components to get it to run better/smoother.

i mean i'm using a little Toshiba Satellite L305D with a Radeon X1200 series and i'm getting similar performance? that is shocking (yes i've tweaked the system without touching the hardware to optimize it and run game booster) get about 5-15 FPS and i don't mind it. though in massive NW fights my system is killed (yay for 1-2 FPS!)

my current settings:
    system: overall (min), textures (max), refractions (closed)
    ui: customization checked, distance 40meters, effects max (hate hands)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    BM: pwcalc.com/51cc5fb4332f4158
  • Chigenkaiona - Dreamweaver
    Chigenkaiona - Dreamweaver Posts: 756 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    this thread reminds me of the time someone sent in a ticket because i was shooting toothbrush fireworks in a tw whilst we were charm-r*ping them in their base.

is your fps lower because of firework spamming?

Could you get banned for that LOL? Sounds fun....
  • Arawin - Raging Tide
    Arawin - Raging Tide Posts: 256 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I've seen the angelica log file build up to over 10mb of text... spamming about out of memory errors. Kinda crazy. It'd be nice if they posted a fix. (Or "let" others post about how to fix it... Since crashing is no fun.)
  • TCHP - Lost City
    TCHP - Lost City Posts: 577 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    1 years ago I played PWI on a dual core AMD 1.8 Ghz whit a 260 GTX from nvidia. TW was ok until the tideborn and earthguard came in the game. I got fps close to 3-5 per sec, has it drop to 1 whit the new race.

I opted to change the system for a fx-6100 and a gtx 560ti whit 8 gi of ram. on win 7 64 bit. I do get more fps in tw whit lot of ppl rarely drop under 5 fps.

The things I learn is PWI run on the CPU most. For a reason idk, intel seem to do better whit the game. PWI uses around 10% of my video card at all time. While the 6 core uses 50% to 75%. and FPS don't improve or get worst if I run 2 client on the same screen.

Droping resolution does absolutely nothing. The only way to get better FPS is to drop all the effect and range option.

I also change comodo firewall to a less taxing protection, comodo used to make the game stop every 10 15 sec. never found why.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • skaitavia
    skaitavia Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I get about 10-15 fps in an enemy base with 100+ people around spamming skills on 2/4 effects setting on a nvidia geforce 550ti gfxcard with 2gb ddr3 ram.

I'm about to get another to sli bridge to see if that'll help or not. If not then more gpu power for other games and applications! XD
  • Heleghir - Raging Tide
    Heleghir - Raging Tide Posts: 241 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    outside enemy base, i'm capped at 80 fps on max settings. inside enemy base with 10 million aoes and 100-120 people on screen at once, i switch to best perform and drop to about 10-15 fps.

CPU: 2 Intel Core2Duo @ 2.4 per core
    GPU: 4GB nVidia 9800 GTX overclocked
    RAM: 16GB ddr3

also have a PhysX accelerator in a PCI slot to help boost the graphic performance
    The people and friends we have lost, or the dreams that have faded...never forget them! ~~ Summoner Yuna, FFX

[SIGPIC]NYA~~[/SIGPIC]
  • Nariin - Dreamweaver
    Nariin - Dreamweaver Posts: 890 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    0-2 ._. 2 if I'm lucky. Oh I don't miss TW at all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
    Want a custom faction/fav icon? Look no further! Visit my 👿 Icon Repository in the Fanatics Forum.
    ~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
    ^ but please, for the love of god, read the first page before making requests (UPDATED)
  • DeffyNature - Archosaur
    DeffyNature - Archosaur Posts: 1,400 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Well let's just say I stopped fighting back when i get attacked, since I get to see I'm dead or even rezed in the spawn zones before ever spotting my attacker lol . Luckily, that is the case when the lag is at its best, which isn't often. I'd say around 5 fps is my average.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CroPsy - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2013
    Skaitavia wrote: »
    I'm about to get another to sli bridge to see if that'll help or not. If not then more gpu power for other games and applications! XD
    You won't see any difference in PWI. There is even possibility that you will get lower FPS with SLI enabled b:laugh
    also have a PhysX accelerator in a PCI slot to help boost the graphic performance
    Since PWI doesn't use PhysX, there is no use of that.
  • theflamefoxy
    theflamefoxy Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I think I had around 10-15 fps average at one point by the enemy base (in the only tw I've ever done lol). That was quite a long time ago though so cant really remember. The lowest fps I've ever gotten in pwi is probably 5 fps @ overseer aeban just b4 nw b:shocked

Build: i7 2700k @ 4.8 - gtx 680 - 16gb 1600/9/9/9/24
  • SteelStar - Heavens Tear
    SteelStar - Heavens Tear Posts: 469 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Lowest ever was around 15 with max settings at 1920x1080*2.

AMD FX8320 @ 4.2 GHZ
    16 GB of DDR3 2150 4-4-4-12
    500 WD Velocity Raptor (Sata 6.0)
    AMD 7950 3GB 1020/1570

I want a SSD, but they aren't reliable enough to meet my standards.
    It's a game and I'm proud to be a stupid fail demon barb!
    My EPIC Fail Demon Barb has 40k/48k HP and my stat points are as follows:
    VIT 552 STR 310 DEX 60! b:surrender
  • bluestuffzzz
    bluestuffzzz Posts: 627 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Lowest ever was around 15 with max settings at 1920x1080*2.

AMD FX8320 @ 4.2 GHZ
    16 GB of DDR3 2150 4-4-4-12
    500 WD Velocity Raptor (Sata 6.0)
    AMD 7950 3GB 1020/1570

I want a SSD, but they aren't reliable enough to meet my standards.

If you ever get some spare cash, I'd definitely suggest making a purchase on a cheap SSD. Throw your OS and most core programs/games on the SSD, and use your HDD for storage and less used programs/games.

It will be worth it. I partitioned my drive with a dual boot for Windows 8 & Ubuntu. Both boot up from the start in less than 30 seconds flat. I'm not a fan of W8, but that extra speed boost in boot-up is worth it.

Also, nice CPU. I recently decided to OC my i7 2700k to 4.8ghz.
    I host an Ecatomb mirror here: ecatomb.gdevtalk.net
    I've been actively playing since late 2008.
    Youtube: youtube.com/user/thecryotonic
  • Hellies - Harshlands
    Hellies - Harshlands Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I've been testing PWI on some older laptops with similar 3DMark performance graphics cards. Both had 2GB DDR2 RAM.

Intel Core Duo 2,16Ghz (nVidia Quadro NVS 110M - GeForce7 not designed for games) seem to handle the game much better then a Pentium M 2,16Ghz (GeForce 6600Go). The first one is a dual core CPU. I assume that while PWI engine might only use 1 core. The other services running on your system might be directed to another less busy core. TW 80 vs 80 people on the dual core is smooth even in enemy base (if you can call 5-10fps in enemy base smooth) with basic effects on (to see BOA, DGs, etc), customizations off, proxy visuals, displying my name turned off and distance set to 45 max. Too many special gfx effects might require to set distance to 30 in enemy base.

Both cards used 185.85 DocX optimised drivers for Windows 7/Vista.

In NW there is no lag at all on the dual core laptop even with all effects turned on and distance set to 75-100. Playing on the Pentium M laptop is a really painful and frustrating experience though.

And BTW if you live outside the US/Canada you can reduce high ping with a "latency fixing program" that will modify some settings in the windows registry. I don't know if I can post any links here so just posting the name.