does pwi run ok on windows 8

DeathrougeX - Sanctuary
DeathrougeX - Sanctuary Posts: 4 Arc User
edited August 2013 in Support Desk
i want to get the new version of windows but the only thing holding me back is, will pwi run ok on windows 8...

so if ya know can you plz tell me
Post edited by DeathrougeX - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Mor_Toran - Sanctuary
    Mor_Toran - Sanctuary Posts: 457 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Runs just as well on 8 as it did on 7. Why would you expect anything different?
    "No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style." - Steven Brust, Yendi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yeah, I'm that good. b:chuckle
  • finalsnake
    finalsnake Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    For me it doesnt work, I try install with file I had and said "Error uncompressed zip data" or something like that.... so I try to download game from site and same problem b:shocked
  • Sizzer - Raging Tide
    Sizzer - Raging Tide Posts: 2,387 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    READ all the details on Download Page before you download the game again you will FIND your answer easily. Thanks !b:pleased
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dream a dream of a life so new, One brimming with potential,
    Of starting again, leaving all behind, Only happiness is essential. b:victory
    Thanks Silvy for the siggy, You are the best ! b:kiss
  • comatose1983
    comatose1983 Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Don't run out to your local Wal-mart in a hurry to get Windows 8. It's really no better then Windows 7, its layout is just different. I been trying for 3 days now on how to figure out how to run PWI on Windows 8 and still cant get it to work. Windows 8 has problems accepting DirectX 9.0c which is what PWI requires to run all because Windows 8 already comes "pre-loaded" with the newest version of DirectX which is DirectX 11. So me personally for the time being I don't recommend anyone who is a daily PWI player to get Windows 8 on their PC until PWI or Microsoft get off their butts and fix the problem. Microsoft could create a patch download for Windows 8 users or PWI could just make their client able to accept DirectX 11. I guess it all comes down to who feels like doing it first. But anyways good luck with your decision, but for now I'd stick with w/e OS you have now if its running PWI fine.

Windows 8 = b:angry

Happy Farming,
    CoMa
  • Mor_Toran - Sanctuary
    Mor_Toran - Sanctuary Posts: 457 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Even though it's "pre-loaded" with DX11, it still doesn't have the 9.0c dll's that the client needs.

PWI fixed the issue by including the installer for the DirectX dll's in the client download. (They did this long before Windows 8 was available publicly.)
    "No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style." - Steven Brust, Yendi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yeah, I'm that good. b:chuckle
  • SonofAnarchy - Dreamweaver
    SonofAnarchy - Dreamweaver Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Mines had an issue when I updated to Win 8 but I just verified the files and it updated those that had become corrupt during the upgrade. Now it runs just fine.
  • Miqqo - Harshlands
    Miqqo - Harshlands Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    No new issues with W8 here. Just my dual boot solution makes the game unable to update forcing me to go back to Win 7 in order to update (File Folder Corrupted). Game is installed on separate data partition and works in both OS (except the update in W8).

I do think performance is slightly worse so far in Windows 8, but this could be due to immature graphics drivers and the issue could get fixed in future releases.
  • Selak - Dreamweaver
    Selak - Dreamweaver Posts: 462 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Mines had an issue when I updated to Win 8 but I just verified the files and it updated those that had become corrupt during the upgrade. Now it runs just fine.

Same here works fine after verify. b:pleased
    There are old Warriors, and bold Warriors,
    but there are very few old bold Warriors. b:chuckle
  • AllyBaby - Sanctuary
    AllyBaby - Sanctuary Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    mine downloads but after downloading it pulls up a notepad doc that reads

[autorun]
    open=Install.exe4
    icon=icon.ico

i looked in the pwi folder and there is no Install.exe and im so totally lost now b:cryb:cryb:cry any advice b:cute
  • Danoria_ - Lost City
    Danoria_ - Lost City Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I had that pop up too. I just went into the file that downloaded and clicked on the file that says "install".

I'm still having problems though because my characters don't show up when I log in on my new computer. Working on verifying now to see if that might fix it.
  • rai13
    rai13 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    For whatever reason, I can't get the game to download. After I click "direct download" (because I don't have the torrent) it gives me the Run or Save option. I've tried both but after confirming on my computer that I want to "make the change" it doesn't do anything. Please help b:surrender

(If I had known windows 8 was gonna give me this much of a problem, I would have stuck with 7 b:angry )
  • bloodydimples
    bloodydimples Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    It does work with Windows 8 I just patched it with Patch 1 and 2, and it works beautifully. c: b:victoryb:byeb:victory
  • Protarius - Archosaur
    Protarius - Archosaur Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    It doesnt work for me either, just downloaded the installer, try to open it, it askes me for permission to open, I click in yes, thinks 1 sec and nothing happens. Have tried to run it on compatibility mode for every Windows that appears on the list, nothing, as admin, nothing..... please help!

b:angry Windows 8
  • SwiiftArk - Sanctuary
    SwiiftArk - Sanctuary Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Won't even install on my new laptop. Tried literally everything mentioned in other threads. I had issues with Jade Dynasty too, Windows 8 is a giant pile of **** :C
  • djdmc
    djdmc Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Originally Posted by SylenThunder - Sanctuary View Post

1. Download and install torrent software. (I recommend utorrent.)
    2. Click on the "Download Torrent" link on the Downloads page.
    3. Once the download is finished, go to the directory your completed downloads are in and you will see a file named "PWI_v676_Installer.rar".
    This is a compressed file. you will need something to unpack it. (I use ALZip)
    If you right-click on the file, there should be an option to "Extract to 'PWI_v676_Installer\'". Click that and it will unpack the file into a directory with the same name as the file.
    4. Temporarily disable the active scan for your antivirus software.
    5. Once the file is done unpacking, navigate to that folder. (Hint: It should be "utorrent\Downloads\PWI_v676_Installer".
    6. In this folder there is a file called "install.exe". Run it. (If you have Vista or newer, right-click and choose "Run as Administrator.)
    7. Follow the directions to install the client.
    8. After the client is done installing, add the directory where it installed to the exceptions list for your antivirus software. (The default folder location is "C:\Perfect World Entertainment\Perfect World International")
    9. Launch the client using the icon that was placed on your desktop during the install and let it update.
    8b. Launch the client and then close it before it updates, and then download the manual patches needed to bring the client up to date and install them. (Manual method is about 80% faster than automatic.)
    10. Play

Read step 1 carefully. >.<
    Originally Posted by SylenThunder - Sanctuary View Post
  • kuroodialovett
    kuroodialovett Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    where does one find this download. I am new and I'm ready to get started. I have a new computer so it came with windows 8
  • SweetieBot - Lothranis
    SweetieBot - Lothranis Posts: 18,978 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    where does one find this download. I am new and I'm ready to get started. I have a new computer so it came with windows 8
    NECROOO!!!!!!!

kuroodialovett replied to a message that was 6 months 15 days 4 hours 3 minutes old.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I only respond if you begin a line with "SweetieBot", read the link below for commands
    SweetieBot FAQ / Usage: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1566451

• cheesecan
    cheesecan Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    NECROOO!!!!!!!

kuroodialovett replied to a message that was 6 months 15 days 4 hours 3 minutes old.

And so did we......lol

NECRO PARTAY!!!!! They are all over :D
    If you CAN'T, Cheese CAN!!!