anyone know a good way to get herbs besides picking?

Options
falionscript
falionscript Posts: 12 Arc User
edited January 2013 in General Discussion
I need a better way to get the herbs I need for apothecary, please help me, or if you know another way for a lvl14 cleric to make money, then I'm all ears and I'm not adverse to coming along on a quest to keep u alive
Post edited by falionscript on

Comments

• Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Buy them from other players.
    That's really the only other option.
  • falionscript
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Is there any other effective ways to make money?

Or maybe an easier skill? One that's easier and just as prophitable to gather for
  • DeadRaven - Sanctuary
    DeadRaven - Sanctuary Posts: 407 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Options
    I use to just pick any herbs/mats that I saw while questing in a specific area. You should be able to get all that you will require to level your manufacturing skills that way with relative ease. Also, they always spawn in the same spot so once you find one, just return to that spot after 10 minutes while questing to gather it again. (edit: I use to play with a stop watch beside me lol....but that was back in the day when everyone would fight over each mat/herb to be found on the map...not many bother to farm mats/herbs anymore though)

At level 14, you can get all the money you will need for basic stuff like gears or weapons just from doing your quests. If you are wanting to purchase a mount or fashion, you will need to spend real life money or just wait until you get higher in level to make some significant in-game coin :(
  • falionscript
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Well I'm a cleric and from what I've seen clerics can usually make good money by tagging along on a quest with someone else and offering quick healing, protection, and reviving etc etc
  • DeadRaven - Sanctuary
    DeadRaven - Sanctuary Posts: 407 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Well I'm a cleric and from what I've seen clerics can usually make good money by tagging along on a quest with someone else and offering quick healing, protection, and reviving etc etc

That might be applicable in other MMO's but that has never really been the case in PWI because clerics essentially need other classes as much as they need us. If clerics started charging for heals then sins would charge for APS, barbs would charge to be tanks, venos would change for debuffs, etc. (and sometimes this happens but most people will just tell you to **** off and find someone else to squad with).

Sometimes people will help out other classes with thier expenses (ie. tanks for repairs, clerics for rez scrolls, etc.) but that's about it.

If you were looking to make a character that makes good money in game, clerics would not be the best choice. They are however the best class in the game b:victory

(okay, that was a totally bias opinion coming from someone whose main is a cleric lol)
  • HrunsPanda - Archosaur
    HrunsPanda - Archosaur Posts: 1,136 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Options
    You say you are level 14. At those levels, you should not yet need to be worrying about money. If you just pick up the coins and drops from everything you kill for your quests and sell this to NPCs (some things can be sold to other players, but at this level its not so much) you will have enough money to keep paying for your potions and upgrading your skills.

Being a higher level makes it easier to make money. Therefore i would advice you to only just keep leveling by doing your quests and have just enough money to upgrade your skills and buy the potions you need.

I will now list some methods to make money + the requirements to do so:

-Picking herbs, timber, iron, stone etc. Find an area that has all these things in close proximity. Find yourself an efficient circle in this area where there are short walking spaces between the materials to gather and the whole circle should take like 10 minutes so that everything is respawned when you get there again. Pick up everything without being selective and sell it on the auction house or with a catshop. The revenue will vary from roughly 100k per hour to 500k per hour maybe. Things that help increase the revenue are to have a flyer (you get one for free at lvl 30) and to be higher level where you can harvest more valuable mats.

-Farming leather and oil. These are the most wanted mats that drop from mobs. There are different versions at different levels. Note that if you are a higher level than the mobs, their droprate decreases, so dont farm mobs too much below your level. Google for the info on where to find the best mobs to grind. Reward greatly depends on your killing speed and choosing the right area. For example if you can kill 200 mobs per hour and they have a 15% drop rate, that means you get about 30 mats that sell for maybe 8k each. Total 200k per hour. The mats at later levels sell for more coins than the early level ones, and rewards could go up to 500k per hour or so. Other characters are more efficient doing this than your cleric.

-Farming instances at higher levels. Around level 80 or so you can start farming Twighlight Temple with a squad. Revenue should be in the 500k - 1m per hour range probably. After lvl 100, you can farm nirvana and warsong. Nirvana farming has recently died though :) Your cleric will be wanted in squads and thus initially when squads are needed, you have a good char for this. Later on, where you may get really powerfull, these instances can be solo farmed, but usually this is done by sins or BMs. Seekers and barbs can do so with the right build, but clerics really are not so convenient for solo farming. The level of power where solo farming is gonna be an option for any character however is only obtainable by a) spending 1000$+ real life dollars, b)being a really good merchant and doing this for at least several months, more likely a year, c) farming 80 hours a week for 2 years.

-Low level merchanting. You can set up your catshop for example selling stones for the dayly stoned quest. Or you can try and buy leather at the place where the leather dropping mobs are and sell it near a blacksmith forge. There are many opportunities. You want to have a few coins to start doing this, but you dont need a lot, a million should be plenty. Revenue i dont know, since i skipped this part of merchanting.

-Mid level merchanting. Put up a buy and sell shop for tokens, mirages, cannies or perfect stones. An investment capital of 5m is really minimal, a few dozen m is convenient. 50m - 100m to get the maximum out of it. Reward can be a few m per day if your shop is online 24 hours and you pay regular attention to it.

-High level merchanting. But gold at the AH when it is cheap. Use this gold to buy packages or items on offer. Sell these items in your catshop. Advisable investment capital 50m+. Rewards i dont know, i have always been a mid level merchant.

This is just a short list of what comes to mind. These are the most common methods of making money with the most common examples included. There probably are plenty of other methods. Thinking of your own methods might be better than doing what everyone else does.
  • Allisandre - Sanctuary
    Allisandre - Sanctuary Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Options
    I'm a little surprised they haven't added those to the boutique like the rest of the crafting mats for the super lazy people.
    Take the time to look for your answer before you post like an idiot.

There are two kinds of people in this world...
    There are those who panic,
    And then there is us.
    ~ Sarah Jane Smith
  • Lucy_a - Sanctuary
    Lucy_a - Sanctuary Posts: 216 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Here are some useful tips :

1. Get the Dreamchaser Pack for your toon so you wont have to worry bout armor and weapon till ur level 60. (u also get teleport stones, a mount, flyer and other potions and buff pills from it )

It is free ,the info about it can be found here:

http://pwi.perfectworld.com/news/?p=804581

2.Do your quests.

I just made an archer yesterday on Momaganon and i had all the coin i needed for skills (because really...thats the only thing u have to spend on if you have the Dreamchaser Pack).

Do your quests the coin reward is pretty good.

3.Get your free charms every day,so you wont need to use pots.

The npc "Harbringer of Fortune Woyn" is located near the Elder in City of the Plume.
    You can get a free mp and hp charm from him every day till ur lvl 60,which means you wont have to spend coins on pots at all till ur lvl 60.

4.When u are level 20-22 and are ready to go to Archosaur (the main city in PWI) , go to the western outskirts of the city and kill the "green cat mobs".
    Those drop Rough Fur which sell quiet well (15.000-20.000 /piece on sanctuary)
    The same goes for Purified Oil ,that is dropped by bug mobs( around lvl 25 i think).

5.Read it up,which skills are worth leveling and at what pace.

You can visit the cleric section for this,on the forums.
    This can help you save money.

6. When you reach Archosaur look for the Autumn Harbringer npc (or his crew xD ).
    He will give you a quest that will award you AT LEAST 50.000 coins on a DAILY basis.

Making money isnt that difficult,u just gotta know how.

Good luck!

Have fun!

PS : Clerics are very useful later on and you will always get a squad.b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thank you for the awesome siggy Silvy <3

// LVL. 8x Mystic // LVL. 8x Cleric // LVL. 8x Veno //

Request a free drawing of your character: The Fanatics Forum>>>Lucy's Sketchbook b:mischievous
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Options
    I'd also like to point out that if you want herbs for profit; then anything that made them easier to get hold of would reduce demand, and thus the profit.