Different TW Maps: 1 for each territory

Options
Balmmaker - Archosaur
Balmmaker - Archosaur Posts: 34 Arc User
edited January 2013 in Suggestion Box
This suggestion will REVIVE THE GAME! I guarantee it -- this will get a lot of people's attention and certainly attract new players to the game. I am actually excited just to write it up. Please listen as I really want this!! (I mentioned it on vent and the response I got was overwelming-- every player was like, "OMG! That would be awesome.")

One of the strongest and coolest aspects of Perfect World is the Territories and fighting over territory between factions and owning part of the map. This is a very real strength and a one of the coolest element of PWI that makes it unique. And it's always best to improve upon your strengths. :)

So my suggestion is: make a different and unique territory battle zone for each and every territory on the map. Also, and this is key: remove the use of flying from Territory War instances.

This will do the following and this is my TOP 10 Reasons:
1) add variety to territory wars (very important)
2) make it so different strategies can be used for each battle (right now, a faction can develop one plan that works well and use it over and over again.)
3) give the 'home team' (the faction that owns the territory) an real advantage because they know that map really well because they have fought on it a lot...they will learn what works for that map and so can defend it better.
4) I think adding this content will really shut up all the players complaining about no new content.
5) the current map does not allow you to take much advantage of the terrain (eg. hiding, capturing different key spots on the map)...most factions just charge up the middle of Lane B in a straight line...pretty boring tactically. Different maps that allow for flanking and surprising the enemy by coming from different directions would be fantastic.
6) By removing flying from the instance, you add the component of making hills, terrain and reconnaissance much more important. By capturing high points that are visually looking out over the field of battle you would be able to have commanders see where the enemy is for real advantage. This would add a really cool element to TW!
7) Different maps could have different walled defenses (I'm thinking cities in particular) or rely more on towers where others are all about hills, valleys, and holding choke points where it really narrows. There is so much you could do with this!
8) currently, it doesn't make sense that you always fight in the same place! It's weird. The game would actually seem much more consistent if a territory up north near FC was an ice and mountain territory to fight over where other areas, like around scorpion valley are desert and cliffs. Around Raging Tides you could have a water element with people swimming (and perhaps able to do sneak attacks by swimming and being invisible to those on land.) Also, maps need not be symmetrical! No real life battlefield is. Attackers should have a totally different experience from defenders on the same map.
9) Because each territory is entered via a teleporter as a separate instance: speaking as a programmer, this should be fairly simple to implement into the game.
10) By implementing a bunch of different (and perhaps larger?) TW maps, it would add a whole new dimension to the game and I guarantee it would get people even more addicted.

Please seriously consider this as this would make the game for me!

P.S. World of ******** has different "Battlegrounds" like "Alterac Valley" which are really cool for strategy and group fighting -- but the weakness is: you can never capture it or own it and players fight over it all the time day in and day out yet it doesn't have any real sense of location on the world map. PWI, by contrast, already has this built into the game.

P.P.S. It will be a challenge to make the maps fair...but real life terrain is never completely fair to attackers and defenders and these can be changed in updates. For a fresh TW season and battles for unheld territories...spawn both factions near each other in the center of the map and make it a race to first capture the side they want and activate their crystal. From then on, the defender decides which side of the map they wish to defend. The depth of coolness this will add is huge.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by Balmmaker - Archosaur on

Comments

• Nariin - Dreamweaver
    Nariin - Dreamweaver Posts: 890 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Options
    I was really dissapointed when I first figured there is only one TW map. I don't TW now, but I agree, it's boring.
    You fight for snow area - plain grass map
    desert area - plain grass map
    tideborn area - plain grass map

Though.
    3) give the 'home team' (the faction that owns the territory) an real advantage because they know that map really well because they have fought on it a lot...they will learn what works for that map and so can defend it better.
    I don't think that's a good thing. It would make factions always choosing same areas and have same strategies. Already strong faction would have even more advantage, holding those territories for for long and becoming even more difficult to beat.

Unless maps would not stay exactly the same. At least on every TW reset. Something like seed auto generate map (which fits into each area ofcourse). ;)
    4) I think adding this content will really shut up all the players complaining about no new content.
    Nothing will ever make players shut up.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
    Want a custom faction/fav icon? Look no further! Visit my 👿 Icon Repository in the Fanatics Forum.
    ~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
    ^ but please, for the love of god, read the first page before making requests (UPDATED)
  • Apostasy - Raging Tide
    Apostasy - Raging Tide Posts: 1,197 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Options
    The TW maps should reflect the actual map of that territory. If you are attacking a city, have the attackers attacking the city in that instance. If there is mountainous terraon, woods, rivers, desert, major trenches (scorp valley etc), ice, lava, etc. Day and night should apply as well, according to what the "time" is in that area if you were not in the instance at all but in that territory. You could make a random generator I suppose, but only if somewhat random and superimposed on what that territory looks like. I would hope they keep the maps very close to the overland map it represents.

+1 OP. THIS IS A VERY GOOD IDEA PWE... IMPLEMENTING IT = MORE MONEY FOR YOU.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mogwai
    mogwai Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Options
    1,2,3,5,7,8,9,10 = 100% agreed

4 = agree with Nariin

6 = no
    mmorpg is R'lyehian for: Innumerable quantities of grown babies
    discussing & often complaining about the imaginary.
    [SIGPIC]http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1618000&dateline=1316204434[/SIGPIC]
  • fourkneekate
    fourkneekate Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Options
    So many good ideas! I especially like the remove flying one, make it like an instance challenge ppl just a little more...
  • Jeremied - Sanctuary
    Jeremied - Sanctuary Posts: 2,259 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Options
    I've always found it annoying that each territory has the same map. Perhaps something easy to implement like simple texture swapping/area features. (Tideborn areas should have the mushrooms found in the area instead of/plus trees, for example) That's not too hard to do.

Simple map edits like moving the bases to opposite corners for one map, or making one with a river system that bridges the two bases could lead to some interesting battles.
    You could make a random generator I suppose, but only if somewhat random and superimposed on what that territory looks like. I would hope they keep the maps very close to the overland map it represents.

b:beg Don't ask them to make a random terrain generation system, I beg you! I can just imagine the choppy texturing, giant mesh holes to fall into, invisible mountains, missing or buried crystals, bleh. Pretty sure PWI is not a game that could support a procedural terrain generator, that's way out of it's league. At least not with the current dev team.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~Demon as of 5/6/12 - On the night where the moon is closer to the earth and brighter than any other night in the past 18 years.~

Slow and steady stays alive~ I'm in no rush, I'm enjoying the journey to end game just as it was ment to be. b:victory
    "You sir, are why I love clerics <3" < Liba - Heaven's Tear
    b:thanks Well thank you Liba<3
  • Balmmaker - Archosaur
    edited October 2012
    Options
    I've always found it annoying that each territory has the same map...

Simple map edits like moving the bases to opposite corners for one map, or making one with a river system that bridges the two bases could lead to some interesting battles.

Agreed! It's amazing how a few small changes can alter a battle entirely. The whole point is: let's make the battles interesting. (Also thinking of all battle maps for First Person Shooters...can you imagine a FSP succeeding with just one map??)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sirrobert - Dreamweaver
    Sirrobert - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,395 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Options
    While 1 map for every single territory is abit over the top, I would LOVE 4 or 5 different maps.

Ofcourse they all need to keep the same base layout. 2 bases, 3 lanes connecting them. Just for the looks would be enough for me
    9 out of 10 voices in my head say I'm not crazy... the 10th is singing the music of tetris
  • Nariin - Dreamweaver
    Nariin - Dreamweaver Posts: 890 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Options
    At least make a map for each type of terrain.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Want a custom faction/fav icon? Look no further! Visit my 👿 Icon Repository in the Fanatics Forum.
    ^ but please, for the love of god, read the first page before making requests (UPDATED)
  • Balmmaker - Archosaur
    edited October 2012
    Options
    I don't think that's (giving factions the same map to fight over repeatedly) a good thing. It would make factions always choosing same areas and have same strategies. Already strong faction would have even more advantage, holding those territories for for long and becoming even more difficult to beat.

One way to deal with this could be -- make an practice instance that factions can practice! So factions can try out different strategies and potentially take down the owner of the land.

Besides, factions should have the way to practice TW anyway. (I have to admit, this idea came from another faction member who was asking for this ability.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MetzliDemon - Harshlands
    MetzliDemon - Harshlands Posts: 354 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Options
    I agree with that idea of different maps :D
    Would be more challenging for factions if they were on an unknow map ;)
    MetzliDemon - 102 Celestial Demon Assassin f:grin
    AmyDemon - 96 Demon Cleric
    ShekmetDemon - 81 Venomancer
    MictianDemon - 68 Blademaster
    HecateDemon - 60 Mystic
    AhrinamDemon - 50 Psychic
    AliahDemon - 24 Seeker
    And there's a 75 Barbarian too! f:cute
  • Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands
    Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands Posts: 7,231 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Options
    I didn't read all the posts tbh, but yes i would like that they change TW map, i suggested in the past that they do some totally in the air and in water, so people might try to get genie with skills that work in water or in the air.

That would be nice to see some change like that. =^-^=
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

b:dirty "I **** rainbows and love everyone"-Longknife b:cute
  • krisnda
    krisnda Posts: 4,655 Community Moderator
    edited October 2012
    Options
    One way to deal with this could be -- make an practice instance that factions can practice! So factions can try out different strategies and potentially take down the owner of the land.

I had this idea a long time ago, when Guild Bases came out. That there should be a instance where guild members could mas pvp each other, with no fear of losing items, because it was in their own base, and there could be options on team v team, or just free for all.
  • Kitkate - Dreamweaver
    Kitkate - Dreamweaver Posts: 869 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Options
    I like the idea of changing tw up a bit. The same map over and over is boring. We just need not so lazy devs now. :P
  • eagle4hawk
    eagle4hawk Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Options
    I really like this idea! And it seems obvious that the same sort of thing should apply to Nation Wars. All the NW territories and you only fight in the same place? C'mon PWI! Mix it up a little.
  • opkossy
    opkossy Posts: 11,177 Community Moderator
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Nice idea, though a good bit of work unless we copy/pasted the world map into TW instances.

However a necro is a necro and you're able to create your own topics so this isn't one that I'd simply ignore.
    (Insert fancy image here)
This discussion has been closed.