Best class for a supportitve main? :)

Options
neonocturne
neonocturne Posts: 0 Arc User
edited January 2013 in General Discussion
Now I know clerics the obvious choice, but mystic and Psychic sound like alot of fun..... (more for me, which os the flashiest :)) I also love debuffs...so if any of those 3 have heals and debuffs that would be a factor...thank you :) Imjust a huge fan of support overall...I just love keeping people alive moreso than doing the killing :P :') The question is misleading..im not aasking for the absolutee best support, more so, getting opinions on each from people if each was in a support role :) if there are any classes with party support i missed out, feel free to say :)
Post edited by neonocturne on

Comments

• Runemine - Dreamweaver
    Runemine - Dreamweaver Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Psy is pretty much killing besides 1 heal and a buff that usually screws the users mana unless its sage.

Mystic can DD quite a bit with decent heals and tanking capability and also temp buffs that reduce damage and aoe heals with lastly res buff which is useful.

Clerics ofc massive heals, buffs, BB, RB, but with minimal attacking capability.

In the end it is what you like.

The original debuff/support class though is a BM with there aoe stun to stop the damage and several very powerful aoe debuffs to kill em fast and tons of aes to kill them themselves with high tanking capability. But you want a healing class and well BMs can only heal themselves lol.
    101 Blademaster(Pro/Fail 4.0 BM with 11k base HP+G16(+10))
    100 Seeker(The Vortex Beast)
    86 Assassin(Solo king)
    76 Archer(Squishy Nuker)
    72 Cleric(Horrible healer)
    67 Barb(Buff baby)
    61 Wizard(King Aoe)
    37 Mystic(Fun project)
  • mrcharlyplustwo
    mrcharlyplustwo Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Options
    .I just love keeping people alive moreso than doing the killing :P :') .

Cleric.

Everyone loves clerics, but not necessarily playing them. That's because being a cleric in a squad isn't restful.

Mystic is a good alternative and I think more capable of soloing. Their ress buff is incredibly useful and the falling petals regeneration skill is awesome. I've been sole support on quite a few dungeon runs and managed ok. Mystics can tank reasonably well, so in the event of plans going awry, a mystic can save a squad from complete whipe.
  • neonocturne
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Guess ill make a cleric first, then make a mystic some other day P thankss
  • Apostasy - Raging Tide
    Apostasy - Raging Tide Posts: 1,197 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Now I know clerics the obvious choice, but mystic and Psychic sound like alot of fun..... (more for me, which os the flashiest :)) I also love debuffs...so if any of those 3 have heals and debuffs that would be a factor...thank you :) Imjust a huge fan of support overall...I just love keeping people alive moreso than doing the killing :P :') The question is misleading..im not aasking for the absolutee best support, more so, getting opinions on each from people if each was in a support role :) if there are any classes with party support i missed out, feel free to say :)

Well, after clerics I would definitely think mystics, but you mentioned psychics and you are in luck... Being a psychic myself, I can tell you all about the type of support a psychic can provide b:pleased

As far as the type of support a psychic provides, THIS b:question => "Psy is pretty much killing besides 1 heal and a buff that usually screws the users mana unless its sage." <= obviously does not play a psychic. - um... NOPE... as far as Healing goes, sure 1 aoe heal that is castable every 30 seconds (L.10), every 30 seconds & has a purify component (Sage), or every 25 seconds (Demon).

From morai we have two more spells that can provide nice support in this same direction. Psionic Link (suggested) allows the psychic to take all non-auto attack damage instead of the target getting that damage for 15 seconds (now if a squishy is going toe to toe with an aps or hard hitter, this will not help). Says right on the skill i believe, takes skill & spell damage.

There is also Spirit Phalanx (depends on situation and how well you know who you are casting it on, and probably giving a heads up too, or you could really **** off / troll people with this one b:chuckle). This one should be used IF the acting tank is down hps and healer drops or IF healer is being attacked and is almost dead (and you are able to "hicup" the situation in order to get things under control). This skill will do exactly the same as IG to your target for 10 seconds... BUT when the stun effect wears off, they will be back to 100% hps. This can also be used as IG for yourself or perhaps very effectively with a well coordinated squad... just add badge of courage

"and a buff that usually screws the users mana unless its sage" lol b:cute one word : charm

Not at all, we are talking support, and support can come in many different ways... The psychic is all about these "different ways" b:sin... A psychic has plenty of skills in this arena... skills that slow, stun, immobilize, lower accuracy, and we can do all of these things "en masse" (ie. aoe ;p)...

Psychic also can make its squad untargetable, slow cooldown & effectiveness of charms and healing of our enemies OR better cooldown & effectiveness of charms & healing of our allies, soulburn (with high enough soulforce to back it up) can be used to play crowd control or buy time vs players, slow channeling time of enemies, sap chi (the mo zun demon skill, not sure about sage's equivalent skill there), and play live bait in white voodoo...

And I am just naming these off the top of my head, so there might be a few things i'm missing as well. Hope this helps as far as understanding a bit on the side of support as a psychic...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Chigenkaiona - Dreamweaver
    Chigenkaiona - Dreamweaver Posts: 756 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Cleric.

Everyone loves clerics, but not necessarily playing them. That's because being a cleric in a squad isn't restful.

Mystic is a good alternative and I think more capable of soloing. Their ress buff is incredibly useful and the falling petals regeneration skill is awesome. I've been sole support on quite a few dungeon runs and managed ok. Mystics can tank reasonably well, so in the event of plans going awry, a mystic can save a squad from complete whipe.

It's a fact mystics>cleric in solo ability, mainly because of their pets. But as far as "supportive"goes, NOTHING can beat cleric's BB. That's the best support skill not due to heal itself but damage reduction incoming 50%.
  • neonocturne
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Well, after clerics I would definitely think mystics, but you mentioned psychics and you are in luck... Being a psychic myself, I can tell you all about the type of support a psychic can provide b:pleased

As far as the type of support a psychic provides, THIS b:question => "Psy is pretty much killing besides 1 heal and a buff that usually screws the users mana unless its sage." <= obviously does not play a psychic. - um... NOPE... as far as Healing goes, sure 1 aoe heal that is castable every 30 seconds (L.10), every 30 seconds & has a purify component (Sage), or every 25 seconds (Demon).

From morai we have two more spells that can provide nice support in this same direction. Psionic Link (suggested) allows the psychic to take all non-auto attack damage instead of the target getting that damage for 15 seconds (now if a squishy is going toe to toe with an aps or hard hitter, this will not help). Says right on the skill i believe, takes skill & spell damage.

There is also Spirit Phalanx (depends on situation and how well you know who you are casting it on, and probably giving a heads up too, or you could really **** off / troll people with this one b:chuckle). This one should be used IF the acting tank is down hps and healer drops or IF healer is being attacked and is almost dead (and you are able to "hicup" the situation in order to get things under control). This skill will do exactly the same as IG to your target for 10 seconds... BUT when the stun effect wears off, they will be back to 100% hps. This can also be used as IG for yourself or perhaps very effectively with a well coordinated squad... just add badge of courage

"and a buff that usually screws the users mana unless its sage" lol b:cute one word : charm

Not at all, we are talking support, and support can come in many different ways... The psychic is all about these "different ways" b:sin... A psychic has plenty of skills in this arena... skills that slow, stun, immobilize, lower accuracy, and we can do all of these things "en masse" (ie. aoe ;p)...

Psychic also can make its squad untargetable, slow cooldown & effectiveness of charms and healing of our enemies OR better cooldown & effectiveness of charms & healing of our allies, soulburn (with high enough soulforce to back it up) can be used to play crowd control or buy time vs players, slow channeling time of enemies, sap chi (the mo zun demon skill, not sure about sage's equivalent skill there), and play live bait in white voodoo...

And I am just naming these off the top of my head, so there might be a few things i'm missing as well. Hope this helps as far as understanding a bit on the side of support as a psychic...
    Thank you for the detailed answer...that does sound like fun sppport...i think ill make all 3 eventually :) Cleric then psychic and then mystic....thank you :)
  • Apostasy - Raging Tide
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Thank you for the detailed answer...that does sound like fun sppport...i think ill make all 3 eventually :) Cleric then psychic and then mystic....thank you :)

you're welcome... it is fun... basicly it comes down to what class/classes fit your playstyle... its a game, if you aint having fun with it, whats the point of playing it?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Yin - Momaganon
    Yin - Momaganon Posts: 177 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Options
    It's a fact mystics>cleric in solo ability, mainly because of their pets. But as far as "supportive"goes, NOTHING can beat cleric's BB. That's the best support skill not due to heal itself but damage reduction incoming 50%.

I disagree that mystic is better for soloing. Of course pet can tank something but when we are talking about real challenges pet wont be much help. IH gives 15 sec healing ao yuo dont have to heal after every hit and if you got to tank something extreme cleric can use plume shell and spam heals when it is off. Sure mystics has nice skills too but when talking about soloing it is not that clear that mystic is better.
  • Apostasy - Raging Tide
    edited January 2013
    Options
    I disagree that mystic is better for soloing. Of course pet can tank something but when we are talking about real challenges pet wont be much help. IH gives 15 sec healing ao yuo dont have to heal after every hit (ADD: a cleric can multi-stack IH) and if you got to tank something extreme cleric can use plume shell and spam heals when it is off. Sure mystics has nice skills too but when talking about soloing it is not that clear that mystic is better.

I think which is better depends on :

1. gear/spell build/level.

2. the nut behind keyboard.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Yin - Momaganon
    edited January 2013
    Options
    I think which is better depends on :

1. gear/spell build/level.

2. the nut behind keyboard.

Couldnt agree more with the 2nd point.
  • Apostasy - Raging Tide
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Couldnt agree more with the 2nd point.

b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • neonocturne
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Well thank you again and yeees, FUN>alllll :P
  • mrcharlyplustwo
    mrcharlyplustwo Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Options
    I disagree that mystic is better for soloing. Of course pet can tank something but when we are talking about real challenges pet wont be much help. IH gives 15 sec healing ao yuo dont have to heal after every hit and if you got to tank something extreme cleric can use plume shell and spam heals when it is off. Sure mystics has nice skills too but when talking about soloing it is not that clear that mystic is better.

If a mystic uses their summons to tank then they will fail. Summons are best used as either DDs or protection (Salvation).

Salvation has a continuous buff that absorbs 36% of damage. Coupled with Falling Petals, a Mystic can be pretty tank-like.

I absolutely agree that Clerics are far superior to Mystics for pure support.
  • HrunsPanda - Archosaur
    HrunsPanda - Archosaur Posts: 1,136 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Of course the barb is also a very nice support character.

When you are with non overpowered squads, you are if you are doing a good job, the one who makes the run actually. You choose the battles, you make sure the mobs dont attack anyone who cant handle being attacked. You buff the squad and debuf the mobs.

End game when DDs get over powered, you get the support role of buffing and debuffing and maybe sometimes grabbing a stray mob while the DD are paying attention to another mob. Or, if the DD happened not to be as overpowered as he thought he was and dies, it is still up to you to prevent the rest from the squad from dying :)

Veno can also be a nice support char, it can do some pet pulling, some secondary tanking with his pet, it can remove positive buffs from enemies and it had some debuffs for the mobs instead. I have no experience in pvp really, but i immagine this could be a very good support class in team pvp also.
  • Crystyl - Dreamweaver
    Crystyl - Dreamweaver Posts: 112 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Options
    I have always enjoyed playing Cleric but lately the problem has become finding a good squad with people who know how to play their own class well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Actually the Mayans predicted the end of Twinkies!
  • Yin - Momaganon
    edited January 2013
    Options
    I have always enjoyed playing Cleric but lately the problem has become finding a good squad with people who know how to play their own class well.

It helps alot if you add skilled people into your friendlist and when start forming squad get most from friendlist and only if very neseccary for last spots use world chat.

If you happen to get into bad squad, act dumb and ask how you should play and try it if you can stop laughing. The game can be very enjoyable :D
  • Apostasy - Raging Tide
    edited January 2013
    Options

You can thank the people that buy & sell fc heads over WC for that b:avoid
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sylvae - Sanctuary
    Sylvae - Sanctuary Posts: 1,018 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Options
    For farming instances, maybe the pet of the mystic might have some benefit for soloing over a cleric.

But if you're talking about just grinding mobs and drops in general, cleric wins hands down. And anyone who think otherwise...

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/62/20130122105057.png/

...doesn't have a clue what they are talking about. Who needs a pet, when you can tank a swarm of mobs yourself?
  • MetzliDemon - Harshlands
    MetzliDemon - Harshlands Posts: 354 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Options
    I think best support class is definitely Mystic :)
    Everyone talked about their pets, plants, skills and so on, so I won't repeat all of that b:chuckle But I think that what makes Mystics being the best support class (for me) is the variety of skills and their effects. Some said Psychics are good support class too, and BM's, etc etc... Then if we see, all classes can be a good support class! :P
    MetzliDemon - 102 Celestial Demon Assassin f:grin
    AmyDemon - 96 Demon Cleric
    ShekmetDemon - 81 Venomancer
    MictianDemon - 68 Blademaster
    HecateDemon - 60 Mystic
    AhrinamDemon - 50 Psychic
    AliahDemon - 24 Seeker
    And there's a 75 Barbarian too! f:cute
  • Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands
    Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands Posts: 7,231 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Mystic and cleric, veno is also a support, but more for debuff and they have skills that make target die faster and easier.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

b:dirty "I **** rainbows and love everyone"-Longknife b:cute
  • skaitavia
    skaitavia Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Options
    In my opinion Venos. Hands down.

They can be supportive with their amps, purging targets, debuffing them, breaking their defenses, render the target useless via bewitch, take off 1.5 sparks from target, give chi at a constant rate, and a few more things depending on cultivation.

They can be defensive with their two "invokes", bramble hood and the morai one, have either a self purify if they're sage, or an anti stun if they're demon (both of which come with a 1 min cd), their bramble skill, a self IG (feral), soul transfusion, both hp/mp healing skills, and even fox form for the extra p def (works wonders at end-game).

With their supportive skills, they can hit hard with their offensive skills, which include lots of scarabs.

On top of all that, they have a pet that can cause a nuissance to the target by ticking their defense charms and stunning. Plus the pet system will be revamped in the near future.

So yeah, venos. Also both cultivations are extremely balanced.
  • Celestyna - Heavens Tear
    Celestyna - Heavens Tear Posts: 629 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Options
    I think every class can be played as a support personally. It all comes down to you and your game play style. My cleric was my main for several years, i have a mystic and veno as well and they all can support the team well in thier own ways
    I play very defensively on my psy in pvp and pve. She is tanky, i rarely die and i know how to support my team so they dont either if i have any control over it. Someone already commented about some of the skills which I am happy to see I am not the only one who uses them two morai skills a lot b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Nymphali - Dreamweaver
    Nymphali - Dreamweaver Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Best supporting class? Blademaster.

Cleric is not a support cleric is 'THE' healer.
    When the cleric steps on devastated grounds, flowers blossom at his feet and around.

Tank: Barbarians
    AoE DD: Archers/Wizards/Seekers
    Caster DD: Wizards/Psychics/Venomancers/Mystics
    DD: Assassin b:avoid
    Support: Venomancer/Blademaster/Mystic
    Healer: Cleric

That's how I see the class roles, blame ME for thinking like that. Hit my face and say that I'm wrong. b:scorn

Edit: Why bms.. Right
    BMs has a fast cooling down, low chi cost AoE Stun thats 100% and lasts for 6s,
    BMs are the only class able to amplify damage by 100% through Heaven's Flame skill which is AoE.
    (PS: Blood Vow/Demon Nova arent 100%)
    BMs can reduce enemies Defense with Glacial spike or attack with myriad sword stance.
    They can tank some mobs with their good AoEs/Defense, do pretty good damage with fists, reach a bit far if needed with poleblade/sword, seal things from real far (just like wizards), teleport freezing things, pull things to him with his Red Dead chain.
    Venos can overdo bms in certain conditions (DAT myriad rainbow...), but the bm is one of the (if not THE) most versatile classes in the game.
    Love Aura of the Golden Bell. Love Veno's Bramble.
  • Nymphali - Dreamweaver
    Nymphali - Dreamweaver Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Mystic and cleric, veno is also a support, but more for debuff and they have skills that make target die faster and easier.

I think assassins Rib Strike gives a better support on the defensive side of the hand.
    BM's myriad sword stance and Barbs Frighten are also awesome against many bosses.

Noxious Sovereign, Holeen: Champion Whatever, Cosmoforce, Primal Fear, Snakefist Guardian. In these and some other bosses I love veno's purge tho. I love so much veno's purge on these bosses b:victory
  • Selak - Dreamweaver
    Selak - Dreamweaver Posts: 462 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Best supporting class? Blademaster.

Cleric is not a support cleric is 'THE' healer.
    When the cleric steps on devastated grounds, flowers blossom at his feet and around.

Tank: Barbarians
    AoE DD: Archers/Wizards/Seekers
    Caster DD: Wizards/Psychics/Venomancers/Mystics
    DD: Assassin b:avoid
    Support: Venomancer/Blademaster/Mystic
    Healer: Cleric

That's how I see the class roles, blame ME for thinking like that. Hit my face and say that I'm wrong. b:scorn

Edit: Why bms.. Right
    BMs has a fast cooling down, low chi cost AoE Stun thats 100% and lasts for 6s,
    BMs are the only class able to amplify damage by 100% through Heaven's Flame skill which is AoE.
    (PS: Blood Vow/Demon Nova arent 100%)
    BMs can reduce enemies Defense with Glacial spike or attack with myriad sword stance.
    They can tank some mobs with their good AoEs/Defense, do pretty good damage with fists, reach a bit far if needed with poleblade/sword, seal things from real far (just like wizards), teleport freezing things, pull things to him with his Red Dead chain.
    Venos can overdo bms in certain conditions (DAT myriad rainbow...), but the bm is one of the (if not THE) most versatile classes in the game.
    Love Aura of the Golden Bell. Love Veno's Bramble.

Speaking from personal experience for the Psychic char it goes,

Mostly AoE DD skills, Magic tank in white voodoo, support with party healing, sage party purge negative status effects, damage relief and health restoration with new morie skills.
    Just some of the roles we can do.
    All classes can do most jobs if the char is played well.

I think that you meant DoT (Damage over time) DD for Archers/Wizards/Seekers
    There are old Warriors, and bold Warriors,
    but there are very few old bold Warriors. b:chuckle
  • Walpurga - Dreamweaver
    Walpurga - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,028 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Options
    next to clerics? I really like running bh51 with a mystic healing herb on the ground around the DDs while cleric focuses on tank, so that aoes don't kill the DDs and cleric doesn't have to deal with healing DDs
    Channels

youtube .com/user/WallyPWS Active

youtube .com/user/tehnewblife Semi Inactive